Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
This is the first I've ever heard of this game, but my money is on Neo-Kenya turning out to have been Earth all along. Also, because my first impulse when I see an obscure Japan-only RPG is "I'm gonna play that game myself", I did a quick Google search and found that there is an ongoing fan translation project, in case anyone wants to try it for themselves someday.

I'm curious as to where this goes. There weren't a ton of sci-fi JRPGs in that era that I'm aware of, and most of those that existed mixed it with fantasy or other paranormal elements to various degrees, whereas Linda Cubed looks like it might stick to its guns (no pun intended) and go full sci-fi, which makes me wonder how they'll escalate the threat later on without pulling in the supernatural. Between Linda Cubed and Laplace's Demon (basically Wizardry but Lovecraft), I'm wondering just what other offbeat, Japan-exclusive JRPGs the PC-Engine had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm assuming that it's a different storyline for each scenario, and not just different amounts of animals/time limits in place? Because I really hope Linda doesn't lose her memory each time.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Randalor posted:

I'm assuming that it's a different storyline for each scenario, and not just different amounts of animals/time limits in place? Because I really hope Linda doesn't lose her memory each time.
WIthout going into too much detail because it would be a bit of a spoiler, but I can tell you that you don't need to worry about this because different scenarios don't follow the same path. I.e. they differ more than just having a different winning condition.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The whole vibe of this game feels very "90s OAV series that got chopped up and recut as a single 96 minute film that aired on SciFi Channel's Saturday morning anime block"

quote:

Everything that happened after this image had me going "Nope don't like that one bit"

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

TurnipFritter posted:

The whole vibe of this game feels very "90s OAV series that got chopped up and recut as a single 96 minute film that aired on SciFi Channel's Saturday morning anime block"

Yeah, there's something about the very specific strain of weird sci-fi and cyberpunk anime that cropped up in the 80s and 90s that has a very unique feel to it. It's difficult to explain, but if you've encountered it, you know exactly what I mean.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Apparently Ken also has latent Beastorizer powers.

peachsynapse
Dec 22, 2007

The sea monsters appreciate your good taste.
I actually really love those pixellated PC Engine graphics and monster sprites. Charming as hell. Please keep showing them off if you can.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Welcome back to Linda³! Last time we made some effort to get up to level 3, but then it turned out that there was a strange incident in Minago which made everyone there disappear! The only survivor is, apparently, Linda, who was taken to the "medical town" Hospico, but she seems to have lost her memories, and therefore doesn't even know who Ken is! However, Ken was informed that there is a possibility to cure Linda's amnesia, however it will take some time to arrange, and so Ken was told to continue the task of animal gathering for now.

Also, Ken had a chat with a talking flower!

In this episode, Ken will be, among other things, heading to the North Pole!

Last time, when we left him, Ken was standing here in the entrance/exit area of Hospico. We really should go and collect a few more species, but there is something else we could check out first, and it also might yield quite a good reward if we're lucky!

So if we head slightly northeast from Hospico...

...passing by some animal species which don't look like anything we've met so far...

...we reach a place called Paraside, which we've heard about last time a bit.

Well, seems like an inviting place, but nevertheless, let's head inside!

Rusty metal shacks and stuff... yes that pretty much seems to be what it was described to us as. Let's talk to the person here!

The big building at the back is known as "Junk Palace". They built is so haphazardly that it's now like a maze in there, nobody can find their way in or out!

Luckily, this is not what we are here for today! So, we'll just head around the corner.

This is the place we're looking for!

The shack houses what I like to call the "animal dismantler". It's basically a guy who will turn some of your caught animals into random items. Well, the items are random out of a set of a few that a particular animal can yield. And even better, his services cost nothing! You just lose the animal you had in exchange for an item (or sometimes just nothing). This guy is also one easy way to earn basically infinite money right here at this spot where we are in the game! But more on that in just a minute, let's first talk to him.

If you want, I can even dismantle a rat without a tail or even a dog which talks too much! My speciality is to extract treasure from the belly of an animal without damaging it. Regardless if I find something or not, the cost is the same: the meat of the animal itself. Shall we get started?

Yes, let's. In particular I want to see what we get from male and female rats. First, let's start with a male rat I have from last time.

Here, I have highlighted the male rats and we can see that I have 3 of them. The fact that they are highlighed in yellow colour means that I haven't handed them in at the ark yet (that would be indicated by white). That means I can "spend" a maximum of 2 here, as I have to keep one for the ark, as always. So let's "dismantle" a male rat finally:

I found a champion's medal!

More on what this item is at a later date. Let's do one more male rat:

I found a golden nugget!

Well, this is definitely a good outcome. Golden nugget is one of those typical items that you can just sell for money! This one brings us a whole 6400 G! So we'll be making use of that soonish! It will also allow us to already repay our loan.

Anyway, I also have 3 female rats, so we can try to "dismantle" 2 of them and see what we get. The first one:

Hm, I thought I found a rare ring, but on second look there is nothing.

Ugh. Ok, the second one:

I found a swallow cutter!

Another decent outcome, actually. Swallow cutter is another weapon we can equip, and it's in fact very slightly better than the one I bought last time:

It brings Ken's attack from 131 to 134. Not really much, but why not, right?

Also, swallow cutter is the key to infinite money at this particular point in the game. You can head over to animal dealer and buy rats for however much money you have (they only cost 20 G apiece). Then you bring them here and hope to get as many swallow cutters as you can (of course it's random, but you'll get a few probably). Then you go to the equipment shop and sell the cutters for around 1400 G each! And voilą--as much money as you want, until you get bored of repeating the process. I should note that this is only really possible to do in the early game, since the animals that the dealer sells change to higher level ones as Ken's own level increases, but it's there at least if you need help to get started. For now, we have our golden nugget which we can sell, so we'll just be on our way.

Exiting back to the overworld, we find that it's still actually Summer. I mention this for two reasons. One reason is, if this is your first playthrough and you spend time wandering around the overworld, looking for different animals, here is typically where you might be caught with the season change. It seems that one season on normal difficulty (2) lasts around 15 minutes, but as mentioned, time stops in towns and during battle. The other thing which is interesting to note is that the season change timer is only checked on "screen change". This means, as long as you wander around the overworld, the game just scrolls around the map without an entirely new screen loading, and so the season change will not happen. It will only be actually checked when you enter/exit from a town or a tunnel or something like that. Therefore as long as we stay on the overworld, it will remain Summer and we can spend as much time as we like. Once we enter a town or cause a screen load in some other way, we can probably expect it to become Autumn soon. Anyway, there is one other piece of the puzzle regarding time passage which I haven't covered, and that is what happens with the time when you're in a dungeon. But, we'll talk about that when we actually are in one--as mentioned, only some of the species can be found like this on the overworld, but many can't and for those we need to dig deeper so to speak.

But for now, we can still catch a few new species around the East area!

This flying thing we just saw on our way to Paraside, so let's see what it is!

Oh, it's just a bunch of rabbits! Of course!

They honestly don't have any exciting abilities so not too much to say here. I should however mention, that the nubers for level and HP that you can see on these info cards are just "average" and both level and HP can vary somewhat, both up and down. But you're not going to suddenly find a level 20 rabbit or anything like that.

Incidentally, rabbit is one of the species whose design has changed drastically in the remake. Here is what they used to look like in the PC Engine version originally:

I'm not really sure which version I prefer, they both are interesting in different ways.

Anyway, let's move on to our next species. For the record, Ken starts this update as level 4. Also, for now, I'm not going into a lot of detail because I'm still using just the simple attack with Ken. Once things start getting more complex in battles, I'll be sure to show that off.

As usual, I will catch typically a few more of each species as I wander around.

But soon enough, we run into something else new:

You can kind of already tell on the overworld, but yeah, it's a buch of crabs!

Also, nothing much to fear here either. The "lost" status effect just inverts your controls for a little while, but has no other detrimental effects. Luckily, also we're not fighting them on their native terrain (water) so that makes things easier here!

Here is number three on our shopping list today:

Some proper Neo-Kenyan moles!

Again a pretty simple enemy, so we can quickly move on to the next.

To find our next species, we'll have to step into the water.

It's a group of stonefish!

Unlike the stonefish we know in our world, these don't seem to be actually venomous. But they can definitely hit a bit hard so you may want to be careful with them anyway! As you can see, they are bit higher level than Ken is right now! It is manageable, however (but I did have to reload the save state because they nearly murdered me once!).

The final species on today's list is also around this area:

This time, it's a pair of monkeys.

They are less dangerous, although will chase you on the overworld, so if you're not ready... I hope you have some HP to use for sprinting to run away!

In any case, I fight a few more animals on the overworld in order to reach level 7, as we were instructed to do by the hospital director. And just as all that is going on, Ken again gets a notification that there is a phone message waiting for him.

So with that in mind, let's head back to the ark to first hand in our backpack content, and then we'll see about the message.

Since we're on the east side of East area, in order to reach the ark (and Hardia), we'll use again that tunnel which we previously used to reach Hospico.

As we exit on the west side, the game helpfully informs us that it's now Autumn 1991 and we only have 7 years and 3 seasons left to finish the task. It also mentions that we still have 27 species to collect, but of course that doesn't include ones in our backpack which we are about to hand in.

Not a fan of this weather, it's a bit too rainy for me.

As a matter of fact, as if it doesn't have enough unusual mechanics already, this game has changing/random weather too! So this rain is kind of coincidental, it's entirely possible for it to also be dry in Autumn, or even snowy in the more northerly parts. To help you out, one of the functions that you can invoke on the telephones is to check the satellite weather forecast for a particular area! This of course also has to do with which animals may or may not be out and about in which weather and so on.

Anyway, heading into the ark...

We have quite a bunch of species to hand in (all which are written in yellow): crab, rabbit, rat, dragonfly, monkey, mole and stonefish (this includes the ones from last time which I didn't hand in). This results in the usual stat increases, but also this time in some new abilities for our characters! Linda gets a start on her "crab" abilities with Armored skin and then also gains Escape Jump, while Ken gets Desperate attack from a rat and also Fire attack from a dragonfly. We'll try this out soon, especially now when Ken actually finally has some BP to use on this stuff.

Finally, the helpful robot here informs us that we have successfully collected 10 species so far out of 30 we need, so I guess you can say that we're a third of the way done, except that doesn't take into account that it's not always going to be this simple!

Anyway, while we're here, we can go and visit Ben, the ranger commander, to see what he thinks about the whole Linda situation.

He's over here at his desk:

Looks like the gods have been a bit mischievous lately... but I think they've gone a bit overboard on that. I know it's hard, Ken, but you have to be tough!

Ok, now back to the entrace to finally listen to our message!

The message is from Dr. Chen, the hospital director over in Hospico:

This is Chen, the hospital director in Hospico! Please come see me as soon as you can, I have some good news! Meet me in front of Linda's room!

All right, well, let's do that! We really do need to sort out Linda's memory loss if we can.

We'll go through the tunnel back to Hospico and then, in front of Linda's room:

He means Ken's newly gained fame as the second crew member of the ark.

You need to go to Eterna immediately. You will meet there the company chairwoman, she asked to see you... I guess it's not easy being so famous. She has some unusual hobbies, but nevertheless she is very helpful to people in need! I'm sure she'll help you too if you ask her!
Anyway, the amnesia drug is called "Memorin Z", and you should go to Eterna and talk to the Green Pharmaceutial Co. chairwoman about it.

Well, that sounds awesome, but could it really be this easy? Somehow I'm not sure. Either way, we have no option but to head over to Eterna.

Although before we head over there, there is something I forgot to do last time, which is to visit the hotel:

It's just up here, not really even marked properly!

Our beds have a reputation for being very comfortable. After all, they are hospital surplus, so a lot of people have already slept in them!

Honestly, it's worth visiting places if for no other reason then because of funny lines like this.

After this, I visit the animal trader and sell all my extra animals for a bit of money which we will need shortly, and then let's check out our navigation device to figure out where we need to even go.

So here's where we are right now, at the eastern side of East area, in Hospico (pointed at by the black line).

And here is where Eterna is (the line is pointing at it), at the far north of the North area (which we haven't even visited yet).

It seems like quite a trek, and that's not even taking into account that Eterna is also behind a big mountain range and what appears to be a very large lake too.

So... what to do? Well, we can take the public transport to get there. It will cost us some money, but at least we don't have to walk, right? Because, of course this game has also a fast travel system, and it's even available from the very beginning of the game!

Therefore, let's go and sort out our tickets!

You might have noticed in every entrance/exit area these stairs in the corner, that we havent used so far. Well, now we'll finally go up to the second floor.

There we find the local service counter of the planet-wide Bird Line. Basically a form of public transport on this planet, but also our means of fast travel. So let's talk to them.

If I don't like a customer, usually I say to them, "Customer, you don't look so good today." Then they usually end up getting bird-sick. The power of suggestion is amazing!

That's pretty funny, but let's see about those tickets...

There are various destinations listed here along with the prices. The prices in the left hand column are for direct flights, whereas the ones on the right are for a flight with changeover(s). Changeovers are just a minor inconvenience, so there's no reason not to save money here. The flight to Eterna with changeovers costs 410 G (highlighted on the screen), which is not exactly cheap. Oh, if only there was a way to not have to pay for the flights... ah, well, there probably isn't.

The service agent gives us some last information:

The routing will be, Hospico -> Ozport -> Battle Park -> Eterna. Then, please stand on the red platfom now. Have a pleasant journey!

Let's see...

Whoa. Actually that's pretty cool!

Some time later, we arrive at Ozport

At every changeover point, you can have a chat with the people at the service desk!

The "Shot" service is convenient as you can be dropped off anywhere you want, but it can be a bit dangerous. Therefore we recommend to buy a set of rescue beacons and always have some with you in case of emergency.

Ah, yes, another game mechanic -- drop off and pick up anywhere on the overworld! We don't need it for now, though. Let's continue our trip.

Our last changeover point is Battle Park.

To reach the lake area north of coordinate 7, please use the east-west tunnels in the dome! For you safety, please verify the chances of snowfall before you set off.

There we go--I was wondering about this on the map of North area, but now she's explained it. Along with the weather situation, which I already mentioned. All right, let's hop on one more time and finally head to Eterna.

And here we are!

Before heading in, a quick chat with the Bird Line person:

Be careful of the weasels, they are said to disguise themsevels in a tree and wait for a year or two for a desirable prey to pass by!

Well good to know I guess! I'll try to remember it when we are looking for weasels.

Ok, enough of that, let's put on our Christmas cheer and head into town!

Man, it's full of Santas and Christmas trees! What is even going on here? Let's head over to the inn and see what's up.

Talking to the Santa:

When you have a problem, just go and talk to chairwoman Elizabeth. Her soothing voice will make your troubles not seem so big any more.

And the girl:

My father works as a guard in front of Madam Elizabeth's office. My mother works as a receptionist at the refugee centre. We sometimes talk about how the four of us would also like to have a nice house like that some day.

There's another person upstairs:

I've heard that Green Pharmaceutical Co. used to be a small-time cosmetics company. In just ten years, they've reached the top of the business world! Now it's one of the best and most profitable companies in the Federation!

On the other side of the path is another house, somehow also an inn.

Chairwoman Elizabeth is like a saint. Her heart is as warm as sun and her beauty is as eternal as stars.

Wow. Apart from some weird Christmas obsession, there seems to be also a massive personality cult going on here!

Upstairs:

Green Pharmaceutial Co. is one of the fastest growing companies in the Federation. Using the animals of this planet as raw materials, they have developed thousands of new drugs over the course of last 50 years, which nobody else has been able to copy!

And the other person...

The driving force behind the tremendous expansion of Green Pharmaceuticals has been the genius of Dr. Panheim--he is able to create unique drugs one after another! Also, the three generations of chairwomen who have ensured the continuity in the company management.

There are also two Santas hanging around here, so let's talk to them too, as usual.

Merry Christmas! If you are in a money trouble, please go to the job office in Lina Valley, the town next door to us. If you are hungry, then please head to the chairwoman's mansion!

And the other one:

Merry Christmas! If you don't have a bed in an inn for toninght, you can stay in any house. There is no fee!

But... all houses seem to be inns, even this one here right next to you? Kind of a touristy place? Let's go inside.

I don't hate this outfit... but it gets quite hot in the summer, you know.

I guess we could also stay over in this one, Ken does need to have his HP replenished after all that hunting and leveling up.

There's no accomodation fee, but please instead make a donation for the refugees.

This is a real inn with HP replenish and everything, but you can pay whatever amount you choose! Let's pay a few G so that Ken can rest.

And well, might as well show an update where Ken is currently stat-wise:

He is level 7 and his strength is crab-level (148), his defence is rabbit-level (112) and his speed is squid-level (122). Oh well, I'm sure we'll improve soon.

Before we leave this house, let's check upstairs.

If you work hard for a couple of years in Lina Valley next door, you can earn good money. The question is only whether you will then have any strength left to actually spend it.

Interesting. I'm sure we'll be checking out Lina Valley at some point, so we'll see what that's all about.

The house on the other side is somehow not an inn!

Instead, it houses the animal trader and the butcher for some reason! Talking to the animal trader, we get some good advice:

If you like your dog, be careful of snakes and octopuses. Dogs are their favourite food.

And the butcher...

There's this guy who comes here and sells pork sausages. I buy them for 1G and sell them to the mansion for 2G. I guess that's business.

Checking out his inventory...

...he does indeed sell a pork sausage for 2G, in addition to dolphin roast for a whole 32G. Well, you know what, let's try the sausage. I buy a sausage and eat it.

* Ken ate a pork sausage *
* Ken's HP is fully recovered. Also, it tasted like rusted metal. *

So HP recovery is kind of a default result for eating meat. But depending on the kind of a meat, there could be other, good or bad. Also this game sometimes gives really funny messages!

There is also a girl upstairs in this house:

The big bro in the mansion always wears a Santa mask. He has burn marks on his face, but I like him because he gives me sweets without telling my mum!

I don't know where to even start with this one, so I guess I won't!

Over here there's three more Santas, so let's finish our tour before going in the big mansion (which actually you can't see because it's a bit further down the path).

Merry Christmas! The town of Eterna is run by Green Pharmaceuticals, a company which serves the best interests of everyone's health. Also, if you go in the mansion, you can get a pork sausage for free!

The second one:

Merry Christmas... I guess. I know it's the boss's hobby, but having it be Christmas all year round gets a bit tiresome after a while, you know?

Yeah, I see what you mean. Ok, the last one:

Half the people who have to leave this planet have no idea where they're going to end up or what they're going to do. Your goodwill can give them more hope for life! Please donate! Many of them have no idea what they'll do about jobs, housing, food, etc. after they leave the planet.

Oh, so that's what they mean by refugees! Well it makes sense, I guess. You in fact can actually donate money in game, if you want. I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually do anything (except taking your money!).

Ok, it's time to go in the mansion!

Here there is a Santa who seems to be like a... receptionist? I don't know.

We provide free food here. Go left for women, right for men and please follow the instructions of the volunteers!

Luckily we can go anywhere we like, so let's go right first.

Yes! Pork sausages! If one is not enough, you're welcome to have another! Please only eat in the dining room. No eating while walking around the house!

* Ken receives a pork sausage! *

That was the Santa, and now the other person, presumably one of the refugees?

This is like a fairy tale, so if Madam Elizabeth is a wicked witch, then I'm about to get eaten! I've put on 10 kg since I've been here! Well, I guess I wouldn't mind getting eaten by such a beautiful woman.

There's also this other person over by the shelves:

You can walk freely around the mansion. Although the door in the back of ground floor always seems to be locked, so you can't even see inside. I think that's where all the adult toys are kept, because I've heard someone has heard a woman scream from inside... Well, I mean, that guy likes always to tell stories, but...

On the left side, there's also three people, another Santa and two refugees. Let's start with Santa.

Men can eat in the dining room on the right. Please head over there.

Well, we already got out food, so we're fine. Now the two refugees:

Dr. Panheim is the director of development here. He's some kind of a genius, but I don't like him. He has a horrible laugh and he has bad breath. Also his nails are dirty.
I'm not going to complain about free food... but when you eat sausages every day, even your body starts to smell like a sausage, you know?

And then there's this other person by the desk...

They say that when you smell Madam Elizabeth's perfume, it's like honey was poured on your head. It's kind of a weird feeling...

This is all getting weirder by the minute...

There are definitely two chests in that room, but there's also a locked door. So nothing can be done for now. Therefore we continue around the mansion.

Madam Elizabeth is always in the room upstairs. She's happy to meet everyone, but if you have a request it may be rude to show up empty handed.

Sure, let's head up, maybe we can also meet her. I mean, she's supposed to be expecting us, right?

Merry Christmas! Are you here to see chairwoman Elizabeth?
[Yes] / No.
Please wait a moment.

And finally, we can go inside.

Well, I can recognise you just by looking at you. You're quite a hot topic these days, aren't you? Signing up for the ark... that took a lot of courage! It's amazing!
So, what is it that you need from me? For a celebrity like you, I'd do almost anything!
[Request Memorin Z] / Ask for food / Leave

We start by requesting Memorin Z which was promised to us (sort of).

Ah, that is a bit of a problem... You see, we don't make it any more. Memory loss is quite rare, you know... so it wasn't profitable.
But, not to worry. There are still people here who know how to make it. A person named Panheim will contact you later, would that be ok? In the meantime, please continue with your task of collecting animals.
Was there anything else?

Here you can definitely choose to ask about food, but she just tells you to go down to the ground floor where we've already been. So I guess let's leave.

I've enjoyed your visit here today, Ken! If there is anything you need, please don't hesitate come and see me!

I guess that's that for here. We now have to wait to get a call from this Panheim guy, who apparently is able to make the amnesia medication for Linda. However, things do seem to get weirder by the minute, so we'll have to see what that's all about. There seem to be a lot of things about Green Pharmaceuticals and its chairwoman and employees which can be qualified under varying degrees of "odd", that's for sure.

If we go back down the stairs, there is also this dude in the garden, whom I forgot previously:

The dead trees here in the garden are actually cherry trees. I used to come here with my late grandmother back in the day to watch the cherry blossoms when the chairwoman wasn't looking. Those were the good times... there's no point to live this long.

Cheery. But for us, it's time to head out.

Well, that's it for today. But a question poses itself... where shall we head next then?

That's definitely something to think about, but for now I will tell you, although the game didn't specify, that the call from Panheim will arrive around the time Ken reaches level 9, so not too far in the future! Whether that will get us any closer to the medicine, remains to be seen!

For now, enjoy some more illustrations!

For today, we have a first a full drawing of Elizabeth and then also another silly one from the PC Engine era!

ivantod fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 9, 2022

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

The animal designs are really fun!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Cyclops, lamprey, armadillo to ear wings is quite a change.

I think this Elizabeth is on the up and up. She feels trustworthy.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I dunno, I feel like her last name should be Bathory.

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

Those PC-Engine rabbits :stonk:

I'm loving that this game continues to be all sorts of weird :allears:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So if a season is supposed to be 15 minutes long but only transitions after a screenspchange, what happens if you spend 30 minutes before doing a screen transition? Does it just jump to the "correct" season, or does it go to the next one in order?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Randalor posted:

So if a season is supposed to be 15 minutes long but only transitions after a screenspchange, what happens if you spend 30 minutes before doing a screen transition? Does it just jump to the "correct" season, or does it go to the next one in order?

No, it doesn't skip. It goes to the next one in order. So this is a way to give yourself a little extra time in certain situations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
These animal sprites are cool, if often totally nuts. I like it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Linda 'cubed'. Or 'to the power of 3'. Speculation: either there's cloning involved or....there's a meat-based pun.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Bloodly posted:

Linda 'cubed'. Or 'to the power of 3'. Speculation: either there's cloning involved or....there's a meat-based pun.

We already know what the title's about, at least- there's 3 scenarios you can pick from at the start with different plots. There might very well be cloning/meat processing involved, also- in fact it's a pretty good bet- but that's what the Cubed in the title means.

Sum Gai fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 29, 2021

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It's a shame more JRPGs didn't run with and develop this game's idea of being the kennelmaster of a squadron of dogs, imo

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

GunnerJ posted:

It's a shame more JRPGs didn't run with and develop this game's idea of being the kennelmaster of a squadron of dogs, imo

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

GunnerJ posted:

At least in Minecraft you can play as games were intended to be played. Surrounded by an army of dogs who go berserk if something touches you. (And then yeet themselves into lava. But they got the spirit.)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

I said dogs. :colbert:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Didn't Metal Saga have several options of canines that could join you?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

GunnerJ posted:

I said dogs. :colbert:

Too good for a team of six growlithes are we?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Too good for a team of six growlithes are we?

Growlithe, Rockruff, Yamper, Furfrou, Poochyena, Lilipup

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Black Robe posted:

It is at times like these that I regret the fact that the game only allows two katakana letters maximum for the names of dogs! :v:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Black Robe posted:

Poochyena is a hyena, and thus not a dog. Houndour totally is though.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Poochyena is a hyena, and thus not a dog. Houndour totally is though.

Pooch = dog. Though it does evolve into a hyena, because Pokemon logic. Houndour is an acceptable replacement though.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Snubbull or Swirlix are also possibilities.

Please appreciate candy dog

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012

AltaBrown posted:

I dunno, I feel like her last name should be Bathory.

Or maybe Holmes...

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Well, Christmas town was quite the surprise, but a lot of things so far have been quite unexpected. Nothing strange going on in this town at all.

Always love seeing a strange very normal game that never got localized, and I'm digging this weird typical setting.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Hello everyone, and welcome back to Linda³! In his quest to restore Linda's memory, last time Ken went to visit the town of Eterna, all the way up in the North. There he met Elizabeth Green, the chairwoman of the Green Pharmaceutical Co. She promised him that she can produce for him a quantity of "Memorin Z", a medication which allegedly cures amnesia. She promised Ken that someone named Dr. Panheim will get in touch with him over that (we've already head about him previously as one of the three most renowned scientists on Neo-Kenya).

Also, in Eterna it seems to be a permanent Christmas time and everybody wears Santa Claus suits.

Before we continue with todays episode, I have to make a correction--last time I was referring to Eterna's location as "North Area", but that's not entirely accurate: even though it's located quite far to the North, in fact the game considers this to be the "West Area" instead, due to the shifted arrangement of the areas on the map. There is, in fact, no "North Area" in this game at all!

Well, with that done, let's go and catch up with Ken, who has just finished his meeting with Elizabeth.

So, let's head outside.

Oh, good, it hasn't started snowing yet! Snow can be a bit of a problem as it slows down your movement by quite a bit! But as I said, luckily, it's not snowing at the moment, although it's very possible to do so at this time of year at this kind of northern location.

Another thing, you might recall that Eterna is situated north of a rather large lake. For now, we want to pay a visit to a nearby place which is to the west, so we'll just go around the lake and follow the mountain range which separates this whole northern region from the rest of the map.

Eventually, over here, there is a tunnel leading west. If you recall, again, last time one of the Bird Line employees told us about the tunnel which is the only way to access the locations north of coordinate 7 (which is where we currently are). Taking this tunnel will lead us to a place called Battle Park, which we passed through during our connecting flights. Today we're going to explore it a bit just to see what's going on in the world.

Here we are, on the other side of the tunnel! The sign with the arrow simply points out that going east leads to Eterna and Lina Valley which we already know.

So let's start with our usual tour of the place!

We'll start with this lady over here. I can't help but notice that she also seems to be pregnant...

If you're not confident in your strength level, it maybe not such a bad idea to run back into town when it starts snowing. Around here, knowing when to run away is just as important as having courage. Especially if you have someone to come back to at home.

The tent to the left of her is empty. This is a bit unfortunate, as sometimes you can find here a guy to whom you can sell those medals (like the one we got last time). But he only has some percentage of showing up, and apparently today we're not in that range so he's not here. We could have sold the medal for about 1000G, but that's ok, I'm sure we'll find him another time. So for now, let's check out the other two tents which are immediately next to us.

This area is in the centre of the West Area, so hunters naturally started meeting here to trade the spoils and exchange information. Soon enough, temporary tents started being permanent, then the merchants showed up, and so the town of Battle Park was born!

When you're outside if you see some tiny specks flying around... those are fleas. They too count as animals, so don't forget to catch them!

This is good advice, because you genuinely might miss them otherwise because they are kind of hard to see. But, yes, fleas definitely count as animals we need to catch in this game, and we'll be doing just that a bit later today!

Located centrally, there is quite a large tent here, so let's check that out.

Near the entrance is the bar, where Ken can order a drink to replenish his HP. But as usual, make sure to only have ONE drink, as having more will inflict the "lost" status effect for short duration--you know the really annoying one which inverts all directional controls!

That's pretty cool... I wonder if there's ever going to be a musical performance here? Hmm... well, never mind.

What we do have here, is a waitress.

By the way, one thing which remains fun until the very end of life is... food! So you end up eating too much which harms your body. And then it starts feeling even better than sex, so you end up eating even more. End result: fat and middle aged! Too bad...

I just love how philosophical some of the NPCs in this game are. It's just plain fun to talk to everybody, because you never know what kind of crazy thing they may say!

There's also that guy standing at the blue desk, over there.

Come! The strongest creatures that have ever existing will show you their infinite power in the third ring!

Uh, what do you mean? Helpfully, we can ask him for an explanation.

Let's do it! / [ Explain the rules? ] / I'm too busy right now!
The participation fee is 2000G. Once you win, you get a prize of 1000G. For each subsequent win, the prize money doubles. If you win eight times in a row, you will be this seasons champion! But if the team leader is knocked out, the whole team loses and forfeits the prize money. However, you can stop at any point and take the money you've collected so far. There's no shame in quitting while you're ahead.

Ah, so this is some sort of battle arena, where you have a gauntlet of 8 fights in a row! In fact, you can see the fighting area over the the left. What he didn't mention is that there are three different rings, in order of difficulty, and this one where we're standing right now is the hardest. Eithe way, we're a bit busy, so we won't bother with this right now, but we'll definitely check it out later.

You can also talk to the dudes inside the ring... that is, you could if the waitress would finally decide to move! But NPCs in this game have somewhat randomised pathing and sometimes just. don't. want. to. move! I literally had to exit and re-enter the tent to reset her position so I could talk to that guy!

There we go, that's better!

Instead of looking, come in and fight!
Who's next? I'll take on anyone!

They DO NOT have particularly profound things to say, that's for sure!

Further to the left is the second (middle) ring.

Harder than a turtle and stronger than a tiger! You can become a hero in the second ring!

And the guys inside:

Nnnnngh...
You're not going to get a prize by standing there, you know?

Still a bit further to the left is the first ring!

The way to become a true fighter! Young people, try this ring first!

Ah, I guess this one is the easiest. I'm going to take a wild guess that the prizes are not nearly as good. By the way, if we become the "champion", as mentioned, we get one of those medals that can be sold to that special guy who only appears sometimes in one of the tents outside.

We can also see what the waitress here has to say.

Most of the hunters here seem to believe that their team is the strongest. They don't seem to have even the slightest doubt about it. Hence this tent being full of reckless fools at all times!

The guys in the ring, as always, have nothing particularly profound to say...

Hey, sonny! Let's partner up!
Our team is the strongest!

But then there is also that guy hanging just outside the ring...

She's a little bit over 30 and she's the perfect womanly charm, not to mention how experienced she is in the ways of the world, the Green Pharmaceuticals chairwoman... She's a real beauty, isn't she?
[ She's amazing! ] / Eh, not my kind of thing.
Oh, those white fingers of hers, like canned asparagus sticks... I would love to be able to suck on them just once!

Most of these dialogue options really don't change anything, so I'll generally just try to pick whichever one is funnier. Anyway, moving swiftly onwards to the guy in the corner who is wearing a lab coat...

If you want to prove your strenght, go and fight! Even if it goes south, I'll fix you up!

Oh, right, this is one of those doctors who "revive" you when you die in a battle. The official explanation is also that your body is transferred into the backpack, hence why when it happens you lose some of your captured animals, to make space!

Let's head back outside...

There are two guys standing outside the tent entances. As you can imagine, their purpose is to get people to come inside!

It's the Battle Park's famous battle arena! Every hunter's dream! Who will win the champion's belt?

As opposed to that medal item we have, champion's belt is a higher level award.

It's the Battle Park's famous battle arena! The place where you can beat up other people for money! If you've got what it takes, come on in!

Anyway, there's this other guy here...

When "Hume the thorough" finishes his hunting, there's hardly a rat left in the world! I'm pretty sure he's singlehandledly responsible for the extinction of more than one species on this planet! So it's a quite funny that his daughter ended up as the crew member of the ark meant to save the animals!

I think it was mentioned before, but Hume is, of course, Linda's dad. We haven't met him over the course of the game, though.

Next, let's head into the equipment shop.

The goat is a useful animal, which can be used to make either weapons or clothes. Especially when there is no snow, they are easy to catch as their strength is reduced!

This will become important already today! In any case, there is not really any useful equipment to buy here, so we'll hold off on that (we'll anyway find some good stuff shortly for free). But I will sell some of my not needed stuff like the old weapons, and in particular, this thing...

The famous "gold nugget" which we got previously, and which, as you can see, actually sells for 6400G! Not bad at all for basically no work!

And then the guy in the corner who seems to be... sharpening knives?

The "flea slingshot" is a good weapon for its price... but people are often reluctant to equip it because of its awkward name!

The joke here is mostly because the word for "slingshot" in Japanese is "pachinko", which is also used to refer to the popular pinball-like game!

There is also a butcher to the left...

This guy said that he doesn't want to eat an animal's meat because he thought it was ugly while it was alive... and to think that he said that about an animal which eats humans!

There's also one more guy here in the corner...

Shame about the people in the South Area... most of this planet is covered with oceans, but of all places that satellite had to fall on them!

Yeah, that's pretty bad, not to mention the radiation preventing anybody (us) from going down there...

Here is the tunnel leading west, on the other side of the town, an a person standing in front of it...

Tunnels lead from east and west side of the town, going to the northern lakes. In the winter lakes freeze over and are covered in snow. So even if there is a dead body there, it will remain hidden and the scenery will be beautiful!

Ah, sure, whatever you say...

The sign, by the way, indicates that a place named Koshikata is to the west. We've already heard about it... apparently the former mayor of this place is being held captive in Hospico because of some kind of an "incident" that happened there?

Let's now head into the dog shop...

One of the hunters is here...

It's not uncommon in these parts for it to be snowing in spring and autumn... Really the only time when you can be sure there won't be any snow is during the summer.

And the person at the counter...

I don't really like it, but seems that some people in my trade will even secretly let you register the wolves you catch as hunting dogs.

So, remember how we bought a hunting dog. In fact it's possible, when you catch wild dogs, to bring them to the dog shop and register them to be in your party! And so what this guy is saying that apparently there are some illegal shops which will even let you register wolves as "hunting dogs". Maybe that's something we'll try at some point. I wonder if there are still other kinds of animals you can add to your party...? But in order to try that, we would also have to find someone willing to do it first...

Next, we'll head into this building here:

It houses the inn, and also the bank! So if we talk to the guy at the reception desk...

You probably don't want to be camping on the frozen lake... because if spring comes over night, you might find yourself waking up in water!

So, a few things here... it was mentioned to us at the very beginning of the game that Ken will at level 4 learn the "Camp" ability, allowing him to camp anywhere on the overworld to restore his health--this ability is entirely free and basically eliminates any need to stay at an inn/hotel. And so I also mentioned that seasons will change only when the screen "reloads". Using the camping option counts as "reload" and may cause a season change if the time has come. Using the camp option on the overworld also provides access to some other functions, which we'll actually have a chance to see later today!

Talking to the woman standing next to the INN sign...

Do you sometimes feel like you want to cry because you don't know where to go or what to do?
[ Now that you mention it... ] / Not really...
But you didn't sign up as ark crew to be crying like that! Time will solve everything and you might even get a message from someone. So in the meantime, just keep on collecting animals.

I guess this just reinfoces the gameplay notion to simply get on with the collecting work when there is nothing better to do, until you get contacted by someone. We are definitely heading into a more plot-heavy section of this scenario, however, so we don't need to worry about this so much right now!

Anyway, let's stop by the bank too...

You're still young, so if you want to earn some extra cash, you could head over to Lina Valley. It's hard work, but rewards are good.

Yeah, people keep mentioning this... but there's just SO MANY THINGS to do in this game! I'm sure we'll get there eventually.

Since we are pretty loaded with money, I take the opportunity to pay off that loan we took out at the start of the game. It helped us out to get going, but now there's no reason to keep paying the interest when we don't have to! Let's also have a look at Ken's bank book:

Here we can see a few things... First of all, that "20" was the seasonal loan interest that was taken out from our account at the start of autumn. Second, the "600" figure is Ken's autumn salary. As you can see, when Ken's level goes up, his salary will also increase--makes sense. Finally the last "100" at the bottom is me showing that you can also deposit money into the bank if you want--although at present we don't really have any particular reason to do so.

Having done that, we'll exit through that door on the right.

This brings us in front of a farm-like thing. If we talk to the girl...

Hey, look! That one on the right is quite lively! I bet it would also taste the best!

Um, ok. But the more interesting conversation is to be had from the woman standing on the right.

Have you ever heard the legend of the "phantom animal"?
[ Nope, havent! ] / Yeah, I've heard of it..

I definitely want to hear this one!

That animal apparently only appears during heavy blizzards, when you can barely even see in front of you. But I've lived here for 20 years and I've never seen a blizzard that fierce. I'm sure it's something they must have invented just to attract more tourists in winter... it's the kind of thing they'd do!

Hmm. I'm not sure what think about this.

We can also go into the farm building...

Right by the entrance is an animal trader, and he has a good hint for us!

Just because an animal is not easy to see with the naked human eye doesn't mean that it's not there. They can look just like a rock or a tree, and also a rock or a tree can look like them!

A bit further inside is another person...

It's good that you guys can get to understand the animals better through fighting them. As a woman, on the other hand, prefer to gain the undersating by eating them. Hmm, I wonder which animal do I want to get to know better for lunch today?

Some of the dialogue in this game is genuinely funny! However, I know you didn't miss those stairs in the corner, leading into the basement, so lets check that out!

What even is this down here? Some kind of machine room? Anyway, there is a guy here to talk to.

My name is Bronco, and I'm the owner of this farm! When I was young I had a hard life, but now I'm one of the richest people on the planet, if you forive my bragging. I have everything I've ever wanted, and I've done everything I've ever wanted to do, so I don't mind about dying.

Does he mean that he's just going to stay on the planet, or what?

In any case, yes, that is definitely another chest in that room over there, and yes, that is also definitely another locked door that the chest sits behind. So nothing can done with that right now.

Looking around the room, yeah I guess it's some kind of machine/technical room for the farm upstairs. And that's where we'll return now.

Back upstairs, there is another person here...

The more animals you deposit, the more you get! BB Farm will help you build your fortune!

Luckily, there's an option here to ask him to explain.

First you have to bring one male and one female animal and pay the cost of keeping time. Then all you have to do is wait for the spring and will probably get to meet a lot of lovely youngsters. It's easier to make money that way than via lottery!

Animal breeders, it seems. Well, let's add this to our list of things to check out later. This is already a very long list, but worry not. Even though we seem to be pushed along by the plot for the most part, I promise you there will come a time when we'll really be able to explore this world in detail and try out anything and everything that this game offers!

Further to the left, we can see where some of the animals are kept... those are definitely rabbits in the first compartment, flying around. There is also a persom here!

Don't feel shy! When fighting animals, just go for the weakest first! I mean, that's what they'll do to you anyway.

This isn't quite true. Different animals have different ways of choosing whom they will attack, and believe it or not, this information is actually outlined in the game guide book I have!

All right, we're kind of done here for the moment, so let's head over to the entrance area of Battle Park.

One last guy to talk to, though.

There is a tunnel at L-11, leading back to the East Area. But hunters don't use it much.

Maybe they don't, but we will use it today!

Let's leave this place for now.

Upon exiting, I'm happy to realise that it hasn't been snowing, so that will make our life definitely easier!

Let's do some hunting!

Although, before we start, there's something I forgot last time. When we were fighting stonefish, I forgot to post a picture showing what they used to look like back in the PC Engine version:

I'm sure you'll agree with me that not posting this screenshot would have been entirely unforgivable, right?

Anyway, NOW let's see what we can find in these parts!

First of all...

...here we have some dolphins!

Other than slightly higher HP than what we're used to, there's still nothing special here.

But check out what they used to look like in the PC Engine version:

I'm just going to leave that there with no comment, all right?

Anyway, when you're around here, try to avoid these birds flying around... those are eagles, and they will mess up your day. In other words, we're not strong enough to take them on. I will catch a bunch more dolphins, because if nothing else, we can sell them.

So let's just be careful with that one.

As you can see on the screenshot above, one other animal we can find here are fleas.

What do you mean, you don't see it?

All right, here you go:

Well, I guess, it's not like we haven't been warned to be on the lookout for tiny flying dots!

Anyway, here they are in battle:

They do have one interesting ability, which is to split and multiply creating more enemies on the field. This can be a bit annoying, not because it's threatening, but because it also halves their HP making it VERY difficult not to over-damage them--and they have pretty low defense stat to begin with.

Another point to take from the screenshot above is that there can be quite a few enemies at once in a battle!

Let's keep moving.

Here's the next species on our list for today:

Otters!

Here we can already see a hint of complexity that will come into play for catching animals eventually. For example, otters become extinct over the course of time, and can no longer be found in the later parts of the game. So if you don't get them while you can, you never will!

Ugh, no, please eagles, not today! Unfortunately, they will chase you and it can end badly, like here!

Anyway, here's one other animal we can find here for now:

Some koalas!

All right, well, that's enough for this area for now. Let's go and find that tunnel leading back to the East Area!

Ah, there it is. After exiting the tunnel, by walking just a bit to the south...

...we reach again Hardia and the ark! But, before we go and hand in our animals, let's go and exact a bit of revenge first!

Down on the southern coast, we can easily find...

...dogs!

I mean, make no mistake, they're still pretty strong, and they will still mess up your day, but we can just barely deal with it now, unlike before! "Lick wound" is of course a healing ability, and it's actually pretty neat, because our own dogs also learn it as they level up. So you will sometimes just get a random heal in a battle from one of your dogs, completely free!

Let's head back to the ark and hand all of this in...

As we approach, Ken gets another one of those notifications that he has a new phone message. We'll check that later.

In the ark...

...today, we'll be handing in the following: dolphins, fleas, otters, koalas and dogs!

By handing in a dolphin, Ken learns their "ultrasonic wave" ability. Linda learns her first "dog" ability, which is again the aforementioned "lick wounds" heal thing. Apart from that, it's the usual tiny stat boosts for both.

Let's check the situation with the friendly robot...

Nice, we have collected 15 species so far, so I guess we're halfway there.

You know, I just realised there is another species we can easily catch while we're here, so let's just go and do it. It's a bit north from the ark.

Here we can find...

...some squids!

As you can see, they can cause the "pheromone" status effect. This is mostly important after battle when you're on the overworld as it, expectedly, causes most animal species to start chasing you. So you might want to avoid being afflicted by it.

As Ken is heading to the nearest phone to check the message, he receives a notification of another message! So, let's go and listen to both of them!

All right, so, first message:

Hello... This is Panheim, the head of development at Green Pharmaceuticals. I'm calling you because I received a direct request from Chairwoman Elizabeth. Can you write this down? There's a peninsula around area A-01, north of the abandonded village of Koshikata. The goats live in that area. Could you bring me some fresh goat meat? Uh, this is a trade secret, but goat meat is a key ingredient for Memorin Z. Please don't tell anyone.

It was mentioned before that if we carry meat for too long (usually longer than a season) it will spoil. Therefore we need to bring him goat meat before it spoils.

Second message:

Hello... This is Panheim from Green Pharmaceuticals. I forgot to tell you... if you fight goats in the snow, they will be very strong. Well, anyway, make sure to take care, will you?

Well, our task is clear. We need to go back north and find some goats (and hope that it doesn't snow). However, before we do that, I think it's about time to go and check on Linda! I'm sure you will agree with me. So, let's first go over to Hospico!

Going inside...

...before going upstairs to Linda's room, we can head over here to the right and find another person we know.

I should have applied for the crew of the ark too...
Ahaha, just kidding. Go quickly and visit Linda!

What even is this room she's in? Looks like some kind of control room with computers and stuff?

A few moments later in Linda's room...

...it looks like she might be doing a bit better?

It's a strange thing to thik about... the person you fell in love with was the other me, the one before I lost my memory.
But, Ken! It means that the other me must have been a very good judge of character!
...... 🎔
Visit me again, ok? I will be waiting for you! 🎔

Cute. But now, if we want her to get better, we have a task to perform!

Dr. Panheim mentioned that goats can be found around Koshikata (although he also mentioned something about the town being abandoned). So let's see if we can travel over there...

If we check the list of destinations of the Bird Line...

...Koshikata is definitely listed! So let's buy a ticket!

Sorry, but the line to Koshikata is temporarily not operational.

Ah. Well, I guess it probably has something to do with the "abandoned" thing. Ok then. The closest place to it we CAN travel to, is indeed none other than Battle Park, so let's go back there again!

After arriving in Battle Park, we'll head straight to the west side...

...where that tunnel leading outside is located.

At the other end of the tunnel, there seems to be some kind of an office! In fact it's the "Rent-A-Animal" service desk! Let's see.

Even in dangerous areas, if you ride one of our rental dolphins, you will be safe and comfortable, for only 200G. With a dolphin, you can even move fast through water and wetlands where it's difficult to walk!

Well, that explains why those dolphinse there appear to have saddles on them, at least. We can ask for a further explanation.

Number 1: To get on, stand next to the animal and press the O button. Number 2: If a season changes, the rental animal will return here on their own. Number 3: While riding, you cannot enter battles nor use the navigation device, or any other menus, sorry about that.

So number 2, at least, is simply because in different seasons you will get different animals to ride. Were it winter and snow, we would have gotten a polar bear instead of a dolphin! But otherwise this seems pretty much exactly what you'd expect it to be, more or less like riding a Chocobo in a Final Fantasy game. All right, let's rent ourselves a dolphin (even if we really don't need it since it's not snowy outside).

Here we go...

...hop on, and...

...off we go! As mentioned, this would be much more useful in the snow as it allows you to move at normal speed instead of being seriously slowed down.

Going past Koshikata (there in the corner)...

...we do indeed find some goats. (Of course, I had to hop off the dolphin to be able to fight them.)

Here. We. Go.

So this is a bit of a precarious situation (slightly), since there is a fair few of them, and they have relatively higher HP. Therefore, I decide this is the right time to try out turning Ken into a "beastman". So, if we select that option from the menu...

...we get a whole bunch of options to choose from, which animal we want to transform into (there's more if you scroll down), including, on top, the option to turn back into a human. Ken is a bit low level with his beast prowess, so for now he only turns into a "beast-boy", not yet a full "beast-man", that will come as he learns more abilities.

The number on the left shows how much BP will be consumed by the transformation, and on the right you can see what effect it will have on your stats (HP, attack, defense, speed). So here I have highlighted the "rat" option, which does decrease our attack by 21, but also brings our speed up by a whole 55! So I turn Ken into a rat-boy, which is even reflected on the battle screen:

...and now we can proceed with this battle as normal. Our increased speed almost gets us to a point where the enemies are basically not getting many turns... but when they do get a turn, they decide to use the "call reinforcements of another species" ability, and, well... a whole bunch of weasels show up too!

Luckily, we were pretty much already finished with the goats by this point, so we finish this easily.

So we got weasels summoned here by the goats, but normally you would have to find them yourself. As mentioned above, and as we were told previously at some point, you can't really see weasels on the overworld, because they masquerade as trees. So what you have to do is walk around in wooded areas...

...like here, where there's plenty of them, and they will eventually pop out.

Regarding the beast transformations, there is also one good one which you may want to use: if you transform into a dolphin, your HP and defense go down slightly, but your attack power is increased by 51! Here is what Ken looks like on the battle screen as a "dolphin-boy":

But anyway, now that we have a goat, we should finally head over to Eterna!

Here we are... but there's one problem. We have a goat, but we've been asked to bring goat meat! Luckily, as he's been leveling up, Ken has also learned an ability to process animals into meat.

He can use it by activating the "camp" option...

...like so. This allows us to choose what each party member should do while they camp out. Default selected option is to simply sleep, but here we can choose for Ken to process the meat. We can then pick a goat and the end result will be that we have processed one of our goats into goat meat that we can give to Panheim.

Also, as we wake up the next morning... turns out, winter has come!

Seven years and two seasons left, 15 species still left to hand in!

Also, there was some snowfall over night it seems! Well, no matter, we'll head into Eterna...

...straight into the mansion! Let's go talk to Elizabeth.

[ Ask about Christmas ] / Ask about Santa Claus / Ask about Panheim.

Turns out, we can find out a bit more about the whole Christmas deal, so let's do that before we get to the topic of Panheim!

My family has loved Christmas for generations. That's why it's Christmas here all year round! The company uniform for our employees is a Santa Claus suit! Is it not wonderful?
Ask about Christmas / [ Ask about Santa Claus ] / Ask about Panheim.
Even now, I still believe that Santa Claus really exists! Because he always gives me the best presents. I hope you also receive a nice gift from him!

Well, enough chit-chat.

Ask about Christmas / Ask about Santa Claus / [ Ask about Panheim. ]

Looks like you already brough the meat? As expected, you work fast!

Ken hands over the goat meat to Dr. Panheim

I will contact you as soon as the medicine is ready. Well, it's quite a simple formula, so by the time you visit Linda one more time and come back here, it should be ready.
By the way, Chairwoman Elizabeth seems to like you a lot. May I ask what kinds of tricks did yo use? I wonder if you could tell me, you know, to return the favour of me making the medicine for you?
Is it because of "that"? You know, because you are so young and strong?
[ Of course it is! ] / Is it?
Ah... You're so young, I envy you...

Before you ask, there's no variation in dialogue here no matter which option you pick!

Anyway, I think we're ready to be on our way here...

So we might be a bit busy preparing for it and I might not be able to meet you. But feel free to come over anyway!

We're done talking to them, but before we leave let's have a snoop around the house a bit more!

On the same floor, in the southeast corner there is a staircase leading down.

Hm, let's keep going down. There seems to be quite a lot going on here under the mansion, huh?

Now if we head down that hallway to the right... it's a bit of a long hallway, but eventually...

Oh, hey! Two chests which are, for once, actualy NOT behind a locked door!

The first one contains "sheep sweater" a clothing item, and the other one contains a weapon: "jellyfish needle".

So, here's where Ken is now with his stats:

Let's check out the new gear.

First, the jellyfish needle brings his attack power from 169 to 175, so a small upgrade, but either way no reason to not do it.

The sheep sweater brings his defense up from 134 to 157 and increases a whole bunch of resistances, so even if it does lower physical and fire resist by 1 point, it's still pretty good. Overall, it's been worth coming down here. So, let's return to that spot where we came down on the stairs...

We can use the stairs in the top corner to head further down...

Errr... Well, that door where Ken is standing is very definitely locked, but, uh, why does it look like there are people here who are imprisoned and are being watched over by dogs?

What even is this situation?

But, well, the door is locked, so all we can do is go back the way we came.

Finally, there's a convenient shortcut here--if we climb that ladder there...

...it deposits us directly outside, next to the mansion! Let's head out of here for now, then.

Well, that's it for today. We'll see what happens next, but at least we seem to be getting closer to having the medication for Linda!

In addition to that, I'll try to remember to talk a bit next time about all the abilities that Ken has learned over the course of the game and what they do, since I've been neglecting it a bit.

Also, I just wanted to warn you that next time things are going to get a bit weird plot-wise, so be prepared for that.

As for our regular art section, today we have two illustrations from the PC Engine era. First of all, a pretty cool one of Elizabeth and Panheim...

...and then another silly one of Linda:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

ivantod posted:

Also, I just wanted to warn you that next time things are going to get a bit weird plot-wise, so be prepared for that.[/i]

Weird? This game? Nah, there's no way. I don't believe you, OP.

Also, fleas. Of all the creatures to bring on an ark, you're intentionally bringing fleas with you too? I guess Neo-Kenyan flea burgers are a delicacy or something, and that warrants bringing them.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ivantod posted:

The joke here is mostly because the word for "slingshot" in Japanese is "pachinko", which is also used to refer to the popular pinball-like game!
And "chinko" means "dick"!

This is an amazing game. I always look forward to new updates. Keep up the great work!

e: Also, the "animals" are all pretty drat grotesque. Um, nice job, artists? :gonk:

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 10, 2021

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the game's structure so far. On one hand, stuff like "Come back at level 5" and "It should be ready by the time you go visit Linda again" is refreshingly transparent, but on the other the "Go level up while we devise a treatment plan for Linda/Go level up while you wait for my employee to call you/Go visit Linda again while I get the medicine ready" story beats are a little weak given how otherwise intriguing the setting is. Though I guess that's fixing to change.

It's otherwise a really interesting game and I'm glad you're taking the time to do this.

Odd Wilson posted:

Also, fleas. Of all the creatures to bring on an ark, you're intentionally bringing fleas with you too? I guess Neo-Kenyan flea burgers are a delicacy or something, and that warrants bringing them.

Honestly from how most of the animals in this game look perhaps we should just set the ark on fire.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the game's structure so far. On one hand, stuff like "Come back at level 5" and "It should be ready by the time you go visit Linda again" is refreshingly transparent, but on the other the "Go level up while we devise a treatment plan for Linda/Go level up while you wait for my employee to call you/Go visit Linda again while I get the medicine ready" story beats are a little weak given how otherwise intriguing the setting is. Though I guess that's fixing to change.

To be honest, this is one thing that people do sometimes point out as a bit of a flaw in this game, so it's not just you. But I think it's also not such an easy task to fit together a timed task you have to accomplish (collecting animals), but also to have somehow a plot which progresses in parallel as you do it, and then also to allow you to explore the world in parallel with both of those things. I could say more about this, but it would go somewhat into the spoiler territory, so I'll refrain for now. :v:

TurnipFritter posted:

Honestly from how most of the animals in this game look perhaps we should just set the ark on fire.

Hirayuki posted:

e: Also, the "animals" are all pretty drat grotesque. Um, nice job, artists? :gonk:
Ha ha, yeah I think the animal designs are just absolutely amazing, they really invested some effort here! And we haven't even seen yet many of the best ones (I mean we've only seen about 15 species so far, and there is a full 120 in the entire game, so plenty more fun to be had on that topic!). Really, the whole game gives out kind of a "labour of love" impression--as you can see by now, there's so many different things that you can do in it, and they really implemented everything properly, nothing is half-assed! I mean they implemented a whole banking system with loans and stuff, and that's just the start. There are still several systems/mechanics in the game that we haven't even come across yet! Discovering all of that is certainly one of the pleasures of this game.

(Also thank you both for kind words! I try to give this game the kind of presentation it deserves--it's truly a shame it was never released outside of Japan.)

ivantod fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 10, 2021

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Case in point: why do the weasels have tits?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I love the atmosphere/vibe this game has going for it, but I probably would hate playing it for myself. So thank you for showing it off like this.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Case in point: why do the weasels have tits?

Because they're mammals, silly.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ivantod posted:

I'm sure you'll agree with me that not posting this screenshot would have been entirely unforgivable, right?

yes, I agree

also what a whirlwind of "hey here's a bunch of hints about things you ... uh, basically can't do yet since you're still on the early game plot railroad"

that and the guy who's trying to sell you on blizzards by saying 'hey at least the bodies stay hidden' which uhhhhhhhhh

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 10, 2021

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I think the goats are kind of cute.

But I'm ready for things to go full weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

what you're telling me you guys don't have people pens in your basements?