Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

that pc engine version of the ark looks kinda.... gooey :ohdear: will it get added to an update? also i like how both ken and linda are posing in their status screens :3:

ah, the colors in that high res family photo look quite different from the in game one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
You can get 80 animals in this scenario? When you said you needed 30 I just sort of assumed that was ALL you can get. So you can get more than required?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Sachiko, ever present yet also apparently utterly irrelevant to the plot.

Bout time Linda joins the party.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Hypocrisy posted:

Sachiko, ever present yet also apparently utterly irrelevant to the plot.

Kind of ominous, really.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I was kind of curious how the scenario plots meshed with the scenario goals just being "Noah's Pokemon". Good to see that you have to play through the plot first. And that tree scene is cute, but do both people have to be there for it to count (so Ken would have had to be with the nurse when she carved it) or was that just a thing Ken and Linda did together, while normally it's just one person who sneaks in and carves their name and their crushes name?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
At this point I'm expecting everyone, Ken included, to have been hit with memory-altering shenanigans.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Randalor posted:

And that tree scene is cute, but do both people have to be there for it to count (so Ken would have had to be with the nurse when she carved it) or was that just a thing Ken and Linda did together, while normally it's just one person who sneaks in and carves their name and their crushes name?

I'm pretty sure it's implied that both people DON'T have to be there because that lady says that she has to keep coming to check if somebody had put her name there. So this would mean that the Ken & Sachiko thing was probably done by Sachiko without his knowledge or something like that, I guess.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

You can get 80 animals in this scenario? When you said you needed 30 I just sort of assumed that was ALL you can get. So you can get more than required?

Yeah, you can. The south area is not accesible, but most of the rest of the map is, so you can literally go and do whatever you want. The game gives you a lot of freedom in capturing how you want to do it. But in this scenario there's nothing extra to be gained by capturing more than the required 30.

Booky posted:

that pc engine version of the ark looks kinda.... gooey :ohdear: will it get added to an update? also i like how both ken and linda are posing in their status screens :3:

ah, the colors in that high res family photo look quite different from the in game one

You know that's not a bad idea... I will add it to whatever update this first appears in.

About the family photo, I honestly don't know, one is a scan from a book and the other is the screenshot from the game so who knows what happened in between. But this also reminded me that I forgot to show what this photo looked like in the PC Engine version, because it was actually slightly different:

I'll add this too to the previous update, thanks for reminding me!

ivantod fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 31, 2021

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Linda is even more of a violence gremlin in that

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

She is a violence gremlin, but she does have more of a resemblance to her mom in the sepia-tone photo.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Last time, Linda showed up at Ken's house, still without her memories. After a brief consultation with Ken's mum and Ben, the ranger commander, it was decided to "disguise" her as a ranger because apparently because nobody would think to look for here there! Ken and Linda then proceeded to visit several locations, in an attempt to jog her memory, and it's kind of working a bit. When we left off, they had just finished examining a tree where they carved their names as kids. Presently they are on the way to buy a 2G ring, which is the same thing Ken did back then to commemorate the ocassion.

Therefore, we'll join them as they are making their way to the Ozport airport shopping mall!

And here are Ken and Linda, leaving the Ozport public park...

We'll head over to the airport and shopping mall, where there's this guy, standing in front of a "WELCOME NEOKENYA" flower bed. Presumably what they meant to say here was actually "WELCOME TO NEOKENYA", but it's close enough, I guess.

"WELCOME NEOKENYA", huh? They are happy to welcome you when you arrive, but now that everybody's leaving, nobody bothers to see people off.

This is actually even worse, because the Federation knew from the start that the time is limited before this planet is rendered uninhabitable. Yet they still continued without telling this to the settlers. Not nice.

Over here by the escalator (or, alternately, by the tent, if that's your preference), is another ranger.

No matter how hungry you are, it's better not to try to eat the flowers you find outside.

Hmm, that's pretty interesting, but we have no idea what he really means. We haven't even come across any flowers in the wild anyway. So let's just add this to our list of things to "remember for later".

Incidentally, the tent is empty. The stairs and the escalator (which, as I already mentioned, is actually fully functional in game!) lead directly into the airport proper...

...so we'll go over to this entrance here, which leads into the shopping mall part of the complex.

Here we go. Immediately next to the entrance is the wedding shop.

We can start by talking to this lady here who seems to be admiring the mannequins. Is it just me or do the mannequins actually look like Linda?

So pretty... I would love to get married in a dress like this. I wonder, if my husband dies, will I get enough insurance money to buy this dress for my second marriage...? I should go and run the numbers...

Well, that's just... By the way, the Japanese character on the wall there next to the dresses means "congratulations"/"best wishes". It has a couple of other meanings, but I guess that's the intended one here.

To continue, there are two people working here at the counter. So, let's start with the first one.

All rings sold here will shine forever and are the perfect gift when exchaning the vows for the future! Although, when you're in this business, sometimes you tend to forget that there are also other ways of expressing love and affection!

Well, let's see what's for sale here!

Hmm. So there are three things here. The middle thing (which costs 500,000 G) is a Diamond Ring. That's pretty clearly outside of our price range for now (the blue colour indicates we don't have enough money to buy this). At the bottom there is our 2G ring, in fact it's labelled as "Promotional Ring"! This is quite embarassing, but if Linda really wants it... Anyway, we'll check that in a moment.

The thing at the top of the list is something named "Ziade's Ring" and it's indicated that it sells for "market value", whatever that means. But, what even is a "Ziade's Ring" and what is it for in the first place? I mean, we could try to buy it, we still have some money in the bank due to Ken's regular salary, so we won't be destitute.

Let's simply offer all the money we have. I mean what could go wrong?

Customer, I think you got the number of zeros at the end wrong there!

Oooh, what a sick burn! Well, clearly this is not happening today either (and, spoiler alert, it's NOT going to be happening in Scenario A at all--this particular mystery will have to wait until later in the game!), so we can just go ahead and buy the 2G ring, as it really does seem this the only thing which we can really afford right now. Although our "list of things we need to explore" is getting quite long at this point. As you can imagine, you're not meant to uncover/understand everything over the course of one scenario. It isn't even possible to do so, considering that one third of the map is blocked off in this scenario to begin with!

A side note: You could say, we'll let's just go and grind money so we can buy the diamond ring. While this sounds good in theory, don't forget that fighting animals will also level you up, thus at some point making it impossible to actually capture those same animals, because of the overkill issue I discussed at some point. So this won't really work in a general case. Therefore, for now, as mentioned, let's simply spend the 2G on a ring that Linda anyway said is the one she wants (at least for now).

So, if we buy the 2G ring...

If you wear it with confidence, nobody will realise that this is a 2G ring! Trust me, it looks more like a 200G ring!

Linda puts it on...

Thank you! 🎔
But I can't really remember anything else... Sorry.

Well, no matter. Let's talk to the other salesperson here in the wedding shop.

The key to a happy marriage is to be as reckless as possible when spending on your wedding and wedding-related stuff. That way, you'll never want to go through a wedding again so you'll be more prepared to put up with stuff during your marriage!

There is some geuinely clever/funny writing in this game, I have to say. Anyway, what is for sale here:

The 5000G item is a "engagement gift set", but it's a mostly useless item so we're not going to worry about buying it right now. The other thing is a "luxury wedding dress" which again sells for "market value". If we try to buy that second one with all our money...

It's a hard thing to say to a customer, but on a ranger salary it might take you about 100 years to save up for it. I really don't think you could even do it...

Yeah, so... at this point we'll just move on!

Our next stop is...

...the furniture store! I told you there was one here! The Japanese text on the banners says "Interior Shop". There are two ladies working here, so let's start by talking to the one on the left.

First of all, I'd like to point out that the products we sell here are not in any way useful for animal collecting. So, just remember to stop by if you have some extra money. We just want to be on the up and up with you.

Well, let's just see what you have for sa...

...aaaaah, look at those prices! Are they actually serious! No, I don't think we'll be buying anything here today. But, IF we had the money, we could buy stuff like a double bed for 110,000G, or a wardrobe for 45,000 or a coffee table for 10,000 or a reproduction of a Rousseau painting for 40,000. Presumably the Rousseau here is Henri Rousseau (1844-1910), a post-impressionist famous for his paintings of jungle animals, so that surprisingly fits with the theme of our game. Also, I know you're curious, the 800,000G item is a rotating bed. Either way, we're way too poor for any of this, but don't worry, the time will come!

We can also talk to the second lady working here at the furniture store...

If you choose your furniture without thinking, you'll end up sleeping on your sofa or eating on your bed. We're in the business of sales, so we'll sell it to you, but still, we can give you some advice if you want.

Here, there is a whole other set of items to buy:

The prices are slightly more affordable and here we have things like a kitchen cupboard for 20,000 or a pair of bookshelves for 30,000 or even a stuffed lion for 30,000G.

Anyway, we'll move on for now. One thing I should mention is that because this town is just a few steps away from Hardia, the game expects that you might visit here pretty early on, so there are a few people here who give you early-game tutortials. However, this is all stuff we already know by now, so unless they say something really interesting and/or funny, I'll simply skip them here. We're here a bit late in the proceedings, but that's only because there's no real reason to come here until Linda is back with us, but of course, if you're playing the game for the first time and simply exploring, then it's likely you'll stumble here early on.

We'll stop briefly at this counter. This is your typical "general store" consumable/item shop.

One interesting item in their inventory is the "Air Free Pass" for 28,000G. As you might guess, this allows you to use the Bird Line for free after you buy it! This is also something to consider for later, but right now we don't have the money, or, honestly, the need for it.

Over here in the corner is the butcher.

Just because a meat is sold in a butcher shop, it doesn't mean that it's safe to eat. We only sell it here because people buy it! The crazies want to try eating it just because no one has eaten it before... but these people end making up half the patients at Hospico!

Also, from now on, if you see some chests on the screen and I don't mention anything, just assume that they are behind a locked door, ok? So we'll move over next door to the equipment shop!

If you increase your attack power unnecessarily, it might make it harder to catch the animal alive. If you hit too hard the animal's body will end up destroyed and there's nothing you can do about it.

The warning against over-leveling as we are already aware. Kind of a nice way to incorporate an "anti-grind" measure directly as part of the plot! The "destroyed" animals, don't even give EXP, either!

(Funnily enough, though, we ARE going to do just a small bit of grinding today after all!)

And so, luckily this is not a video LP, because at this point I spend an inordinate amount of time fiddling around with what equipment I want to buy and/or equip for Ken and Linda.

Since we have quite a few earthworms from Ken's adventure at the dig site, we can craft some equipment. First I make earthworm goggles for Ken as headgear. This increases his defence to 198:

And then, earthworm clothes for Linda:

This gives her some nice defensive bonuses. Linda, by the way, starts with Rabbit equipment (Ken started with Squirrel equipement originally).

Then I also make earthwork goggles for Linda too, for a further defensive bonus:

This brings her defence finally to 142.

And now, I spend a ridiculous amount of time figuring out who should use what weapon, even considering to make an earthworm whip. But it's a normal weapon that hits one enemy only, and the increase in power is not worth almost 3,000G that it costs to make. So I give up on that idea.

Finally, this is what I end up with. I give Linda Ken's jellyfish needle, which takes her attack power to 144 (although it only hits one enemy):

And Ken goes back to his old swallow cutter, which, while its attack power is slightly lower, has the amazing benefit of hitting all enemies in front of him. So this is what he ends up with:

So his attack power goes down to 207, but as mentioned the fact that it hits all enemies is worth it.

Finally, we can also talk to the other person here at the equipment shop:

Spending money on spare equipment is what separates a great hunter from a good. Then, if your equipment breaks, there is no panic and you can simply replace it with a spare one. This is one of the secrets to a long life!

Yes, equipment breaking is definitely a thing in this game. Again, something we'll cover when it actually happens. I do sell some of starting equimpment here that we're definitely not going to need, though.

And finally, after spending way too much time here, let's keep going left.

Over here we can read the sign.

Winter Lottery Winning Numbers Announcement

1st Prize (100,000G): No. 4089
2nd Prize (50,000G): No. 4090, 4088
3rd Prize (10,000G): No. 9804
4th Prize (1,000G): No. *086
5th Prize (100G): No. **87

Valid for redemption only this Spring!

I'm sure nobody's surprised any more at this point that still more new things pop up that you can do in this game, and, well, lottery is one of them. We can talk to the guy at the counter next to the sign to find out more!

The Spring lottery is now announced! Who is going to win 100,000G?
The proceeds of the lottery will benefit the Neo-Kenya refugees, so if nobody wins, more people can be helped! Therefore, consider it a joyful occasion if you don't win!

Our next stop is the bank.

First, let's talk to the guy here.

My name is Yamada. Ehehehe. Ah, sorry, I'm just smiling like this... the girl sitting next to me is cute, right? Miss Maki is the most beautiful woman working in the bank. Actually, she promised me a date. It would be weird if I don't propose by the third date, right?

Ummm, I'm not sure about that, but you do you, Yamada.

Checking out Ken's bank book, we find out that his salary has gone up to 1,400G this Spring. Still, considering the prices, that's pretty much nothing (as most characters are happy to point out), so the money does have to be earned in other ways. Usually this is by selling animals, so again there is a balancing act between having enough money to function in this world and not being overleveled at the same time. Still, we seem to be doing ok on both fronts for now, so I guess we should just continue with what works then?

As mentioned, the woman sitting on the right is "Miss Maki", so let's see what she has to say.

Hello! I'm Maki! I've done everything I wanted to do in my teens, so I think now is the time to get married! I mean, I am already 23, after all! 🎔

We can go around to the back where the bank offices are, although there is a sign on the wall which says: "No unauthorised persons beyond this point!".

There are two guys here. So let's start with the first one...

What do young people think workplace is these days? Just a place to have a romance? I don't know, but I think it's not right!

And the other guy...

Hi, I'm Paul, I'm the bank clerk here! My colleague Yamada is in love with Miss Maki, the girl who works behind the counter there. But actually she's the director's girlfriend, except Yamada has no idea. He's probably going to be kicked out soon if he doesn't learn to hide it better--it's all over his face!

Funny, but I happen to spy...

...some actually accessible chests here! And there's three of them too! Let's see what they contain.

The left one...

The right one...

And finally, the middle one...

So, uh, I guess we got three tissues? But what are they for?

I mean, here they are, right in our inventory (I've highlighted one) and it seems they can be sold for the whole 1G? Hmmm. We'll see.

Incidentally, in the PC Engine version, there was only one chest and therefore only one tissue to be found:

All right, well, if we go back to the furniture shop...

...there is this staircase leading down next to it.

As we get down...

As a woman, I would like to be able to wear one of those once in my life...
Haha, just kidding, there's no way on a ranger's salary!

Down here, we have a bar but I'm not going to drink anything as having too much affects you with the "lost" status effect, which is annoying!

Also here is an information desk with a person in a bunny suit.

The basement of the Ozport airport hotel is Neo-Kenya's premier adult entertainment venue... except that the casino and the bar have practically no customers any more. Still, if you want to lose your money, head over to the casino and if you want to get drunk on cheap alcohol, go to the bar. You're definitely free to do so, I won't stop you.
The room behind me is a storage room. No idea what's in there, but there are rumours... The manager says he's lost the keys and the previous manager has since disappeared.

Interesting. Also, you can just see a couple of chests in that storage room, but, well... you know.

As mentioned, over here really is the casino with slot machines and a roulette table.

We can talk to the roulette guy.

The thrill of slot machines is not enough to satisfy the swarms of tourists which come to this planet. When you have a planet where your life is immediately at risk as soon as you step outside of town, playing for money is just boring, isn't it? Nowadays, the only ones who are playing slot machines are poor Beastians like me.

Surprisingly, being able to gamble in a casino is NOT one of this game's mechanics! Or, perhaps not so surprising when you consider that Japan has pretty strict gambling laws and casinos are not generally legal. So I suppose maybe they just didn't want to put it in the game.

Also the waitress here:

It maybe too late by the time you realise you're addicted to slot machines. But, I don't worry about you, because you're playing the much more thrilling game on this planet right now!

And well, for now that's all we can do down here. We'll head back up, trying not to get too annoyed about that chest in the locked room there. I didn't mention that this is not simply a matter of finding a "key". You need for each room to find a SPECIFIC key that opens only that room!

We'll go by the bank and take this staircase up...

This leads to the VIP Rooms. But there is a few people here and we can just go into the rooms to talk to them!

Like so.

If the ears are a bit long, we call it a rabbit. If the nose is upturned, then it's a pig. It's kind of a silly way on naming things, but I guess we miss our old planet Earth, so at least we keep the names.

If there's one thing that you learn quickly in this game, it's that nothing is random and even for the most mundane things, there will be some in-universe justification why they are the way they are. Lots of attention to detail that you don't often see.

Most of the rooms are empty, but on the other end, there is another person.

There is a tunnel leading to Hospico and Paraside at S-12. But nobody uses it any more, why would you risk your life over 100G.

He's talking about the ticket for using the Bird Line instead of walking through that tunnel that we've used many times. Considering that you can actually see the enemies on the map, I don't think it's that bad, but...

We'll take that staircase right outside the room...

This brings us to another floor with rooms, with a couple more people to talk to.

Like this lady here.

The story of Eterna's Green Pharmaceuticals is so well known, that they've even hear about it on other planets. Especially about director Elizabeth, who is like a goddes to aspiring businesswomen everywhere.

Ah, right, it's been a while since we visited Eterna... Perhaps it might be an idea to go there soon again, especially now that Linda is with us?

Further down the hall is the actual reception desk of the hotel...

The pride of our hotel are the VIP rooms on the first floor. It's where all important people from the Federation stay when they come to our planet.

That santa there just collects donations for the refugees, so we'll again go up the stairs.

Here, there is a person on the rooftop!

Running through a town will not make you weaker, just somebody might think that you're a thief. Also feel free to run back and forth through the tunnels, as much as you like.

Basically telling us that running consumes HP only on the overworld map and dungeons, but not inside towns or tunnels.

If we go back down, there are some more rooms here...

In this one, there's a boy we can talk to.

This is the time of the year when you can see flocks of swallows flying off the coast of G-07. It's close enough to be a Spring tourist spot and also a location for a first date if you don't have so much money. Well, it's not so bad I guess?

Maybe this is something we should try visiting?

Anyway, let's make our way back all the way out.

We are now at the top of that escalator we saw at the beginning. As always, we'll talk to the person.

The connection between Ozport and the orbital satellite Ozsat is the rainbow coloured light being emitted from this tower towards the sky. When you look at the town from outside the dome, it look like it's situated at the end of a rainbow, so therefore it was named Ozport. But it doesn't look like anybody's dreams will be coming true in this place, though.

Ah, here is the emitter. So let's head in through the glass door.

This brings us into the actual airport part of this whole complex. First let's read the sign on the wall!

Milky Way, the last paradise! The nature is waiting for you!
        --Neo-Kenya Travel

Just an outdated advertisement, it seems.

Additionally, there are people here. First the lady at the desk.

If you're going to Ozsat, please proceed directly to the transporter pad. Any time is fine.

And then the other person, sitting at the computers.

There's nothing to worry about! In the last year we've not made a single mistake where somebody was accidentaly shot into empty space! We have fewer accidents than the Bird Line and it's definitely safer than walking around outside towns!

Here by the transporter pad, there is a technician.

Bringing in firearms and taking animals out of this planet is strictly being checked for. Especially taking animals out is not allowed!

Let's use the transporter.

As mentioned, it takes us up to the orbital satellite Ozsat. Of course, we're here mostly to talk to people at this point. For example the person sitting at the desk.

Welcome to the orbital satellite Ozsat. Are you here to see someone off?
Something like that... / [ We're looking for animals. ]
The only "animals" here are the oddball lab techs. It seems we got all the weird ones.

Over here there are two more people. First, the woman sitting at the computer:

I heard the that the transporter system has suddenly reduced the costs of getting things into orbit to 1/100000 of what it would have cost otherwise. It's the same technology used for your backpack, and apparently it was discovered somewhere during the archaeological excavations.

You don't say. Well, that's definitely going to be worth looking into once we have some time to actually explore this planet in detail.

The technician:

There are only 30 evacuation flights left. I wonder if they will be able to pick up everyone who's on the ground. I hope there won't be any "leftovers", but knowing how Federation plans and executes things, I wouldn't be so sure.

Going back to the person sitting at the desk, we'll take the staircase that was there.

This leads us to a whole other area on the satellite. I'm pretty sure those beds have restraints simply because of low gravity, though.

We can talk to this lady here.

Did you ever check out the weather forecast over the phone?
[ I did. ] / I didn't.

Well, tehcnically we didn't, but...

That's because I'm looking at Neo-Kenya cloud cover from here and producing a forecast. Sometimes I'm not sure so I just invent something. But overall, it's pretty accurate, right?

And another person over here.

Ken! A person who left through here has left you a message! Would you like to hear it?
[ Yes. ] / No.
"Ken! Linda! Hang in there until the last minute collecting the animals, but I'm heading somewhere safe!"
There will be more of these as the time goes on, so make sure to come and check!

No idea who that message is from, but yes, as time passes we can hear different messages for Ken and Linda here. So we might visit from time to time.

If we pass through that door on the "north" wall, we go into a hallway...

...which ultimately leads to another person!

If you are on an escape shuttle, proceed downstairs to the boarding gate. If you're seeing someone off, proceed to the left to the observation area.

And in the observation area...

The brochure distributed by the Federation to promote the Escape Project seems to be informative and shows a lot of photograph of shuttles. But now that the evacuation has actually begun, there is only one shuttle, and even that is a hastily converted cargo ship. I don't think the Federation can really be trusted.

We're done here for now, so we'll head back to the transporter pad...

...and return back to the planet surface!

We take this staircase down...

...which brings us to another kind of "waiting" area at the airport. Let's have a chat with this lady.

I don't know if it's "the beauty of destruction" or what, but for the past few years, travelling to Neo-Kenya has been all the rage among the rich and bored! It's amazing how people can be ruthless onlookers when it's someone else's problem. It's beyond appaling.

And the other guy.

When they came as settlers, they were brought in on luxury ships, but now they are leaving on a converted freighter! They pack them like sardines into an old fashioned rocket! The Federation really is quite uncaring...

And finally the woman sitting at the desk behind...

You see that old dude over there? That guy who looks like he can make a crying child go quiet, he's actually the director of this airport! It shows you that you can't judge the people based on their looks.

We can't actually see him on the screenshot, but if we move a little bit...

There he is. I can see why he may look intimidating.

Hi! How's it going with the ark project? I believe in you guys! Please do your best!

Well, that was not particularly englightening... But in any case, we continue by taking that staircase down.

And that takes us to this area, where we can talk to the lady at the information desk...

If you are boarding the escape shuttle, please proceed to the transporter pad located on the third floor to go to the Ozsat satellite. Please note that it is not allow to bring any hand luggage on board.

Next to her, there is some kind of thing. If we read the sign...

☆Neo-Kenya: One Hundred Years of Progress☆

An introduction to Neo-Kenya, from its discovery to the present day, in an easy-to-understand format!

One hundred years of progress is all it's going to get too, so this is a bit ironic. Unfortunately, we can't look at the exhibit more closely, which is a shame, as that would have been interesting. No matter, we'll discover all of this planet's secrets ourselves soon enough. But not exactly in this scenario, though.

This guy is sitting at the bar...

All drinks have a unique tast of their own. The only thing they have in common is that they all taste pretty bad!

Yeah, so I'm not going to be buying anything to drink anyway. You can restore HP by buying a drink, but why do that when a camp will do it for free?

Anyway, this was all a relaxing walk/sightseeing, but now is the time to get back to work again. So, let's head outside!

We'll need to do soon a bit more hunting, and Linda is still only at level 3! So we need to take care of that a little bit. For that purpose we'll head through the west-east tunnel and then due south east in order to make our way to Marblepolis.

Inside, I figure we might as well make camp for the night, in order to restore everybody HP and so on.

So I set everybody to "sleep" and set up camp. But there is a bit of a difference this time: when Ken and Linda are together, when you make camp, they will often have a short conversation. Such is the case today, too.

Ken... your mother is a very nice woman. And the commander is very nice too. They are dating, aren't they? Your mum and the commander, I mean.
[ Looks like it. ] / You really think so?
Your late father would be happy to give them his blessing, I'm sure.

And so, next morning...

...if we check our inventory, we find out that one of our three tissues apparently got used overnight. It used to be right there where there is now an empty spot.

Well anyway, we have a thing we came here to do, and that is to level up Linda. This can be done pretty quickly by fighting earthworms, since they usually come in large groups and give a pretty good chunk of EXP. So Linda will pretty much be gaining a level after each battle for a while!

It goes pretty much as expected, but if you want to see it all in action, I have put a video below which shows a bit of dungeon traversal and a battle with a bunch of earthworms.

To explain a bit. Everyone's attacks go in order of their speed, including our two dogs, so nothing unusual there. Near the end of the battle, one of our dogs runs away (as I already explained before that it can happen here). After the battle is done, Ken goes up to level 21 and Linda to level 10. You can also see that after the battle Ken is flashing orange--this indicates some kind of adverse condition. You can go into the "party condition" menu option to see, but there I find out that the only problem is that Linda is very low on HP, which I solve by giving her one of those tablets.

Anyway, level 10 is enough for now, so we head out, but unfortunately there is one unavoidable battle in a narrow passage, so Linda gains another level there. And so, here is where we are after all this:

That should be ok for the time being, I think. The closest town is Hospico, so let's head there for a bit.

First of all, we go to the animal trader...

Because, as it turns out between this and previous visit to Marblepolis, we have collected quite a quantity of earthworms:

Yes. That's 47 males and 35 females, no joke. So I sell all of that, which results in a pretty nice sum of money.

That says 48,107 G, yes. So we should be set financially for a good while for sure.

Another thing I do here is buy a rescue beacon from the Bird Line shop. As mentioned, it allows us to be picked up from anywhere in the world. So we might use it to save time at some point, or something.

When we are already here, let's just check in quickly with Sachiko...

Today, she is here at the nurses station.

Ugh, she keeps saying these odd things and I'm never sure if I should take her seriously or not!

And, well at this point, as I'm walking around the map, the game decides that it's time for Summer of 1992 to begin!

There is exactly seven years left and also seven species to still collect.

I hope everyone enjoyed taking a bit of a break, but in our next episode it's time to do some hunting and to pick up the plot again!

Today we have another typically silly one from the PC Engine times:

...and also a sketch which looks like an advertisement for the game or something:

("Coming Soon!")

ivantod fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 9, 2022

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
The concept art continues to be great, though Ken never seems to catch a break.

This incredibly normal RPG is remains very unique, and I'm loving it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Man the wedding industry was a scam even in the 90s.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That wedding industry joke is genuinely pretty great.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Odd Wilson posted:

The concept art continues to be great, though Ken never seems to catch a break.

If you like the illustrations, then you might want to check out the two "Cannabis Works" books by this game's illustrator/character designer/cutscene director Tatsuyuki Tanaka. They have lots of other works besides those related to this particular game:

ivantod fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 16, 2021

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Interesting name for those books.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"It just works, people!"

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

ivantod posted:

If you like the illustrations, then you might want to check out the two "Cannabis Works" books by this game's illustrator/character designer/cutscene director Tatsuyuki Tanaka. They have lots of other works besides those related to this particular game:

Oh, neat! I'll definitely check it out sometime then. That is an... interesting name, though it's about what I expect at this point.

:catdrugs:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Wait, he's one of the key animators for Akira - no wonder I kept thinking the style looks familiar.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Robindaybird posted:

Wait, he's one of the key animators for Akira - no wonder I kept thinking the style looks familiar.

Yep, that's him! He worked on Akira and also a whole bunch of other well known animes from that time period like "Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water" and others. For Linda Cube he basically did also all the cutscene storyboards/direction and character design and other stuff.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

If you get all the animals required for a scenario can you just gently caress off and get on the ark or do you HAVE to wait until the time limit is coming to an end/the plot says you can?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

If you get all the animals required for a scenario can you just gently caress off and get on the ark or do you HAVE to wait until the time limit is coming to an end/the plot says you can?

Well, this scenario has already made it so you can't leave until you do the plot by locking away the controls to actually fly away with the ark until you do so...

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

You cannot leave until the plot says so. Remember how we went to the ark control room and Linda started convulsing in pain because Nek set some kind of thing up there.

We can only leave after that situation is cleared up via the plot progression. At that point, we're mostly free to finish capturing the remaining species and take off with the ark at our own leisure, but not before.

But no worries, as I mentioned, over the course of the game we aren't always going to be so tightly restrained by the plot.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Right, right. I forgot about that part.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Previously, Ken and Lind had a bit of a wander around Ozport, where the main airport was related. Today we'll definitely continue a bit with the hunting, since that's been somewhat neglected for a little while. Also, it's time to start picking up the plot threads once again!

To start with, since Nek keeps appearing in a Santa suit, it might be interesting to head over to Eterna with Linda and have a chat with Elizabeth about that.

This is actually an entirely optional scene, and it's pretty easy to miss, too! Namely, you will recall that we've been told that we're free to visit here whenever we want, but that she may be busy and not be able to meet us. So I ended up having to try going back and forth a few times, until finally she was available for a chat!

[ Ask about Nek. ] / Compliment her appearance. / Ask about Panheim.

As always, we want to go through all three of these, so let's start with the first.

Nek? You mean spelled like N-E-K? Wait a second...
Do you mean N-E-K-O, like a cat? That's an animal on this planet, right? I wonder where you could find one of those...

A joke here, but not one easy to translate into English. The point is that she is spelling it out from katakana into latin letters, but also the fact that "neko" means "cat" in Japanese. Whether she's just pretending to not get it, or if something else is afoot, we'll have to figure out later.

Let's move on to the next one.

Ask about Nek. / [ Compliment her appearance. ] / Ask about Panheim.
Oh, you're quite the flatterer, Ken!
But, your girlfriend Linda is younger and much more beautiful than me, don't you think. I'd love to have her stay for dinner one time! Listening to the fresh stories of young people makes me feel young at heart, too.

Ah, yes, that old story about how Elizabeth has managed to retain her looks even at an advanced age.

Ask about Nek. / Compliment her appearance. / [ Ask about Panheim. ]

I mean, I want you to come out of there right now!

And, as always, Panheim crawls out from under the table!

You summoned me, Madam Elizabeth?
Oh, hi Ken. I have quite a suitable present for you.

Ken receives from Dr. Panhein medication "Binbin A".

Hehe. It's a medication which helps with... "that". Please use it if you like, but just so you know, at the moment it still doesn't work on dogs.

This guy... keeps giving us different pills every time we visit! If you're wondering about the name "Binbin", it's one of those typical Japanese "onomatopeic" adjectives, this one describes something kind of strong or loud, like music or a headache. It is, also, a slang for "erection". Considering also, that the effect of using this item in battle is a random increase of all stats (same as the previous one we got), I think it's safe to say that he's trying to peddle variations on the Viagra pills if you ask me.

In any case, we're ready to go.

Please come again next time with Linda, too. I will be happy to welcome you!

Heading out, I think it's time to capture a few more species, don't you?

Over here in that big lake just south of Eterna, which is now not frozen because it's Summer, we can find...

...a bunch of hippos!

This is one of the designs which haven't changed a huge amount since the PC Engine version:

Incidentally, while wading through the lake, Ken receives a message notification. We'll sort that out in a moment, but first more hunting.

Here's another species which we can find in the lake...

This one is a bit more obvious (although I still think it looks awesome!). Of course, we have here a pair of turtles!

Nothing too unusual ability-wise, but definitely very high HP, so just need to be a bit careful there. In fact, we're probably a bit underleveled for these guys, especially Linda!

There is actually here one other species which we can find during the summer...

These are tree frogs. But as you can see on the screenshot, they are all males. In fact, in this general area of the northern lake, it's basically impossible to find any females. Both males and females appear in another location, so whenever it happens that we run into both sexes, we'll talk more about them. For now they are not of any use to us, as in order to hand them in at the ark, we have to have at least one male and one female.

In any case, we'll do some more hunting later today, but right now let's head back up to Eterna and listen to the new message!

The message is actually from a person we haven't had a chance to meet yet! Here it is:

Ken, do you remember my voice? It's Hume, Linda's father. Hey look, sorry to intrude on you like this, but any chance you could come and meet me down at the Junk Palace in Paraside? I would like to come and meet you myself, but I'm a bit stuck here at the moment...
Anyway, just come over. Sorry, all right? Hehehe.

Hmmm, the plot thickens. What does he want now?

Only one way to find out: we'll take the Bird Line to Paraside and talk to him. Paraside, as you might remember, is that half finished junk town. Notable things you can find there is the guy who "disassembles" animals, and also hunters for hire.

Here we are. Before we go and find Hume, we'll do the usual "tour of the town", which for Paraside we haven't had a chance to do yet!

To begin with, let's talk to this guy standing in front of the hotel.

The big building at the back is known as "Junk Palace". They built is so haphazardly that it's now like a maze in there, nobody can find their way in or out!

We have in fact already talked to this guy last time we came here! Let's head into the hotel.

There are not many customers today, so I can give you my full attention.

Well, ok, but we probably won't be staying either.

Next is the gentleman on the sofa.

A phantom beast who appears in a blizzard... that's an old Beastian legend. But it doesn't really matter, because it doesn't even snow in this area. Ah, but, that's right. The approach of the Grim Reaper meteorite is supposed to cause climate change and extreme weather--having it snow here is nothing compared to having rocks fall down from the sky.

This story about a phantom beast in a blizzard was definitely mentioned to us before... but, we have barely scratched the surface of this game, so we'll just have to be patient until we have a chance to get to the bottom of this.

In the end I decide to stay over just to fully refresh our HP and everything else. So here's where we're at right now:

As you can see, Linda is catching up pretty nicely. This is good as we'll be catching some relatively tougher animals later today.

For now, though, let's head to the butcher shop which is right next to the hotel.

When you want to make your own meat or equipment, you have to first make camp. Processing animals is not so easy that you can do it while walking.

So there will be some tutorial messages still here too. We mostly already know this stuff so I'll skip some of the less interesting ones. Now let's talk to the other guy here in the shop.

If you want to catch a male, the best time is autumn. If you want to catch a female, the best time is spring. If you want to look for eggs, it's also best to do it in the spring. If you want to find large groups of animals, do it in summer. If you want smaller groups, look for them in the winter. That's the basics of hunting.

Our next stop is the dog shop, which for some reason in this town has both a MAN and a DOG sign outside! We'll find out in a second why that is.

Starting with the person on the right...

They will spare no expense for an injured dog, but meanwhile won't give even 1G to their parents... there are a lot of people like that in this town. I wish I had become a veterinarian instead of a doctor for humans!

Ok, that's pretty funny. the "human" doctor is simply indicated with the "MAN" sign.

The other person here simply reminds us to bring here an injured dog so it can be fixed.

On the other side of the building, by the dog pen, there are two more people. First the woman standing by the sink...

When things get tough, the dogs may run away and hide on their own... they won't bother asking you for permission.

If dog is knocked out in battle (0 HP) then you have to bring them here to be healed, but usually at very low HP they will on their own run away and leave the battle. They will, however, be available again for the next one, so this is not a big issue. We have anyway already experienced that when fighting earthworms. There are some animals where you have to be a bit more careful about your dogs, but we'll see more on that topic next time!

The ranger standing there by the wall:

When you've been a hunter for a long time, it's a pleasure to find an insanely strong animal and to completely destroy it. This is because, while I'm fighting the animal, I can already imagine the insanely strong weapon that I can make out of it!

Outside of MAN/DOG shop, there's this person...

Let me teach you the most important things when fighting animals: think of your own survival as the most important thing! This should always be number one!

We continue our tour of the town with this person...

The hunters Hume and Gomez have a reputation of leaving the ecosystem completely altered after one of their hunts. All the animals worth any kind of money are gone! I'm pretty sure there are more than a couple of species that have been made extinct by them.

Well, we've heard this before about Hume. But who is this Gomez person now? Spoiler: we'll find out in just a few moments!

Back over here, there are also a couple of people sitting on pipes by the fire.

In the good old days, "Vigour II" was readily available... I was able to literally kill a crocodile in the water. Even if I was surrounded by wolves, I would not have expected to lose. Sure the side effects were scary, but still... those were the days.

This seems kind of inconsequential, but actually remember this comment for later (not today though)!

The other guy:

My wife is very calculating and seems to always completely change her personality when she gets pregnant...

Ok, enough of that, let's finally head inside, into the famous "Junk Palace", which is apparently built like a maze inside!

The first thing we find is an animal trader.

Where does he even catch them? The animals that Gomez brings are all priceless. If I could only get ahold of his secret hunting grounds, I would be able to earn at least 100,000 G in six months!

Yeah, this Gomez seems to be some kind of a celebrity around these parts...

The ranger standing there gives us another, pretty literal bit of tutorial:

The clothes made from an animal strong against fire will also be fire resistant--and the same goes for stuff like ice, electricity and physical attacks and others. The important thing to remember is that the reverse is also true, if the animal is weak against ice, so will be the clothes. When you equip it you will see the numbers in the corner--in short the closer the number is to 7, the safer you are. But if number is like 2, then you're in trouble.

Again, this is something we already know, the different "elemental" resistances shown on the screen where you equip the weapons and clothes.

Now let's talk to this lady here.

I really thought that Hume is a natural born hunter for hire, but it turns out he used to be a ranger. He says that he quit because salary was bad, but I've heard that he caused some trouble and ended up being discharged.

Does it have something to do with that performance enhancing drug that all hunters seem to be talking about as "good old days"?

And finally one last person in the immediate area.

To a human eye, all animals of the same species look almost the same. But if you look at them carefully, there might turn out to be a big difference in their attack and defence capabilities.

I still love it how this game always makes sure to give "in-world" explanations for its technical limitations, such as the fact that all animals of the same species use the exact same sprites, but might have a varying level which drives their HP, attack and defence!

Next we'll head up those stairs.

Here we have like a bar area. First let's talk to the guest sitting at the table.

There was a drug called "Vigour II" that was popular among hunters for hire some years ago. But it had terrible side effects, and some of them pretty much lost their minds from addiction. Once you try it, you can't stop--but that's to be expected when it almost doubles your attack power, even if just temporarily.

The waitress:

The guys on the third floor call themselves hunters for hire, but really they're just poachers. Of course they all have permits--forged, naturally. Although they actualy look better than the real ones!

After going past the bar, we'll take this staircase up to the third floor.

First, let's quickly chat with this person sitting on the bed...

When two people are in love and always together, it's the best. But Hume is a middle aged man who is still in love with his ex-wife. A bit pathetic, don't you think?

Turns out, Linda's parents are divorced!

Anyway, heading into the big room...

...this is actually where all the hunters for hire are hanging about! We'll talk to all of them in order, starting with the one standing next to the staircase!

I am Rodriguez, hunter for hire, and I operate around location T-10. We hunters for hire are all about information, so I have my own network. The elder upstairs is a genius hacker, so he's managed to hack into the secred Federation databases! I think he's a scary fellow who knows things you're better off not knowing.

So I decide to pay this guy 2000 G and see what we can get out of it.

Don't worry, my work is flawless! Meet me back here next winter!

We're told to come back in winter to find out the result of his hunt! Luckily, it's now summer, so winter is not too far away. Let's try to remember to stop by here at some point!

Next, let's talk to the guy standing by the table.

I am Antonio, hunter for hire and I operate around location D-10. You can only gain experience when you take on those which are as good as you, or better. In other words, if you are always bullying the weak, you will stay weak. But... I enjoy bullying the weak!

I hand over another 2000 G to this guy, and am told again to come back in winter. Let's see what he comes up with.

Next is the person leaning against the wall...

I'm Miguel, hunter for hire and I operate around location B-06. When you run away from an animal, the fewer you are the easier it will be to escape. Don't worry about dogs, though. They will take care of themselves.

This is actually kind of interesting, as escaping from a battle is not so easy in this game, since Ken has to first let Linda go and only then can he go himself! Of course, when he's on his own, then he can just escape directly.

Again I hand over another 2000 G to this guy too like the previous.

Finally the last one, standing by the counter.

I'm Toninho, hunter for hire and I operate around location G-02. Hume stopped hunting as soon as he'd heard that his daughter had joined the ark. But it's too late now... it's not like the animals he's driven to extinction will be coming back, will they?

This guy turns out to be a bit more expensive, so I hand over 5000 G. Let's see if it's going to be worth it.

With our hunters hired, let's now talk to the person standing in the centre of the room.

You have a portrait. Sure.

My friend Hume and I used to go to these secret hunting grounds... he's saved my life more than once!

Unfortunately, this guy is quite expensive, so I decide not to hire him at this time.

We'll exit this room through the southern door, which brings us over to this staircase:

The person on the bed there on the right is actually Hume, Linda's father. We'll be back here shortly, don't worry!

Down the stairs, there are a few more people to talk to, and also what seems to be a "mini-church" with that mysterious Beastian symbol.

First in this room, there are two people. The first person gives us a bit of (obvious) tutorial...

Those annoying monkeys are weak to fire, so give them a taste of the fire-breathing dragonfly cutter. When you swing it, it's somehow on fire. Rumour has it that many other animals can be made into such weapons.

Obviously, monsters with "elemental" affinity result in elemental weapons, but that's more situational really. Also, you have so many other tools at your disposal (including elemental abilities), that I'm not sure how useful this really is.

Anyway, the guy sitting on the bed has more interesting things to say...

That guy who is living upstairs, Hume, seems to be getting more and more depressed as the Grim Reaper approaches... According to the Federation's plan, if you're not a family member, chances are slim that you will end up repatriated on the same planet. Even if he tries, it will be impossible for him to see his ex-wife if they end up on planets many light years away...

In the room down here, there's another person.

When I first learned the camp skill, I was just happy to not have to pay for a hotel. But there are some stupid people who use the camps too easily and then end up raided during the night because they didn't keep watch. You get raided during the night and wake up in a river! So camping is more difficult than it seems.

Indeed, keeping watch is one of the things you can do during a camp, in addition to things like sleep, process meat and so on. Why this matters, we'll find out over the course of the game.

And one last person here, before we go and talk to Hume...

When you get hit by a normal attack, your defence is determined by the defensive power of your equipment. If you get hit by a weird attack, such as fire and ice, then the damage is dependent on the equipment's elemental resistances--the defence power doesn't come into play here.

I guess what he means that those separate numbers 1-7 are the ones which drive your resistance to elemental attacks. But, of course those are still not absolute numbers, and they do depend on the difference in levels between you and the enemy. It just means that you can have physical defence as high as you want, if your elemental resistance is low, then it's not going to help. So basically what is called magic defence in some other games here is split into several different stats, one for each type of "element".

Actually, I forgot this counter here, which is the hotel reception.

I'll tell you a secret about how much hunters for hire charge. Gomez is definitely out of your price range, but for others 3000-5000 G should be about enough. But you can also try to negotiate.

We mostly figured this one out on our own. And now for real, let's go and talk to Hume.

As mentioned, he's the somewhat large guy lying on bed in this room here.

I'm Linda's dad, Hume!
Ummm, and the young lady behind you... is she one of your comrades from the ranger corps?
Um, well... / [ Please take a better look! ]
Hey, hey, hey, it's Linda! What's with the outfit?
He he, it must have been Ben's idea, right? That sly fox still has some tricks up his sleeve! Hahahahahaha... oh, it hurts when I laugh! It sure brings back memories...
But, I have a reason why I called you here today. Actually, I'm the one who brought Linda to your house... I just didn't know what else to do. I was on my way to visit her in the hospital, but then I found this weird Santa with her, and...
...I managed to snatch her away from him, but got stabbed in the stomach and so that's how I ended up in this kind of sorry state.
Ahahahahaha... oh, ithurtsithurtsithurts!
Anyway, as soon as I'm mobile again, I'll come to your aid as much as I can... even it hurts a little bit! Until then, Ken, please take care of Linda for me!

And one last bit before we leave...

But you know what... you two really do make a great couple. And people who love each other should stay together always! Right? It's the best thing in the world!

Well, that was kind of funny, but it also explains how Linda managed to escape from Nek and get to Ken's house.

We'll catch up with him soon enough, but for now there are a couple more things to do around Paraside. (By the way, I just love that name "Paraside". It just fits with the overall vibe of the game.)

First of all, if we take that staircase next to Hume, we get to this room:

Here we find one of those Beastian priests/shamans, or whatever they are... Presumably this is the crazy hacker elder that was mentioned before, who broke into Federation's databases?

[ Right. ] / You've got the wrong guy...
That's right, the town mayor's... Well, you grew up, huh? Hahaha...

That was quite weird. But we need more information before we can figure out what he's talking about.

Now we'll make our way all the way back down to the first floor.

There we are faced with this individual.

Hey! You! This is not a passageway for you to use just like that! You have to pay me 100 G to get through, if you want to live!
Here's your 100 G... / [ Outta my way! ]
......!? Oh, I didn't recognise you! Please go on through! And feel free to come back any time!

And he let's us through! Well, I was never going to pay him 100 G, especially since you can get to that spot also from the other side of the building, but I thought it was just a random funny bit, in a game which, admittedly, has a fair few of those!

Anyway, here are the equipment shops, but all they have to offer are some fairly low-level tutorial comments, so we'll just walk past them.

I do want to stop by the bank before we move on, though.

It is said that animals often have items in their stomachs. Some of them are even hoarding gold! Although if you find clothes, or a hat, then it probably used to belong to some dumb hunter, or a tourist!

I don't forget to withdraw the money, especially since Ken again got another salary in the meantime.

I think I might have forgotten to mention this, but if you keep your money in the bank, it does in fact earn interest as you can see above (it's the 42 G payment). It's pretty small, only 3%, so it's not going to help you a whole lot, though. It is, like everything else in this game, paid once every season.

All right, now we can leave the Junk Palace. As we exit...

But other than that, he's exactly as I've imagined he would be. I hope he feels better soon.

Well, it was explained before that Linda is a child from a marriage of a human man and a Beastian woman, and she certainly seems to have taken her looks from her mothers side, so this is not too surprising.

Now, we have one last place to visit here... the animal disassembler!

So, today, we'll disassemble some of our extra hippos.

By disassembling a male hippo, we get the following items:
- some carrion (we'll need this soon!)

From a couple of female hippos, we get the following:
- ill fitting shoes
- torn clothes

But you might be wondering what even are these last two items? As the names might suggest, they are in fact pieces of equipment that you can wear. So if we try, for example, to equip the "ill fitting shoes" on Ken:

We find out that they give even lower stats than his starting "squirrel slippers". So, in the end, these are just useless items honestly (I guess they are supposed to be the remains of someone who was eaten by an animal), but there's a bit more here. All equipment/weapons in this game is strictly tied to a particular species of animal, right? They all have names like "<species_name> <equipment_name>". But these don't have such a name. So, what gives? Well, you can poke around the save file a bit and hack things in a bit, in order to find out how this was actually implemented in the game! Here, we'll continue with the update, but if you want to read a short bit about the technical side of how these items are implemented in the game, check out the "Extras" section at the end!

But for now, let's exit the shop...

There is a guy here, but he just collects donations. There IS in fact some consequence to donating the money, but again this is one of those things that we don't need to concern ourselves with just now.

In the mean time, on the back wall there are various graffiti and stuff. Like here:

|の の ゛
| も
| へ  /

Is that supposed to be a drawing of a cat? I'm not sure.

To those who know Masaki Ooki from from Amagasaki, Hyougo prefecture: I will be going to Kagoshima. Are you doing well, Masaki?

Well, these are all places in Japan, but of course there's no Japan in this game, since there's no Earth. I'm sure this is some kind of in-joke, but not sure what about. I looked through the credits and didn't see this name there. So your guess is as good as mine.

Anyway, more graffiti:

To you who is urinating right now at this wall here: don't forget that you're holding the future of humanity in your hands.

Also, warning: this game contains strong language (joking, but check out the left side of the wall!).

There's a Santa behind you!

Ok, that's the last (and the creepiest) one!

After having done this, we do have time to do a bit more hunting, which will also allow me to demonstrate another game mechanic at the same time. I think this species is worth catching because it's one of the more ridiculous animal designs!

But anyway, in order to catch it, we do need to descend into an underground dungeon. We could of course take the Bird Line to the nearest town and then walk over there. But if you have lots of money, why walk? You might remember that the Bird Line also offers another service, which allows you to be dropped off (and picked up) anywhere on the map, within the current area! The location I want is actually in the West Area, so we first need to travel to a town there. So let's pick Battle Park, it's as good as any.

Once there, if we go to the Bird Line counter, and select the Shoot Service...

...we are literally presented with the map, where we can freely chose which coordinate we wish to be dropped off at! We'll be going to C-12, which I've already highlighted. As you can see, you can only select a coordinate within the current area, hence the need to first travel to Battle Park, since Paraside is in the East area.

And just like that, we're dropped off at that exact spot!

You might already notice the cave entrance on the mountainside in the top left corner, and in fact that's where we're headed! Let's have a brief look at another dungeon and increase our species count by 1 at the same time!

This place is called Urma and, as before, we are not going to explore too deeply at this particular time, we are mostly here to catch a few animals of a cool loking species!

Walking through the cave, we soon run into some creatures... maybe you already have an idea what species this is?

Up close, we can easily(?) tell that this is simply a pair of tigers. I mean what else could they be, they have the orange and black stripes, right? But seriously, please don't ask me to try and explain what in the world is going on with their anatomy! But I have to say, this is probably my favourite design of all the species we've seen so far!

So these guys are kind of tough, they have strong attack and defence and also their HP is nothing to sneeze at (high defence unfortunately also means that our dogs won't be doing much damage to them)--although strangely they don't have otherwise much in the way of abilities, they mostly rely on brute strength. So you do need to be careful. Luckily they only appear in small groups of 1-3 animals typically, which makes them perfect candidates to use Linda's "Cobra Twist" skill. Basically she will hold one enemy in a "wrestling chokehold" so that they are unable to act. Obviously, Linda is also unable to act during this time, but it does leave Ken able to deal with other 1-2 enemies in the meantime, while our party takes overall less damage than it otherwise would. This is especially useful right now, when Linda is at a lower level and can't deal as much damage, nor does she have a "all-hit" weapon. I haven't found a definitive info, but basically the chokehold status lasts all the way until the enemy is defeated. Of course, Ken will also be mostly transforming into a dolphin, for a huge increase in damage--with these guys you really do need as much power as you can get. Because I forgot to mention that tigers can also heal and buff themselves. Also they can and do dodge our attacks, too. Yeah.

You might notice also the high price they sell for--this is because of the protected animal designation, therefore the normal animal dealers won't buy them. We'll have to see if we find someone who will.

Incidentally, here's what the tigers used to look like in the PC Engine version:

You will probably agree with me that this definitely one of the cases where better resolution and colour depth of the PlayStation console has resulted in a much improved look!

Anyway, as we walk through the cave, we go past a staricase in order to open a chest (or in this case a crate!).

Ken found Champions Belt!

This is another of those battle arena items that can be sold to that guy in Battle Park who never seems to actually be there. I have been checking, believe me, but so far no luck! After this we can head down the stairs.

Another staircase up...

And another crate... but this one unfortunately contains no items, only tigers. Like in older Final Fantasy games, it just triggers a battle. But unlike those games, enemies in this one drop neither items nor money when defeated, you only earn EXP.

And, as always, as we are wandering around this cave, Ken gets a message notification! It's time to exit this dungeon!

Before we exit, I thought I should show you this... Like on the overworld, our navigation device works in dungeons too--it actually shows us the map of the current floor/area of the dungeon we're in! That's pretty wild, actually. Ok, now let's exit.

Here I activate that rescue beacon I bought last time...

...get picked up by a bird...

...and finally we get dropped of directly in Battle Park, where we started from! That's pretty convenient, I have to say!

Before we finish our journey for today, let's just listen to that message!

The message is from Nek!

Hey bro! It's me! M-E! I want to introduce you to some of my friends! Let's all play a game and have some fun, yeah? The prize for the game is a real deal: the medicine which will restore Linda's memory! That's pretty good, right? The venue is Koshikata, and you're my only brother in the world, so I hope you'll come, ok?

So, there's our next plot pointer!

Before we finish, here is where our characters are right now:

As you can see, Linda has completely caught up in levels and also while she was leveling up in that cave she also learned the ability to tame wolves and also dolphins, which means that both of those species can now become members of our party in those two extra slots!

That's about it for today, and if you're interested, please keep reading to get some more info about those weird useless weapons and equipment we found earlier.

So, here's a bit more detail about those items. I mentioned that in general all weapons and clothes are tied to a particular animal species, so the question was which exact species do these items belong to.

Turns out, none that you can actually catch in the game, but by some clever hacking of a save file, we can find out that there is actually a partially implemented "human" species in the game:

On the screenshot above, we see in Ken's TransCargo backpack 7 human males and 4 females!

You can even bring to the animal trader, and try to sell them--but they sell for exactly 0 G!

Like any species, they can also be transformed into meat. It costs 0 G to do so.

And, finally, like any other species they can also be transformed into weapons. In this case the weapon you get is called "Bone Remains".

Also, they can be transformed into equipment too--these are the items we've already seen earlier: "Torn Clothes", "Tattered Cap" and "Ill-fitting Shoes".

As you can see, both the weapons and clothes have terrible stats.

So this is kind of interesting, because there's definitely no capturing humans, processing them into meat or anything like that in the game itself (neither in the remake nor in the PC Engine original), so it's not clear why this is all even implemented, unless they had to do it to be able to have those equipment items in the game in the first place--it may not have been possible to have a "just a weapon" without it needing to be tied to a particular species.

But in any case, there it is.

The first illustration for today is actually the same one that we already saw last time in PC Engine version--but the illustrator actually did another version in the PlayStation era:

And then we also have some concept art of Hume:

ivantod fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 5, 2021

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

ivantod posted:

In the mean time, on the back wall there are various graffiti and stuff. Like here:

|の の ゛
| も
| へ  /

So, weirdly, I know what this is somehow. It's Henohenomoheji. From what I understand, it's kinda just a goofy face. I don't know if it's got any long history like "Kilroy was here", but there it is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Having to hunt humans would definitely make this game go in a way darker direction than it has so far. I have to wonder if it was ever properly planned, maybe for a Nek route where Ken just breaks down hard and decides to follow his insane brother or something.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Odd Wilson posted:

So, weirdly, I know what this is somehow. It's Henohenomoheji. From what I understand, it's kinda just a goofy face. I don't know if it's got any long history like "Kilroy was here", but there it is.

Huh, I had no idea, that's pretty intesting, thanks!

I guess they had to simplify it a bit in the game since there is only three rows of text available in the text box.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

The designs are growing on me, I immediately guessed tiger on the tiger.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Does the japanese make it clear if his name is Hoo May or Hyoom?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Does the japanese make it clear if his name is Hoo May or Hyoom?

If you mean how it's spelled in Japanese, then it's: ヒューム (Hyuu-mu).

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

How nice of Nek to point us to the next plot beat!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

PC engine: Tiger-beetle.
Playstation: Tiger-Spider.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So is Elizabeth's last name actually Bathory...?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Last time, Ken and Linda explored Paraside for a bit and then checked in with her fathere, Hume, who seems not to be doing too well, especially as he's still quite hung up on his ex-wife, Linda's mother. After that, some tigers were caught for our collection, and then Ken got a message from Nek to meet him in Koshikata, for a little "game" in Koshikata, as he put it.

After tiger hunting, we used the Bird Line pickup and so were returned exactly at the place we started from, which is Battle Park.

And so, here we are. Nothing else to do, but head over to Koshikata, and luckily, Battle Park is actually the closest town to it (yes, I planned this!).

As before, to reach Koshikata, we'll simply take the western tunnel out of Battle Park.

You might remember that there is a "Rent-A-Animal" office at the other end of the tunnel. But this person here has something intersting to say!

If you have some rotten meat with you, better throw it our because hyenas will smell it and be very happy to see you. They don't care if your heart is rotten or not, but they do care for rotten meat!

In fact, I do have some rotten meat which I got last time from disassembling hippos, but I'm definitely not throwing it away since I actually want to attract hyenas so I could capture them. Hyenas do indeed only appear when you carry rotten meat on you, so it seems that the ones from Neo-Kenya are also the scavenger kind of sort.

Before we head out, just one thing. Someone commented previously how on the menu screen the characters are making a pose:

Actually, if you press R1 or L1 button on the controller, you can change the display so you can get a look at the portraits in their full glory, like so:

So that's pretty cool (in a game full of fun/cool little touches literally everywhere!). Oh, in case you are wondering why I suddenly have more money than last time, it's because the dude in Battle Park finally decided to show up and buy my Champions Belt for 10,000G!

Anyway, let's head out and capture a few hyenas while we walk to Koshikata.

If you have carrion with you, they will even come to you, no need to chase!

Hilarious. They usually show up in very large groups, so it's not uncommon to encounter 10 or more of them in one battle. If you look carefully at the bottom right battlefield display on the screenshot above, you can see that I have indeed encountered 10 of them here.

They can be a little bit of a problem to capture, actually, but not because they are particularly strong--if anything, it's the opposite. They are quite weak, and it can be a bit difficult to not "overkill" them at the level that we are. In addition, as soon as one of them suffers a lot of damage, most of the others will immediately run away. Hence the fact that they come in groups 10+ doesn't actually matter because after 1-2 turns most of them will run away anyway.

Therefore I employ the following tactic: transform Ken into a rat (which lowers his attack, but greatly increases speed) and then use one of the elmental abilities that hyenas are not weak to (e.g. gale cutter). In this way, you should be able to lower your damage enough to the point that you can actually capture them--it may still take a couple of tries to do this without them running away, but it's not too bad. Note also that I have temporarily removed dogs from the party, because they definitely do too much damage at this point and I can't really control it.

Anyway, with this done, we can proceed to Koshikata, the abandoned Beastian town (whose mayor it seems, was Ken and Nek's actual father).

Here we are. I should probably mention that "koshikata" in Japanese means "past", both in the sense of time and also in the sense of a place that you went past.

Let's head in--by the way, you might want to remember to put the dogs back in your active party at this point.

The place certainly looks abandoned. But our gaze is drawn to the left...

...where we have one of those elaborate Beastian churches...

...on top of whose bell tower, there seems to be a Santa, waiting for us. Well, let's head inside and find him, since that's clearly Nek.

There are some wolves roaming around, but they don't attack us, so that's good.

So we'll start going up to the bell tower.

Man, what IS it with this game and chests?

Anyway, we're heading up.

And up, while desperately trying to not pay attention to that chest there...

And after a few more steps, finally we reach the place where Nek is standing:

This is where we were born, and quickly abandoned!
So, brother! Let's make up today for all the times we couldn't play together as kids! Let's play a game! The prize will be one year's supply of medicine needed to restore Linda's memories!
The rules are simple! We'll just play a game of tag, and my friends will be the taggers!

His "friends"? He can't possibly be talking about... wolves?

Your task is to make it to this town's main gate and you win! The taggers won't chase you until the bell has rung three times! So make the best of it while you can!

He goes away.

Yes, Linda, but now we need to go!

We go back the way we came, but by the time we're down from the bell tower, the three bells have rung, and...

...wolves are no longer docile.

But that's totally ok! It gives us a chance to collect another species on our way to 30!

There's honestly not that much to say here. They are pretty easy at the level we are, and I really haven't been doing any grinding--it's really not ever necessary or even really useful in this game, as we already know. The wolves can buff themselves and all that, but still they don't pose a huge threat. One last interesting thing to note is that, not unexpectedly, they have mostly the same abilities as dogs.

Getting to the ground floor, probably the easiest way is to go around the back

...and finally take a side exit!

We make our way to the main entrance... only to be confronted by Nek, again.

Well, let's give you your prize!
But before that... little Linda, what do we say? Say thank you properly!
Thank you... Ken...

Linda sounds quite listless here... She moves over to Nek's side.

Of course, that doesn't generally work so well, so I supplement it by drugs. It's just more reliable.
But, brother! You do not need to worry! I am a man of my word! I'll make sure she takes her medicine regularly!
Ahahahaha! Wait, what? What kind of look is that on your face right now? Oh, I see! You want to keep playing, don't you?
[ It's my turn now to be the tagger! ]/ I've had enough with you!
Looks like my friends also still want to play with you! Be nice to each other, all right!
Well then, brother! I wish you a very merry Christmas!

He and Linda exit the stage...

...and Ken quickly finds himself surrounded by dogs! However shall we get out of this one?

No problem, because help appears just in the nick of time:

Huh, that son of a bitch Santa's got Linda again! I see.
Hahahaha.... oh ithurtsithurts!
If he took her, we can take her back! Let's go, Ken! Come on!
Um... by the way, Ken... which way are we going again?

Well, ok. Let's stop for a second and see where we are.

Clearly we've lost Linda again, but we do now have Hume in our party:

Or like this, if you want to take a look at the picture properly:

So he has fixed stats that you see there, doesn't level up, and you can't change his equipment either, and also he has no BP and therefore no special abilities that he can use--therefore, brute force attacks are his thing. Luckily he's pretty much at the level where we need him to be and also has relatively higher HP for his level (but he's a pretty large fellow so that's not unexpected anyway). So we should be able to make do temporarily, until we recover Linda, at least.

All right, well, there's nothing really to be done here any more, so let's at least make our way back to Battle Park and regroup there.

On the way back, Ken gets a message notification! We'll check that shortly.

Let's hear the message. It's from Ben!

It's me! How is Linda? She's remembered something by now, right? Anyway, I need you to come back for a bit! As commander, it's my duty to hear the reports of my team and to make plans for the future! Also, I don't like to say it, but your mum is worried about you and can't sleep!
This is an order! Come home as soon as you can! After you've reassured your mother, report to me at the HQ immediately! That is all!

All right, let's head back to Hardia, it has been a while! As usual we'll take the mountain tunnel southeast of Battle park...

...which drops us off just a bit north of Hardia and the ark. So, let's visit Ken's mum first!

After proclaiming, "I'm going to make Linda my bride!" now you're already bringing the bride's father? I mean, I don't mind, but I think that Santa look doesn't really become you.
Also... I guess it must be a fad or something, but I don't think it's nice to be dragging Linda around with a collar and chain...

Nek is pretty crazy, huh? But also, on this topic check out at the end the concept art section!

I don't feel we were particulary reassuring there... but nonethless, time is of the essence so we head to the Ranger HQ next to talk to Ben.

I hate to have to get to business immediately, but Linda's been kidnapped again!
Kidnapped? Why aren't you doing anything about it, she's your daughter?
That's why I came here to seek your wisdom! I'm sure you have a few tricks up your sleeve, right? You'll help me for old times' sake, right?
Or, hmmm.... you haven't run out of ideas, have you?
You damned... of course I haven't!
There we go, there we go! That's the commander Ben I know and respect!
So, what shall we do about this Nek? Tell us, don't be shy, ok?
Take this with you.

Commander gives Ken a radio-receiver.

Of course, the unform I gave to Linda also has one. The receiver I just gave you has a disadvantage that it can only be used outdoors, but it should help a little bit at least.
I see you're still as well prepared as always. Almost as if you knew that...
Huh. I see how it is... You really are a clever bastard! And to think that I was about to say thank you!

You know what, let's just go.

But we get stopped.

I'll be right behind you, as soon as I organise a team here. Try not to get into trouble in the meantime!
Forget it! I'm sure Ken and I are perfectly capable of rescuing her ourselves! That is to say, I won't be holding my breath, but if you want, you're welcome to join us when you can.
Ben... Sorry, maybe I said a bit too much just now. Let's just forget it.

But we get stopped.

Maybe when this is all over, I can try to help you two reconcile?
I appreciate that, but... I think it's too late for the two of us at this point. But Ann will always remain close to my heart. That's good enough for me right now.
Well, it's none of my business. If that's what you want, I won't say another word.

Not having any other ideas right now, we'll just head out and see what the receiver will tell us.

In order to use the receiver...

...we just go to the item menu and use it as any other normal item.

It shows us the world map like this:

The position of Linda (and Nek) is indicated by a small circle.

Curiously, as you can see, currently the circle is pointing at the ark itself! So I guess let's go there and see?

Oh, there they are!

Hey bro! I decided to give it a little try and it turns out that the control room door can be also opened with mine and Linda's handprint.

I mean, if they're twins, that makes sense sort of.

So, I guess I decided I might as well try flying this thing around a bit!
Ready for lauch!
Huh, I guess I always wanted to be able to say that.

Nek and Linda go inside.

COURSE SET! WARP NINE! ENGAGE!

Uh, now what?

Well, I know that we should be chasing Nek down, buuuuuuuuuuuut... there's also another place we could pay a quick visit to.

Obviously we're going to go and see Elizabeth again. The following scene is, like last time, entirely optional. Also like last time, it might take a few tries until she actually decides to see you.

Anyway, here we go, hold on to your hats!

It really hasn't been that long, actually. But ok.

[ Ask about Nek. ] / Ask about her age. / Ask about Panheim.
Nek? Spelled as N-E-K, right? Let me see...
Oh, I know. It's just exactly the same as you. Like a mirror image! Because KEN is NEK in reverse! So it's just another one of you, right?

I'm pretty sure she's just playing dumb.

Ask about Nek. / [ Ask about her age. ] / Ask about Panheim.
Ah! That's quite brave of you to ask a woman her age! Well, how old do I look to you?
20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50 / 55 / 60 / [ 65 ]

Let's see what happens now!

Ha! Good intution there! It seems you have a lot of experience with women for someone so young!

And the last thing...

Ask about Nek. / Ask about her age. / [ Ask about Panheim. ]

Uh, ok, I guess let's leave.

I've heard there's a new theory around that the ark is simply supposed to be travelling zoo of an alien civilisation. So you might also end up being turned into a stuffed animal when you board the ark. Sorry.

Like I said, now that we've done this, let's head all the way outside and check our receiver:

So, it looks like Nek and Linda are now in Ozport. Is he using the ark to make a tour of this planet, or what is going on here? Well, anyway, let's head to Ozport--I mean it makes sense, there's a wedding shop there.

First, let's check out the park again.

This lady has something new to say...

Hey, didn't you just erase someone else's name here and carved in your own? Well done, Nek!

Ah, we better check the tree, then!

Ken examined the bark of the Red Thread Cedar tree. Inside a 🎔, he found Nek and Linda's name written together.

[ Put Ken's name back. ] / Leave as is.

Ken erased Nek's name and put back his own!

Ok, now that we've fixed that, let's check out the situation at the wedding shop.

As we enter, we are immediately approached by someone.

Ah! Are you perhaps Ken?
That Santa fellow who was just buying a bridal gown here asked me to give you a message! The message is: "Make sure you come to the wedding!"

Ugh. Now he's just trolling us.

Well, anyway, I know we're in a kind of a rush, but still, there's a couple of new people here that are worth talking to!

Like this older gentleman here.

My dream is to see people living in my native Koshikata again, even it's only for one year. I've been buying lottery tickets for the last 10 years to help me achieve that goal, but so far I've only managed to win the third prize!

This statement sounds entirely inconsequential, however I would suggest remembering it for the future!

Also, this guy down in the casino/night club area.

They announced that the reason the South Area was closed off is because of raidoactive contamination caused by the satellite crash. But I've heard a rumour that it wasn't an accident, but instead a nuclear missile was used to make sure one particular persopn was eliminate!

Uh, wow. I hope not.

But in any case, it seems that Linda and Nek are no longer here, so let's go outside and check our receiver again.

Hmmm... The little circle now indicates around coordinates S-09, but this is right in the middle of a mountain range. Also, the location is not known on our places list on the right hand side of the display either. What could it possibly be?

Let's head over there to check.

Getting there, there does seem to be something there in the mountains, but more importantly, a cave entrance which we can assume leads to it! Let's head into the cave, then.

This particular location is called Nebul Road.

It features enemies like crabs and squids, which we do not care about at all at this point.

If we take the northern route, we get to this staircase.

It only leads to another staircase up.

This one leads to a tent.

I heard there's a town called Nebul somewhere around here. I've found some kind of a structure two floors up, but there doesn't seem to be any way in that I can see.

Hm, ok. if we take two floors up from here...

...we ultimately arrive this wall here. And also one floor up...

...is this weird structure. But, as the man said, there seems to be no way in, or anything else that can be done.

So, we have no option but to return to where we came from.

This time, we'll take the southern route, and then immdeiately go down a staircase.

Proceeding eastwards, we run into something chilling in a pool of water. It is not a species we've seen before, so let's check it out.

Ah, but of course. It's just some "entrails".

Er... so, uh yeah. Well, anyway. They are actually pretty weak, so the same strategy applies like with hyenas: remove dogs from your party and reduce your attack as much as possible, and you'll manage to capture a few! Also, Hume should not attack the females, since they are even weaker than males.

Oh, and I know what you're thinking. How crazy must these have looked in the PC Engine version, right?

Turns out, they looked exactly the same:

Well, anyway.

After finishing that, we take another staircase down.

Then we head back west, passing by a crate which contains "entrail clothes". That's certainly an item you can equip (but we won't as it's slightly worse than what we currently use)!

We'll take a turn south to a staircase leading up.

We head again east from there...

And again up, at the end of the hallway.

From there we go through a doorway, which this time is open. This takes us into the "secret town" of Nebul! Before we leave, I should mention that there is actually one other species you can find in the caves, namely the crocodile, but I guess we didn't come across them this time!

There seems to be a system of bridges over that muck (whatever that is), but first, we'll talk to the person here. Also, yes, the auction house is another game mechanic. Some species of animals can also be obtained that way, and we will visit over the course of the game.

If there are people who will buy it, we will sell it! Nebul is a kind of a town where the very basics of economy are given practical application.

One of the tents is empty, but in the other...

If you take the east exit, you'll find a big cave called "The Dai Cave" at location U-10. At the end of the cave, you will find a place where flowers grow in large clusters. In the spring and autumn, you can find some rare flowers that have medicinal properties.

We should add this to our "later" list. Also, "dai" literally means "big" in Japanese.

Leaving the tent, we head across the bridge to where there appear to be some structures submerged in this muck.

Most structures actually seem to have an entrance on the roof! What a weird setup.

First, we talk to this guy here.

Friendship, youth, love, courage... there are some things that money can't buy. But this town shows us that those things are just a small number of exceptions and that the money can buy most everything else!

Back south across the small bridge, we'll take the stairs down into the hotel.

Here, as always, we can disturb the guests:

There are many poor people who are happy and many rich people who are not so happy. This is all true, but relatively speaking, a much bigger percentage of rich people are among the happy ones!

Walking past the reception, we take the stairs down...

Here we can talk to this guy...

I wonder if there is anyone out there who would consider me as a Grade A Protected Person and take care of me... I guess not.

If we climb back out of the hotel and cross the bridge to the left...

...there is a woman on the bench here.

In your animal guide, you might have noticed letters such as C or F or B beside the picture of the animal. I'll tell you what those mean. Letter A means that it's a Class A protected animal, which means that the government has banned them from being bought or sold. But in this town, they are the best selling product! If you see animals marked with G or H, just forget about those.

So, finally here we are. I guess we've found a place where it's possible to trade in some forbidden goods!

Taking the bridge south from there, we can enter the bar.

First, we can talk to the waitress...

Quite a lot of customers in this town are actually from the ranger corps. They come here to sell the Class A animals that they bullied the poachers into giving up to them. It's ridiculous.

And then the gentleman sitting at the table.

Killing an animal just to taste the meat, even when you're not hungry--that's the human way of doing things. It's why we ended up coming to this useless planet at the far edge of the galaxy, too.

Don't forget that the general population is not aware of the human "life-force" issue, so they don't know that this planet is an experiment of sorts!

Leaving the bar, we'll now take the staircase next to the bench lady.

We reach an area where all the equipment, meat, etc. shops are. We'll start by talking to the woman standing by the sinks.

When I was a kid, I first saw the picture books of animals of Neo-Kenya. They are not related to those on earth, even when they have the same names. There are a few that look similar, but the way most of them are named, you really wonder what they were thinking they gave them the names.

Well, I'm not entirely sure about the "unrelated" part, but we'll see.

We continue our tour by talking to the gentleman in blue here.

The law limits the number of hunting dogs a hunter can register to a maximum of 32 during their lifetime. People who get a dog only to immediately get tired of it and throw it away are not qualified to own dogs! By the way, you can also divorce up to 32 times in Neo-Kenya. So I'm still good for 18 times, personally.

The animal trader next to him:

The animal protection treaty is a brain child of a person who's stomach is so full that they can't stop burping. They don't seem to realise there are many more people who live hand to mouth!

We can also talk to this person in white shirt, who's made his way to us in the meantime.

There are people who make the rules, and then there are people who break the rules. It's what I call the "self-cleansing" process of a healthy society. Anyway, here all animals are equal! You can buy and sell regardless of protection designation!

Here is the animal disassembler:

No person in their right mind would think it a good idea to disassemble a Class A animal, but... when people have too much money, it's hard to stay same. So that's why I'm here!

Our next stop is the equipment shop.

You're an amateur if you think you don't need the shop any more after you learn to make your own equipment. The ones that call themselves professionals, will keep an eye our for the occasional rarity or bargain in the shops!

Ok, I guess we will do that.

In the mean time, I buy two crocodile caps, for a bit of extra defence. One is equipped immediately on Ken:

It gives a very slight defence increase.

Next is the bank:

When you're in town, money is your best weapon. But when you're out in the open, a million G note is not even as good as a rabbit knife. Common sense on this planet is difficult for us bankers to grasp!

Rabbit knife being of course one of the weakest weapons around.

There is one last person to talk to, and they are over here.

With our famous "Trap Rental" service, you can safely capture dangerous animals! The days of having to chase them and risk your life to catch them are gone! You have to be smart about life, and traps are the biggest new trend! With our rental traps, even children can catch animals!

Cool. But also, if you thought we've see all you can do in this game, I guess you were wrong. Because here is yet another thing. And we will, just not today.

We're mostly done exploring, so we'll now take this lift up. Yes, you do have to push the button yourself to call it!

It takes us here, to an area looking suspiciously like a typical town entrance/exit. And indeed, if we go upstairs...

...we reach the expected bird line service desk! And there are also Nek and Linda (apparently in her wedding clothes)! But before we can do anything...

...they get on the pad and disappear as a bird picks them up. Well, drat.

Ugh, I guess we'll have to check our receiver somewhere again. Bird Line has a somewhat more reduced amount of locations you can go to from here, but the cheapest one is Ozport, so let's go back there for now.

Outside, we check the receiver:

Here we can see that the circle is indicating Paraside, so we'll head there.

Indeed, the ark really is here.

Inside, we can talk to this person here.

Hume! Your daughter was just here! It's been a while since I've seen her, but she seemed very pale looking. Also, she was wearing a wedding dress over her ranger uniform! Is that some kind of a new trend?

It seems we've just missed them again...

Let's head back out.

Indeed, the ark really is gone. So, well, nothing else to do but check the receiver once again.

This time, the circle is definitely pointing to Eterna--to no one's surprise. I think we may be nearing the end of this particular chase. Obviously we head straight there.

As we arrive, Hume has something to say.

It feels less like Christmas and more like climbing the Golgotha hill.

As we proceed, Hume takes Ken to the side.

They head back behind a building, and after a few seconds...

...come back out disguised as two Santas! I guess they must have beat up a couple of people and stole their clothes!

Just as we are in front of the door, Hume stops us yet again.

You go in from the front, and I'll go in from the right! If it works, we'll have them in a pincer, but even if it doesn't it makes it more likely that one of us will survive. In the meantime, remember, our first priority is to protect Linda! All right, I'll see you soon!

And he leaves to go around the right side, leaving Ken on his own. Let's finally head inside.

Inside we find that a door is open, which wasn't open before! If we go in...

...we find that it's some kind of a lab, with what seems to be a bunch of female corpses preserved in some pods or whatever those are. Over on the left...

...the whole gang is here! Including Linda, who appears to be sitting on the floor.

When you're wearing that outfit, I'm sure the angels will come for you from heaven, even if it is your own brother who kills you.
You don't need to worry about Linda, though! She'll be safe with me... forever!

It's been a while, so it's definitely time for another cutscene!

Well, that explains a lot, and specifically a thing which was mentioned long ago about corpses of Beastian women getting stolen from the hospital morgue. Also, those who were wondering if her last name might really be Báthory, I guess you had a bit of a point. Although in the case of real Elizabeth Báthory, a 16/17th-century Hungarian noblewoman who was accused of killing virgin girls and bathing in their blood in order to prolong her youth, the accusations were never actually proven and it may all have been just a deliberate conspiracy against her, as she at the time owned much of the territory that is today Hungary, so she had a lot of enemies.

In any case, as for our Elizabeth, we've now seen her true form, and also she's dead. So we don't need to worry about that for the moment and should focus on freeing Linda from Nek.

Come on, bro, follow me. But you know, I really think Linda and I will get along just fine!

He takes Linda with him and runs up the stairs.

I guess we should follow, sooner rather than later.

But we'll leave that for next time, which will incidentally also be the final part of Scenario A! Although, if you were keeping count, you will remember that we're still at only 29 species, including those we haven't handed in. So, there's still some more work to be done on that topic, and who knows what else might happen anyway.

In the meantime, enjoy some illustrations!

Today we have a couple of drawings related to the current Nek/Linda situation!

This first one seems like a cutscene storyboard which wasn't used, or something like that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, the Elizabeth plot sure ended rather awkwardly, even the knife stab looked weird. But hey, at least Nek only makes himself more punchable every update. I'm not surprised at all he's the final boss of the route, though I am surprised at how unimportant Linda was as a party member considering her name is in the title. I hope the other routes are better with her instead of making her mostly a damsel in distress.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

...Wait, "Mother"? What on earth? Did I miss something?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Bloodly posted:

Watch the cutscene.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Bloodly posted:

So, near as I gather, the mayor of the one town and Mrs Vampire had an affair and she birthed two kids. One was put up for adoption and the other... actually, New was probably raised by her, considering how crazy they both seem.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well, at least the ark works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Well, at least the ark works!

At least in atmosphere, no info on how it performs in space.