Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

Someone in the AEW thread mentioned southern style wrestling inspiring the Young Bucks/Lucha Brothers match. I can read wikipedia I've watched wrestling for a long time but I want to know about the style of wrestling that eventually inspired ECW and FMW

I know of the barbed wire matches, the concession stand brawls, and the Memphis fireball but I'd like to know more about this style of wrestling. In the late 80's I know of a lot of blood feuds started happening in Mexico (Mask/Hair/Career matches), in the South over pride (Barbed Wire and brawling), and Puerto Rico (Who took that inspiration and went further with things like the fire death matches)

But I only know of them. Help me understand what lead up to those types of matches, who took it a step further, and what were the greatest blood feuds of the 80's and 90's. How did it evolve into the type of matches we have today like the light tubes of Japan and GCW?

Watch the IWA Japan King of the Deathmatch 95 tournament.
http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=89

It's formative for the genre because it makes Mick Foley in Japan.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

I had a fourth-hand VHS copy of the tournament and I've seen both the ICP and the Tokyopop dubs of the tournament but I'm looking for the kind of stuff that inspired that.

Memphis brawling, Invader(?) coughing up pig's blood, and that sort of stuff

Memphis brawls are not easy to come by, but one match I'll direct you to is Piper vs Valentine Dog Collar Match from Starrcade 82.

Also, track down as much Dusty Rhodes and Kevin Sullivan in Florida as you can. Florida is as influential as Memphis to companies like FMW, IWA and ECW.

Also ask Bix, he's got a good handle on territory days.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

He was just the polar opposite to Onita, Hayabusa, and Megumi Kudo who would crawl through hell to make a match good, he just kept putting himself over and never got receipts. I remember him taking maybe two or three big bumps ever and one was into a barbed wire trampoline

Tiger Jeet Singh also had this reputation

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Best thing about Pogo is how someone put out a fake story about him wearing his full gimmick as a Yakuza enforcer and I think Alvarez said it was true