Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

:siren: Spoilers? Please, no story spoilers. Gameplay spoilers are fine, though. :siren:

Following in the footsteps of the original Hyrule Warriors, Age of Calamity takes things in a difference direction and serves as a prequel to Breath of the Wild. Or, rather, its seems to be an entirely different timeline, with an unusual small Guardian traveling back in time to before Link was even appointed Champion. Released November 20, 2020, Age of Calamity takes the original Hyrule Warriors and slaps a Breath of the Wild coat of paint on it. Fighting down hoards of enemies in the usual style, Link, Impa, the Champions, and who knows who else, will try and prevent Calamity Ganon from taking over Hyrule.

I don't know how many collectibles or bits of side content are in this game, as this will be a live and blind playhrough. I will at least try to do all the sidequests that the game seems to be offering, and I'll show of all DLC content. Though some DLC content has yet to be released at the time of my typing this, so that will have to come in later on. I don't plan to 100% things, like apparently Korok Seeds are a thing in this game too, but I'll try to do everything major and show off the fighting abilities of all the playable characters.

So, There Are Four Timelines Now, Right?:
Part 1 - Before The Calamity
Part 2 - Purah and Robbie
Part 3 - Mipha, the Zora Princess
Part 4 - Urbosa, the Gerudo Chief
Part 5 - Revali, the Rito Warrior
Part 6 - Daruk, the Goron Hero
Part 7 - The Yiga Clan Attacks!
Part 8 - Freeing Korok Forest
Part 9 - The Road Home, Besieged
Part 10 - Akkala Tower
Part 11 - The Great Fairies
Part 12 - Destroy the Yiga Clan!
Part 13 - When Courage Fails
Part 14 - Calamity Strikes

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

(Reserving a post, just in case.)

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 2 - Purah and Robbie

I actually find it kind of funny that an entire level was spent taking down a single Guardian. Especially since I've reached the point in my Breath of the Wild playthrough where they're not a threat anymore. I also like how Zelda fights, using runes and science to combat her foes since she can't really use magic in this setting. Purah and Robbie were a treat, especially Robbie with his Michael Jackson-ing about and his voice. I was kind of wondering if they'll be playable at one point, but I guess it's entirely possible it could still happen. I have no idea how large the roster is, but I don't think I've seen or heard of any character from outside the Breath of the Wild setting being playable. Which I guess makes sense, but it's a shame because that was such a neat draw from the other Hyrule Warriors game.

Also, should I bother showing those extra little combat missions, or should I just do those between videos?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Zelda's ability activates any Rune effects that are ready - exploding bombs and ice pillars, launching metal objects she's holding, and instantly giving enemies in Stasis the maximum launch velocity. Some of her normal attacks will stun enemies that are weak to the related Runes, because they're the same thing in the end.

Every character uses different Runes in their own way. The pause screen should have a description of each one, so it's worth checking out when you have time. There are also side missions dedicated to giving you practice with specific Runes, so you might want to check those out. I think at least some of the side missions are interesting enough to potentially be worth videos, but it's probably up to what you think is likely to be interesting.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Nidoking posted:

Zelda's ability activates any Rune effects that are ready - exploding bombs and ice pillars, launching metal objects she's holding, and instantly giving enemies in Stasis the maximum launch velocity. Some of her normal attacks will stun enemies that are weak to the related Runes, because they're the same thing in the end.

Every character uses different Runes in their own way. The pause screen should have a description of each one, so it's worth checking out when you have time. There are also side missions dedicated to giving you practice with specific Runes, so you might want to check those out. I think at least some of the side missions are interesting enough to potentially be worth videos, but it's probably up to what you think is likely to be interesting.
I did manage to figure that out, yeah. Makes me wonder where my giant walking bomb that spews other bombs is in the main game. That'd be a hell of a lot of fun to sic on a group of Bokoblins.

I did play around off screen and noticed that as well, the different characters and their Runes. Really love how the Warriors games strive to make each character feel unique, at least the ones I've played. I'll certainly play the side missions one way or another, I just wanted to know if they were worth showing. I'll go ahead and give one a spin in the next video.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

It may not seem like it now, but eventually slate Zelda becomes one of the strongest characters in AoC.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Antilles posted:

It may not seem like it now, but eventually slate Zelda becomes one of the strongest characters in AoC.
I'd believe it, she's one of the main characters after all. Breath of the Wild also loves its unusually high level of science too.

Part 3 - Mipha, the Zora Princess

I don't remember if Mipha was ever actually a fighter, I kind of recall her trident being ceremonial. It hardly matters, one Champion not being playable would be kind of odd. I do like how she plays, swimming through the air and drowning foes in giant water bubbles. Surprisingly savage for someone like her. Had no idea there were mech sections where I got to control the Divine Beasts, but man that was really cool. So satisfying to shoot at a group of Lynels with a giant death laser. Those extra missions seem pretty uneventful, they're all just "Kill X enemies", sometimes with a time limit, so I won't show those any more most likely.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
It's been a while since I played AoC as I was getting a bit burned out on Musou/Warriors games. If I remember correctly, when dealing with large groups of big monsters, if you can get a rune off during the vulnerable period of one of the monsters, it actually will affect all monsters in range. You did this during that "Vicious monster" fight when you hit the wizrobe with the chains rune and the moblins were stunned as well.

The side-missions are mostly for training and material farming and are mostly "kill X monsters" with a few larger monsters thrown in for a challenge.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

There are tutorial missions, and then there are actual side missions. The Lab missions are DLC, so they're just add-on stuff you do to unlock upgrades that weren't available in the base game. There's definitely stuff to see, but not in tutorials, especially if you're not going to use the thing it's trying to tutorialize.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

mastersord posted:

It's been a while since I played AoC as I was getting a bit burned out on Musou/Warriors games. If I remember correctly, when dealing with large groups of big monsters, if you can get a rune off during the vulnerable period of one of the monsters, it actually will affect all monsters in range. You did this during that "Vicious monster" fight when you hit the wizrobe with the chains rune and the moblins were stunned as well.

The side-missions are mostly for training and material farming and are mostly "kill X monsters" with a few larger monsters thrown in for a challenge.
I'll keep that in mind. I'll be honest, sometimes I totally forget about Runes until I see a tougher enemy have a symbol for them appear. I guess since I'm playing on the easiest difficulty, I don't really need to be so considerate. I also totally forget about the magic rods I have too. Never really use them that much.

I started to suspect they were all like that, yeah. I haven't done any that are too interest so far.

Nidoking posted:

There are tutorial missions, and then there are actual side missions. The Lab missions are DLC, so they're just add-on stuff you do to unlock upgrades that weren't available in the base game. There's definitely stuff to see, but not in tutorials, especially if you're not going to use the thing it's trying to tutorialize.
I mean I'm going to do it all either way, I was just more focused on what I should actually record.

Part 4 - Urbosa, the Gerudo Chief

Okay, this part was pretty fun. Really love Urbosa's lightning abilities and how she can charge herself up like a battery, tons of fun with that. I was kind of bummed there was no Divine Beast segment though. Since we had one with Mipha, I just assumed all the Champions would get one. The Divine Beast that shoots out massive volleys of lightning seemed like it'd be the most fun, too. I also didn't expect Master Kohga to show up. It's about a hundred years too early for him. The other guy, Sooga, seems pretty cool too. Kind of feel bad for the guy having to follow Master Kohga's orders, though. I'm also interested in finding out who that third guy was and how they'll further use that corrupted small Guardian...

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
If you haven't already, invest in a good third-party joycon and/or pro controller. Nintendo's Joycons are PRONE to drift issues! I went through 3 thumb-sticks in my first year before I replaced them.

First, repairing them yourself costs like $10 bucks on amazon, but you have to deal with tiny tri-wing screws that can easily strip and the buttons float around in the shell so they can come out of alignment when you're taking it apart.

As to a third party replacement, I picked up a set of HORI Split-pad Pros 2 years ago and haven't had any issues since. They're also bigger so my hands don't cramp up, but most importantly, they use larger thumb sticks which don't have to be replaced every 6 months. Amazon has them for around $40. The only problems are they don't work detached from the switch, they lack rumble and gyroscope (motion) controls, and their size makes them unable to fit in a case properly without taking them off, which I avoid doing because I'm worried that I'll wear out the rails.

Also, I think you skipped opening some of the chests after capturing outposts. I don't think this game automatically opens them for you.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Chests from capturing outposts are automatically opened, I believe. I remember receiving the items inside even when I explicitly ignored them.

Urbosa is pretty fun, though I didn't use her much till I unlocked some move upgrades and additional lightning gauge - always found her charging gauge a bit too clunky to use with the starting amount.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

That's sort of a recurring issue I've found with several characters, they feel weak and awkward initially but once you've unlocked their full moveset and various upgrades it suddenly clicks and they feel much better to play.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

TheLoneStar posted:

I mean I'm going to do it all either way, I was just more focused on what I should actually record.

That's exactly what I was talking about. Once you get to the point where the side missions aren't all tutorials, it'll be worth recording them.

Urbosa has pretty much everything you want in a character. Shield for parrying? Check. Killer move set? Check. Ability to absorb the energy you discharge when you use your enhanced moves to instantly recharge the gauge so you never run out of power? Check. The worst complaint I've got is that she always jumps on Bomb explosions, and her aerial attacks are... not good. It takes a while to get used to waiting for her to land after you hit an enemy's weak point, but once you have that, Urbosa more than any other character plays like a dance of death.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

mastersord posted:

If you haven't already, invest in a good third-party joycon and/or pro controller. Nintendo's Joycons are PRONE to drift issues! I went through 3 thumb-sticks in my first year before I replaced them.

First, repairing them yourself costs like $10 bucks on amazon, but you have to deal with tiny tri-wing screws that can easily strip and the buttons float around in the shell so they can come out of alignment when you're taking it apart.

As to a third party replacement, I picked up a set of HORI Split-pad Pros 2 years ago and haven't had any issues since. They're also bigger so my hands don't cramp up, but most importantly, they use larger thumb sticks which don't have to be replaced every 6 months. Amazon has them for around $40. The only problems are they don't work detached from the switch, they lack rumble and gyroscope (motion) controls, and their size makes them unable to fit in a case properly without taking them off, which I avoid doing because I'm worried that I'll wear out the rails.

Also, I think you skipped opening some of the chests after capturing outposts. I don't think this game automatically opens them for you.
The annoying thing is how the joystick will actually start to work fine for a while usually. Like next time I play, chances are pretty high it won't really give me any trouble. It's part of why I held off on replacing it for so long, because I don't want to spend money if the joystick still at least mostly works. I'll at least keep all that information in mind when the controller surely starts to get too hosed for me to use one day.

And like what Inadequately said, I could've sworn the chests just open up on their own. I'll still double check on that in the next video and make sure I'm getting all the loot I've earned.

Inadequately posted:

Urbosa is pretty fun, though I didn't use her much till I unlocked some move upgrades and additional lightning gauge - always found her charging gauge a bit too clunky to use with the starting amount.

Antilles posted:

That's sort of a recurring issue I've found with several characters, they feel weak and awkward initially but once you've unlocked their full moveset and various upgrades it suddenly clicks and they feel much better to play.
Urbosa is certainly pretty fun so far. I don't think the charging was that bad, but I also play on the easiest setting, so there's little setback for most of the enemies. I was pretty surprised at how beefy Master Kohga ended up being, though.

Nidoking posted:

That's exactly what I was talking about. Once you get to the point where the side missions aren't all tutorials, it'll be worth recording them.

Urbosa has pretty much everything you want in a character. Shield for parrying? Check. Killer move set? Check. Ability to absorb the energy you discharge when you use your enhanced moves to instantly recharge the gauge so you never run out of power? Check. The worst complaint I've got is that she always jumps on Bomb explosions, and her aerial attacks are... not good. It takes a while to get used to waiting for her to land after you hit an enemy's weak point, but once you have that, Urbosa more than any other character plays like a dance of death.
Oh, my bad. I haven't gotten anything more interesting so far, but I'll keep my eye out for ones that are very different down the line.

And not to mention her main ability is lightning which is just great on its own. A lot better than water spouts and bubbles, that's for sure. Always feel satisfying when she does a big AOE attack and everyone within the vicinity just gets hosed over with a series of thunderclaps.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 5 - Revali, the Rito Warrior

Well, I gotta say, that was the best level so far. If only because it allowed me to beat the poo poo out of Revali. That's always fun right there. I kind of feel like I picked the worst possible order to play these stages in. Mipha's allowed me to pilot a Divine Beast, yet these next two don't. Urbosa's stage at least had tie-ins to the Yiga Clan and the overarching plot, but this level here didn't even let me play as Revali. Kind of this weird sequence of what goes on in these levels and I kind of find it funny. I do like how Revali plays, showering enemies with arrows and explosives while I get to fly around. So far, Urbosa's my favorite of the Champions to play as by far. I think Impa might actually be my favorite overall if only because of the cloning aspect that allows me to just flood enemies with my attacks.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 6 - Daruk, the Goron Hero

Ah yes, the objectively best Champion is here. Even though the point of these games is to have fast paced action and stuff, having a slow but monstrously powerful character is still fun too. Didn't expect the magma rocks, but I guess I should've. Couldn't have centered his entire moveset on his weapon and shield, after all. And Mipha had the water thing going on as well. I was also happy there was another Divine Beast section, but it also makes me question why Revali and Urbosa didn't have them. The lack of consistency bugs me a bit. At any case, the plot can move along now since the gang's all rounded up, so I'm looking forward to that.

And I'm so very glad we got the scene of Link digging into a lava rock. Zelda and Impa being horrified at it just made it all the better.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
You'll get to play as the other 2 divine beasts later

I also remember that one of the side-missions had a hidden character but I don't remember which one or when it was made available.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

mastersord posted:

You'll get to play as the other 2 divine beasts later

I also remember that one of the side-missions had a hidden character but I don't remember which one or when it was made available.
Well that's good to know, looking forward to it.

Really? I'll have to keep an eye out for that...

Part 7 - The Yiga Clan Attacks!

Not much storywise here, just the Yiga Clan attacking. Using a sledgehammer with Link is pretty fun, though. He just absolutely fucks everyone up and it's a blast. I also like any scene with the little Guardian in it, he really showed that little kunai what for. I'm still wondering what the evil Guardian is capable of, and I was a bit bummed we didn't get any more answers with anything after this mission, but oh well. I'm sure the next time we'll get something clearer. And since we'll be going to the Koroks, I'm sure the Master Sword will be unlocked or at least make an appearance next time...

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Can you turn up the volume of the voices? They are really hard for me to hear without turning my volume all the way up.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
There's actually two characters unlocked through side missions, one should be opening shortly and the other is an act or two further in. They both have the icon for the character they unlock on the map screen, just keep an eye out for icons that don't match any character you have yet and you should find them easily enough. You have to complete a mini storyline to unlock them, not just a single mission, though.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

mastersord posted:

Can you turn up the volume of the voices? They are really hard for me to hear without turning my volume all the way up.
Sorry, I'll try and make it more balanced next time.

kvx687 posted:

There's actually two characters unlocked through side missions, one should be opening shortly and the other is an act or two further in. They both have the icon for the character they unlock on the map screen, just keep an eye out for icons that don't match any character you have yet and you should find them easily enough. You have to complete a mini storyline to unlock them, not just a single mission, though.
Alright, thanks for the heads-up, I'll make sure to keep a close eye out for those.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 8 - Freeing Korok Forest

Well, I got that Divine Beast section quicker than I expected. Seeing a bunch of Bokoblins on planks of wood held up by Octo Balloons was downright hilarious. Poor guys were entirely outmatched. I guess with the Korok Seeds I should've expected Hestu to show up eventually. I never thought he'd be a playable character, though. I guess he's Breath of the Wild's closest character to Tingle, really. He's pretty drat weak unless I'm just utilizing him wrong, but I don't plan to use him ever again so oh well. Getting the Master Sword was pretty cool, especially since it shoots off energy when at full health like in the older games. Astor fights like a total wuss, though, I'm almost a bit disappointed. He just throws up barriers and summons servants to fight for half the encounter, but oh well.

And hopefully the sound mixing is better this time.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hestu is very much a love it or hate it character- his base damage is high and gets even higher if you can get a good Korok army going, but his large hitbox, long periods of vulnerability, and somewhat wonky fighting style make him hard to control and easily damaged in return. I've managed to get some good use out of him but I generally wouldn't use him on higher-level missions.

Astor's design is pretty great, his aesthetic is basically a corrupted version of the ancient shrines from base BotW. He's not especially interesting to fight, though, but he actually doesn't show up in person all that much- certainly less than Cia and company did.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

kvx687 posted:

Hestu is very much a love it or hate it character- his base damage is high and gets even higher if you can get a good Korok army going, but his large hitbox, long periods of vulnerability, and somewhat wonky fighting style make him hard to control and easily damaged in return. I've managed to get some good use out of him but I generally wouldn't use him on higher-level missions.

Astor's design is pretty great, his aesthetic is basically a corrupted version of the ancient shrines from base BotW. He's not especially interesting to fight, though, but he actually doesn't show up in person all that much- certainly less than Cia and company did.
Can't say I'm a fan of him, but I have to admit the idea of him summoning an army of pesky Koroks to shitpost his enemies to death is kind of funny.

I do like his design, yeah. I also wish he and the Yiga Clan showed up more in general. Or at least the higher ups.

Part 9 - The Road Home, Besieged

Pretty short mission here. Not much to it even with the cutscenes which was a bit of a bummer. Mainly just some angsty with Zelda about her powers and her being outshined by Link. Basically stuff that happened in the main game but there's a cute little Guardian there to play a lullaby, and Impa's there too. I know I give him poo poo, but I can't believe they just ditched Hestu like that. So much disrespect...

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I don't know if you know this but clicking your left stick zooms in your mini-map (helpful if you can't figure out how to exit a base where you only have 2 gates) and clicking the right stick allows you to lock onto an officer or boss like in Hyrule Warriors DE.

Also note that bird symbol at the top of the top-middle section of the map. I believe that is a Vah Medoh side-mission if you're interested.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

mastersord posted:

I don't know if you know this but clicking your left stick zooms in your mini-map (helpful if you can't figure out how to exit a base where you only have 2 gates) and clicking the right stick allows you to lock onto an officer or boss like in Hyrule Warriors DE.

Also note that bird symbol at the top of the top-middle section of the map. I believe that is a Vah Medoh side-mission if you're interested.
I knew about that, I just forget about it or have little use for it.

I saw, yeah. I did between videos.

Part 10 - Akkala Tower

The Yiga Clan just keeps getting their asses kicked. I still love the bigger members that aren't the Blademasters. They literally just pumped up the normal members and called it a day. It's one thing with the Bokoblins or Lizalfos, but when it's done with a human it's just hilarious. I'm still gonna hold out for a mission where I can pilot a regular Guardian and shoot a bunch of lasers at fleeing enemies. Also apparently the Great Fairies are involved in the game, which makes sense. I'll take a look at one of their missions at the start of the next video and see how it goes. They really just flooded the map with side stuff this time around, it was nuts...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 11 - The Great Fairies

Well, I really didn't see this coming. The Great Fairies being playable is pretty amusing, and in hindsight it shouldn't be too shocking given the Great Fairy "weapon" from the other Hyrule Warriors game. Having to fight them all was kind of weird, and the desert level was a pain in the rear end. Really funny in general, though, can't wait to see how they play. Also I like the flail weapons for Link, they're certainly creative. Just something entirely new that was never in Breath of the Wild at all is a nice twist. I'm hoping for more surprise weapons in the future. And I'm glad the new wave of DLC stuff drops in a few days, that'll help spice things even more as well.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 12 - Destroy the Yiga Clan!

Finally taking the fight to the Yiga Clan, and the last of the Divine Beasts gets a chance to shine. Raining down lightning was pretty fun, even if the noise Vah Naboris makes still freaks me out. That's not how camels sound, drat it. I was a bit disappointed to see both Master Kohga and Sooga made it out. Sooga was pretty cool at first, but after fighting him half a dozen times for the story mode alone, he's started to grow tiresome. Should've had maybe one other special Yiga Clan member, perhaps. It really makes me wonder if all I'm going to be fighting is just the same people I've been fighting the entire time. Only so many ways to make it interesting.

At the very least, the Great Fairies were kind of fun. It's a bit awkward seeing them just sort of shift around in their giant flowers, but still. Very amusing so oh well. And it seems I'll unlock a playable monk soon if those symbols are anything to go by...

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The Great Fairies are one of my favourite characters to play in this game. They're big, slow and lumbering and you'll have to get used to taking a few hits, but they hit like a truck and their unique actions are very powerful if you can leverage them properly. They don't do so well if you're fighting in cramped, narrow spaces with not a lot of room to dodge, though.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

Two tips that'll come in handy when you're levelling weapons: 1) If you have two weapon skills with the same seal shape the effect will be improved. 2) Don't level up weapons directly, wait until you get a weapon with the fusion material exp skill, give it another round seal to boost the effect then boost that weapon as much as you can. That'll save you a fair bit of grinding for weapon XP.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Inadequately posted:

The Great Fairies are one of my favourite characters to play in this game. They're big, slow and lumbering and you'll have to get used to taking a few hits, but they hit like a truck and their unique actions are very powerful if you can leverage them properly. They don't do so well if you're fighting in cramped, narrow spaces with not a lot of room to dodge, though.
It's certainly odd to play such a large character when Hestu/Daruk were the biggest ones so far. It's still so awkward to see the flower just sort of shift through the ground.

Antilles posted:

Two tips that'll come in handy when you're levelling weapons: 1) If you have two weapon skills with the same seal shape the effect will be improved. 2) Don't level up weapons directly, wait until you get a weapon with the fusion material exp skill, give it another round seal to boost the effect then boost that weapon as much as you can. That'll save you a fair bit of grinding for weapon XP.
I didn't know it was so complex. I'll keep my eye open for that stuff. I admittedly haven't done much blacksmithing since Link is already so stupid powerful and I rarely play as anyone else.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

TheLoneStar posted:

I didn't know it was so complex. I'll keep my eye open for that stuff. I admittedly haven't done much blacksmithing since Link is already so stupid powerful and I rarely play as anyone else.

You might run into issues when you do later missions that force you to play as other characters because this game loves to do that.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 13 - When Courage Fails

Well, I was a bit disappointed the new DLC stuff apparently isn't available as far into the game as I am. I was expecting to at least get to play as Robbie and Purah. Oh well, getting to play as Monk Maz Koshia is kind of cool, though. Utilizing different puzzle bits and obstacles from shrines was clever. Him having an attack that's literally summoning a shrine is pretty hilarious too. The mission itself was okay. More Zelda angst that we've basically already gotten from the game. And it serves another reminder how awkward it is that Link still refuses to talk during these emotional, fully-voiced cutscenes. Give him a voice already, Nintendo.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I just finished most of the post game besides a few quests and DLC 2.

-When you see the 2 arrows under a character portrait before starting a mission, that means you can switch that character for any others you have access to.
-If you have a weapon for any character you use that is 1) Tier 3 (base attack between 50 and 80) and 2) level 30 or higher, you will be set for the rest of the game and post-game while playing on Easy. By level 30, you should have over 170 attack on that weapon. This is expensive and will require a bit of grinding.
-DLC 2 adds more regular missions after the main story's 20. Just keep playing and you'll get to them.
-Speaking of character unlocks, there is a particularly long chain of side-quests needed for 2 of the characters in post-game (not DLC).

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The monk's gimmick is that some of his combos create ancient devices that you can destroy to build up charges for his giant hammer attack. Multiple devices, multiple charges. The shrine is unique because it can't be destroyed, as far as I can tell, but as long as it's out, using the giant attack will add charges to the meter instead of removing them. As long as you have at least one charge, you can gain more.

The new DLC is very much post-post-postgame stuff. I've been playing it a few days, and even I can't play as Purah and Robbie yet. I'm hoping after the next mission.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Nidoking posted:

The new DLC is very much post-post-postgame stuff. I've been playing it a few days, and even I can't play as Purah and Robbie yet. I'm hoping after the next mission.

The level they start at was 51 for me which should tell you when the game expects you to be unlocking them.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

The level they start at was 51 for me which should tell you when the game expects you to be unlocking them.

The expected levels for some of the missions I've already been doing are in the 60s. Pretty much every character is a bit underleveled when you get them, and the characters you use level up a lot faster than the ones you don't. I haven't missed anything. I just haven't completed enough missions yet.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Shame to hear a lot of the DLC won't be unlocked for a while, but oh well, at least I know now.

Part 14 - Calamity Strikes

poo poo really hit the fan fast here. I'm still highly amused about how Zelda felt the Calamity come about, she turns around, and Hyrule Castle is just entirely hosed. Calamity Ganon really doesn't mess around, I guess. Two seconds to conquer Hyrule, clearly a new record. I'm so proud of him. I didn't think the Divine Beasts would still be possessed this time, so I guess the little Guardian is really all that's gonna help the timeline from getting screwed over. Speaking of him, I liked getting to play as him for a bit. He just skitters about, slicing and dicing and shooting out tiny laser beams, it's great. I'll just have to go replay the level so I can unlock all the stuff, which is unfortunate. It's still pretty fun, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I think many of us are surprised to discover that the second DLC is, in fact, available earlier than the end of the game. You just played through the first mission of it.