Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Oh hells yes! I've been fascinated by this game ever since I saw a compilation of some of the cutscenes in the game (probably most people's first exposure to the game, and I bet you know exactly the one I mean). From what little I know of it, this game is gonna loving go places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Randalor posted:

Im intrigued to see what this game has in store. Also, what God has as a backup plan when Linda inevitably kills Ken.

"LINDA. LINDA, I AM THE LORD, THY GOD

LINDA, MY CHILD... HAST THOU SEEN 'WEEKEND AT BERNIES'? BECAUSE YOU MAY WANT TO. NO, NO REASON WHY BUT TIME IS SOMETHING OF A FACTOR HERE
"

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

TurnipFritter posted:

The whole vibe of this game feels very "90s OAV series that got chopped up and recut as a single 96 minute film that aired on SciFi Channel's Saturday morning anime block"

Yeah, there's something about the very specific strain of weird sci-fi and cyberpunk anime that cropped up in the 80s and 90s that has a very unique feel to it. It's difficult to explain, but if you've encountered it, you know exactly what I mean.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Case in point: why do the weasels have tits?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

TeeQueue posted:

I am beginning to feel like this might not be a totally ordinary JRPG after all. :ohdear:

I don't see what you mean, an evil sibling is a huge plot point in so many games.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Okay, this is the point where I had to know what this game was about. Kamen Rider-esque antmen that blast perfectly rectangular holes in people? Women with gigantic Hulk Hogan arms obviously attached via surgery? MAD SCIENTIST HITLER?! Yeah, the bits with a machete-wielding Santa had my interest, but here's about when they got my attention. And that's just the cutscenes, I can only imagine where the in-game scenes go.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'd give him a nein.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

And then Linda turned into Frog from Chrono Trigger

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

There was something of a rush to capitalise on the new hardware at the time: the step up in power from the 16-bit to 32-bit consoles was arguably the biggest step forward in gaming before or since - the PS2 looked better than the PS1, the Gamecube looked leagues better than the N64, and so on but neither of those really allowed devs to completely invent new styles or genres of gameplay literally never seen before. So, in order to get cash for increasing development costs and get new projects off the ground to begin with, there were a lot of games that received redesigns/revisions/upgrades on the PS1 and Saturn. It was really more of a Japanese phenomenon, however, since, in the West, Sony, at least, had policies in place to make sure that games trying to do that had English dubs where applicable, a certain percentage of new content, etc. Sega, I believe, were more lax about that sort of thing, and towards the end of the Saturn's lifespan (and basically all the Dreamcast's life), would consider releasing anything in the West, since they were desperate to get some kind of an edge over Sony. But since the Playstation may as well have been the only game in town, it didn't amount to much.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So, guess what I was lucky enough to pick up this weekend as part of a visit to a retro/import games store?

I also got a shitload of other games, but Linda's been on my list for a while. And they had three copies. So let me assure you all, this game is not an elaborate hoax!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Linda Cube The Game: fairly light-hearted wackiness with some oddly disturbing scenes (anything involving Sachiko in this route, for example), And Mad Scientist Hitler for some reason, still not sure why that's a thing.

Linda Cube The Advert: "You haven't even begun to comprehend the things we will make you afraid of. When Silent Hill has nightmares, we are what it dreams of. We will dwell in your mind and make it our own until you become just. Like. Us."

So yeah, bit of a tonal shift when it comes to the advertising.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I know that's her default expression at this point, but Sachiko's face in that cutscene is peak 'this crazy bastard needs to shut up'. She is so done with this nonsense.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Nick Buntline posted:

the joke is that everybody notices the ventriloquist

and then through of combination of Sumire being an unrelenting force of good and the ventriloquist never breaking character, they eventually become just as dedicated to the kayfabe as he is

like was said, its surprisingly sweet given the elevator pitch

Can confirm, you hear the plot and, naturally, think 'there's no way this series can be anything but the creepiest poo poo ever', but it winds up being a very charming series. They focus more on the absurdity of the concept, so any potential horribleness winds up being bypassed completely and the end is sincere and very sweet.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Randalor posted:

I'm more picturing the Clue movie's bit about "This is one way things could have gone" endings, but for the scenarios and all with the same ending.

You laugh, but just wait til Sachiko appears as a singing telegram in the next scenario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Everyone knows if someone has a physical accident, if you add enough blunt-force trauma, it warps around to healing them instead