Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:golfclap: Bravo! This was a trip. Thank you for showing us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geizt
Dec 10, 2014

Thanks for the LP. Seeing obscure games like these is always a treat, and your translation work on this as you were playing was amazing as well!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Thanks for the very interesting LP. Congrats on completing the D scenario with 120 animals, was it as stressful as it seems to get all 120 animals, or is it fairly easy once you know what you're doing?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Congratulations!

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Thanks for the wonderful LP of this Completely Ordinary Game!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Thanks for the LP! A fascinating look at a game I'd otherwise never had heard of.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

What a fantastic LP.

Did we ever find out why Ken and Nek's biological father killed all those people?

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN
Congrats!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

What a fantastic LP.

Did we ever find out why Ken and Nek's biological father killed all those people?

he was feeling silly

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Awesome LP, thank you for finishing it!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Man, why did you even bother to put so much effort into such an ordinary JRPG?

Definitely looking forward to whatever you plan to do next!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

congratulations on the lp!! this was a mega fun ride, and i even recall reading the first update of this back a year ago when visiting maine for a weekend :)

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Congratulations on your full clear of everything! This game was a wild ride start to finish, and you covered it very well.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hypocrisy posted:

What a fantastic LP.

He went bananas.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Quackles posted:

He went bananas.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Hypocrisy posted:

What a fantastic LP.

he was Da Joker babey

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Congratulations! Thank you for the LP!
What a completely normal jrpg that didn't leave me asking almost as many questions then it awnsered. :coolslime:

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

What a fantastic LP.

Serious answer: yes, but it left... a few loose ends. He was upset about the theft of the town's artifact, the Tiger's Claw (which it turns is pretty easy to replace), and went on a killing spree because of that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This was a very ordinary game that did not surprise me at any point, and its monster designs especially are the most basic I've ever seen, and even moreso the PC Engine versions.

Thanks for the LP, I didn't even know about this game before. It's definitely something that will remain in my head from now on.

At least the pigs are still cute.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sum Gai posted:

Serious answer: yes, but it left... a few loose ends. He was upset about the theft of the town's artifact, the Tiger's Claw (which it turns is pretty easy to replace), and went on a killing spree because of that.
Seriously there are like five different sources where a tiger's claw just kinda shows up in a treasure chest or somewhere, what the heck guy.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It's the principle of the thing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Seriously there are like five different sources where a tiger's claw just kinda shows up in a treasure chest or somewhere, what the heck guy.

It could be more that because THAT Tiger's Claw was the town's treasured artifact, he went ballistic over the loss, while most people in the town are fine with using A tiger's claw to replace it.

Basically, it's not that it's a tiger's claw that makes it important, it's the history of that specific tiger's claw that mattered to him.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Hi all,

First of all, again of course thanks for the nice words and I'm glad that you enjoyed following this LP!

And now for some more specific comments.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I thought this was absolutely hilarious, it's supposed to be some kind of priceless artifact, but actually you can find a whole bunch of them around the world. Not to mention, you can make as many as you want too, you just need 10 male tigers for each!

rannum posted:

That was a great RPG, thank you for translating it for us. What a treat! The scenario D was a nice victory lap too, collecting all those effeciently. Little surprising the Aye Ayes were something you still had to grab from the NPCs; just furthers my thoughts that this whole thing was modified off a save state they made on a Route C run.

Do you have any links to a nice speedrun, I'd love to see the "optimal" gameplay the community's gotten to
Yeah, this was my conclusion also, that they played the game up to a point and made some kind of save state and that ended up being Scenario D.

Don't really have too many good examples for speedruns right now, but here is one: https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm32328909 (sorry for nico nico link ;) ). Japanese word for "speedrun" is "RTA" (= Real Time Attack) so you can search on Youtube and Nico Video for "リンダキューブ RTA" to find some more.

Randalor posted:

Thanks for the very interesting LP. Congrats on completing the D scenario with 120 animals, was it as stressful as it seems to get all 120 animals, or is it fairly easy once you know what you're doing?
Stressful, yes and no I guess. First of all, there's definitely a RNG element, so you may have to reload rather than waste time in some situations which I've pointed out. Other than that, there's also the issue that you don't really know if you're doing well time-wise until the season actually changes or not, since it can really be just seconds making a difference sometimes. So I would say even when you know what you're doing, it's kind of mildly stressful because of RNG and the need to use the "wait" method sometimes which also uses precious seconds.

This is amazing. I love it.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Man, why did you even bother to put so much effort into such an ordinary JRPG?

Definitely looking forward to whatever you plan to do next!

Lol I know!

But on the question on what next, you give me a good segue here...

I was considering two options for the next game:

- Tengai Makyou II: Manjimaru (Far East of Eden II) -- the original PC Engine version, not the PS2/GC remake. For those who don't know, this series was basically the PC Engine equivalent of Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest games from NES/SNES. Except it has cutscenes and voiced dialogue since, well, PC Engine actually had a CD drive unlike the Nintendo consoles.
- Black/Matrix -- the "A/D" remake version for Dreamcast. A dark fantasy SRPG set to a trip-hop soundtrack (yes, really).

It's most likely going to be Tengai Makyou II first, but you can tell me your opinions on the topic also. :v:

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Thanks so much for this awesome LP of an ordinary game! Thinking about it, if it'd come out in English I probably would've rented it a few times and gotten nowhere but enjoyed the vibes and then purchased it later in life to properly enjoy, much like I've done with Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon and Azure Dreams. Discovering all the secrets and story yourself must feel special.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I only know one thing about those two games, and it's just the existence of the hidden character in Black/Matrix. That's about it. Either would be cool to see.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Of those, Black/Matrix seems way more compelling to me.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Thanks so much for this amazing LP!!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

all i know about far east of eden is the one thats in the US with the funny jrpg style map of north america :v: so uh, maybe that series since it sounds p cool

e: ah Ha, i found the map!!! https://twitter.com/Cybershell/status/1488956863869689858

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Apparently Canada doesn't exist there.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

LJN92 posted:

I live in Canada and I can confirm that it doesn't.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

LJN92 posted:

We decided to get while the getting was good. Sorry you had to find out this way.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Booky posted:

all i know about far east of eden is the one thats in the US with the funny jrpg style map of north america :v: so uh, maybe that series since it sounds p cool

e: ah Ha, i found the map!!! https://twitter.com/Cybershell/status/1488956863869689858

Yeah, that's kind of the joke with these games. It's meant to be a map of the US made by people from Japan who have never seen it/been there or something like that.

Tengai Makyou II is set in Jipang (fake Japan) and has a map which was "made by a scholar from the Smithsonian institute":

There is one set in London, too.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ivantod posted:

Yeah, that's kind of the joke with these games. It's meant to be a map of the US made by people from Japan who have never seen it/been there or something like that.

Tengai Makyou II is set in Jipang (fake Japan) and has a map which was "made by a scholar from the Smithsonian institute":

There is one set in London, too.

lmao that Owns, im liking the big ol cow in the north too

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
So I know this is coming a bit late in the game (heh), but somehow I had no idea at all about it until yesterday...

Turns out, around the time the PlayStation and Saturn remake came out, also a book novelisation of Linda³ was published in Japan! Check this out:

I know what you're thinking, but don't get too excited. It only covers basically the storyline of Scenario B--also this is confirment by the fact that the book's subtitle is "Happy Child", the same as the Scenario B title (by the way I completely forgot to mention during the LP that the name "Sachiko" actually means "Happy child" in Japanese, so there's that). But anyway, this means that likely there's not too much about the overarching plot to be found there.

The cover does feature Shoji Masuda's name, although according to his own statement, he didn't actually write the book--it is an offical tie-in though.

What's more interesting to me though is that it seems to feature even more illustrations, some of which I have not seen elsewhere:

Interesting, but I'm not sure I want to spend $60 to buy a second hand copy on eBay, especially since it's really only Scenario B (not to mention that the original retail price was a whole $7!).

Anyway, just thought I should let you know that this exists.

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

Excellent work!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ohhh thats cool!! will those book deetz get added to the lp as a bonus or is it a fun aside post?

also man that dr emory illustration looks gnarly; shame about the inflated prices tho 😔

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
EVIL NOVEL

Thanks for the amazing LP!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Dr. Hitler lookin even freakier, I totally dig this art style

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Snake Maze posted:

EVIL NOVEL

If the LP wasn't already done, I would suggest "Linda Cube: EVIL NOVEL" as the new thread name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Thank you so much for this wonderful LP. Fantastic translation, intelligent gameplay, insightful commentary, plenty of background info... Everything was there and polished to a brilliant shine, and I loved every minute.