Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

This looks interesting, it's not at all what I expected from just that handprint title screen.

TheDavies posted:

... okay ... these people clearly have interstellar travel, so why aren't they, you know, doing something about the meteor that's going to hit in eight years?

Heck, they could've given the meteor the tiniest of fly-bys back when they discovered it 100 years ago. The minute gravity of the ship would've been enough to pull it off of its collision course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm also really wondering if the ³ character works in thread titles so you could get rid of the ^3 you got in there now.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I love the atmosphere/vibe this game has going for it, but I probably would hate playing it for myself. So thank you for showing it off like this.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Case in point: why do the weasels have tits?

Because they're mammals, silly.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

From what we've seen of the interior, I'm sure it'll meat expectations. :rolleye:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

That sure as hell was an ending... Wow.

I'm genuinely excited to see where this incredibly mundane and totally ordinary game ends up going!

Also, I'm guessing that animal in the cave leading to the factory was a sheep. Based on it looking fluffy and having horns. And also one of the two chests by the door leading to the area having the sheep sweater.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If the comparisons to the PC Engine aren't too much work, I'd like to keep them. The differences are pretty interesting.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Randalor posted:

I mean... considering that Ken and Linda are the only two that can leave on the Ark in the first place... eh, Linda's parents are going to die soon enough anyways, all "Psycho Santa" would have done is let them beat the rush :v:

I think the idea was they were gonna get evacuated. But with no choice in the matter of where to go, Hume wouldn't be able to keep stalking Ann. That's probably what drove him over the edge.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

:sbahj:

This game doesn't do any taking it easy, does it?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I want to echo some earlier comments about how the way you're presenting this game sometimes makes me forget it's not actually localized. You're really doing an amazing job. And I can't get enough of all the weird twists this game's story and themes take.

I'm guessing this is supposed to say South Area?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Nothing ever came of that ominous no kissing warning after Linda got infected with las plagas by Dr Hitler, did it? Other than that camping scene of Ken and Linda ignoring the advice.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's hard to keep saying, "huh I never expected that" without it feeling hollow but

Huh, I never expected that

:same:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The way I interpret the game saying Ken can't move even though his body has recovered from near-terminal slapstick, is that we, the player, have fully subsumed his consciousness. And he can no longer function without the player guiding his actions.

While all the others are Non Player Characters, and thus don't need a player to control them and let them live their lives.

But I'm not sure if this is going too meta for this totally ordinary JRPG, or not meta enough.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Bloodly posted:

I can't think of any hormone we have that would have that effect on animals.

Almost all of the animals are alien horrors, though. Only dogs are normal. So, who knows what their reaction to human hormones is gonna be.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sometimes I completely forget I'm reading an LP of a Japanese game until a status screen or inventory suddenly snaps me out of this high quality translation fantasy world.

You're doing an amazing job and I don't really know what more I'd want to see added. Though maybe I'd like to see more posts in this thread (I know, I know, be the change you want to see) so my poor phone doesn't have to load a gazillion pictures when I'm reading the LP while I should be working.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

ivantod posted:

Yeah, they totally nailed this. As you're playing the game eventually (generally around 1997 or so) you realise that places have become pretty empty and there are almost no people around any more except the last few vendors/shopkeepers. It's quite an odd/sad feeling. At least you know that the people have simply left to continue their lives elsewhere mostly.

It's crazy how they manage to balance the weird slapstick humor and serious undertones (and also overtones) without either becoming overbearing.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Finding that old ark makes you wonder how many times they've been around the block. Outside of the obvious answer indicated by the amount of scenarios.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Randalor posted:

I know that there are games that add instruments to a main theme as the game goes on, but is there any that remove instruments as the game progresses? This would be a good use for something like that, start off with a full lively orchestral score, then slowly remove instruments as the years go on until mid-97/start of 98, all you're left with is a piano or violin providing the overworld music as the cities have mostly emptied.

Majora's Mask's Clock Town music gets more and more frantic as the cycle progresses, but I've never seen (heard) anything like you described. It would fit this game extremely well, though.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I think it's a lovely troll that the one piece of data that survived the untold eons of time that ship's been sitting there is just a common animal and not some super rare exclusive poo poo. Or an animal you have no chance but watch go extinct as there's no way for you to catch it before it does so.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ah yes, realizing the Ark is a species and picking a fight with the arks that are sitting underground until you manage to capture a male and female specimen.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'm honestly sad it's going to be over. It's been a wild ride. (Please do post it, though.)

:same:

You've done an amazing job showing off the game so far, can't wait to see the extremely ordinary conclusion.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Somehow part of me saw this coming, yet I was completely and utterly blindsided by it at the same time. Great work, ivantod!

Randalor posted:

Also, considering the size of the underworld, could people feasibly survive the meteor strike by sheltering underground? Anyone know enough to chime in on that? Honest question.

That really depends on the size and mass of the meteorite. If it's large enough that the energy of the impact causes the entire crust of the planet to melt, there's no surviving no matter where. And if it's less than that, you're still not safe on the other side of the planet as ejecta from the impact will swing around and rain down on there.
And considering the cutscene shows large amounts of crust that got kicked up with into a stable enough orbit to form a moon, that's one hell of an impact.

Not to mention if enough dust gets kicked up to block out the sun and create a new ice age, the underground might just turn into a huge glacier.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I have faith in you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Congratulations on getting all the animals in this challenge mode!

And thank you very much for doing such a terrific job at showing off this gem of a game. The crazy twists and turns are amazing.
And I think it's maybe for the best the game didn't try to explain absolutely everything. Leaves an air of mystique and so many games have fallen flat with bad explanations for the phenomena in them.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating. If it weren't for the menus still being in Japanese, I'd forget this wasn't an English copy of the game. You did an awesome job. I really enjoyed reading it.