Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Tampa Bae posted:

I had a fourth-hand VHS copy of the tournament and I've seen both the ICP and the Tokyopop dubs of the tournament but I'm looking for the kind of stuff that inspired that.

Memphis brawling, Invader(?) coughing up pig's blood, and that sort of stuff

the pigs blood story isn't really deathmatch adjacent, but it's loving weird

so during a match between manny fernandez and invader #3 manny goes to the top and drops a knee on invader's chest. invaders starts spewing copious amounts of blood from his mouth, and manny drops two more knees while the ref is kinda trying to stop him but not really. the video is on youtube if you really want to see it but it's pretty disturbing

some think it was a shoot, there's a claim that invader was chugging a mixture of pigs blood and vodka backstage.

years later manny says it was a shoot retaliation for the death of bruiser brody, which sounds plausible except for a couple things:
-invader 3 isn't the same guy as invader 1, the guy who stabbed brody (i don't know how they were tied together in kayfabe)
-the match happened two months before brody died

which points to it being a work, except that the guy who was invader 3 didn't have another match for a decade, which would be the sell job of all sell jobs

so either they decided to do a gruesome gimmick out of nowhere for some reason or manny fernandez shoot tried to murder someone in the middle of the ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

i borrowed a tokyopop fmw dvd from a friend and one of the matches had a close up of pogo sticking the sickle a half inch deep in some poor motherfuckers back and twisting it. was a million times worse than the main event (i think that one was H vs gannosuke with the awful shawn michaels promo at the end)

bless those dvds for turning me into a fmw and hayabusa mark. just wish the english commentary wasn't so awful