Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

CPL593H posted:

We didn't land on the moon. The moon landed on us.
Goatse was the friends we made along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Songbearer posted:

People are always so fascinated with space and all the wonders in it and space travel and whatever and I'm here to tell you your fascination is dumb and bad. Oh look they found a new planet, oh look a photo of a black hole, oh wow a cluster of stars. Great stuff except you can't do anything with that information, nobody is going to get to enjoy it because nobody will actually be able to afford going into space.

There are parts of the ocean we haven't explored "oh bloo bloo it's just as expensive to make something that can go that deep" yeah but it's still more practical and contains cool creatures we can learn things from. Sea is just reverse space and is way cooler because things have bioluminesence and your dumb stars are dead

Yo, more practical? Going to space means you need a thing that can withstand 1 atmosphere of pressure. Going to deep sea means you need a thing that can withstand 500 atmospheres of pressure. Outer space is only 100 km above sea level. Deep sea is 500 kms below sea level. Space has maybe some cosmic rays you need a lil bit of lead shielding from or you might get cancer. Deep sea has cosmic horrors, monstrosities that we can't even imagine who could crush us into paste. Even the stuff we know about is awful: sharks, jellyfish are insanely deadly and dolphins are human-level intelligent and rape and murder other species for fun. Space has cheap plentiful effective solar power everywhere and once you're out of Earth's gravity well it's basically free to go anywhere you want in the solar system. There is nothing, nothing practical about the ocean, and the best thing about space travel is it gets away from that thing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

chaosbreather posted:

Yo, more practical? Going to space means you need a thing that can withstand 1 atmosphere of pressure. Going to deep sea means you need a thing that can withstand 500 atmospheres of pressure. Outer space is only 100 km above sea level. Deep sea is 500 kms below sea level. Space has maybe some cosmic rays you need a lil bit of lead shielding from or you might get cancer. Deep sea has cosmic horrors, monstrosities that we can't even imagine who could crush us into paste. Even the stuff we know about is awful: sharks, jellyfish are insanely deadly and dolphins are human-level intelligent and rape and murder other species for fun. Space has cheap plentiful effective solar power everywhere and once you're out of Earth's gravity well it's basically free to go anywhere you want in the solar system. There is nothing, nothing practical about the ocean, and the best thing about space travel is it gets away from that thing.

The Mariana Trench is only about 11 kms deep by the way.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Hello Robin williams

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If we are as a world united with the Moon we are also binded within a whirlwind of gas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6HBZC9pZHQ

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Jesus lives on the moon with god

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's true I met them when I went up there to look at the go carts they're pretty cool dudes.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Ocean blows it's just a moist trash heap that's full of plastic and dead fish.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

CPL593H posted:

We didn't land on the moon. The moon landed on us.

Very strong Cole Porter energy

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

RatHat posted:

The Mariana Trench is only about 11 kms deep by the way.

Actually that's spelt "Marinara Trench" and is one of the shallowest regions on the ocean

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

posting from the moon :smug:

No you're not. My dad works for the internet and says there's no internet on the moon.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

why did they name the moon landing missions after Apollo who is famous for the sun, and not some kinda moon god famous for the moon? suspicious.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

you know what ELSE they got up there?
Two DIFFERENT Cousins Subs.
There's the one by the landing site, and then 'The Good One'.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Last time I visited the moon I went to the close Denny's, but I should have gone to the Denny's a little further away, its much better.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Microwave's mom lives on the moon with god and jesus

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I don't know about you, but I didn't land on the moon so, no, we didn't land on the moon.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Songbearer posted:

People are always so fascinated with space and all the wonders in it and space travel and whatever and I'm here to tell you your fascination is dumb and bad. Oh look they found a new planet, oh look a photo of a black hole, oh wow a cluster of stars. Great stuff except you can't do anything with that information, nobody is going to get to enjoy it because nobody will actually be able to afford going into space.

There are parts of the ocean we haven't explored "oh bloo bloo it's just as expensive to make something that can go that deep" yeah but it's still more practical and contains cool creatures we can learn things from. Sea is just reverse space and is way cooler because things have bioluminesence and your dumb stars are dead

"We know more about outer space than we know about the ocean!" is dumb-dumb bullshit from the same kind of people who say things like "We only use 10% of our brains!" It's not actually true. We've done a lot of studies on the actually interesting parts of the ocean. We're also, yeah, still studying it quite a bit. Sometimes, y'know, even from space.

Still, imagine what we'd have if, instead of doing dumb stuff in space, we spent all the space money on the ocean. Instead of every satellite launch, we had another sub dive. Having a goddamn wizard-map on my phone that knows where I am at all times and can tell me how to get anywhere from anywhere isn't bad, but what if, instead, we knew more about plankton?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

We're also, yeah, still studying it quite a bit. Sometimes, y'know, even from space.

Well that's just stupid because the ocean is all the way down here and space is all the way up there, meaning you'll never be close enough to see the cool unknown sea beasts also your name is the only thing we get when someone shows us a space discovery

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

hell astro course posted:

why did they name the moon landing missions after Apollo who is famous for the sun, and not some kinda moon god famous for the moon? suspicious.

Because the deity of the moon is a goddess named Artemis and this was 1960s America where women were treated like dutch wives.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

hell astro course posted:

Wikipedia says this about it

quote:

The program was named after Apollo, the Greek god of light, music, and the Sun, by NASA manager Abe Silverstein, who later said, "I was naming the spacecraft like I'd name my baby."[3] Silverstein chose the name at home one evening, early in 1960, because he felt "Apollo riding his chariot across the Sun was appropriate to the grand scale of the proposed program."

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

*wears expensive noise-cancelling bluetooth headphones to Five Guys*

E: *posts in wrong 2012 username thread*

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

what seriously drives me crazy is people who go "why are we spending money on science x when it could be spent on science y" when the question is so clearly "when you live in a society utterly shaped by pure science / maths, where the economic impact of same is no less than total, where technological superiority is cultural, military, social, economic and political superiority, and where lifesaving medicine and world changing tech have been consistently birthed by utterly unrelated fields, why would you ever, ever pit fields of science against each other when the total spend all of science and education is a fraction of a fraction of a fraction what it has made, and a similarly small portion of totally unnecessary and futile expenditures, or the amount of income that one of the many, many billionaires might make in an hour?"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

chaosbreather posted:

what seriously drives me crazy is people who go "why are we spending money on science x when it could be spent on science y" when the question is so clearly "when you live in a society utterly shaped by pure science / maths, where the economic impact of same is no less than total, where technological superiority is cultural, military, social, economic and political superiority, and where lifesaving medicine and world changing tech have been consistently birthed by utterly unrelated fields, why would you ever, ever pit fields of science against each other when the total spend all of science and education is a fraction of a fraction of a fraction what it has made, and a similarly small portion of totally unnecessary and futile expenditures, or the amount of income that one of the many, many billionaires might make in an hour?"

yeah it's this. space vs ocean vs homeless people or whatever the gently caress is the dumbest poo poo when the real contrast is trillions spent on warfare and billionaire palaces/opulence vs everything else

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think instead of oceans or space we should go learn more about caves. Everybody underestimates caves.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Yaldabaoth posted:

Because the deity of the moon is a goddess named Artemis and this was 1960s America where women were treated like dutch wives.

the 60s were dumb as hell, it's not like we call it americo

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajgeaOt_HTQ

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

frumpykvetchbot posted:

No you're not. My dad works for the internet and says there's no internet on the moon.

you got me, in reality im posting from your dad :blush:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

you got me, in reality im posting from your dad :blush:

I'm sorry but sea dads are better than space dads. Space dads are too distant and don't understand what Earth children need, whereas sea dads have tridents for poking foes. The whole sea/space argument is a settled one

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Songbearer posted:

I'm sorry but sea dads are better than space dads. Space dads are too distant and don't understand what Earth children need, whereas sea dads have tridents for poking foes. The whole sea/space argument is a settled one

sea dad, space dad, aid dad, earth dad, fire dad, and finally, math dad

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The ocean loving sucks and I don't care what's in it beyond knowing it's there or recovering archeological artifacts from it, etc. I don't give a poo poo about some sub going to new depths where it turns out there's 'more water'. Give it up sea dudes

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Big Beef City posted:

The ocean loving sucks and I don't care what's in it beyond knowing it's there or recovering archeological artifacts from it, etc. I don't give a poo poo about some sub going to new depths where it turns out there's 'more water'. Give it up sea dudes

big "my sea dad left me" vibe with this post.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Sea dad birthday presents: Cool coral, pearls, seahorse, ride a cool whale

Space dad birthday presents (if he remembers): Some dumb rock, handful of dust, 640 x 480 fuzzy jpg of some boring crap

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
The moon is dumb, like sometimes its a circle and sometimes its a crescent? Laaame

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Crawdad is a subtype of seadad

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
Didn’t they go back like 10 times and leave tons of piss being

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

Microwave's mom lives on the moon with god and jesus

drat now that’s a holy trinity I’d like to see! :pervert:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The rooskies constructed a fake moon and Americans went and landed on it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If you eat the moon it tastes like cheese but like a very crumbly Parmesan so it’s more appropriate to grate some over a pasta dish rather than eating chunks or slices of it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

We choose to have sex with the moon not because he is easy, but because I am hard. :awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Piss is stored in the moon. (That's why it's yellow and big.)