Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Valko posted:

Elentor, my little corner of the world is capable of producing music the rest of the world would find funny too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwQbS7dv9ZQ

For what is worth: I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Waltzing Along posted:

Phish from 1993 to 1995 were the best live band ever. Bar none. Phish from 2000 on are hot garbage.

Relatedly, Trey Anastasio is still ridiculously hot. Is this an unpopular opinion? I haven't discussed his hotness with anyone.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I don't feel the need to ever purchase any music by Queen because their music is in about 40% of movies in the last 20 years. Utterly sick of it.

All "the blues" makes me feel is mild irritation and boredom. As someone who plays guitar it's considered foundational stuff but it's far more all the same than metal is

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

My opinion on metal is centrist which is probably the most unpopular metal opinion. It has the capacity to kick rear end, but 99% of metal is absolute garbage. The 1% of good metal owns though.

True. I wish I could convince somebody the same thing about classical music. I'll be making dinner or driving along and then she turns it to Classic FM, sees the look on my face and then "What? You like classical music - it's in all those old video games you play!"

The main theme from BG2 is a work of art. The music in Heroes of Might and Magic 4 is awful.

HOMM5 was a bit of a disaster - but they got one thing right.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The whole idea of a guilty pleasure in music is dumb as gently caress, either like stuff or don't

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Toto Coelo is better than The Ronettes and "Dracula's Tango" is the best pop song of the 1980s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROtqnIOHMJs

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

signalnoise posted:

The whole idea of a guilty pleasure in music is dumb as gently caress, either like stuff or don't

I agree with this so hard. I'll listen to Paris Hilton's Paris to celebrate.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

signalnoise posted:

I have a Spotify playlist called "Pleasures That I'm Not Guilty About". :)

Elentor posted:

I agree with this so hard. I'll listen to Paris Hilton's Paris Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish & the Hot Dog Flavored Water to celebrate.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

YeahTubaMike posted:

Relatedly, Trey Anastasio is still ridiculously hot. Is this an unpopular opinion? I haven't discussed his hotness with anyone.

Looking at a picture of him, I'll call this an unpopular opinion.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Gatekeeping your respect for a music performer based on whether they compose music is as dumb as not respecting an actor because they followed a script

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

signalnoise posted:

Gatekeeping your respect for a music performer based on whether they compose music is as dumb as not respecting an actor because they followed a script

No it's not. An actor doesn't exactly need to look good if they've got the talent. There are plenty of talented musicians out there not getting a fair shot because they don't look the part.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

signalnoise posted:

Agreed. The Monkees ruled even before Headquarters.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Valko posted:

No it's not. An actor doesn't exactly need to look good if they've got the talent. There are plenty of talented musicians out there not getting a fair shot because they don't look the part.

Check out this guy who doesn't respect session musicians or concert pianists

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

signalnoise posted:

Check out this guy who doesn't respect session musicians or concert pianists

I was about to post "actually if you can't shred a convincing solo over the whole form you're not a real musician" in reply to the guy who said that solos should be 10 seconds tops, but I didn't because somebody would say this

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Doctor J Off posted:

I was about to post "actually if you can't shred a convincing solo over the whole form you're not a real musician" in reply to the guy who said that solos should be 10 seconds tops, but I didn't because somebody would say this

Cliffs of Dover is a pretty rad 4 minute guitar solo

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Yngvie Malmsteen should be pushed into a volcano. His solos sound like garbage.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

So many talented musicians out there not able to find success because they don't look the part

not like acting, heavens no

hollywood would never cast a mediocre performer over a more talented performer based on looks and marketability

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
James Murphy is proof that all you need is a decent haircut and wardrobe to look the part

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I’ve said this before, but The Beach Boys have enough of a great song catalog to create… let’s say a ten track budget greatest hits CD compilation you’d find in a bargain bin at Walmart. The rest of their music is a type 7 on the Bristol scale. Just runny liquid diarrhea poo.

Pet Sounds is probably the most overrated album of all time in terms of ‘60s albums, pitchfork music dweeb articles, Rolling Stone lists, and in general.

I do happen to like two songs on the album, though.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I'm like a jazz guy these days due to circumstance and just needing a challenge skills-wise and, let me tell you fam, jazz sucks.

Like, why would you ever listen to jazz when r&b and hip hop exist??? WHY?????????????

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Jazz is good

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Heath posted:

Jazz is good

It's not though. It's a bunch of fluff and like 12 bars of some boring melody oh and then 16 minutes of trumpet solo. NO. gently caress THAT poo poo.

There is only one acceptable form of jazz and it's New Orleans. That's it. No more.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Jazz is better than Blues, because at least it has the potential to be properly irritating or unsettling rather than than just the same 12 bars forever

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Funk is like someone picking through jazz for like the 6 cool things and making them into actual good songs that people want to listen to.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
Counting Crows are ok

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Funk breaks are awesome.
The music genre "Funky Breaks", however, utterly sucks, but not as much as Electro Swing

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HD DAD posted:

Joy Division is entirely overrated and the myth surrounding Ian Curtis is annoying. New Order pretty much immediately made more interesting music.

:lmao: I clicked the thread to post exactly this since I was listening to New Order in my car today. So much better than their Joy Division stuff.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Literally A Person posted:

It's not though. It's a bunch of fluff and like 12 bars of some boring melody oh and then 16 minutes of trumpet solo. NO. gently caress THAT poo poo.

There is only one acceptable form of jazz and it's New Orleans. That's it. No more.

What about jazz fusion dude

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

signalnoise posted:

What about jazz fusion dude

:catstare:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

It's basically the soundtrack for Pilotwings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E6IONwC2kg

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Literally A Person posted:

Funk is like someone picking through jazz for like the 6 cool things and making them into actual good songs that people want to listen to.

Jazz is the pure essence of music, as sound flows into a language all on its own, conversations without words, thought converted into feeling at the tips of the fingers.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'm not sorry to tell you guys that 90'S CAPCOM JAZZ FUSION is an acceptable form of jazz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe3Sr4JmMXw

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
All of the music you like is terrible. Absolute trash. Sorry, but you have awful taste. Just unlistenable garbage. You should get your ears checked.

Everything I like is great.

If we happen to like some of the same songs, these things cancel each other out and the song is just okay.

I think I've solved the thread, you can probably close it.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The Doors are boring polished studio white blues rock. So are ZZ Top, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Eric Clapton. Yawn.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Roy Orbison is the greatest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tZXIok6OF8

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 3, 2021

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Queen is not good

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I have no idea who that is. I was thinking more like The Magic Numbers, never got a fair chance because they looked like stereotypical goons.

Unrelated Jazz talk:

A friend of mine who recently passed away was a huge fan of Buddy Rich. He could have written a biography on the guy. He described his facial expression as "A bulldog licking piss off a nettle".

He was supposed to be a real bastard to work for. One of his trumpet players called his wife after he passed away. She confirmed that he was indeed dead. He called again shortly after, "Is he dead? Sorry, I just really needed to hear it again." When my friend and I were sitting smoking weed and watching old tapes of him at The North Sea Jazz Festival he sort of grew on me.

I tried watching it again on youtube. Really not the same without the jazz cigarettes. Reminds me of Looney Tunes music.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

so hosed up to never have a chance due to looking dumb as poo poo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
J-pop > K-pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

serious norman posted:

Queen is not good

My entire life, I have been utterly confused about the popularity of Queen. They're just not that good. Bohemian Rhapsody is a loving annoying song.