Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

After several years robbing the spotlight from beloved platforming mascot Rayman, Ubisoft's Raving Rabbids finally got a game of their own with Rabbids Go Home, released for the Nintendo Wii in 2009. Unlike many of the games that preceded it, Rabbids Go Home is funny, charming, and clever - and didn't meet Ubisoft's sales expectations, because we can't have nice things. It also has a very interesting soundtrack, a mixture of 60s-70s pop songs with Eastern European folk music. No, I am not making that up.

This game is...hard to describe. The Rabbids suddenly get an urge to go home, which they think is on the moon. They then decide to construct a huge tower of material goods stolen from a nearby city in order to make a path to the moon. The game is, ostensibly, a 3D collecathon, but mixes and matches genres whenever it wants. I think it's best you see it in action rather than suffer through my attempt to describe it with words.

Joining me as always is pdPreciousRoy, who has some history with Rabbids media that does not include this game.

This LP is intended as something of a breather/intermission between entries in my Crash Bandicoot thread. I will not be doing a 100% run, as that is a horrifying experience I would not wish on my worst enemy. That being said, I will show off as much as I reasonably can.

The thread will update every Sunday. Depending on what goes on with the video backlog, I may or may not update this coming Sunday (September 5); otherwise, video 2 will go public on the 12th.

Videos

FULL PLAYLIST

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Reserved!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:allears: I've been waiting for this LP, after hearing all the little snippets in the Beach Discord. And so far I am not disappointed.

Since it was brought up in the YT comments, I can recommend the Mario + Rabbids game as well should you ever get a Switch. I certainly enjoyed it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This looks just delightful. Can't wait to see more.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
An actually good game from some very, very annoying mascots. At least we did eventually get an extremely good Rayman game to boot.

pdpreciousroy
Jan 18, 2020

NewMars posted:

An actually good game from some very, very annoying mascots. At least we did eventually get an extremely good Rayman game to boot.

I am 100% behind any Rayman title where Ubisoft lets them have fun with semi-licensed music, and Rayman Legends was amazing for that.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

NewMars posted:

I like how everyone forgets Rayman Origins exists. Probably because Rayman Legends is essentially a replacement for Origins, right down to including most of its levels.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

This game looks dumb as hell and also fun.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Jade Rider posted:

This game looks dumb as hell and also fun.

I'm not sure if this is a game I would enjoy playing, but I like watching it so far. That drat tuba rabbid's song gets stuck in my head though "ba ba ba, bada bah bah" :argh:

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

In today's episode, we start talking about what's so special about the Rabbids' brass band. Also, the Rabbids now have a body count. Be very afraid.

CW: Racist "jokes" (from the game, not us) in every episode going forward.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Do you even get anything for getting 1000/1000 on each level?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Stealing people in oxygen chambers is one thing but I can't abide pupper violence.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Stealing people in oxygen chambers is one thing but I can't abide pupper violence.

No, no, the beagles are jumping in of their own consent! The Rabbid’s scream is an invitation and the beagles hop in the cart. That’s totally what happens.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Do you even get anything for getting 1000/1000 on each level?

I think you get an extra Gift for collecting all the Stuff in a level, plus of course the secret ending for getting 100%.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Just a reminder that going forward, updates are on Sundays.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Welcome back to my thirteen-part lecture series on the history of Eastern European folk music and Western pop music in the 60s and 70s. There's something to do with rabbits in there, I think.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I knew of Fanfare Ciocarlia from their song Asfalt Tango, which was used in the hilariously macabre cgi short Fallen Art.

Now, of you'll excuse me, I'm going to go watch their Tiny Desk Concert that I only now discovered.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It is absolutely not a coincidence that the Blower Rabbid needs some pipe.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

In today's video, Roy and I mull over a most curious mystery.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
Amusing trivia regarding the Louie Louie discussion from video #4: All of those moral panic people pulled that song apart looking for nefarious lyrics... and completely missed the drummer dropping an F-bomb.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A large part of absurdist humour (or at least attempts at it) seems to necessitate thinking up situations that would absolutely kill people and then not have it kill anyone.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Melaneus posted:

Amusing trivia regarding the Louie Louie discussion from video #4: All of those moral panic people pulled that song apart looking for nefarious lyrics... and completely missed the drummer dropping an F-bomb.

Nah, the best part of that was that there was a literal court ruling on it that said "We can't understand a single drat word they're singing. gently caress it, if no one can understand it any inappropriate content in it is functionally not there"

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
Oh man, I thought you guys were calling the baddies "Verminators" as a reference to Dwayne LaFontant in the Over the Hedge movie, but that's their actual name. Guess it's a bit more of a common term than I thought.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Melaneus posted:

Oh man, I thought you guys were calling the baddies "Verminators" as a reference to Dwayne LaFontant in the Over the Hedge movie, but that's their actual name. Guess it's a bit more of a common term than I thought.

Over the Hedge was 2006, Rabbids Go Home was 2009. Odds are decent it's a reference.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I'm enjoying the LP, but the introduction to Balkan Brass is as fabulous as it was unexpected. Definitely the best part! Thank you for LPing the game.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Came for rabbits, stayed for Balkan Brass.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 3, 2021

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kacie posted:

I'm enjoying the LP, but the introduction to Balkan Brass is as fabulous as it was unexpected. Definitely the best part! Thank you for LPing the game.

anilEhilated posted:

Came for rabbits, stayed for Balkan Brass.

I really appreciate the feedback! When I started this LP I was terrified that the Balkan Brass discussion would turn off viewers, but I’m glad that some people find it entertaining.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Am I mistaken, or did you miss showing the 'unlocking the next set of levels' bit, or how we gained that fourth pip of health?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

The World is only improved by the presence of Balkan Brass.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Corporate satire got really real in the last few years.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Janis Joplin's version is probably the most iconic version of the song, but I've always preferred Waylon's cover.

https://youtu.be/yLsN-IdQYqw

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If the goal is just 23,000 feet I can think of a much better use of the jet engine.

It could allow the cart carry much bigger things!

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I'm out of town tomorrow, so I'm uploading this a day early. I also still need to finish recording the final three (out of thirteen) episodes with Roy, but I think I can just barely make it without having to skip a week.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kibayasu posted:

If the goal is just 23,000 feet I can think of a much better use of the jet engine.

It could allow the cart carry much bigger things!

And how would you get them back out of the cart mr smarty pants? The rabbids only use well thought out plans, you silly goose.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Besides the Barney name Rabbids may also be stealing from Half-Life for these levels. Very Residue Processing.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Unfortunately there is no update this week. I'm in the middle of moving and some assets won't be ready until next week. Thank you for your patience.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Finally, a Ubisoft game that’s not afraid to get political.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 8, 2021