Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

kens mom is just doing the :shepface: directly into the camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ohhh those pigs are so cute in the ps1 ver!! :3:

also its kinda funny that running costs HP in this... gives me lunar dragon song vibes :v:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

this feels like one of those soap opera twists about a secret evil twin brother, but its a jrpg?? :eyepop: (though thinking on it, 'secret evil twin' is pretty common...) its nice the boss was pretty chill about it, at least

also :rip: kens (other) dad

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

that pc engine version of the ark looks kinda.... gooey :ohdear: will it get added to an update? also i like how both ken and linda are posing in their status screens :3:

ah, the colors in that high res family photo look quite different from the in game one

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i guess hume had such Divorced Dad energy he went bonkers?? :stare:

also neo kenya more like, ye olden earth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOeUXEpxzcc

i decided to search that number of days mentioned in the ending and its about 72,520 years, i dunno if its relevant but thats sure a while

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

rip hume, was such a divorced dad he wigged out
my interpretation is that the vigor 2 drug + the stress of being divorced made him crack relatively recently and do a mass murder and then he couldn't really accept it, leading to him acting all strange before his fight (jurys still out on the uh, whole ann fusion thing)

i was kinda dumb and thought "oh no hes getting held hostage by evil santa!! :ohdear:" during the phone call tho, i guess hes supposed to be mega good at acting?

Booky fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 13, 2021

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

it was pretty overshadowed by the entirety of the end parts, but it's very funny you can just go "nah im good i don't wanna learn murder santas deal" and ditch the planet :v:

and the pc engine cutscenes are pretty neat to compare!!

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

:rip: lindas parents (again)

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

linda can really rock a cape

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i noticed a typo in this npc dialogue: "Under the push of Federation, the colonisation of Neo-Kenya began 100 about 100 years ago."

a ye olden open world...

also lol that it starts like mgs5 a bit, though much lighter (:rip: ken); it seems like things overall are a bit cheerier in this scenario than the last 2

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

when we warped to the new area im like 90% sure the world 3 theme from ff5 just immediately popped into my head

rannum posted:

poor sachiko gets kidnapped and then a weirdo jumps out of a well, rushes through her vows and kicks her new in laws down a well

poor sachiko... :smith:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If you let the clock run out, does it stay at winter '99 forever until you choose to leave, or do you get an actual Game Over?

i think i vaguely recall reading you get a special game over scene if you blow the time limit or smth but i dunno if its actually a Thing?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

well, 82 and 102 is a pretty good run, and at least ken and linda weren't the only people around :)

but calculating that minus 63, that means that..... ken was 19~ when it was 1999 AMD??? :psyduck: and linda was 18 (minusing 84).... but then that means they were like, kids when the game started in 1991??

...maybe a writer just beefed up the math :v:

anyways, thanks a ton for showing off this cool game ivantod!! im p curious on what happens if you bust the time limit on any of the scenarios and you don't have enough animals.... maybe you just get a Game Over screen or smth

Geemer posted:

Somehow part of me saw this coming, yet I was completely and utterly blindsided by it at the same time. Great work, ivantod!

That really depends on the size and mass of the meteorite. If it's large enough that the energy of the impact causes the entire crust of the planet to melt, there's no surviving no matter where. And if it's less than that, you're still not safe on the other side of the planet as ejecta from the impact will swing around and rain down on there.
And considering the cutscene shows large amounts of crust that got kicked up with into a stable enough orbit to form a moon, that's one hell of an impact.

Not to mention if enough dust gets kicked up to block out the sun and create a new ice age, the underground might just turn into a huge glacier.

fwiw i checked japanese wikipedia and it says the diameter is "200 km" (~124 miles) which seems Pretty Big

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

maybe the humans are coming in from an(other) alternate timeline where they lost the coordinates to earth?? then they go to neo kenya, time travel, etc

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Tallgeese posted:

So wait, we get absolutely no explanation of how the Ark initially came to be, et cetera?

it was magic

also ahaha, its p nice that the game gives you some hints if you bust the timer :v:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

congratulations on the lp!! this was a mega fun ride, and i even recall reading the first update of this back a year ago when visiting maine for a weekend :)

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Hypocrisy posted:

What a fantastic LP.

Did we ever find out why Ken and Nek's biological father killed all those people?

he was Da Joker babey

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

all i know about far east of eden is the one thats in the US with the funny jrpg style map of north america :v: so uh, maybe that series since it sounds p cool

e: ah Ha, i found the map!!! https://twitter.com/Cybershell/status/1488956863869689858

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ivantod posted:

Yeah, that's kind of the joke with these games. It's meant to be a map of the US made by people from Japan who have never seen it/been there or something like that.

Tengai Makyou II is set in Jipang (fake Japan) and has a map which was "made by a scholar from the Smithsonian institute":

There is one set in London, too.

lmao that Owns, im liking the big ol cow in the north too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ohhh thats cool!! will those book deetz get added to the lp as a bonus or is it a fun aside post?

also man that dr emory illustration looks gnarly; shame about the inflated prices tho 😔