Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Do you gain stats by leveling up too or only from passing in animals and equipping better gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Do you gain stats by leveling up too or only from passing in animals and equipping better gear?

Yes you do gain stats also from regular leveling up.

This is how it works. In battles you earn experience. When you earn enough experience, you level up. This level up causes you to gain stats and also sometimes you learn new abilities. These are considered "human" abilities (like "Camp" or "Process Meat" that we already saw) and they are free to use (don't cost BP).

When handing in animals you gain (smaller) stat gains and you also may learn an ability sometimes. These are considered the "beast" abilities (mostly stuff like various attack or heal abilities) and they cost BP to use.

As we saw, also certain equipment may have a positive or negative effect on various stats.

Hope this clears it up, but if not ask. :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The animal designs very effectively communicate how the familiar names like "pig" or "rabbit" are just approximations for aliens that kinda-sorta resemble their namesakes.

SuperPepote
Aug 18, 2015
I never knew about this game and I am really liking the lp so far.

Phantasy Star IV is one of my favorite games and I though this have some ressemblance to it at the beginning. It seems to be a little weirder, but in a cool way.

Hope you continue showing what it has in store

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Hello everyone, and welcome back to Linda³! Last time, Ken continued on his task to get the amnesia medication for Linda, so with that in mind, he delivered some goat meat to Panheim, because apparently goat meat is one of the key ingredients. We also did a whole more bunch of animal collecting, so we are well under way towards our goal of at least 30 species.

So, as we start this part, we find Ken just about to leave Eterna, after having finished his meeting with Elizabeth and Dr. Panheim.

Outside, at this northern latitude, everything is white and frozen now that the winter has come. This is annoying, because it slows down Ken's movement.

However, it does open up the possibility to catch some animals who feel right at home in such a climate!

You guessed it, penguins!

They don't really have anything super unusual, other than the (somewhat expected) ability to do various ice-based attacks. Mostly I handle them by transforming into a dolphin for highly increased attack. But, I must say, I love their colours, looks great.

However, in the PC Engine version, they looked... different:

Um. Yeah. Anyway.

Even in the snow, I manage to find that tunnel which leads into Battle Park.

As we go through the tunnel, Ken gets another message notification.

Incidentally, we're not staying in Battle Park this time. So we'll simply take the southern exit which takes us out of the snowy areas! We'll check the message shortly, but before that, a couple more species to capture around here that we didn't do last time!

The next on our list...

Well, horses, of course!

Even though they have relatively high HP and attack, they will try to run away from you on the overworld, so best is to try and corner them against a mountain or something like that.

Finally, you might remember that this was the area where eagles live.

Last time we avoided them, but we have a couple more levels since then, so why not, right?

So this thing about a "powerful sword", probably warrants a bit of a comment. We'll certainly look at that in the future, but there's one other thing. This weapon (eagle sword) is among those which allow Ken to attack all enemies in front of him at once, with a single attack. Obviously this is very beneficial in battle, but our current weapon doesn't have that ability, so we may want to upgrade to the eagle sword soon. Although I didn't mention it at a time, we had previously used one other weapon that could do this--the swallow cutter, so that helped us quite a bit in the early part of the game to capture the animals quickly and avoid taking damage.

Eventually, we make our way over to that tunnel which leads to the ark. On the way I have to fight several batches of fleas, because you can barely even see them on the screen!

After exiting the tunnel, first let's stop in a nearby town of Ozport just to listen to the message...

Hey, it's Mum! I've just come back from visiting Linda! She's doing so much better, going on walks on her own, smiling a lot and eating well! Oh, right, she said she has something important to tell you!

Well, that's good to hear. Although I guess her memories are still not back... Anyway, let's go and see her in Hospico. For travelling between towns like this, generally I use the Bird Line. It does consume money, but we have a decent amount, and also it counts as being in town so it doesn't use up any time on the game's seasonal clock!

Over in Hospico, let's head straight to Linda's room.

Hm, what's up?

Thefore... Um...
Suppose that...
Suppose that... I stay like this, and my memory doesn't come back...
I... still want to board the ark with you! Would you take me with you?
[ Sure thing! ]/ No way!
Oh, thank you! I promise, I will not be resentful even if I don't get my memory back! Thank you so much!
Let's go out on a date to celebrate once I leave the hospital!

Well, it's nice to see that she's recovering, despite the whole memory loss issue.

Before we leave, the nurse here has another fun tidbit for us.

Hospital director told me that Linda was born in that same room next to the neo-natal unit. Linda's father was so excited that he couldn't stop crying, the director still remembers it today!

Cute.

We're finished here for now, so let's leave. On the way, I stop by the pharmacy to buy some HP recovery tables, because we may need them later today.

We'll head over to that east-west tunnel between Hospico and Hardia, but on the way...

...we get another message notification. Perhaps it's Panheim, telling us that the medication is ready?

Exiting the tunnel...

...we arrive at the ark, to hand in the animals from our backpack.

This time, we'll be handing in: squids, goats, weasels, penguins, horses and eagles! From squids, Ken learns the "black curtain" ability which allows him to hit all enemies in front of him with "black ink" and reduce their hit accuracy. From weasels, Ken learns the "smelly fart" ability which releases smelly gas, reducing attack power of all enemies in front of him. From eagles, Ken learns the "gale cutter" ability, a strong attack against all enemies in front of him. As for Linda, from penguins, she learns the "snowscape" ability, which allows her in battle to transform the terrain block in front of her into a snow field (thus affecting the stats of animals for whom that may not be the native terrain type). Other than that, the usual bunch of small stat increases for both.

Checking with the friendly robot, we're now at 21 out of 30 species done. So that's going pretty well, but also we'll soon be taking a bit of a break from hunting, too. Nevertheless, it hasn't even been a year and we're already 2/3 done, so that looks good for finishing the task before the meteorite impact. However, it is also true that so far we have only been collecting the species which can be easily found on the overworld so that also needs to be kept in mind for the future.

In any case, that shack next to the ark actually has a phone inside, so let's listen to our message. As expected, it is Panhem.

Hello... this is Panheim from Green Pharmaceuticals. The medicine we talked about is ready. I would appreciate if you make sure you have two free slots in your item bag. Well then, I'll be waiting for you.

It's nice of game to warn us about needing to have two empty slots in our inventory, but we actually have plenty of space still, so that's not an issue. Although I wonder, why two slots and not just one.

In any case, we don't really have any other pressing business, so let's head back to Eterna once again via the Bird Line !

As we enter the town, we are intercepted by that Santa we saw at the very beginning of the game!

Looks like you still havent! Well, here's a hint: "the back garden". So I'm going to head there now and prepare everything for a party with Linda.
It's going to be so much fun tonight! Merry Christmas!

Hmm, that's true, he did mention this before about room 102, but Linda was definitely not there (wherever it is) since she was in her hospital room all this time! However, like a typical Star Wars character, at this point, I am definitely having a bad feeling about this situation, so it may not be the worst idea in the world to go back to Hospico and check up on Linda!

But first, let's just go and get what we came here for, and then we'll head to Hospico.

Into the mansion it is and to Elizabeth's room.

Ask about Christmas / Ask about Santa Claus / [ Ask about Panheim. ]

You summoned me, Madam Elizabeth?
Oh, it's you...
Ugh, you had to show up just at the moment when...
The trials for the new technology are going well, so I have been in great shape! I hope it will be the same for Linda too!
Anyway, let me give you the memory recovery accellerant drug, "Memorin Z".

Ken receives "Memorin Z" from Dr. Panheim.

I assure you that it does work, but it will take some time. So don't be hasty.
By the way, Ken. I have another thing that I wanted to give you.

Ken receives "Hollagin C" from Dr. Panheim.

Hehehe, it's "that" kind of medicine, so try it when you feel like. It definitely was effective on dogs, at least!

That's nice. So we get some random medication from him that we don't even know what it does! What could possibly go wrong! Actually, nothing much. As mysterious as this sounds, it's simply an item which can be used in battle. It causes the person who uses it to get random stat increases for the duration of the battle. There's a bunch of these kinds of medications in the game, so it's not anything plot related to worry about.

Since we're done here, let's now continue with our idea to go to Hospico. Maybe Linda can even start the treatment?

After arriving in Hospico, we head into the reception building. It looks like there's some weird stuff going on, so perhaps we should gather some info first before going to Linda's room.

For example, this person working on the reception desk...

Hello! Miss Linda's recovery is going well, it must be because you've been coming to visit her so often! Also children like to see you dressed up as a Santa Claus--I'm sure you will be a wonderful dad in the future.

Um, dressed up as Santa? No, that definitely wasn't us. What is going on?

Or, this little girl over here...

As a friend, I should tell you that that Santa costume doesn't fit you very well!

Is... is there a rogue Santa going around pretending to be Ken? But why?

This all very odd, but let's also check with this guy sitting here in the waiting area.

Nurse Sachiko is the flower of this hospital and the most popular with the patients! In order to be able to see her I have started doing all things which are bad for you: drinking, smoking, eating too much! Well, I guess you're also popular lately too, especially among the kids. The kids like Santa Claus I guess.

Ok, there's definitely a Santa going around pretending to be Ken. Maybe it's our weird friend whom we just saw in Eterna? But, again, why?

I think we don't need to waste any more time, so let's head over to Linda's room!

Oh. She's not here. But there is a nurse here we can talk to...

Linda and the hospital director went for a walk in the back garden... But... Weren't you with them?

What. is. going. on. Also she said "back garden"!

All right, we know our next destiation. But, me being me, of course I'm going to stop on the way for another small bit of lore with this nurse here:

There are more doctors than patients pretty much in this hospital nowadays, but back in the heyday of "Vigour II" it was crazy. We didn't have enough beds and many patients were just lying around in hallways without even any mats.

Ah, the performance enhancement drug we've heard of before which the hunters were abusing. The pharmacist previously told us about this happening about 10 years ago or so? Ok, anyway, just wanted to pick up that little bit of dialogue and now on our way to the back garden.

Around the side of the hospital building...

Here we are... and there's also that shed where we were told that it maybe has a big underground complex below it and where supposedly the former mayor of Koshikata is being kept imprisoned. Why is the hospital director standing here, of all places? Let's try to talk to him and find out?

Oh, it's you, Ken. It's me, Chen, the hospital director. Linda is here in room 102. Just hand me "Memorin Z" before you go to see her, ok?

Ken hands over "Memorin Z" to the hospital director.

But then, suddenly...

Oh right, I was supposed to make sure that rangers are alerted! I have to hurry! Byeeeeeeee...

And he... just runs off! Taking our medication with him too! Also, is it just me or did he not seem quite right? Also also, he mentioned again room 102!

Well, the only option we have at this point, is to go through the door. So I guess let's do that.

At least it seems that there really is stuff underground below this small building... down the stairs it is.

Doesn't seem there's much cleaning/maitenance going on here. The whole place is dirty with rubbish lying everywhere.

And then we reach some cells? Well, that's definitely Linda there in the second one, but what's with all the blood?

Believe it or not, after quite some time, the moment has finally come for another cutscene, which will provide the details!

Ah, um, well, sure, why not. It's not like there isn't already about a million moving parts in what's been going on in this game, why not add more! But, hey, at least we now have some idea who that weird Santa was, right? Although Linda doesn't seem to be at all well, so that's not so good.

Before we go on, I thought it might be interesting here to see what this scene used to look like in the PC Engine version, so here it is. I do have to apologise here a bit, because I had to transcribe this purely by ear without any kind of subtitles or written transcript and so there were a couple of small bits where I wasn't able to make out exactly what was being said--but we're really talking just a couple of words in two places, so hopefully it should not be a problem, but I just thought I should mention it anyway. All right, now to the "original" version of the cutscene!

This is actually a bit weird, honestly. First of all, the dialogue is almost the same as in the remake, but not quite. This means they actually went to the trouble to record it again even though the changes are mostly minor at least in content. But it has to be said that Nek definitely feels less "jokey" in this version, at least to me. Other than that, I just though it's a bit funny how it reverts back to the standard in-game graphics for the last couple of lines. Why couldn't they animate those too?

Anyway, let me know if you would like to see more of these "original" versions of cutscenes in the future and I'll see what I can do if there is interest.

Also, massive props to whoever decided to name this character "Nek".

Ok, let's continue.

So it seems Nek has escaped through that hole in the north wall of the cell...

In the meantime, other rangers arrive:

Linda! Drop the knife! You're being arrested for having been caught in the act of committing murder!
No! You're wrong! It wasn't Linda!

A short time later, in commander Ben's office...

Ken explains to the commander what actually happened in Hospico.

So the real culprit is your twin brother? That's tough... But it should be easy to prove if we can catch this Nek guy.

The phone rings, Ben goes to pick up...

Hanging up, he turns back to Ken...

Ken! We've got a big problem. Please listen to me and stay calm! Linda has disappeared from Hospico! Two of our guards were stabbed in the chest, they both died instantly! Now, we're not really sure who's the culprit, but Linda is a suspect.
If you come across any new information or have an idea what's going on, please come and talk to me!

I think situation has escalated a bit since the time Ken was hunting penguins...

But we are finished here, and before we leave we can have a word with commander's secretary.

I've heard everything... It's really bad... but you have to be tough, Ken!

Ok, let's go. On our way out, downstairs, there was this lady:

If you recall, she can also save our game, but she mentioned we should come and visit for a chat every once in a while. So let's check what she has to say...

Hey, I heard a rumour... Emily, the commander's secretary, is already on her sixth boyfriend this year! That's right, and they have all been younger than her! Well, it's just a rumour...

Um, ok... not sure this is really relevant to anything.

Across from her, is the bank counter.

Here, first let's check out Ken's bank book as always...

So here we can see, that not only has Ken's salary gone up to 900 G as he is leveling up, but also that in Winter he gets an additional bonus payment in the form of an extra salary amount! So that's pretty nice. In any case, we really aren't hurting for money at the moment. Especially since this time I do remember to withdraw all the money that's been sitting here.

Also, since we are already in Hardia, it might be worth it to see what Ken's mum has to say about the whole twin brother situation. Because Ken surely didn't seem to know anything about it until just now! Let's head over to Ken's house!

You're the only child me and your father adopted since we came to this house!
Anyhow I'd rather be fighting a dragon than to have to deal with two sons as silly as you.

Ok, so this might be a weird place to mention this, but bear with me. In this game whenever an animal name is mentioned, be it in dialogues or somewhere in the equipement menu or wherever, it is ALWAYS shown in a particular colour, depending on whether you have already caught it or not, and if yes, whether you already have it handed over in the ark. For example, the animal names you have in your backpack but have not handed in are printed in yellow, and those you have handed in are printed in white. The species which you have not yet caught have their names printed in red colour.

Maybe you already are guessing where I'm going with this explanation.

The word "dragon" in the above dialogue is shown in red colour. Somehow, somewhere in this game there are dragons to be found. Just think about that for a second.

But, this concludes our business here in Hardia for the moment, so I thought, for the rest of today's episode we might try something a bit different.

Namely, since we have a bit of time before the plot catches up with us, why not go exploring a little bit? I mean, I said we will have A LOT of time for that eventually, but it doesn't hurt to get a bit of a taste, right? And it will also allow us to catch a couple more animal species, so it won't be a total waste.

I'm glad you agree. Let's go. (Oh yeah, I sold a bunch of extra animals from my backpack before heading out.)

First, we'll head over to where Hospico is, and then walk south east from there.

After looking around for a bit, we find what looks like a cave entrance in the side of the mountain there.

We can definitely head inside into what at first glance looks like some sort of an archaeological dig...

Walking a bit further in, we find some people and tents, confirming our notion that there is some archaeology going on here. Let's talk to the person.

Inside the ruins, you'll find some stone blocks that you can move. But don't do that, because there's a whole bunch of creepy-crawlies living underneath!

I mean, how bad can it be? We already fought three-eyed squirrels and flying rabbits.

If we go into the left tent:

There's a guy here... I love the detail of having a sleeping bag inside the tent!

There are a lot of people who say they saw a purple lion inside here, like in a daze....

A purple lion, you say? Interesting. Well, let's be on the lookout for that.

The person in the other tent...

The stones have their proper place to be in, so don't try moving them on your own.

That's it for the people present here. It's time to explore a bit.

In case it's not already clear, this is one of the "dungeons" in this game. But it's a bit different perhaps than what you're used to. There's usually not going to be a dungeon-end boss as such or anything like that, it's really more about exploring and uncovering this planet's secrets. Before we go further, I should probably mention that as far as time passage goes, it does indeed pass while you're in a dungeon, but only at a ¼ the normal rate, to give you a bit of time to explore without feeling rushed.

This dungeon, as the game helpfully informs us with a location title, is called "Marblepolis" and I am only sure of two things right now: (1) We should definitely be on the lookout for a "purple lion", whatever it is; and (2) We definitely need to try moving the stones! I mean everybody is so adamant that we shoudln't, so of course that means...

Near the tents is this staircase leading down, which I guess we'll take.

It leads to a dimly lit hallway.

At the end of the hallway is this weird passage, somehow conveniently blocked by a stone. Well, I guess we have no choice but to move it!

There is no surprise here. Moving the stone triggers an enemy encounter!

Well, I guess those are the creepy-crawlies the lady mentioned. Or, to be more precise, a bunch of earthworms.

So they have this unusual ability where females can transform into males and regain full health, but more interestingly, our dogs are quite afraid of them and may retreat from battle leaving you to fend for yourself. Luckly, there's no lasting consequence to the retreat, and they will be right back in their spots in the very next battle. But just something to keep in mind, together with the fact that the earthworms will often appear in large groups, so you do need to be careful.

On the other hand, it will also cause you to gain a few levels while here, but as we already discussed a couple of times, try not to go overboard with that.

After defeating these guys, we can go through the passage...

...we enter some weird open area with pillars and more of those moveable stones.

Before we go on with our exploration, though, there is another species of animal we can catch here...

...although they are very hard to catch, even if you use the dash function (which, reminder, depletes your HP!).

But, eventually I do manage to corner one group...

...and it turns out it's a bunch of chickens!

So these two species are an example of a species which cannot be found on the overworld. You actually have to come down here to capture them. But this is still easy as you simply have to go to the right place and pretty much nothing else--we will encounter much later some species where there are very special ways of finding them and/or catching them.

For now, though, just be careful of really strong fire attacks these chickens will unleash on you!

Now that we have captured earthworms and chickens, let's finish our exploration of Marblepolis.

If you look around this big hall, you will find in the center a big staircase going up. Let's take it.

It leads over a couple of floors upwards...

...until we get this unusual little room.

There are many questions here. What is the meaning of that symbol on the back wall? What is that thing next to the left wall? Stepping on it does nothing at all. Concluding that we are probably missing some information and/or items, the only thing we can do is go back down to the main hall, unfortunately.

But, as mentioned, there are other moveable stones around here. And if we play with them long enough (all the while fighting the earthworms), eventually we'll cause something to happen.

A previously hidden staircase leading downwards will reveal itself! Obviously we need to take it!

It leads to an even weirder looking room where seemingly the only thing we can do is go further down!

Oh, yeah, and there's again this weird symbol on the wall. But anyway, let's head down.

And further down...

And even further...

Finally, we get to this place. A few more of those weird pillars or whatever they are, and what looks like four animal statues. I can't help but notice that the bottom right statue very definitely looks like a lion. The blue thing in the middle pretty much calls to us to step on it...

And when we do, we're instantly teleported... somewhere. Well, there's only one way to go, which is forward (well, there's also the teleporter, but we don't want to go back yet, of course!).

Walking through that narrow hallway...

...brings us to this very interesting room!

What is even going on here? Those pods look exactly the same as the ones our captured animals are stored in on the ark, no question about that. Also, are those like weird animal parts against the north wall?

Let's try to interact with one of the pods, they seem to have some kind of panel on them.

Well, whatever it is, we have nothing to put into the slot. I will say though that the animal in this pod definitely again looks like a lion, in fact it looks the same as that statue earlier, pretty much. By extrapolating, it can be plausibly said that the animal in the pod on the right side of the room looks very much like a lioness, which would indeed make sense. Either way, it doesn't appear we are able to do anything here right now.

However, before we go, if we stand right next to the left wall...

...we can see that to the left, there is what appears to be a room identical to the one we're in.

And the same thing on the right. But that must mean, there are other teleporters somewhere. And does that mean there are four such rooms, one corresponding to each statue at the teleporter location?

Well, for sure I have absolutely no idea. We will simply have to come back here later when we are better equipped to understand all of this. This is not going to be soon, though. Despite how it may look (maybe), this is NOT a small game.

For now, we'll head back to the surface. While Ken is climbing all those stairs, let me quickly show you where he is regarding his stats at the moment:

And well here we are back outside! Let's finish up by heading back to the ark to hand in the two new species we collected.

This time we only have earhtworms and chickens. But check out how many earthworms I have (23 and 20) from all those stones in the dungeon! As for abilities, this time Linda learns "fire carpet" from the chickens. This ability "covers the floor with fire", causing continuous fire damage to the enemies, so I guess something like poison, except with fire!

Since we've bean talking about those pods, where animals are kept, as a reminder, after you hand them in in the ark, you can have a look what they look like "in storage":

As you can see, these pods are very similar to the ones we saw after going through the teleporter.

Finally, as always, we'll check in with the friendly robot...

...who informs us that we have collected 23 species out of 30 that we need. Not too bad.

Well, I don't know about you, but I think this is a good moment to stop for today, since Ken has had quite an eventful day and needs a bit of rest for sure. He'll also need some time to ponder all the unusual things that happened today.

Next time on Linda³: Moar party members!

Today a couple of illustrations related to the events with Nek!

ivantod fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 16, 2021

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, that was certainly unexpected.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I guess underground prison dungeons are very "in" on this planet.

Also hey when can we use our own murdereagle as a party member?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I have to admit, that cut scene definitely surprised me. I like how the boss completely believe Ken's tale of his Santa cosplaying murderous twin brother. Did we already know Ken was adopted?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
If Ken's father was the one who decided to designate one twin as the evil bizarro one at birth, I'm gonna say he deserved what he got.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Hypocrisy posted:

I have to admit, that cut scene definitely surprised me. I like how the boss completely believe Ken's tale of his Santa cosplaying murderous twin brother. Did we already know Ken was adopted?

Well, we know Santa suits are from that one company, and LOOK at this giant planet! This probably isn't the most ridiculous thing that's happened around here.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I was not expecting the Nek revelation, that's for sure.

If our boss believes us so readily, he's either got a lot trust in us or you have to wonder what stuff he's seen to make this so readily believable.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I am beginning to feel like this might not be a totally ordinary JRPG after all. :ohdear:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Odd Wilson posted:

I was not expecting the Nek revelation, that's for sure.

If our boss believes us so readily, he's either got a lot trust in us or you have to wonder what stuff he's seen to make this so readily believable.

I mean, truth is stranger than fiction - it's so bizarre it has to be true.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I've been getting an increasingly strong Xenogears vibe from this game, but it only became really "audible" for me this update.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

TeeQueue posted:

I am beginning to feel like this might not be a totally ordinary JRPG after all. :ohdear:

I don't see what you mean, an evil sibling is a huge plot point in so many games.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

TeeQueue posted:

Next you're going to tell me whatever deity or whatever that sent us this ark isn't actually good?

basically I'm 100% suspicious of everyone and so far it's working out

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well, it's been pretty much admitted we're gathering this stuff for the sake of the company's interests, more so than for people. They want to keep the money train rolling.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Hypocrisy posted:

Did we already know Ken was adopted?
Well I don't think it was really said super-directly, but a couple of NPCs at the very beginning of the game kind of implied it.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Also hey when can we use our own murdereagle as a party member?
As mentioned in the description, we need to first learn a skill to be able to do so. I believe the skill is actually learned by Linda at some point as she levels up... so it might be a while before we get to try that out.

ivantod fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 17, 2021

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Incredible that this is going from a Pokemon-via-OG-Phantasy Star-Tetralogy to a proto-Phoenix Wright.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

this feels like one of those soap opera twists about a secret evil twin brother, but its a jrpg?? :eyepop: (though thinking on it, 'secret evil twin' is pretty common...) its nice the boss was pretty chill about it, at least

also :rip: kens (other) dad

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Booky posted:

also :rip: kens (other) dad
ken's dad, daD

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Psion posted:

Next you're going to tell me whatever deity or whatever that sent us this ark isn't actually good?

Well, it seems like this isn't the first ark they've sent and they've apparently populated one planet before. So at least they seem to be on the up and up when it comes to saving species.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hypocrisy posted:

Eh, the room in question had a giant hole in the back wall, presumably leading outside, so its not unbelievable.

Also... the gently caress are up with those PC-Engine Penguins? That's some "At the Mountains of Madness" tier stuff there.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

they remind of SMT's Arioch.

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat
This game really reminds me of SMT1. I would probably believe it was a spin-off if there was dungeon crawling in it.

I'm starting to think Linde my not actually join our party, given all the fake-outs. Maybe nurse lady is the actual party member?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Y'know, I was gonna make a joke about wondering what Ken's twin brother was doing cosplaying as Santa after the first time we saw him but thought it was too stupid but the game sure showed me...

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012

Psion posted:

What a preposterous idea, there's nothing weird about the ark or its menacing digestive-tract-looking species collection room!

Now I'm curious whether this room had the same creepy flesh/baleen plate vibe in the PC Engine version.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

purplestuffedworm posted:

Now I'm curious whether this room had the same creepy flesh/baleen plate vibe in the PC Engine version.

It was actually more creepy looking originally in the PC Engine version...

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Oh, that's ominous. :ohdear:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Trust the meat boat.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Now, see, I'm of two minds about that. On the one hand, if the ark is a living creature, and needs people to pilot it, then it makes sense to trust it. After all, it wants to live too. On the other hand, the original version makes it look like the walls are muscles, while the new one... that's a stomach. Definitely makes me think you're just collecting food for the space beast.

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012

ivantod posted:

It was actually more creepy looking originally in the PC Engine version...

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity, that sure is... unpleasant.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Creepy stomach boat is pretty incredible for us as viewers but probably bad for our protagonist, yeah.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Trust the meat boat.

actually I think I like 'creepy meat boat' better, you're on to something here

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 19, 2021

peachsynapse
Dec 22, 2007

The sea monsters appreciate your good taste.
I am one hundred percent here for those PC Engine graphics, both ark-wise and enemy-wise. Those penguins... amazing!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

peachsynapse posted:

I am one hundred percent here for those PC Engine graphics, both ark-wise and enemy-wise. Those penguins... amazing!

It is definitely my intention to keep showing bits and pieces from the original PC Engine version whenever I can! :v:

Also, if there's something specific that somebody wants to see, then just let me know and I'll see what I can do!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ivantod posted:

It is definitely my intention to keep showing bits and pieces from the original PC Engine version whenever I can! :v:

Also, if there's something specific that somebody wants to see, then just let me know and I'll see what I can do!

Nothing specific, I just want to keep seeing the really messed up designs of the PC Engine version and compare them to the significantly more cute ones in this version. It's neat to see just how hard the art direction changed between remakes.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Last time, Ken had an unpleasant experience of meeting an individual claiming to be his twin brother, Nek. Nek also claimed to have killed their "real" father, whatever that means. The whole thing happened in the "special observation cell" which we've heard before is supposed to be housing the mayor of Koshikata, who was imprisoned there some years back after an "incident". Nek in addition, seems to have managed to frame Linda for the whole thing (and who is still missing her memories, btw). However, it seems that later on she actually managed to escape from custody and a couple of her guards were found dead. After that, Ken went exploring a bit in a cave housing an archaeological dig and there we found some weird pods, looking very similar to the ones we have seen on the ark.

When we left off, Ken had just finished handing in some animal species at the ark. But I think we should head back to Hospico now, to try and find out more about the whole situation from the last time!

I don't feel like using the Bird Line today, so we'll just take the tunnel and walk over.

But a weird thing happened, I managed to accidentally walk back out, and just as I did...

...the game decides it's time for Winter 1991 to change into the new season of Spring 1992! That's no problem, we're way ahead of schedule anyway. We have 7 years and 1 season left until Summer 1999, and 7 species left to collect to fulfill the winning condition of 30. Theoretically in Scenario A you can capture a maximum of around 80 different species (out of a total of 120 in the game), so I think we'll manage!

I should probably clarify that when I say "a total of 120 in the game", I mean that this is the number of species that can be captured. There are in fact a few other enemies in the game which aren't actually possible to capture. But we'll have a chance to see those later--probably not in this scenario.

In any case, let's go back inside.

As we (almost) always do, we'll head into the building and have a chat with the receptionist!

Well, that's not so good... I'm not sure if she'll be able to claim insanity, though?

Uh, ok?

Let's proceed on to the actual hospital ward building.

There are some new people around. For example, this pregnant lady here in the hallway.

Huff puff, huff puff, huff puff... Does this seem right to you?

I suppose she's practicing breathing for the childbirth?

[ Sure thing! ] / What even is that?
No matter how much I practice, I'm never sure I'll be able to do it right, when the time comes to do it for real!

Over in this room, there is another person:

If you're going to be a criminal, it's best to either be a ranger or a pregnant woman. After all, almost nobody will remember our faces because all they see is a uniform or a pregnant belly. Don't you agree?

Man, the pregnant women in this hospital have some really dark thoughts...

Going back to the other side, over here is our friend Sachiko:

I've passed the exam to no longer be a trainee nurse!
The only thing is, I'm still not so good at giving injections. So I just go "three, two, one, shoot!" in my head when I have to do it. Of course, I don't mention this to the patients!

Somehow, during this conversation, Ken again gets a message notification! We'll check that out in a moment. First, there's this other person in the computer room:

The psychology of male parents is very complicated. If the child resembles them, they're somehow uncomfortable, but then they are also uncomfortable if it doesn't! That's a very selfish way of seeing things.

Interesting, but let's head back out and check out the "special observation cell", where weird stuff happened last time.

The entrance seems not to be guarded, so let's head in!

Inside, we find Chen, the hospital director. I'm actually surprised that this guy somehow doesn't actually have a portrait for the dialogues?

I gave "Memorin Z" to Linda... but I don't know if it will be effective.

I assume that was before she somehow escaped?

But I might as well talk to you. I can't remember anything from when the mayor was killed in the special observation cell. They told me I was the one who alerted the rangers, but I really don't recall that either...

Hmmm, so was the murdered person actually the mayor of Koshikata and was he truly Ken's actual father? I guess we'll find out (maybe).

If we check out the cells, there seems to be nothing new there and we can't go in anyway. So let's just head back to the town entrance.

Let's listen to our new message! It's from the commander.

It's the commander! I need to check something, so I want you to come back immediately to the HQ! Come quickly! That is all!

All right, back to Hardia it is!

To the Ranger HQ, where we go up to commander's office.

I would never think you had anything to do with that, but still I want to hear you say it! It was not you, right?
[ Sorry, but actually Linda is hiding at my house! ] / But, I was with you here at the time it happened!
I don't have time for your silly jokes, but I'll stop by the house later to check, just in case!

As always, when it doesn't matter, we'll go with a funnier dialogue option!

It's making me sick to my stomach that there is another person walking around who looks the same as you...

Before we go... since it's now the year 1992, I guess the "fan service" calendar must have changed? Let's have a quick look.

Looks like it's Sachiko this time.

We are also done here for now, but as Ken starts to leave, Ben stops him...

Ken! one of the guards who were killed was stripped of his clothes. You know what that means, right? The killer might be walking around wearing a ranger's uniform!

And as that lady in the hospital said, that makes him practically unnoticeable!

So at this point, I figure we might as well go a bit north to try and catch some eagles so we could try out that sword... But just as I was getting started...

...you guessed it, Ken receives another message notification! Ok, fine, we'll head over to Battle Park to hear it.

The message is from Ken's mum!

Ken, it's Mum. Where have you been wandering about! Return home immediately! I don't want to talk details over the phone, but... well, anyway. There is a problem and I need you to come back home right now! Do you understand?

What could it possibly be that's so urgent? Well, not like we have a choice, so let's go!

Back in Hardia...

...Ken's mum is waiting in front of the house!

And inside...

...it's Linda in a dressed in a Santa suit! So THAT'S how she escaped!

I found her sleeping on the swing in front of our house, looking like this! I have never felt this nervous, ever since your father proposed to me!
Well, anyway, what are we going to do about this, Ken? Linda is on the wanted list, isn't she? Things being what they are, we can't exactly talk to the commander about this can we? Oh, what a bother...
I'm sorry for causing so much trouble...
Oh, what are you talking about! Linda! No need to be so formal, I've known you since you were a baby! I even scolded you when you played rough! So I know you well! I know you're not the kind of a girl who can kill someone like that!

This party is interrupted by the arrival of Commander Ben!

Commander! You couldn't have shown up at a worse moment!

I'm sure you've realised by now, but for today's episode the game has decided to switch into a full on sitcom genre! But I'm positive there's something gruesome waiting around a nearby corner somewhere!

So, here's what we're going to do... Come over, and talk to me for a second!

They go over to the side...

.....so then...
But that's silly...!
No, listen to the end... ... ... right?
Really? Well, if you say so...! Ahahahahaha!
And so, finally... ... ... and that's it!
Ahahaha, all right, I got it, that sounds good!

She turns to Linda...

Linda! Come over talk to me for a second!

They go over to the side...

.....so then...
But that's silly...!
No, listen to the end... ... ... right?
Really? Well, if you say so...! Ahahahahaha!
And so, finally... ... ... and that's it!
Ahahaha, all right, I got it, that sounds good!

Well, whatever it is, they seem to have agreed!

All right, Linda, come with me!

The two of them go away to the downstairs room for a moment...

[ What was that with "Ahahahahaha"? ]/ Please tell me what you're hiding from me?
Don't worry about it, just leave it to your mum. They'll be back in a moment!

After a few more moments, Ken's mum comes back...

All right now Linda, stop laughing and come up so that everyone can look at you!

Linda comes up the stairs...

...and now she's a ranger too! Does that mean she'll also join our party? Spoiler alert: yes it does!

The ranger uniform used to look slightly different back in the PC Engine days, so here is the same screenshot from that version:

And before you ask, no the Santa outfit did not have a close-up in the original version--that was added for the remake.

In other words, what we have here is a wanted person wearing a ranger uniform! It is, as they say, the darkest under the lamp post--hiding like this in plain sight you're unlikely to get caught!
Ken, maybe it's just a silly idea of mine, but... maybe you could go and show Linda around various places ? If she sees things she's familiar with, perhaps her memories will start to come back gradually?
Good idea! How about... take a trip to Ozport Public Park? Or really any other place you can think of?
Take me there, please, Ken! I want to start from the beginning and visit all the places you and I have memories of!

Well, it's clearly time to be on our way, but one last chat with Ben first...

Ken. I just wanted to tell you that I have been quite forgetful lately. I can't even remember any more that I've met Linda today, and also I have no idea where I've put that uniform. However, if you get into any sort of trouble, don't hesitate to come to me if you need help! I will take care of anything you need!

Well, that's nice to know. The commander certainly seems to be an outstanding guy.

And one final chat with Ken's mum:

Oh, right, Ken, I almost forgot. When the two of you were still little squirts, you told me once proudly that there is a secret in Ozport Park that only you and Linda know about. So look into that.

All right, now it's time to go for real!

As we come out, Linda notices the swing in front of Ken's house (or rather what used to be both of their houses, since as was mentioned, Linda's familiy moved to Minago at some point in time).

To be clear, despite what she's saying, the only place where we actually need to go is Ozport (one town which we definitely haven't visited at all so far), but there are a couple of other places where you can see some optional scenes/dialogue. In fact, those optional scenes were added in the remake--in the PC Engine version at this point you would more or less just proceed to Ozport directly.

Before we proceed with anything, however, since we now finally have Linda in our party, let's check out the party stats screen!

Well... I guess there was no reason to expect otherwise for a game of this vintage, but yes indeed Linda joins us at level 3, more or less where we left her. At least in this game there is a plot justification for this situation, since she spent most of the time since the start of the game actually in hospital! But that's ok, because for example fighting Earthworms in Marblepolis gives a ton of EXP, so she can get up to speed pretty quickly if needed. We'll take a bit of a break from capturing for the time being, however.

All right then, so the first thing we can do is, sit on the swing.

This swing... it's just like you. Blunt and comforting. Just being on it makes me feel happy... something good must have happened here. But what was it? I want to remember it soon!

Well, one of the things that happened here was that Linda proposed to Ken when they were little kids. But this is kind of glossed over a bit in the prologue cutscene in the remake, even though it was shown in more detail in the PC Engine version.

Anyway, next thing we can do is go into that little shed.

We played here as kids, didn't we? We were six and you were the doctor and I was the patient.
You said with a serious face, "Please now take off your..." Uh, I can't remember what you asked me to take off...
It was your... top / trousers / skirt.

You can actually choose here, but it doesn't matter because it continues the same way regardless, namely like this:

Ah, that's right! This is what I did back then also when you asked me!
No, you really did take it off, honest! / Well, you could take it off now? / [ I guess this is the "punch"-line, huh? ]
That's right! This is what you said back then, too!
Well, I guess that's about all I can remember here for now... Ken, did you expect something more? I can see it on your face.
[ Well... ] / Not really.
Then, let's come back here when my memory gets better, ok?

Before we leave though, over there on the back wall there is a photograph we can look at:

The two happy families, some years ago!

Incidentally, here is what this picture used to look like in the PC Engine version:

All right, let's move on.

As we head out of Hardia, I guess I can point out that this game uses again Dragon Quest style, so when you're in town both of your characters are visible, instead of getting "collapsed" into one like in Final Fantasy games. Anyway, let's get a move on.

As we walk through the entrance area, Linda seems to get a bit uneasy...

Sure thing. In fact, let's just head to Minago first!

As always, it's just across this river!

As we head to Linda's house, there's a ranger here that we can talk to.

If the mass disappearance is a case of kidnapping, then how did the culprits get the residents to leave with them? That's the mystery... it's not like they could have enticed them with sweets, now is it? Even if they scared them with weapons, surely many people would have resisted. So they must have left on their own... it's like a magic spell or something!

That's interesting, because, yes, there's still that whole story about how all the residents of Minago had disappeared, too. Lots of stuff going on in this game, that's for sure.

Linda's house, you will recall, is in the northwest part of town, so let's go there now.

We want to head over to Linda's room, but first, in the kitchen...

Some more meat to use! We should remember to not let it spoil, as we're heading into the summer soon! All right, now up to Linda's room one floor above.

Ken sure seems to get a lot of message notifications these days! We'll listen to it on our way out of Minago shortly. But anyway, where were we...

When we first moved here, you brought all our friends here for a visit! And we were... wrestling?
Um... um, can I do a cobra twist on you? I have a feeling it will help me remember?
Yeah, sure. / [ If it's not going to hurt... ]

Nnnnnnngh!

Ken takes 15 HP damage!

Please endure just a little more! I'm about to remember!
[ Still not...? ] / Stop!

Gahhhhhh...

Ken takes 13 HP damage!

Imdyingimdyingimdying!!!

Ken takes 10 HP damage!

Ouch! Ouch!

Ken takes 15 HP damage!

Still not...? / [ Stop! ]

It broke... / [ It was Jean! ]
No, it was John! I was just doing a key lock throw on him at that time...

Another wrestling move, by the way.

After that, you were scolded by John's mum instead of me... Do you remember? "It was me, I did it! Sorry!", you said to her.
Ken... thank you for everything! 🎔
*kiss* 🎔

But, that's all for now, so it's time to head out!

But, as we leave the house, Linda...

We do... And then:

The night when it happened... there were two Santa Clauses standing here, and... and...
And then... dang, I can't remember what happened after...

Well, at least she seems to be slowly remembering bits and pieces...

Heading back out, we'll pay a visit to the church. There isn't actually anything for Linda to remember there, but let's just check it out see what's inside, right?

Also... there's again that weird symbol above the door. We've already seen it in that underground area, but that stuff seemed pretty technlogically advanced, and we know that the Beastians weren't really like that when the settlers discovered them, so they probably weren't the ones who came up with it. There are many questions, and discovering the answers to those is basically what the overall plot of this game is about, of course. So we should expect it to take playing through all scenarios in order to get a complete picture, but I guess that's not a surprise.

Anyway, inside.

Looks neat. Let's take the stairs.

This place is pretty big. We'll keep going upstairs.

Still climbing.

And... there's a lone ranger all the way up here that we can talk to!

First the Christmas tragedy in Koshikata years ago, and now this mass disappearance... Why are there so many troublesome incidents in Beastian towns? Are they cursed?

Oh, so the Koshikata incident everybody keeps talking to was also a Christmas-related thing and it was one of those Beastian autonomous towns too? Interesting.

Since, yes, indeed, we only came to the church to talk to this guy, we'll head back out now!

On the way back down, we pass by this room containing a chest. But do you know what? The door is locked! What a surprise!

Needless to say, we'll be coming back here. But for now, let's listen to that message, finally!

The message is from Nek.

How you doin' bro? It's me! I forgot to tell you someting important, so I'm extending you the kindness of calling you now!
You won't be able to take off with the ark until Linda recovers her memories! If you doubt me, go and visit the command bridge! I set up something funny over there! Hehehehehe! See you soon, I'll be in touch!

This is a bit clunky here, but of course there has to be some way of making sure we actually finish the plot before taking off. Otherwise we could just go right now and finish the capturing and take off, right?

In any case, the ark was anyway where we were going to head next with Linda, so let's do that.

So, until now we were only really coming here to register the animals, but I'm sure it didn't escape your attention that there's that staircase going up on the right side. In fact, there are two more "decks" on the ark. So let's head up!

But, over here...

...is a staircase leading further up!

There's a bunch of doors here (and also on the floor below), but we'll check that in a moment. For now, let's walk all the way to the other end of the ark.

On the way, we pass by this door. You might recall that at the very beginning of the game, one of the rangers hanging about the ark mentioned to us that he's built a "love nest" for Ken and Linda to live in while they travel! So, that's this room here!

We can go inside...

But other than some storage and a bed, there is actually nothing here--it's completely empty!

So, you might be wondering, what even is the point of this?

Well, I'll tell you! Because this game definitely needs more things to do in it, this is yet another game mechanic we have not encountered so far. There is in fact... a furniture store in this game (!), and you can, well, buy stuff to equip your living quarters on the ark! We probably won't come to this until much later in the game, but actually by sheer coincidence we'll be passing by the said furniture in the next update so we'll get to at least see it even if we don't use it yet!

So, we'll just continue on our way.

Near the far end of the ship, there is a robot...

To enter the room, the male crew member should press their right hand on the panel and the female crew member should press her left hand on the panel next to the door.

I see. Well, that's good to know for the future.

Ah, there's the door robot was talking about. But, as we approach the door...

Linda suddenly collapses in pain!

So I guess, Nek was telling the truth. We aren't going to be getting in there any time soon.

Let's head back one floor below.

As before, it has a bunch of these "shacks". If we go into one of them...

...we find out that that's actually where the pods are located housing the animals we've captured!

If we look at a pod, it shows us the basic stats of the animal stored in it! So it's kind of like a bestiary option, really, except you have to walk around instead of choosing from a menu! For animals not yet caught, of course, there is nothing to see.

Having done this, let's head back out.

It's time finally to visit Ozport!

As you might remember it's located just slightly to the north from Hardia/Ark.

Here we are, it's located at P-10:

Inside, there are the usual facilities (plus some unusual ones, too). Up the escalator is the airport/shopping mall (they actually implemented the escalator fully-it's functional and you can ride on it!), but we'll do that later (i.e. next time). For now we'll explore the western part where the public park is. But first, let's talk to that guy standing in front of the animal shop.

No merchant will be foolish enough to pay money for an egg when you don't know what you're going to get from it. When you don't know what's going to hatch, you can't sell the eggs. So, that's where the "Big Mama" comes into play. Well, just go in and have a look at it yourself.

I have no idea what he's talking about. Eggs? But he said to go in and find out, so let's?

First thing inside is the usual animal trader...

You should know that it's not allowed to take any animals on the escape shuttles. But here is a piece of advice, I will take them for a good price. So just leave them here with me.

That's ok, we'll be taking them with us on the ark anyway. But thanks for the info.

A bit further in is this... thing. It looks like there are eggs being incubated here, so I suppose this must be the "Big Mama" the other guy was talking about? We can find out more from that lady standing in front of the picture of an egg.

We call this machine, the "Big Mama". It can be a dedicated mother to up to 8 animal eggs at a time. If you ever find an egg somewhere, remember it.

And well, yes. We've found ANOTHER thing you can do in this game--growing and hatching the eggs! To be honest, this is also something we'll be exploring in a lot more detail in later scenarios, but not so much in this one most likely.

For now, let's head into the park to the west.

There is a sign at the entrance:

In the park are prohibited the activities which can cause nuisance to other people, such as: playing catch, lighting bonfires, etc.

-- Ozport Public Park Administration

Good to know. There is also a person sitting on the bench by the entrance.

The summer of the year AMD 1999. It's just a simple sequence of letters and numbers that signifies the end of this planet.

Inside the park, situation is not great, there are definitely vagrant tents and bonfires...

If we go inside the first tent...

Many of us Beastians who prefer a carefree life outdoors don't even have a citizen number. Without one, you are last in line for the escape shuttles. But even if you do get to another planet there are no guarantees you'll have a good life. So I guess, same as now, basically.

If we go to the other tent next to it...

The flowers are valuable because they wither. They are valuable to you who gives them, to her who receives them and of course to me who sells them.

So this is a flower shop, where you can buy flowers! This is again something that we'll be talking more about later since we have no need of it at the moment. But you can see the flowers there in the back that she sells.

There is also this person here standing around by the tents...

Please donate to the less fortunate, sir. It's better to donate to me than to just pretend you're doing something good. A donation to me is a far better thing to do!

So you can give him money, but for right now it doesn't accomplish anything.

And finally the tent in the top right corner.

This one is actually the equipment shop!

Your resistance to sound, light and also the gas based attacks is determined by your headgear! I guess once you get hurt you will learn.

So yeah, you might recall that there were some animal attacks named "<Something> Gas". That is what this is about--your headgear influences your defence/resistance against such attacks. He doesn't really have any useful equipment to buy, so we'll move on.

Our next stop is this counter here...

...which again has something to do with the whole egg thing!

Mysterious, mysterious, mysterious eggs! If you go deep into the cave at this time of year and find an unfamiliar round object, chances are, it's an egg! Look for them in the sand by the water, in the grass, and of course in nests. Just... try not to be seen by the parents, ok?

So this is actually an egg shop. It's true you can find them, but you can also buy some here, if we check out his list of stuff on sale:

So here on sale we have, from the top: smooth, rattling, lumpy, chubby, coarse, thorny, and squishy eggs! But the problem is, at least on the surface of things, you don't really know what you're going to get when it hatches! If you thought it was going to be so easy to just buy an egg of a specific animal, think again! But, as I said, this is something for much later, so for now let's continue to explore the park.

Next to the egg shop, there is one more tent to explore.

This is an inn where you can stay for 1/10 of the price of the airport hotel!

Well, that's cool, but we don't need it for now. What I find more interesting is that this location (as you can see in top left corner of this screenshot) is labeled as "Mysterious Tent". I wonder why that is. Well, I'm sure we'll find out eventually.

In the meantime, we'll move on to the northern side of the park, where there is this lady we can talk to.

It is said that if you carve your name and the name of the person you love on the trunk of this tree, you will end up together. Of course, this is just superstition, but I still come to check the tree from time to time, because I would feel weird if it turned out that someone had carved my name here!

If we go through that gap in the hedge, we can reach the tree (also, what is this, Tokimeki Memorial?).

First, let's read what's written on that sign next to the entrance:

The Red Thread Cedar

There is a legend that if you carve your lover's name on this tree, your love will come true.

It is forbidden to unnecessarily damage this tree, because it can cause it to die. So please don't do it.

-- Ozport Public Park Administration

Before we check out the tree, there are a couple of people to talk to here. First this lady here, who also seems to be pregnant:

The best conversations are had in the silence of the night. So if you want to know what the other person is really thinking, it's best to go camping! Give it a try.

What this means is, when Ken and Linda are both in the party (like now), you should definitely use the "camp" option since sometimes they will have a conversation you can't otherwise get to hear. We'll definitely do this when we're out in the field, as there are also some quite funny ones to be found!

And then this guy here.

Check out the trunk of the cedar! Usually you'll find a familiar name or two, so you can use that an excuse to make fun of that person!

All right, well, it's time to check out the tree I guess!

Ken examined the trunk of the tree. He found, at waist height, the names of Ken and Linda written inside of a 🎔.

[ I think so... ] / Maybe it was me?
It has to have been me... you couldn't even write propely yet at that time!
But Ken, do you see what this means? I'm starting to remember things bit by bit! Let's look for other stuff written on the tree, it may help me to remember!

I guess let's do that.

Ken examined the trunk of the tree. He found, at chest height, the names of Paul and Linda written inside of a 🎔.

...Ah!
No, I don't remember this at all, so it must be someone else. Let's keep looking.

Ken examined the trunk of the tree. He found, at eye height, the names of Ken and Sachiko written inside of a 🎔.

There is a nurse named Sachiko working in Hospico, cute as a button. But it's probably not her, right?
Let's keep looking and see if your name will turn up again!

Ken examined the trunk of the tree. He could faintly read the names of Anne and Gene written inside of a 🎔.

Maybe our parents on a break at some point before they got married to their current spouses?
Ahahaha, kidding!

This is all very silly, for sure. If we keep looking at the tree...

Ken could find many names on the tree, but none which rang a bell.

This is our cue to leave. But as we do...

It cost all of 2G! But look! I still have it!

I had it made into a pendant when I was 12, because it was so small!
Would you buy me another one today? I'm sure it'll help me remember something!
[ Let's go and look! ] / But it's just 2G?

Sure thing, but that's something that will have to wait for next time, since we've already done a lot today!

And speaking of "a lot", is it just me, or does it seem to anybody else that there is enough material in this game for like 2 or 3 "normal" JRPGs of this time period? I mean it's pretty wild the amount of different things that they bothered to implement for you to be able to do!

Anyway, tell me what you think, but until next time, enjoy another couple of illustrations!

Today, we first start with a high resolution version of the family photo:

And then a drawing of Linda in her ranger uniform:

ivantod fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 31, 2021

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I see Nek has embraced his role as a Saturday morning cartoon villain.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Glad to see we've finally gotten our other party member after all this.

They really did stick a lot of side-mechanics in this game, what with the furniture and the egg-raising and whatnot. I guess they really wanted you to use all those years they give you to get the ark ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I like that Linda herself is kind of a violence gremlin.