Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
In my opinion music is extremely good and there is so much great music and so little time to listen it's impossible to give so much music the attention it deserves. the hourglass of time is reversed again and then the sand slips through my fingers as I reach out to grab it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Earwicker posted:

what musicians are doing this? ive never heard any touring songs of this type and im curious what you are talking about

I've met and worked with musicians/bands and there is a segment of them (like a segment of any persons) that are melodramatic, three-faced, backstabby, envious. There's an even smaller segment that are sheltered spoiled upper-middle class kids whose Big Money in a Small Town doesn't stack up against trying to buy your way onto a major label or into celebrity culture. And it makes them bitter and hateful of everybody in the way (other acts). This isn't a new concept--"we hate it when our friends become successful"

I'll cherrypick some bad experiences:
They dress and talk like blue collar rock n roll, but their parents rent limos and tour buses for them to roll up to the 150 person venue.
Or, despite being 6'2" and covered in tattoos, they rent bodyguards to look like a big deal.
Or they are so sheltered they drop an N bomb or pull on their eyelids and talk in racist voices on a crowded Manhattan street in broad daylight.
Or their rich dad comes to the show are starts handing every body working there stacks of 20s, trying to "grease the wheels" like some old school mafioso.
People who point their finger at their chest and say "Do you know who I am?" are cliche for a reason.

Touring is like work. Some acts are more interested in being a hanger-on to the closest B-list celebrity available than going out and doing work. They view going out on the road, and missing out on rubbing elbows with this week's passing through scene star, as a complete flip of priorities.

Why are we even carrying on about tours anymore? It's all about festivals these days. I can only imagine the hostility bouncing between local acts as they desperately try to claw over each other trying to be the 97th act listed on the flyer.

I agree with all the posters that said the concept of guilty pleasures in music is ridiculous. The people making "good" stuff are sometimes terrible people and the people making "bad" music are sometimes fine folks.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ProperCoochie posted:

I've met and worked with musicians/bands and there is a segment of them (like a segment of any persons) that are melodramatic, three-faced, backstabby, envious. There's an even smaller segment that are sheltered spoiled upper-middle class kids whose Big Money in a Small Town doesn't stack up against trying to buy your way onto a major label or into celebrity culture. And it makes them bitter and hateful of everybody in the way (other acts). This isn't a new concept--"we hate it when our friends become successful"

yeah i work with musicians too but i'm curious who, specifically, you are talking about. like i thought you were originally talking about bands who wrote songs about how touring is bad and no one should do it, and i was curious who was writing songs like that as i've never heard it. now it seems you are just talking about annoying personality types you've encountered and im still curious who you are talking about. some of these sound cartoonish tbh though they are funny

personally i was touring up until the pandemic and i guess i've been very fortunate in my experiences, most of the musicians i know are nothing like you describe and most of the people ive met with lovely attitudes are promoters, managers, and venue owners (though many of them are great as well. in most cases its not their fault that they have to care more about alcohol sales than music - thats what keeps the place open - but it creates some lovely situations)

quote:

Why are we even carrying on about tours anymore? It's all about festivals these days. I can only imagine the hostility bouncing between local acts as they desperately try to claw over each other trying to be the 97th act listed on the flyer.

personally as both an audience member and performer i will always prefer smaller more intimate shows over festivals, and while touring of course took a major blow due to the virus it is starting to come back, in little bits. i miss it and am looking forward to hitting the road again, supposedly in february but who knows how real that is

ive seen some amazing performances at large festivals that were marred by audience members who were there for other bands that were not playing at that particular moment. its the same kind of poo poo that happens at normal shows when people are kind of disrespectful towards unfamiliar openers, but at festivals it seems worse, i guess just due to the scale

Doctor J Off posted:

In my opinion music is extremely good and there is so much great music and so little time to listen it's impossible to give so much music the attention it deserves. the hourglass of time is reversed again and then the sand slips through my fingers as I reach out to grab it

ProperCoochie posted:

I agree with all the posters that said the concept of guilty pleasures in music is ridiculous. The people making "good" stuff are sometimes terrible people and the people making "bad" music are sometimes fine folks.

extremely agree with both of these points. honestly the only time i feel "guilty pleasure" with music is listening to albums ive already listened to hundreds of times since i was a teenager. there's nothing wrong with that except that i could be using that time to check out more new music from artists i dont know yet. so i generally try to maintain a routine in which i listen to at least 4-5 new albums (to me) every week

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 12, 2021

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Kendrick Lamar is mostly godawful outside of TPAB. Although TPAB is one of the greatest albums ever recorded.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Ya for all his talent he just has a genuinely annoying voice

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If it wasn't for Dr Dre, Eminem would be performing at Gathering of the Juggalos.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
section 80 is good

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Caesar Saladin posted:

If it wasn't for Dr Dre, Eminem would be performing at Gathering of the Juggalos.

I totally believe this

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hmm. It's the same style of weirdly aggro white guy rap, but Eminem is genuinely talented, even if he became inconsistent from Encore on.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh no one is doubting that, it's just that without Dre to give Eminem cred in the eyes of black audiences and shape his persona... yeah he would have totally ended up drifting to the ICP crowd or something similar and be one of those "I know, I know, the magnets thing but trust me he's actually _____" acts.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Caesar Saladin posted:

Dunno about that, ICP loving hated Eminem and therefore Juggalos hated him. I remember when I first became aware of Juggalos in the early 2000s, one of their fan websites had a page that was just a several hundred page ongoing story that people could add to about all the ways they were going to murder “Slim Anus” mostly with hatchets.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Ralph Hurley posted:

Dunno about that, ICP loving hated Eminem and therefore Juggalos hated him. I remember when I first became aware of Juggalos in the early 2000s, one of their fan websites had a page that was just a several hundred page ongoing story that people could add to about all the ways they were going to murder “Slim Anus” mostly with hatchets.

Its because they saw Eminem as what they could have become, and Eminem saw them as a darker path he could have gone down with a bit less luck. It all just manifested into hate because it was too much to handle otherwise. Otherwise they would have met as detroit edgy rappers and become friends.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I think Kid Rock is a more appropriate "what if" for Eminem

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ah, rap/rock. You know what, I like a lot of POD songs, even if it is lame Christian rap metal.

YouTube spat out Change The World the other day and I remember thinking 'this is a cool riff'

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Phlegmish posted:

Ah, rap/rock. You know what, I like a lot of POD songs, even if it is lame Christian rap metal.

YouTube spat out Change The World the other day and I remember thinking 'this is a cool riff'

https://twitter.com/DoobiesDogHouse...ingawful.com%2F

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The success of The Pet Shop Boys was baffling at the time and even more baffling in retrospect. Surfacing at around the time the most incredible, intense dance music was coming out of Chicago and Detroit they were the blandest, whitest, most milquetoast interpretation of synth pop possible. Some goober in a hat plinking away at the cheesiest preset keyboard sounds he could find over the lamest, most soulless drum tracks while a nerdish dweeb raps platitudes over the top. Just awful.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I assumed that, along with The Communards, Erasure and the like, a lot of their popularity came from the ready acceptance of the British public for queer/gay musicians (despite being just as likely to be homophobic in every other instance).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Synth pop was bad. The Pet Shop Boys were bad. It only makes sense that the latter would be popular along with the former.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Pet Shop Boys are another way to channel that weird UK 80s "it's the cold war and we're all getting poorer and everything sucks, but I want to make slightly upbeat-sounding music about it" spirit.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Caesar Saladin posted:

quote:

No labels wanted to sign me, almost gave up, I was like
"gently caress it," until I met Dre, the only one to look past
Gave me a chance and I lit a fire up under his rear end
Helped him get back to the top, every fan black that I got
Was prob'ly his in exchange for every white fan that he's got
Is it an unpopular opinion when even Eminem agrees with it?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

The success of The Pet Shop Boys was baffling at the time and even more baffling in retrospect. Surfacing at around the time the most incredible, intense dance music was coming out of Chicago and Detroit they were the blandest, whitest, most milquetoast interpretation of synth pop possible. Some goober in a hat plinking away at the cheesiest preset keyboard sounds he could find over the lamest, most soulless drum tracks while a nerdish dweeb raps platitudes over the top. Just awful.

I take it you’re referring to their first album, which is pretty much exactly as you describe. Hell, a lot of their second album is like that as well, just with marginally better songwriting. The rapping stopped pretty much immediately after 1986 though, with a few exceptions after that.

I think Pet Shop Boys loving rule, but most people don’t know they didn’t really get good until their fourth album Behaviour in 1990. Their first three are very Hit or Miss.

I’ll take off my raincoat and put away my axe now.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I think West End Girls is an awesome track. Using breathy synths and reverb vocals is pretty cheesy yeah, but it expresses the time and place very well.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I think Red Hot Chilli Peppers are on the same level as Nickelback, i.e. bad.

On an unrelated note singing louder and using a vibrato non-stop does not make you a good singer, specifically Adele.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
Yessssss RHCP is just big straight white dude energy: the band. Every guy goes through a phase of liking them because really, how could they not?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nah I never liked them even during my adolescent nu metal phase. They're competent musicians but just boring

e: you're thinking oh these guys have energy, cool bassline too, and then nothing interesting ever happens, it's like a lame, endless jam session

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 1, 2021

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
The best rock band of the 90s was Blues Traveler

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Elentor posted:

Trip-Hop is, by margin so wide it needs a ring next to it, the best genre.

Really late, but, I finally got around to listening to Mezzanine, and it actually made me think that Dub might be the best genre. That's the secret sauce that makes that album so good, imo. Also: Fishmans.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
I made a mezzanine spotify playlist a while ago which was probably my best playlist

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7xhc63T0i2ecekfZeyjD5c?si=d9c583478c0646eb

basically someone asked me to make an "if you liked mezzanine you might also like" kind of deal, and i made a thing that included not just trip hop but also a lot of pop music because it was kind of having a moment and appearing all over the place in the late 90s. if not actual legit trip hop then pop producers just adopting similar aesthetics etc. smuggled a bit of nu jazz in as well i guess

the 90s had so many distinct great scenes in music all in one decade, it was great. and the best thing was when they fed into each other. i still think that chapterhouse's blood music was loving beautiful because of how they made a hybrid of shoegaze and baggy dance music for example

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Berlioz's Romeo and Juliette is better than Tchaikovsky's

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

the 90s had so many distinct great scenes in music all in one decade, it was great. and the best thing was when they fed into each other. i still think that chapterhouse's blood music was loving beautiful because of how they made a hybrid of shoegaze and baggy dance music for example
...and then released an LP-length remix of the whole album as ambient house.

tractor man
Nov 11, 2021

My unpopular music opinion is that noise and esp. Harsh noise rules and is probably my favorite kind of music. Yes my wife hates it

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

tractor man posted:

My unpopular music opinion is that noise and esp. Harsh noise rules and is probably my favorite kind of music. Yes my wife hates it

I think fart noise is hilarious.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Good Kid, M.A.A.D City = Best Kendrick album.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

smellmycheese posted:

The Pet Shop Boys is one of those bands that, since as a child, I've been prejudiced against them because of their lame loving band name and have never listened to them for that reason and I'm glad to hear you say what I've always suspected.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Schmendrick Lamar

tractor man
Nov 11, 2021

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I think fart noise is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAyr5q1w-e8

this is my favorite of their albums

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

"Mother" isn't just the worst song on The Wall, it's one of Pink Floyd's worst songs overall.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

I made a mezzanine spotify playlist a while ago which was probably my best playlist

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7xhc63T0i2ecekfZeyjD5c?si=d9c583478c0646eb

basically someone asked me to make an "if you liked mezzanine you might also like" kind of deal, and i made a thing that included not just trip hop but also a lot of pop music because it was kind of having a moment and appearing all over the place in the late 90s. if not actual legit trip hop then pop producers just adopting similar aesthetics etc. smuggled a bit of nu jazz in as well i guess

Oh that looks good. Thanks.

Also just seeing Insomnia on there gave me this really strong flashback to being 19 in 2003 and in the (Norwegian) army and sitting at one of the shared computers in the cafe/ rec room with the nice Dt770 headphones and enjoying the taste of whoever had copied their pirated mp3 collection onto the machines earlier.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

kntfkr posted:

Schmendrick Lamar

Chadwick Jafar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Not saying they stop making good music or that they don't really start to hone their musical skills but most rock bands lose their edge by around album number 2. 3 at the latest.