Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Im intrigued to see what this game has in store. Also, what God has as a backup plan when Linda inevitably kills Ken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, do her "tests" actually deal damage, and if so, can she actually kill Ken with them?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm assuming that it's a different storyline for each scenario, and not just different amounts of animals/time limits in place? Because I really hope Linda doesn't lose her memory each time.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So if a season is supposed to be 15 minutes long but only transitions after a screenspchange, what happens if you spend 30 minutes before doing a screen transition? Does it just jump to the "correct" season, or does it go to the next one in order?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Didn't Metal Saga have several options of canines that could join you?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hypocrisy posted:

I have to admit, that cut scene definitely surprised me. I like how the boss completely believe Ken's tale of his Santa cosplaying murderous twin brother. Did we already know Ken was adopted?

Eh, the room in question had a giant hole in the back wall, presumably leading outside, so its not unbelievable.

Also... the gently caress are up with those PC-Engine Penguins? That's some "At the Mountains of Madness" tier stuff there.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Now, see, I'm of two minds about that. On the one hand, if the ark is a living creature, and needs people to pilot it, then it makes sense to trust it. After all, it wants to live too. On the other hand, the original version makes it look like the walls are muscles, while the new one... that's a stomach. Definitely makes me think you're just collecting food for the space beast.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I was kind of curious how the scenario plots meshed with the scenario goals just being "Noah's Pokemon". Good to see that you have to play through the plot first. And that tree scene is cute, but do both people have to be there for it to count (so Ken would have had to be with the nurse when she carved it) or was that just a thing Ken and Linda did together, while normally it's just one person who sneaks in and carves their name and their crushes name?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

She is a violence gremlin, but she does have more of a resemblance to her mom in the sepia-tone photo.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Bloodly posted:

...Wait, "Mother"? What on earth? Did I miss something?

So, near as I gather, the mayor of the one town and Mrs Vampire had an affair and she birthed two kids. One was put up for adoption and the other... actually, New was probably raised by her, considering how crazy they both seem.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So Neo-Kenya was Earth all along, despite the people who came to Neo-Kenya being Earthlings who fled Earth to start with... ow my brain.

And do the later scenarios expand on dafuq happened with Hume, or is it just a "Hume went crazy, and not due to drugs either" thing?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Booky posted:

it was pretty overshadowed by the entirety of the end parts, but it's very funny you can just go "nah im good i don't wanna learn murder santas deal" and ditch the planet :v:

and the pc engine cutscenes are pretty neat to compare!!

I mean... considering that Ken and Linda are the only two that can leave on the Ark in the first place... eh, Linda's parents are going to die soon enough anyways, all "Psycho Santa" would have done is let them beat the rush :v:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

:hitler:

And that's... random. Very, very random. So what I'm getting is that town is hosed no matter what? If it's not being harvested for delicious, delicious elixirs of immortality, it's being randomly purged.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

malkav11 posted:

Just wait, it will turn out it was stored in her left arm.

Don't be ridiculous, memory is stored in the head. And by the end of the scenario, Linda will just be a head on top of a horrible Frankenstein-esque monstrosity.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So... does answering "Yes" to Sachiko's question actually change anything, or is it just a "joke" moment where she acted shy about asking the question, just to reveal she was just doing it to analyze Ken?

TurnipFritter posted:

1) Every single image of Sachiko seems to convey an entirely different personality: Her dialogue portrait looks dead inside, the full screen art of her makes her look like a normal person who is uncomfortable in the costume they're wearing, and her status menu portrait makes her look smug and haughty. ("Dead inside" seems to be her actual personality)

2) This is gonna be the weirdest episode of Murder, She Wrote ever.

Her dialogue portrait looks less "dead inside" and more One Punch Man "OK face" to me. Not necessarily emotionally dead, just extremely bored.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

It'd explain her complete lack of knowledge about good and evil, weird lack of emotions and the fact that we just saw her twin sister (which no one commented on).

What ever are you talking about? That other woman was wearing sunglasses. Also, has anyone else noticed you never see Clark Kent and Superman in the same room together?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Item Getter posted:

Leaning towards an actual robot just because of the random line about "this secretary is actually a robot" in the same area where her look-alike turns up.

That's what I'm thinking too. You have robots that are virtually identical to humans, then suddenly Sachiko's doppelganger is blowing up shuttles for fun and pro... actually, going by how Sachiko acts, maybe just for fun.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

As a whole, publishers in Japan also seem to be more willing to take risks with what we would consider to be "oddball" games. Stuff like LSD and Linda^3 would probably never see the light of day over here outside of Steam (before consoles had digital stores at any rate)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh poo poo! Breath of Fire IV! I remember that game! Oh, hey, Linda^3 is there too.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... hookay, did I accidentally ingest hallucinogens before reading that? I mean, it all makes sense, but what the gently caress did I just read?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm impressed that Emory managed to both look more and less sleazy in that second picture.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

John Lee posted:

(To be clear, Sumire 16-sai isn't about a robot, but a totally normal puppet, controlled by an aged ventriloquist, who uses her as a 'front' to have an ordinary high school girl's life. It's honestly super sweet and I like it a lot!

...The original run, Sumire 17-sai, is lackluster in comparison.)

I'm sorry, but WHAT THE CHRIST? I dont even know where to begin with all of my questions about that sentence.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ZCKaiser posted:

Sure are a lot of games with time shenanigans running right now, huh?

Is this some kind of grand time loop where each scenario happens but an entire planet's lifetime apart? Is the implication that Ken and Linda are in fact the progenitors of the natives, and bring all the animals with them to repopulate the ecosystem?

I'm more picturing the Clue movie's bit about "This is one way things could have gone" endings, but for the scenarios and all with the same ending.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You laugh, but just wait til Sachiko appears as a singing telegram in the next scenario

It's a shame this game was 4 years before Being John Malkovich was made, otherwise I would joke the next scenario just replaces all of the NPCs with Sachikos that say the NPCs dialogue.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... I... wow, on the one hand, dick move on the part of the game, on the other... hey Nek and Sachiko get a happy ending, yay?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ivantod posted:

Kind of. Maybe tutorial is a bit of "strong" word, but it is true that the first two scenarios were added to "ease" the player into it for the part of the game that Shoji Masuda originally wanted to make, which was the open world exploration (which is now Scenario C). So yeah... I can tell you it took quite an effort on my end to not spoil this ahead of time and I hoped that people wouldn't get too annoyed with my constant "later, later" until we get to this point! Well, at least "later" is now!

That makes sense. This way, it gives the players a chance to learn where 30/50 of the animals are earlier on, so 100/120 seems less daunting when you actually get to that point. Shame about the apparent dead man walking situations though.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Bloodly posted:

He fell only on his back. How did he take so much damage?

I'm willing to bet Linda's to blame for the non-spinal injuries. She seems like the type of person who would immediately try smacking Ken awake, and she is inhumanly strong outside of combat even without her dad's arm.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So what happens if you buy Linda the expensive rinf? I don't recall if you showed that off in a previous part, or will you be covering that later?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

Things have been concerningly normal so far...

My guess for what's in the blizzard is a Yeti.

Could also be a polar bear (or yeti-as-polar bead) or a walrus. Maybe a wendigo? I think those tended to be winter-related in their portrayal.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

We hadn't seen any kind of bears yet, I wonder how wild Linda^3 bears would be.

But we've already seen Linda's dad :confused:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hypocrisy posted:

Weirdly enough the PC Engine version of sheep looks more sheeplike to me.

I'm surprised the remake left out the stingers, that's like, the defining trait of a sheep. What do you think when you thunk of a sheep? Their fluffy fur and foot-long venomous stingers,

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Raitzeno posted:

what if both versions are canon due to time travel/loop fuckery? some of the animals have stayed the same because they worked during the last series of arkloops but some didn't so it's trying again and hoping that something changes so they don't have to remake the game a second time and change things up yet again

I wonder if there's some other versions planned out there that we could add in to this ball of confusion.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Huh. I can see what's going on in the first 2/3 (depending on if the cloaked figure is supposed to be Hume or Ken) but... the 4th seems out of place. Linda seems afraid of Ken? Is that part of the expanded Hume/Nek storyline from Scenario 1?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Those seals are just the walrus from Pingu, you can't fool me.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Eopia posted:

This game :allears:

(Also the npc you kept saying has a blue shirt has a purple one, am I going crazy here?)

Could just be an issue with someone's monitor/display. Sometimes dark mode fucks with colors in images too.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The plot twist of "God" being Ken's adopted dad is... actually, that's pretty good. So the entire plot is just a perpetual cycle of "Mass extinction event saving as many species as possible->modify surviving species to survive in the new world->mass extinction event..."?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is that really the only place to find "wild" Ladybirds, and there's no hint that they're found there? That's... that's just a dick move from the developers at that point.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, there is the VERY odd quest reward and a small chance to get them from smooth eggs or the auction house, but that's... very much a dick move. "Did you pass on the one quest reward and they didn't spawn the one time you were talking to GodDad? gently caress you, Gachapon time."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the consensus is that we are all rude dudes who don't visit our ol' man often enough :colbert:

Hey, it's not Ken's fault that his dad decided to go all "I AM GOD! HERE IS AN ARK" and didn't mention "BY THE WAY, KEN, GOR TO THE HIDDEN LAND DEEP UNDERGROUND, I WISH TO MEET WITH YOU, AND TELL YOUR MOTHER I SAID HELLO." You can blame Ken, but he was busy trying to preserve 2 of every animal, and thought his old man was dead-dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

While I'm sad we never got the game released over here, considering the... hit-and-miss translations of games during the PSX/Saturn/N64 Era, I'll consider it a blessing. The humor is probably enough that Working Designs would probably have picked it up, but considering how some animals are only hinted at by random NPC dialog, and this is the company that managed to gently caress up a puzzles text so badly they had to post the answer on their website...