Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Grunge would have died out even if Kurt Cobain never killed himself. In Utero is considered a classic today but at the time it got that “mixed reaction” that always heralds a band is about to release a dud with their next album. If Nirvana released a fourth album in say 1995 I can see that killing off grunge or at the very least make people realize they are tired of the fad (and it was a musical fad regardless of what the music documentaries all say, fads all die).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

chainchompz posted:

Not saying they stop making good music or that they don't really start to hone their musical skills but most rock bands lose their edge by around album number 2. 3 at the latest.

In the RUSH documentary, Jack Black refers to this as "rocket sauce," of which all bands have a various but limited amount.

"Some bands use it all up in one song."

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Justin Godscock posted:

Grunge would have died out even if Kurt Cobain never killed himself. In Utero is considered a classic today but at the time it got that “mixed reaction” that always heralds a band is about to release a dud with their next album. If Nirvana released a fourth album in say 1995 I can see that killing off grunge or at the very least make people realize they are tired of the fad (and it was a musical fad regardless of what the music documentaries all say, fads all die).

What do you think will replace the fads of poo poo pop, mumble rap, and laptop I love Molly electro?

Not to mention country pop.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

chainchompz posted:

Not saying they stop making good music or that they don't really start to hone their musical skills but most rock bands lose their edge by around album number 2. 3 at the latest.

Generally true. They become more technically proficient while also becoming more sedate and boring.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
That's my secret as a musician - I never get better so I don't fall into that trap of using technical skill as a crutch

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Justin Godscock posted:

I've got this sort of alternate history in my head where Nirvana broke up instead of Kurt dying; Dave and Pat form Foo Fighters, Kurt starts a "solo" project with Dylan Carlson and their album basically ends up as Pentastar: In the Style of Demons.

(It's huge flop, critically and commercially, which is just fine with Kurt. He never tours to support the album and becomes reclusive, occasionally releasing music along with short films and artwork. After a decade or so, the album receives a massive critical re-evaluation and is retroactively declared a masterpiece, and it becomes the go-to example of critics getting a new album completely wrong.

Also in this timeline, Weezer release Pinkerton to immediate acclaim, with critics saying it represents Weezer embracing the raw, noisy sound they had wanted from the Kurt Cobain album. Rivers Cuomo, now the bona fide rock star he always dreamed of being, never has his depressive lost-in-the-wilderness phase or the subsequent cranking-out-garbage-with-commercial-appeal phase, and instead ends up as like a Thom Yorke figure.)

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 16, 2021

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
1. GZA
2. Method Man
3. ODB
4. Raekwon
5. Inspectah Deck
6. Ghostface Killah
7. U-God
8. Coppadonna
9. RZA
10. Masta Killah

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Arctic Monkeys best album is their fifth one but they're pretty rare. I bet they still have enough rocket sauce for a few more good tracks they didn't use much of it on Tranquility Base

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Whip-Smart > Exile in Guyville

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mister Speaker posted:

In the RUSH documentary, Jack Black refers to this as "rocket sauce," of which all bands have a various but limited amount.

"Some bands use it all up in one song."

New Order is my favorite band, but everything released after 1993 is utter, utter poo poo. It’s one of the biggest and consistent drop offs in quality I’ve seen by an artist.

They went on hiatus between 93 and 98, and each member worked on solo projects in that period that were largely fantastic. But when they finally reconvened as New Order again, it’s just been the laziest dad pop for next 20 years.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Synth pop rules

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Justin Godscock posted:

Kurt would have ended up leaving Nirvana and joining the Meat Puppets or the Melvins.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
And then would have grown a giant beard and rebranded himself as a twee indie artist in the 00s a la Apples in Stereo.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Christmas In The Heart by Bob Dylan is a fantastic album and it's in the pantheon of great christmas records like A Charlie Brown Christmas and John Fahey's Christmas Guitar. If you haven't heard it, give yourself the holiday treat of music :) :amen:

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
shadows in the night is also very good. bob dylan has a great old man voice

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

shadows in the night is also very good. bob dylan has a great old man voice

Very true, as were the two other old man crooner albums he released around that time. Everything he does is interesting one way or the other

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Talk Talk’s discography is incredible, with Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock being some of the best music I’ve ever heard. However, I never understood the love for Mark Hollis’s solo album, especially since it’s regularly lumped in with the last two TT albums. The man was brilliant, but the solo record was dull and meandering.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

HD DAD posted:

New Order is my favorite band, but everything released after 1993 is utter, utter poo poo.
I assume you're not counting the remixes of "True Faith" and "Blue Monday" from '94 and '95.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

I'm sorry but rock music was killed in a drive-by perpetrated by the bands Papa Roach, Puddle of Mudd, and Stained.

Stain'd.

(I kinda like Stain'd)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Price To Play has a great chorus.

Unfortunately Aaron Lewis has gone insane since then

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

HD DAD posted:

And then would have grown a giant beard and rebranded himself as a twee indie artist in the 00s a la Apples in Stereo.

a giant beard is the opposite of twee

dylan owns live still

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Benny Harvey posted:

Stain'd.

(I kinda like Stain'd)
Staind.

"Mudshovel" was pretty good but eh to everything after the first album. Also yeah Aaron's a chud.

edit: Puddle of Mudd was just Alice in Chains worship that turned into bland inoffensive dadrock. Papa Roach started off as lovely annoying rapcore but on their later albums they went full-on Mötley Crüe glam and actually ended up kind of fun.

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 23, 2021

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've been thinking about why MUSE have largely sucked since Black Holes & Revelations. They were already dabbling in synthpop elements by this time but it wasn't nearly as embarrassing as some of the tunes on The Resistance. And virtually everything after that is hot garbage, their latest efforts grasping at the coattails of the synthwave fad.

It's got to be because of the Bond movies. Most of the epic tunes Muse ever wrote had the same cinematic, almost-but-not-quite psychedelic veneer to them, that you'd expect to play as rotoscoped spirals of naked lady silhouettes and handguns danced across a screen. I'm pretty sure that when the band was overlooked for a Bond theme in favour of Chris Cornell, then Jack White and finally Adele, it broke Mat Bellamy's brain.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Road Rash 3D has an absolutely terrible soundtrack but I find myself listening to it on a weekly basis.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Staind.

"Mudshovel" was pretty good but eh to everything after the first album. Also yeah Aaron's a chud.

edit: Puddle of Mudd was just Alice in Chains worship that turned into bland inoffensive dadrock. Papa Roach started off as lovely annoying rapcore but on their later albums they went full-on Mötley Crüe glam and actually ended up kind of fun.

did you see their 2021 reprisal of last resort? i swear to god andy dick's in the video

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Castor Poe posted:

1. GZA
2. Method Man
3. ODB
4. Raekwon
5. Inspectah Deck
6. Ghostface Killah
7. U-God
8. Coppadonna
9. RZA
10. Masta Killah

mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

1. Ghostface Killah
2. Method Man
3. ODB
4. Raekwon
5. GZA
6. Inspectah Deck
7. Masta Killah
8. U-God
9. Cappadonna
10. RZA

Ironman, Supreme Clientele, Fishscale, so much good poo poo from Ghost :discourse:

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
The first part of Flood by Boris sucks and goes on for too loving long.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Izzhov posted:

The first last part of Flood by Boris sucks and goes on for too loving long.

Fixed that for ya.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
I actually like the last part a lot better, its atmosphere is a lot more immersive than two slightly-desynced copies of the exact same lame plinking guitar line

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Justin Godscock posted:

If Nirvana released a fourth album in say 1995 I can see that killing off grunge or at the very least make people realize they are tired of the fad (and it was a musical fad regardless of what the music documentaries all say, fads all die).

its not so much a fad as a label that was often applied to bands by media without those bands necessarily wanting anything to do with it.

this process isnt unique to grunge it's happened a lot. bauhaus and sisters of mercy did not set out to make "goth" music, kurt cobain hated the term "grunge", massive attack were not trying to make "trip hop" which comes from some article about dj shadow etc.

these are terms that are usually coined by journalists or record labels usually in an attempt to simply be descriptive of some element of the music, but media and fan culture turn them into entire scenes and subcultures years later. "grunge" originally just roughly described the sound of few bands on subpop, it wasn't a genre or scene or even a fad, and nirvana tried (unsuccessfully) to distance themselves from it as soon as it became a word thrown around in mass media.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 4, 2022

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont get these takes. rza may not be a great rapper but he is an amazing producer and the sound he created is a huge part of why 36 chambers, liquid swords, only built 4 cuban linx, i mean basically all those early 90's albums are so good. none of those records would be the classics they are without him

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
I actually enjoy the track "Nah Nah Nah" by Kanye West. It gets stuck in my head every time someone uses the phrase.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

syntaxfunction posted:

My genuine unpopular music take is that music is awful. All of it. Stuff I like, stuff you like, stuff no one likes and stuff everyone likes. It's all trash.

And once you realise everything is trash then you can just accept people making GBS threads on your favourite band ever that totally changed your life in high school or whatever. It all sucks. Your favourite musician is a piece of poo poo and their music is for idiots. I know mine all are.

Music is trash, enjoy the lovely sounds that irritate everyone but you, and enjoy that fact.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Valko posted:

I was going to post 'All I Wanna Do' by Sheryl Crow was the most grating song I ever heard. I went looking on youtube and it just reminded me about 'Everyday is a Winding Road' which I find equally irritating. I have no idea why this is because I found the rest of her singles to be inoffensive, sometimes even catchy.

It's just those two drat tunes.

'Soak Up The Sun' is so much worse than both of those put together

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Courtesy of the Dollar Country podcast.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I just want to say that I've been watching a lot of recordings of Jethro Tull concerts and holy crap, did those guys ever gently caress. Martin Barre might be one of the best guitarists to ever do it, and Ian Anderson played like a dozen different instruments. And for all his clownish pageantry and his harlequin outfits, the man must have been on the All-Pussy Diet from 1968 to 1980.

A man who can play the flute like that must be able to do some crazy things to your butthole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mister Speaker posted:

A man who can play the flute like that must be able to do some crazy things to your butthole.

He'll overblow your hole until you resonate.