Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Lid posted:

Dont think hes eligible he came third last year behind Anna Jay and Pat McAfee because well no one watches the Gate in the west.

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

This list would indicate Dante Martin as ineligible for Rookie of the Year 2021

Rookie of the year voting is always a little weird in hindsight but who tf voted Dominik Mysterio ahead of Top Flight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Stall_19 posted:

maybe I should consider Tam Nakano "Twitter waifu" for worst gimmick or is that best gimmick?

Porque no los dos?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Category "A" Awards: You vote three times for these.
Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award: Konosuke Takeshita, Kenny Omega, Miyu Yamashita
Most Outstanding Wrestler: Rey Fenix, Shingo Takagi, Miyu Yamashita
Tag Team of the Year: Lucha Bros, Neo-Bishiiki-Gun, Proud & Powerful
Best on Interviews: Eddie Kingston, Miro, MJF
Promotion of the Year: TJPW, AEW, DDT
Best Weekly TV Show: AEW Dynamite, AEW Rampage, New Japan Strong
Pro Wrestling Match of the Year: Bucks vs Lucha Bros from All Out. Hikaru Shida, Mei Suruga and Rin Kadokura vs. Emi Sakura, Veny and Maki Itoh, AEW Women's Eliminator Tournament, 2/28. Rika Tatsumi (C) vs. Miyu Yamashita for the Princess of Princess Championship - TJPW YES! WONDERLAND 2021.

Category "B" Awards: You vote once for these.
US/Canada MVP: Kenny Omega
Japan MVP: Miyu Yamashita
Mexico MVP: Penta el Zero Miedo
Europe MVP: Charles Crowley
Non-Heavyweight MVP: Hiromu Takahashi
Women's Wrestling MVP: Miyu Yamashita
Best Box Office Draw: Charles Montgomery Punk.
Feud of the Year: Hangman Page vs Kenny Omega
Most Improved: Tay Conti
Most Charismatic: Kenny Omega
Bryan Danielson "Best Technical Wrestler" Award: Zack Sabre Jr
Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Eddie Kingston
Best Flying Wrestler: Rey Fenix
Most Underrated: Aaron Solo
Rookie of the Year: Dante Martin (HOW is this hia rookie year?)
Best Non-Wrestler: Don Callis
Best Television Announcer: Excalibur
Best Major Wrestling Show: AEW All Out
Best Wrestling Maneuver: Dante Martin's front flip stunner
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: WWE rehiring Zelina Vega only to fire her husband immediately afterwards.
Worst Television Show: WWE RAW
Worst Promotion of the Year: WWE
Best Booker: Tony Khan
Promoter of the Year: Sanshiro Takagi
Best Gimmick: Neo-Bishiki-Gun
Worst Gimmick: WWE's unrealistic impersonation of a wrestling company

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

SG Bamboo posted:

I'm of the opinion that more people should have GM Imabayashi as best non-wrestler, he's not as ubiquitous as other options but every single time he features on a DDT show he makes it better. The double singles match at Peter Pan would not have been nearly as entertaining as it ended up being if he were not there getting increasingly fed up with everyone's poo poo.

Yes.

quote:

Also more people in general should watch DDT, it's a great variety of comedy, deathmatches, stiff fights and traditional wrestling

Also yes.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Category "A" Awards:
Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award: Kenny Omega, Shingo Takagi, Darby Allin
Most Outstanding Wrestler: Darby Allin, Konsuke Takeshita, Rey Fenix
Tag Team of the Year: Lucha Bros, The Young Bucks, Las Fresas de Egoistas (Asuka & Makoto)
Best on Interviews: Eddie Kingston, Miro, CM Punk
Promotion of the Year: AEW, TJPW, NOAH
Best Weekly TV Show: AEW Rampage, AEW Dynamite,
Pro Wrestling Match of the Year: Young Bucks vs. Lucha Bros, All Out 2021, Britt Baker vs. Thunder Rosa Lights Out, Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Shingo Takagi at New Beginning

Category "B" Awards:
US/Canada MVP: Kenny Omega
Japan MVP: Shingo Takagi
Mexico MVP: Psycho Clown
Europe MVP: I guess WALTER?
Non-Heavyweight MVP: Darby Allin
Women's Wrestling MVP: Britt Baker
Best Box Office Draw: John Cena
Feud of the Year: Kenny vs. Hangman
Most Improved: Miro
Most Charismatic: CM Punk
Bryan Danielson "Best Technical Wrestler" Award: ZSJ
Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Eddie Kingston
Best Flying Wrestler: Rey Fenix
Most Overrated: Bobby Lashley
Most Underrated: Nick Gage
Rookie of the Year: Dante Martin
Best Non-Wrestler: Don Callis
Best Television Announcer: Excalibur
Worst Television Announcer: Pat McAfee
Best Major Wrestling Show: All Out 2021
Worst Major Wrestling Show: Summerslam 2021
Best Wrestling Maneuver: Kris Statlander's Pendulum Moonsault
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: WWE releasing more wrestlers while having record profits
Worst Television Show: WWE RAW
Worst Match of the Year: Charlotte Flair, Dana Brooke & Mandy Rose vs. Lacey Evans, Nia Jax & Shayna Baszler
Worst Feud of the Year: Rhea Ripley vs. Charlotte Flair
Worst Promotion of the Year: WWE
Best Booker: Tony Khan
Promoter of the Year: Tony Khan
Best Gimmick: The Redeemer
Worst Gimmick: Nikki ASH
Shad Gaspard/Jon Huber Memorial Award: Sami Zayn, Thunder Rosa

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Best Gimmick and Worst Gimmick, AKA, a Bray Wyatt hattrick.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Does HOOK need to wrestle a match to be eligible for Rookie of the Year? :thunkher:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

Does HOOK need to wrestle a match to be eligible for Rookie of the Year? :thunkher:

If he doesn't wrestle then he can win best non-wrestler instead

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

If he doesn't wrestle then he can win best non-wrestler instead

Porque no los dos?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Zack Sabre Jr making a push for Most Charismatic to go along with his Danielson Award

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
something interesting is despite Shingo being in everyones top 3 for best wrestler, most outstanding, or both, not one person has him as Best Brawler despite being a brawler who uses lariats in place of chops

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

something interesting is despite Shingo being in everyones top 3 for best wrestler, most outstanding, or both, not one person has him as Best Brawler despite being a brawler who uses lariats in place of chops

Well duh, that's obviously Ishii.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lid posted:

Clearly the only solution here is for Shingo to fight Miro to decide who's best

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lid posted:

They're playing politics to spread the awards around like the Japanese press do.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

I just want a chance to shout out guys who've had great years but been overlooked, hence going for Takayuki Ueki. Big Japan missing on him leaves me with so many questions about their booking brain trust

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

forkboy84 posted:

I just want a chance to shout out guys who've had great years but been overlooked, hence going for Takayuki Ueki. Big Japan missing on him leaves me with so many questions about their booking brain trust

Its not a criticism of you for doing ibscurer stuff, but most are saying Ishii or Miro. I said the same thing last year in that edition of the thread where i was advocating 2020 Shingo as Most Outstanding over Omega and best brawler over Ishii in a losing battle. It might happen again this year.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Realtalk time: Most Improved should go to Maki Itoh

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I almost want to vote Shinjiro Otani Most Improved but the only improvement is "wrestling in a company that actually makes tape for part of the year". Which seems against the spirit of the award.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
IMO most improved 2021 is unironically either Tanga Loa or Yujiro Takahashi who both went from being absoluteg garbage wastemen to having decent to good matches during the G1.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
imagine watching the g1.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Maki Itoh is NOT the most improved wrestler

Because she was already great.

It might actually be Kamiyu imo. She stepped up to be a believable main event wrestler in her International Princess run. Yujiro deserves a look in but I feel that's more "most increased effort" than "most improved".

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Kamiyu deffo sounds right to me.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

karmicknight posted:

imagine watching the g1.

I agree, should be in the summer so I can watch

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Maki Itoh is NOT the most improved wrestler

Because she was already great.

Yes but then she got even better

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I still think it’s Saya Kamitani. Many people were very surprised that Stardom had picked her to wrestle against Utami for the world title at Budokan. The biggest event they’ve had in perhaps their history and they gave that spot to an unproven wrestler, a year and a half into her career when she’s never had any big singles match anywhere near that level of spotlight. And she looked like she belonged in that match and spent the rest of the year proving that she belongs in big spotlight matches.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

a cyborg mug posted:

I agree, should be in the summer so I can watch

The main reason to care about the g1 evaporated when the dome went to 2 nights. Now it's just an excuse to watch a lot of ishii matches which is still great, but with how hurt ishii looks I would prefer they save him for matches against Eddie, Miro and orange Cassidy.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
This year the G1 is actually an excuse to watch ZSJ matches, and given on what a goddamn tear the Windy Man is on right now I think he's building a p good case for Most Outstanding.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

This year the G1 has been a complete rebound from "Why the gently caress are GoD in this" to "What the gently caress, GoD are actually pretty good. They should have singles runs"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
After watching Elevation Tay Conti still needs to be in the conversation, she was abysmal and in one year has become insanely good.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think Sonny Kiss deserves a shout for Most Improved.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Pylons posted:

I think Sonny Kiss deserves a shout for Most Improved.

Yes, she's been laying in her stuff now and appears way less hesitant in general.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Okhan's g1 run also has him in the running I think

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1449549896076468224

Miro is winning Best Gimmick and those of you who don't get in line and vote him will have his vengeance.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If you don't vote Miyu Yamashita's turnbuckle rebound kick for best move then do you even like wrestling?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Much as I love Miyu, could I instead vote for Masaaki Mochizuki who has been doing that same move for quite a bit longer?

I'm happy with my vote for Yuki Ueno's finisher, every time someone sees him pull it off for the first time they wonder how he isn't constantly breaking either his or his opponents' neck

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I dunno, is he is as cool as Miyu? :thunkher:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Nobody is, but Mocchy definitely takes the lead in looking 20 years younger than he actually he is.

His theme also bangs at an extremely high level

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

I dunno, is he is as cool as Miyu? :thunkher:

Yes. Mochi is cool old man kick boy & he's been cool as hell for 25 years. What was Miyu doing in 1996? I'll tell you. She was pooping herself.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
It got pointed out to me there is one contender to Miro for Best Gimmick and they have a real shot that had just completley slipped under the radar

"The Billion Dollar Man" Cameron Grimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
sounds incredibly fake