Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The whole vibe of this game feels very "90s OAV series that got chopped up and recut as a single 96 minute film that aired on SciFi Channel's Saturday morning anime block"

quote:

Everything that happened after this image had me going "Nope don't like that one bit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the game's structure so far. On one hand, stuff like "Come back at level 5" and "It should be ready by the time you go visit Linda again" is refreshingly transparent, but on the other the "Go level up while we devise a treatment plan for Linda/Go level up while you wait for my employee to call you/Go visit Linda again while I get the medicine ready" story beats are a little weak given how otherwise intriguing the setting is. Though I guess that's fixing to change.

It's otherwise a really interesting game and I'm glad you're taking the time to do this.

Odd Wilson posted:

Also, fleas. Of all the creatures to bring on an ark, you're intentionally bringing fleas with you too? I guess Neo-Kenyan flea burgers are a delicacy or something, and that warrants bringing them.

Honestly from how most of the animals in this game look perhaps we should just set the ark on fire.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Incredible that this is going from a Pokemon-via-OG-Phantasy Star-Tetralogy to a proto-Phoenix Wright.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I like that Linda herself is kind of a violence gremlin.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Listen, they had to balance out the Entrails somehow.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus.

Also the original ending cutscene is very, uh.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Linda's mom survive a storyline challenge.

I think it's interesting that this game was doing the Time Loop (?)/Alternate Reality narrative stuff that became so popular in visual novels over the past 15 years back in the 90s.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

1) Every single image of Sachiko seems to convey an entirely different personality: Her dialogue portrait looks dead inside, the full screen art of her makes her look like a normal person who is uncomfortable in the costume they're wearing, and her status menu portrait makes her look smug and haughty. ("Dead inside" seems to be her actual personality)

2) This is gonna be the weirdest episode of Murder, She Wrote ever.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

AltaBrown posted:

Why bug assassin got a tiddy?

Why do the camels have tiddies and ballsacks for humps, life finds a way/Neo Kenya is a land of contrasts/etc

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I guess it would be pretty funny if the Puppet Master turns out to be some rando and has nothing to do with Emory and Sachiko

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Parasites that turn people in zombies? This is just like critically reviewed 200x Xbox360 title Dead Rising.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I think we should call the cops on Doctor Emory and also his medical license should be revoked.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Queen of Enforcing Consent

Also someone needs to tell Dr. Hitler that "monster scientist pops up again right at the end after seemingly being defeated" was supposed to happen in the Evil Pharmaceutical Company plotline. It's like he's never even played a Resident Evil title.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It's always a delight when a stock physical comedy gag gets treated seriously, especially when the game has previously used similar physical comedy gags.

I am a little sad to find out there's not really a storyline for this scenario, but I guess there's still a lot of Stuff That Was Only Hinted About Before that we'll finally see some elaboration on, and hopefully this means Linda's mother won't die horrifically (again). And of course, lots of new pokemons to catch.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

wtf is the deal with the bananas

they're nature's silent killer.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

they are full of delicious nutrients :)

I like bananas, they're cheap and easy to eat.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Kind of iconic that all these randos are asking Ken to do side quests for them because they know the hosed up wildlife of Neo Kenya isn't worth preserving.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Lotta Yonic Energy in Dark River, huh.

quote:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

What if her maiden name in scenario C was "Cube"

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ivantod posted:

Honestly, it's a seriously cool game (and even ahead of its time in some ways), and it's really a massive shame that there was never any effort to release it in the West. I mean, we ultimately got even stuff like Moon: Remix many years later, but nobody seems interested to bring this one over even though it remains popular in Japan. Shoji Masuda was responsible for some really good games back in 1990s, like this one, then Tengai Makyou II and also the original Oreshika, but all of them seem to be destined to remain Japan-only despite a good amount of fan interest. :(

It's a real shame that neither the original Oreshika or the PSP remake got brought over and the sequel was released with barely any acknowledgement from Sony's US branch.

(I didn't realize the same person was responsible for both Oreshika and Linda Cube, but I guess given the, uh, distinctive tone of the animated scenes in both games it makes a lot of sense)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Again, call me controversial yet brave, but I'm on Hashtag Team Reaper. The animals of Neo Kenya are nightmare creations and should not be allowed to spread across the universe.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

curiousCat posted:

I can't believe you snuck that past us. There's MORE?

also: wow 12 kids

Ken wasn't put in charge of setting up the evacuation because his pull out game is weak.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It's the principle of the thing.