Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Discuss cars or whatever, do I look like a man that has any fucks left to give?

I couldn't afford to give a gently caress even if I financed it.

There are 270,000 words in the english dictionary and not a single one can convey just how few fucks I give anymore.

I heard nasa is renting time on the hubble telescope. Maybe I can use it to search the far reaches of the universe for my last gay gently caress to give.

----------------

PET TOLL NOW IN EFFECT

First post of new page must contain a cute pet, else your rap sheet will gain a cute kitty of a mod/IK's choosing

Cause we need cute things and anyway why not?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
holy gently caress how is it september

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The march of time is never ending. It will continue until the heat death of the universe.

slothrop posted:

The New Zealand Goverment is looking at banning Gay/Trans Conversion Therapy (YAY!) but as usual some right wing religious nutjobs are trying to ruin everything (BOOOO!)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTMDx8lJfL9/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

:siren:The good news is that ANYONE, ANYWHERE can make a submission.:siren:

Please, if you care about Queer youth, follow the link below. It only takes a couple of minutes to follow the prompts and copy paste into the form.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rv7XVbcQX01r_cTgmpbeQwvw67TyWxPVN4pXIMshOiI/mobilebasic

This is a really easy way you can help make the world a little bit less lovely, today.

Though this is absolutely worth giving a gently caress about. :hmmyes:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Feels more like the 21st month of 2020.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a 3 day weekend every week this month

Neat.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
September... gently caress

Baby news: he's awesome.

I hope everyone gets some outside time before the dark of winter descends. Southern hemisphere folks: summer is coming!

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I have a 3 day weekend every week this month

Neat.

Company gave us the 3rd as a “recharge day” so we get a 4 day weekend for Labor Day. I’m on call which is meh but all the National Forests in NorCal are closed due to forest fires (not just the ones on fire, all of em) so hiking is gonna get fun. I’m also going on vacation for 2 weeks on the 10th and back the 26th so not really working much this September

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The greatest month of the year.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Time makes fools of us all.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Time didn't need to do poo poo, I'm already there

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A guy in my dept on day shift has tested positive for covid. He was out yesterday and I was out all last week on vacation so I have no exposure risk. He's quiet about his anti-mask/vax bullshit but we all know what he thinks about it. Plus he's in really poor health already so this isn't gonna go well for him.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Rhyno posted:

A guy in my dept on day shift has tested positive for covid. He was out yesterday and I was out all last week on vacation so I have no exposure risk. He's quiet about his anti-mask/vax bullshit but we all know what he thinks about it. Plus he's in really poor health already so this isn't gonna go well for him.

Bit south of you, we have 120 people out of 1500 or so out from covid right now. All in, 200 open positions, plus the 120 out for covid plus normal absences means we are 400 short every day. Its a scary world right now. About 35% vaccinated.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So, uh, my 42 year old wife just presented me with a small plastic thingie with two blue lines on it that smelled of pee… :stare:

We were trying, I thought there was no more lead in one or both pencils, but apparently that wasn’t the case.

I hope it’s a girl. :3:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
DUDE, congrats!

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

bolind posted:

So, uh, my 42 year old wife just presented me with a small plastic thingie with two blue lines on it that smelled of pee… :stare:

We were trying, I thought there was no more lead in one or both pencils, but apparently that wasn’t the case.

Congrats man!!!!

September through November is my favorite time of the year. Can't wait for things to cool off a bit temperature-wise here in Austin.

I upgraded my work from home setup by buying a cheap 4k monitor and I'm surprised I didn't do this earlier - so much screen real estate.

Also I ordered a new office chair to replace the $80 gaming chair special I bought at the start of the pandemic because it was the only thing in stock that was not massively overpriced.

I got a Steelcase Series 1 - I don't know anything about it but I heard it was good. Honestly anything that's not a gaming chair would be an upgrade at this point and I would not have to shuffle my office chair with a kitchen chair out of embarrassment every time I get on a zoom call.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

trouser chili posted:

DUDE, congrats!

CerealKilla420 posted:

Congrats man!!!!

Thanks! When I got the announcement I was honestly pretty shaken, but I got to tell my folks and I'm a lot more mellow now.

In different news, interesting new thing on Netflix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQs9ZtdZjY0

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Congrats, man!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Holy poo poo, I've been so stressed out that it was slowly making me go blind. No one could figure out why I couldn't focus my eyes anymore or why it kept getting worse, and after 8 different doctors told me my eyes are perfectly healthy and that my prescription just needed to be updated, they finally sent me to a neurologist who identified the problem immediately. He pushed on the muscle attachment points on my neck and skull, which hurt like hell, and said it was stress induced tension in my neck and back that was causing my vision problems. Apparently it's not uncommon for stress to cause migraines and slight vision changes if you hold all of that tension like I do, but I was "the worst case he'd seen"
I thought it was a bullshit diagnosis; I've been on anxiety meds for years, I'm pretty laid back, my blood pressure is 105/70 despite taking tons of amphetamines, and I haven't even had suicidal thoughts in months, it couldn't be stress. But after a few weeks on new meds and doing yin yoga 3 times a week, I'm back to my old glasses and I can see pretty clearly on most days. Take care of yourselves, poo poo can really sneak up on you

Also, I'm very over being a medical mystery. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard a medical professional say "I've never seen this before" or "this is the worst case I've ever seen" I'd have an annoyingly large stack of cash

bolind posted:

Way to beat the odds!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

bolind posted:

Congrats! We just had our second, it's pretty great. :3:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
congrats!

People ask me all the time if we're going to shoot for more. as of right now, I think we're both pretty resigned that we are done, several friends had pandemic babies and me and the boys are planning to get snipped... together, so we can all hold our bags of froze peas. We can all hold hands, we're also wondering if we can get a group rate..

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ah, it is the month of my birth, and thus my annual reminder of looming mortality. I’m over halfway there now 52.

Rhyno posted:

I try not to be a vindictive rear end in a top hat, but at this point, gently caress him and all the other jack holes who prolonged this mess far more than need be. Couldn’t happen to a more appropriate person. The Schadenfreude is strong with this one.

Grats, Bolind. I’m sure you’re aware that this will probably be a bit hard on your wife this late in life - we had ours at wife’s age 31, and that was a little rough - so be sure to support her as much as you can.

CerealKilla420 posted:

I got a Steelcase Series 1 - I don't know anything about it but I heard it was good. Honestly anything that's not a gaming chair would be an upgrade at this point and I would not have to shuffle my office chair with a kitchen chair out of embarrassment every time I get on a zoom call.

I’m a nerd and would absolutely rock the gaming chair. Heck, I was using a Toyota bucket seat on an old office chair base until fairly recently.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So the new employer uses Checkr for their background checks. I've had probably a dozen background checks done by Checkr over the past few years (most of the gig companies use them), and they always come back within an hour or two. Sometimes a few minutes.

It's been 24 hours now, and it's stuck in "pending". The last one Checkr ran was in May, and it came back in <5 minutes. :sigh: I suspect my accident may have something to do with it, though police didn't come out (there was a report done online, so it may be on my MVR).

e: well poo poo that's not it either, I just pulled my MVR and it shows nothing at all for the past 3 years.

The Door Frame posted:

Holy poo poo, I've been so stressed out that it was slowly making me go blind. No one could figure out why I couldn't focus my eyes anymore or why it kept getting worse, and after 8 different doctors told me my eyes are perfectly healthy and that my prescription just needed to be updated, they finally sent me to a neurologist who identified the problem immediately.

I've had that happen. I can immediately nail when my stress is going through the roof by my vision - it gets really wonky. Trouble focusing, auras, etc. Same poo poo that happens before I get a migraine.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 1, 2021

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Holy poo poo, I've been so stressed out that it was slowly making me go blind. No one could figure out why I couldn't focus my eyes anymore or why it kept getting worse, and after 8 different doctors told me my eyes are perfectly healthy and that my prescription just needed to be updated, they finally sent me to a neurologist who identified the problem immediately. He pushed on the muscle attachment points on my neck and skull, which hurt like hell, and said it was stress induced tension in my neck and back that was causing my vision problems. Apparently it's not uncommon for stress to cause migraines and slight vision changes if you hold all of that tension like I do, but I was "the worst case he'd seen"
I thought it was a bullshit diagnosis; I've been on anxiety meds for years, I'm pretty laid back, my blood pressure is 105/70 despite taking tons of amphetamines, and I haven't even had suicidal thoughts in months, it couldn't be stress. But after a few weeks on new meds and doing yin yoga 3 times a week, I'm back to my old glasses and I can see pretty clearly on most days. Take care of yourselves, poo poo can really sneak up on you

Also, I'm very over being a medical mystery. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard a medical professional say "I've never seen this before" or "this is the worst case I've ever seen" I'd have an annoyingly large stack of cash

Way to beat the odds!

I had a stress induced bleed behind the cornea in my one eye. It presented as a discolored spot in my vision like when a camera flashes and you see the spots from it.

The optometrists I've seen about it tell me to just relax and not stress so much. They don't want to do surgery as I still have 20/20 vision and it can cause more problems than it would fix.

This was like 5 years ago and I've since switched to a less stressful position but I've got scarring in that eye still that I'll have for the rest of my life. I get an eye exam every year now after going 30+ years never having gotten one.

The time before they got it figured out was scary thinking I was having a brain tumor or losing vision somehow.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

So my creek normally looks like this

Currently it looks like this

We’ve had 6” of rain today and the creek is about 1” from the far bank. I’m glad I ratchet strapped the bridge to a tree, I’d hate to have to drag it back upstream. Again. You can see the bridge trying to make its escape in pretty much the middle of the last picture.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Darchangel posted:

Ah, it is the month of my birth, and thus my annual reminder of looming mortality. I’m over halfway there now 52.

I try not to be a vindictive rear end in a top hat, but at this point, gently caress him and all the other jack holes who prolonged this mess far more than need be. Couldn’t happen to a more appropriate person. The Schadenfreude is strong with this one.

Grats, Bolind. I’m sure you’re aware that this will probably be a bit hard on your wife this late in life - we had ours at wife’s age 31, and that was a little rough - so be sure to support her as much as you can.

I’m a nerd and would absolutely rock the gaming chair. Heck, I was using a Toyota bucket seat on an old office chair base until fairly recently.

I don't remember if you are in Texas or not like STR but if you're in Austin you can have the gaming chair lol - it's pretty much brand new.

I personally do not find the gamer chairs all that comfy but to each their own. It is kind of cool because it's modeled after a Riccaro style bucket seat. It's a direct clone of the DxRacer called the GxRacer and from what I can tell they are identical and probably come from the same factory that white labels these chairs for all these different companies (clutch, etc).

edit:

Also meant to add that I finally got my second shot after redoing the whole process a few weeks ago. Basically I waited too long after getting my first first shot and just decided to get another first shot - I'm gonna talk to a doctor and see if it counts as a booster lol.

Anyways you're supposed to wait two weeks after the second shot before you are considered full vaccinated right? Someone told me that yesterday but I just went to the CDC standup walk in clinic to get my shots and they did not mention anything about that to me.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

CerealKilla420 posted:

Anyways you're supposed to wait two weeks after the second shot before you are considered full vaccinated right? Someone told me that yesterday but I just went to the CDC standup walk in clinic to get my shots and they did not mention anything about that to me.
For Moderna/Pfizer, yes, 2 weeks after second shot. J&J, 4 weeks (after the single shot).

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

LobsterboyX posted:

congrats!

People ask me all the time if we're going to shoot for more. as of right now, I think we're both pretty resigned that we are done, several friends had pandemic babies and me and the boys are planning to get snipped... together, so we can all hold our bags of froze peas. We can all hold hands, we're also wondering if we can get a group rate..

There always used to be promotions/discounts for March Madness - get snipped and take some PTO to watch the tournament.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I'd just like to point out we found someone who clearly had a gently caress to give before the end of the first page.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Krakkles posted:

For Moderna/Pfizer, yes, 2 weeks after second shot. J&J, 4 weeks (after the single shot).

Ok sweet.

I actually got my answer right after posting because my HR department sent a vaccine disclosure form that mentioned the two week thing.

I hope they're ok with me not being fully vaxxed for a month.

If I get fired for this I will have played myself in the most epic way possible lol - I just selected the option that said "got my first shot and have an appointment for the second shot.

Honestly kind of worried because onboarding for remote work sucks.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

trouser chili posted:

I'd just like to point out we found someone who clearly had a gently caress to give before the end of the first page.

Haha yesss

Goongrats bolind, my wife was pregnant @ 40 and she spat our guy out like a watermelon seed, she did a LOT of prenatal yoga.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

bolind posted:

How rad. Always good to find out that the plumbing works in the house.

I was going to get broken last year but got lazy in February then the 'Vid showed up and :effort: has kept me from getting the job done. I really need to do that before I end up with a caboose to the caboose.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

So my creek normally looks like this

Currently it looks like this

We’ve had 6” of rain today and the creek is about 1” from the far bank. I’m glad I ratchet strapped the bridge to a tree, I’d hate to have to drag it back upstream. Again. You can see the bridge trying to make its escape in pretty much the middle of the last picture.

The tornado warning here said Willow Grove had a confirmed large tornado at 5:41 pm. We got the warning 10 minutes later. :|

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Goongrats on the shop helper Bolind!

Oh poo poo its September already? Guess I can drag rear end for another year about sourcing parts and installing A/C into my hooptie. :D

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Thumposaurus posted:

I had a stress induced bleed behind the cornea in my one eye. It presented as a discolored spot in my vision like when a camera flashes and you see the spots from it.

The optometrists I've seen about it tell me to just relax and not stress so much. They don't want to do surgery as I still have 20/20 vision and it can cause more problems than it would fix.

This was like 5 years ago and I've since switched to a less stressful position but I've got scarring in that eye still that I'll have for the rest of my life. I get an eye exam every year now after going 30+ years never having gotten one.

The time before they got it figured out was scary thinking I was having a brain tumor or losing vision somehow.

Big yikes. You're lucky that bleed wasn't in your actual brain. Can you still see it? How high was your blood pressure? Waiting to hear about brain stuff is definitely terrifying, especially because the eyes are kind of technically part of your brain, so the list of things that negatively effects your vision is just unpleasant to think about and often permanent

STR posted:

So the new employer uses Checkr for their background checks. I've had probably a dozen background checks done by Checkr over the past few years (most of the gig companies use them), and they always come back within an hour or two. Sometimes a few minutes.

It's been 24 hours now, and it's stuck in "pending". The last one Checkr ran was in May, and it came back in <5 minutes. :sigh: I suspect my accident may have something to do with it, though police didn't come out (there was a report done online, so it may be on my MVR).

e: well poo poo that's not it either, I just pulled my MVR and it shows nothing at all for the past 3 years.

I've had that happen. I can immediately nail when my stress is going through the roof by my vision - it gets really wonky. Trouble focusing, auras, etc. Same poo poo that happens before I get a migraine.

Hey, doctor wasn't lying, it is surprisingly common. There was a period of about a month and a half where I got migraines every day from it, but they eventually stopped even though I continued to lose my vision. I wonder if they're going to come back...

I don't get the whole background check thing that employers are obsessed with. Is it just to be sure that I'm honest on my application? Is it so I'm cheaper to insure?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Heard about several tornados in Pennsylvania. Been there done that, how are you guys in PA holding up? I got missed by a half a mile in 2011.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Darchangel posted:

I myself am getting ever closer to the halfway point this month.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Big yikes. You're lucky that bleed wasn't in your actual brain. Can you still see it? How high was your blood pressure? Waiting to hear about brain stuff is definitely terrifying, especially because the eyes are kind of technically part of your brain, so the list of things that negatively effects your vision is just unpleasant to think about and often permanent

Hey, doctor wasn't lying, it is surprisingly common. There was a period of about a month and a half where I got migraines every day from it, but they eventually stopped even though I continued to lose my vision. I wonder if they're going to come back...

I don't get the whole background check thing that employers are obsessed with. Is it just to be sure that I'm honest on my application? Is it so I'm cheaper to insure?

It's more like a slightly dim spot now.
I have an amsler grid like this:
https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/amsler-grid.htm
That the eye Dr. gave me to check if it's affecting the vision in that eye.
At the time it was the worst the section around the dot in the middle was bulging out pretty good. Now it looks normal when I look at it.

I got put on a medication to lower my blood pressure a few years ago. I'm not overweight or anything just bad genes with regards to heart stuff.

I have occasional migraines as well but I got an MRI for that and the neurologist didn't see anything that concerned her about it. My Dr prescribed me a medication called Sumatriptan that I take if the migraines get too bad and an anti-nausea medication since when they get really bad I start throwing up.

Take care of your eyes fellow goons if something doesn't seem right get that poo poo checked ASAP.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

bolind posted:

Congrats! Hope it all goes smoothly and you the up with another pair of hands to wipe your rear end in the nursing home, old man! I'm 38 and my wife is 39 and we just had our first, so I'll be right there with you

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

kastein posted:

Heard about several tornados in Pennsylvania. Been there done that, how are you guys in PA holding up? I got missed by a half a mile in 2011.

The tornado a few weeks ago missed us by five miles, tonight missed us by about 10. Things seem intact in my neighborhood, neighboring towns have some flooding though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Congrats bolind!

luminalflux posted:

Company gave us the 3rd as a “recharge day” so we get a 4 day weekend for Labor Day. I’m on call which is meh but all the National Forests in NorCal are closed due to forest fires (not just the ones on fire, all of em) so hiking is gonna get fun.

It’s a bit far but Channel Islands National Park is open and awesome.

Alarbus posted:

There always used to be promotions/discounts for March Madness - get snipped and take some PTO to watch the tournament.

The heck with discounts, pay extra to get knocked out if you can. I would 100% do it again but having a dude crack jokes while can hear and smell the sizzle of your junk getting cauterized is not a great time.

But do shop around, I found out after the fact that it would have been cheaper to fly to Hawaii and sit on the beach with peas. Only urologist in town so he could charge my insurance $3,300 for that. I paid for steak but only got sizzle.