Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Someone in the AEW thread mentioned southern style wrestling inspiring the Young Bucks/Lucha Brothers match. I can read wikipedia I've watched wrestling for a long time but I want to know about the style of wrestling that eventually inspired ECW and FMW

I know of the barbed wire matches, the concession stand brawls, and the Memphis fireball but I'd like to know more about this style of wrestling. In the late 80's I know of a lot of blood feuds started happening in Mexico (Mask/Hair/Career matches), in the South over pride (Barbed Wire and brawling), and Puerto Rico (Who took that inspiration and went further with things like the fire death matches)

But I only know of them. Help me understand what lead up to those types of matches, who took it a step further, and what were the greatest blood feuds of the 80's and 90's. How did it evolve into the type of matches we have today like the light tubes of Japan and GCW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Watch the IWA Japan King of the Deathmatch 95 tournament.
http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=89

It's formative for the genre because it makes Mick Foley in Japan.
I had a fourth-hand VHS copy of the tournament and I've seen both the ICP and the Tokyopop dubs of the tournament but I'm looking for the kind of stuff that inspired that.

Memphis brawling, Invader(?) coughing up pig's blood, and that sort of stuff

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

FMW's theatrics were way ahead of the game. Their explosions looked so violent and brutal and the exploding cage they built still looks great. That's who Tony Khan should've went to for the exploding death match stuff

mariooncrack posted:

There's some guys like Mr. Pogo or Tarzan Goto that were pretty popular back in the 90's but I don't know if it's worth looking up today. They did the "I'll throw you into something, you throw me into something, then we'll bleed"
In Mr Pogo's case it was always "I'll throw you into something, I'll stab you with my sickle, might even light you on fire but I'm probably not taking a bump this match"

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

CombineThresher posted:

It's always weird seeing Pogo as a normal, somewhat mediocre wrestler in random 1980s territories, knowing what a menace he'd become in the 1990s thanks to FMW and Puerto Rico.
He was just the polar opposite to Onita, Hayabusa, and Megumi Kudo who would crawl through hell to make a match good, he just kept putting himself over and never got receipts. I remember him taking maybe two or three big bumps ever and one was into a barbed wire trampoline

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

little munchkin posted:

Dude broke his neck in a deathmatch with terry funk, he adopted that style out of necessity afterwards.
He was no Kurt Angle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Slaapaav posted:

he had so many horrible matches with inoki and ive watched atleast 10+ of them. did he at any point in his career have decent matches with someone? maybe one of those he had with inoki were decent but their batting average was extremely low.
Pogo had this charm of wanting someone, anyone to put him in his place. Singh was the dirt worst and I just wanted his matches to be over