Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
I love the videogame opinions thread so I figured I'd try a shameless ripoff and see if it takes off.

The Wall is the best Pink Floyd album.

Wish You Were Here is the worst (of the ones I've heard).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I like popular music

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Bloodhound Gang's Use Your Fingers album from 1995 is one of the greatest albums in hip hop history.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Ska is cool

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
The Beatles weren't nearly as good as people made them out to be. Not even trying to be inflammatory, here. I think they had a few catchy songs and solidly fit in with the changing times during those days but, looking back, I think people were too far up the Beatles' butts to be able to hear that they made a ton of mediocre music... By the time they were in the era of saying they're the walrus goo goo g'joob and stuff, they were eyeroll worthy.

This is just my opinion. Don't hurt me.

Nooner posted:

Ska is cool

Yes. Even when it comes to the hit-or-miss later wave of ska, I found that you can find some fun stuff like good ol Soviet style ska and whatnot.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 3, 2021

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Tool is absurdly overrated.

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.
music isn’t very good

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

vinyl only tracks are for bithcs

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
slipknot doesn't deserve most of the poo poo they get.

they're really good, and iowa is heavy as gently caress.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Gene Simmons is the Donald Trump of rock

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

DEAR RICHARD posted:

slipknot doesn't deserve most of the poo poo they get.

they're really good, and iowa is heavy as gently caress.

I went to a Slipknot show a few years ago without ever having listened to them purposely, and they were great

The singer had broken his neck or something recently and still rocked out in a neck brace

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unpopular music opinions? Alright. Here's one hell of a take:

The only good Power Metal album is Pentakill. Everything that was inspired by Helloween and Blind Guardian diverging from their Speed Metal is insufferable midi appealing to nerdy gamers because they couldn't copy the 80's metalheads who wrote music after fantasy books, so it makes sense that the only actually good Power Metal album came out of a goofy video-game.

Sascha Paeth found one hell of a formula milking all the millennials who were too young to read all the poo poo gen Xers nerds did, but old enough to know all Forgotten Realms lore. Bless his soul.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i dont listen to the radio i don't sub to spotify i don't give a poo poo about whatever service i mostly just listen to music from anime and video games that i liked. i really don't care if that's :btroll: af i just listen to what i want to

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

arnold schoenberg is boring and other composers do 12 tone music much better, his piano concerto is the only thing worth listening to

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
some stupid lovely opinion about the beatles hurr. gas

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
gently caress you gbs

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

don't get me started on his earlier works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-pVz2LTakM

don't listen to this garbage

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don't care about the music of Frank Ocean. I've listened to him a bunch, and it just doesn't do anything for me.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
David Bowie peaked in the 90s with Outside and Earthling. His pre-Berlin trilogy stuff is meh.

Joy Division is entirely overrated and the myth surrounding Ian Curtis is annoying. New Order pretty much immediately made more interesting music.

MBV is better than Loveless.

Monster is REM’s best album, and Reveal is a top 5 record in their discography.

Most pop music recorded between 1984 and 1987 sounds like tinny, plastic rear end with no bass.

Karl Bartos was the most important member of Kraftwerk and his solo work rivals their heyday.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Catastrophe posted:

The Beatles weren't nearly as good as people made them out to be. Not even trying to be inflammatory, here. I think they had a few catchy songs and solidly fit in with the changing times during those days but, looking back, I think people were too far up the Beatles' butts to be able to hear that they made a ton of mediocre music... By the time they were in the era of saying they're the walrus goo goo g'joob and stuff, they were eyeroll worthy.

This is just my opinion. Don't hurt me.

I would say the beatles are overrated but there's no one rating them anymore because no one gives a gently caress hurrr.

I've seen MJ, KPop, Wagner, Nancy Sinatra, Dvorak, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Bessie Smith like idk I can probably list at least a few singers and bands from each decade/century people know and don't know linked around Discord or IRC but I don't think I've ever seen someone share a Beatles song because no matter how much they were or weren't influential or whatever Elvis vs Beatles peeve people might have at the end of the day no one cares. Only the most hardcore Beatles fans I know have that poo poo in their spotify/whatever app they use and I've probably heard more of Carmen Miranda's Ghost or Hieronymus Bosch Butt Music in the last year than I've heard of Beatles in the past decade.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Also, while I respect Sparks, I don't get the love for them.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My genuine unpopular music take is that music is awful. All of it. Stuff I like, stuff you like, stuff no one likes and stuff everyone likes. It's all trash.

And once you realise everything is trash then you can just accept people making GBS threads on your favourite band ever that totally changed your life in high school or whatever. It all sucks. Your favourite musician is a piece of poo poo and their music is for idiots. I know mine all are.

Music is trash, enjoy the lovely sounds that irritate everyone but you, and enjoy that fact.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Good start on having trash opinions about music

And Animals is the best Pink Floyd album

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Sgt Peppers is best Beatles album

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

LMFAO made perfectly decent, fun party music.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Sgt Peppers is best Beatles album

i used to think so too but ive gotta go revolver > white album > sgt peppers

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

HD DAD posted:

Monster is REM’s best album, and Reveal is a top 5 record in their discography.
I really wish we'd gotten that teased acoustic version of Reveal; the major issue with that album is the overproduction, and a cleaner version would be near the top of my list for sure. It's pretty good even as-is, though. I also really like Up (partially for nostalgia reasons, but it's still good) and think that Around the Sun is a pretty okay, listenable album with a few really good songs. Not sure REM ever made an album worse than "listenable with a few really good songs," to be fair.

Anyway, my hot take: I rarely find soundtracks from video games or movies particularly interesting to listen to as stand-alone albums, and I never know what to make of people who only listen to them. It just doesn't do much out of context for me. There are maybe three non-ubiquitous video game songs that I can even hum from memory.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Abbey Road is my favorite but Revolver is up there too

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

metal music is juvenile and if its the only thing you listen to and you're over age 21 you are a manchild

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Heath posted:

Abbey Road is my favorite but Revolver is up there too

i guess if i have a hot take its that abbey road is generally slightly overrated

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Too many metal bands confuse complexity for quality.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

mycophobia posted:

i guess if i have a hot take its that abbey road is generally slightly overrated

It's a near perfect album for me but I also can't divorce it from the warm fuzzy feelings I get when I listen to it because my first girlfriend gave me a CD of it (and Revolver for that matter)

I never clicked with Let it Be though, it just did nothing for me

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Zeppelin sucks and Robert Plant sounds like a dork

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

the railway ravers drop acid not bombs is the greatest acid album of all time

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Heavy Metal sucks and the people who listen to it need therapy.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

vinyl is higher quality than anything digital

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trip-Hop is, by margin so wide it needs a ring next to it, the best genre.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The White Album has only enough good songs for like 2/3rds of a single-vinyl album and is one of the worst Beatles album

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 days!)

Waltzing Along posted:

Heavy Metal sucks and the people who listen to it need therapy.

this isn't an unpopular opinion. it's just judgmental for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Bachelard rear end posted:

music isn’t very good

Music is okay, but, like, I don't get why people get so attached.

And why do people pay for music when you can just get music for free? I don't support "stealing" music. If the creator wants you to pay for their music, then I guess you should pay for that, specific music. But, poo poo, I can just google 'music', and wow, listen to that, it's all free.