Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
ABBA is better than Queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
In Utero is better than Nevermind and Unplugged is better than both.

The only people producing good heavy metal these days are from sub-Saharan African countries.

South American heavy metal seems more like a parody.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Valko posted:

We're also the only relevant metal scene left (lol @ Fabio Lione joining Angra) so now you all gotta get punished for our sins, along with Mestre da Pizza.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Valko posted:

Actually Jesus Christ, Mizuho Lin singing Saint Seiya's opening in Japanese has got to be the most Brazilian thing I've seen this year lmao.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSs__63ATMM/

You were right. God bless.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Elentor, my little corner of the world is capable of producing music the rest of the world would find funny too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwQbS7dv9ZQ

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Jazz is the true American music style. Rock music is embarrassing, especially punk. It's easy to see why nazis are so drawn to punk with the attitude that you don't even need to be good at your instrument to be a star - punk as a genre is the distilled essence of white entitlement

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Trap music is terrible and it blows my mind that it’s the dominant sound among people my age

Tom Waits sounds like a goddamn rodeo clown and not in a cool way

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
People who think metal is for the juvenile or mentally broken are just dicks for the sake of being dicks

Content:

311 is a great band with some seriously talented musicians. They just make terrible songs

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
The Replacements were the best band of the Eighties, and outside of a few decent singles, R.E.M. kinda sucks.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Pink Floyd is total poo poo. Every single song, everything a band member ever did or said is total, irredeemable poo poo.

Radiohead is super overrated. Some songs are at best tolerable and Thom Yorke seems to be alright as a person.

Chance the Rapper: See Pink Floyd (might not be unpopular to say this here, but it's probably an unpopular opinion outside of SA).

Elentor posted:

Trip-Hop is, by margin so wide it needs a ring next to it, the best genre.

Acceptable.

HD DAD posted:

Joy Division is entirely overrated and the myth surrounding Ian Curtis is annoying. New Order pretty much immediately made more interesting music.

Agree.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Pulp won the Britpop wars in the 90s by virtue of not competing. Also because they’re better than Blur and Oasis by a hilarious margin.

Blur have only one truly good album and that is “13”. The rest have an air of “okay we have six good songs, let’s just knock together eight more in an afternoon and call it a day”.

Unrelated, but mumble rap/SoundCloud rap was good and interesting because it’s hip hop going through its punk phase.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I feel like, outside of metal, all of my positive music opinions are popular. Without further ado,

Songs I hate:
-Queen, "Bohemian Rhapsody"
-Queen, "Bicycle Race"
-Led Zeppelin, "Immigrant Song"
-The Foundations, "Build Me Up Buttercup"
-The Foundations, "Build Me Up Buttercup" again
-Björk, "It's Oh So Quiet"
-Amy Winehouse, "Rehab"
-The Beatles, everything except "The Ballad of John & Yoko"

Also, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, and Bruce Springsteen need to shut up forever.

edit:

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

People who think metal is for the juvenile or mentally broken are just dicks for the sake of being dicks

:hmmyes:

quote:

311 is a great band with some seriously talented musicians. They just make terrible songs

I like "Down" and "Light Years".

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I like all music except rap and country

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome
The Doors are awful and I don't know why anyone would like them or even take them remotely seriously.

REM is the greatest American rock band of all time.

Rush is great and there are good songs on every album even the last few they released.

Pink Floyd is boring once you grow up a little and stop smoking so much weed.

The popular music since 2006-6 or perhaps even 2000 has sucked and shows no sign of ever getting better.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The majority of metal is insanely boring to listen to, same goes for like, 90% of prog. These are both genres I used to be heavily into but being a classically trained musician quickly made me realize how loving tedious and uncreative the two genres that most often tout their technical and songwriting skills are.

Like Sleepytime Gorilla Museum owns, but if I have to listen to more blast beats or fart rear end solos I'm gonna fall asleep.

Also, ballads are essential to any good metal artist, the reason Judas Priest owned is because poo poo like Last Rose of Summer or Here Come the Tears were really good contrasts to the rest of the album, providing an ebb and flow to the musical tension, and emotionally would also drift from melancholy and sadness to anger and energy.

Lol at those metal songs that are like "YOU BROKE MY loving HEART" while they're treating it like any other song they'd write, the amount of creative bankruptcy is astounding.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

ABBA suck and their reunion sucks and their new single sucks

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mumble rap is legit weird as gently caress and the bizarre noodling beats of people who barely understand what they're composing is more unique and sonically interesting to listen to than the majority of metal.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I think what it boils down to is that I get easily bored hearing poo poo that sounds the same and I'd rather listen to something technically bad but newer than microvariations on the same loving sound or progression for the nth time.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
More songs I hate:
-Tracy Chapman, "Fast Car"

Dell_Zincht posted:

ABBA suck and their reunion sucks and their new single sucks

This is correct.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I was going to post 'All I Wanna Do' by Sheryl Crow was the most grating song I ever heard. I went looking on youtube and it just reminded me about 'Everyday is a Winding Road' which I find equally irritating. I have no idea why this is because I found the rest of her singles to be inoffensive, sometimes even catchy.

It's just those two drat tunes.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Valko posted:

I was going to post 'All I Wanna Do' by Sheryl Crow was the most grating song I ever heard. I went looking on youtube and it just reminded me about 'Everyday is a Winding Road' which I find equally irritating. I have no idea why this is because I found the rest of her singles to be inoffensive, sometimes even catchy.

It's just those two drat tunes.

Spoken like someone who has never heard "The Na-Na Song".

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

YeahTubaMike posted:

More songs I hate:
-Tracy Chapman, "Fast Car"

:shuckyes:

Informer by Snow and Rico Suave are okay.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

The Spanish version of "Do You Know (The Ping Pong Song)" by Enrique Iglesias is far better than the English version

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
97.5 percent of all top 40 music is trash. All the good music comes from videogames now. Modern country is pretty much a Maroon 5 song with a southern accent and Maroon 5 sucks. *tips fedora*

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

The guys from Right Said Fred aren't even that sexy. Put a shirt on and keep it on you wankers!!!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i love the beatles and the collected works of mccartney and lennon, i've listened to just about all of it and regularly listen to the "golden era" ('65-'75) content still. i think most of it is timeless and universally great unlike a lot of poo poo i used to call my favourite (like pink floyd lol), but i do have one extremely controversial opinion that i've never met anyone irl who agreed with me:

paul mccartney was the best beatle

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Krustic posted:

The guys from Right Said Fred aren't even that sexy. Put a shirt on and keep it on you wankers!!!

Richard Fairbrass is also a prominent anti-covid vaxxer

So yeah, gently caress Right Said Fred

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i love the beatles and the collected works of mccartney and lennon, i've listened to just about all of it and regularly listen to the "golden era" ('65-'75) content still. i think most of it is timeless and universally great unlike a lot of poo poo i used to call my favourite (like pink floyd lol), but i do have one extremely controversial opinion that i've never met anyone irl who agreed with me:

paul mccartney was the best beatle

Paul is clearly and obviously the best Beatle and the fact that boomers didn't like him the best is proof of it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Shart McFartney

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
Dave Matthew's Band doesn't exist. I've never heard a song by them or heard them spoken of in real life.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Music is better when it’s a little sloppy. Precision and prowess can be impressive, but it can feel cold to me. Give me that slightly unsteady tempo. That ill-timed sample. That accidental wrong note that still sounds awesome.

Some of my favorite recordings are live bootlegs of bands just ripping it up on stage and it just sounds like a loving awesome trainwreck compared to the clean studio version. I know I’ve mentioned New Order before, but their 80s shows are just a showcase of technical mishaps, out of tune synths, forgetting lyrics, and bass guitar so loud it drowns out every other instrument. And it’s exciting.

I’m definitely in the Steve Albini camp when it comes to studio production. No bells and whistles, it’s just “play in this room, and I’m gonna record what you sound like”.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

HD DAD posted:

Music is better when it’s a little sloppy. Precision and prowess can be impressive, but it can feel cold to me. Give me that slightly unsteady tempo. That ill-timed sample. That accidental wrong note that still sounds awesome.

Some of my favorite recordings are live bootlegs of bands just ripping it up on stage and it just sounds like a loving awesome trainwreck compared to the clean studio version. I know I’ve mentioned New Order before, but their 80s shows are just a showcase of technical mishaps, out of tune synths, forgetting lyrics, and bass guitar so loud it drowns out every other instrument. And it’s exciting.

I’m definitely in the Steve Albini camp when it comes to studio production. No bells and whistles, it’s just “play in this room, and I’m gonna record what you sound like”.

Big New Order fan, totally agree. Some of their best work was the result of an accident. My favourite being on The Perfect Kiss where Gillian Gilbert started the synthesizer too early.

Also the frog noises weren't supposed to be on the final track but Stephen Morris loved them so much he basically forced the rest of the band to keep them in.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Dell_Zincht posted:

Big New Order fan, totally agree. Some of their best work was the result of an accident. My favourite being on The Perfect Kiss where Gillian Gilbert started the synthesizer too early.

Also the frog noises weren't supposed to be on the final track but Stephen Morris loved them so much he basically forced the rest of the band to keep them in.

Yes! Or how up until 1987 or so, most of the lyrics were written essentially by passing around a sheet of paper from one band member to the other, one line at a time.

My favorite of these is when they were recording the vocals for Every Little Counts, when Stephen and Bernard were apparently writing the lyrics between vocal takes, and acting like giggly kids during it all. Which makes it onto the final track lol

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Robert Pollard is the greatest songwriter of the 20th century.

The Replacements are great and have better albums overall than nearly any other band from the 80s but they never wrote anything that can touch Zen Arcade. Also on the topic of the Twin Cities, Prince sucks.

"Temporary Secretary" kicks rear end and people just don't get it.

Bruce Haack needs a giant loving statue dedicated to him somewhere.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Phish from 1993 to 1995 were the best live band ever. Bar none. Phish from 2000 on are hot garbage.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

I hate slap bass. *tips fedora*

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tom Waits stinks. His voice is horrible and his music is boring.

Post rock sucks because the songs are way too long. I don't want to listen to ambient white noise for 16 minutes so I can hear you rock out for 45 seconds. Also it's not even rock it's like, soundtrack music.

A guitar solo should never be more than 10 seconds long. Guitar "virtuoso" noodling is literally the worst music on earth.

My opinion on metal is centrist which is probably the most unpopular metal opinion. It has the capacity to kick rear end, but 99% of metal is absolute garbage. The 1% of good metal owns though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 3, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HD DAD posted:

Agreed.

This is one my favorite versions of this song and it got them banned from SNL for life for playing sloppy and drunk lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOEi-UJRNLE

Wish there was a better rip of it but this is the only video I've ever found.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Collie Buddz is the best reggae artist of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Post-rock kicked rear end when it was Bark Psychosis and Talk Talk instead of the poo poo that Godspeed You Black Emperor and Mogwai codified.

Sigur Ros' best album is Von, back when they were aping Krautrock.