Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Watch the IWA Japan King of the Deathmatch 95 tournament.
http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=89

What follows is a patchy informal history of deathmatch wrestling as told by coconono, deathmatch wrestling fan. It is by no means complete or accurate.

This really is the genesis of hardcore/deathmatch wrestling. While you can point at bloody territories like Puerto Rico or WCCW, or iconic brawls like the Tupelo Concession Stand Brawl, the IWA deathmatch tournament VHS was the influencer for ECW's deathmatch forays, which later influenced CZW & IWA-MS(DS and EC), and from whom GCW, NPU and ICW:NHB all draw lineage from.

The major common name for early hardcore is Atsushi Onita. Japanese dude with roots in American wrestling. Currently has a promotion called FMW-E, which is a derivative of the legendary Frontier Martial Arts Wrestling(FMW). FMW, alongside BJW fostered deathmatch wrestling in the japanese scene spawning all manner of smaller offshoot promotions, including Apache Pro, FREEDOMS. There are other important names, such as Jun Kasai(who is VERY important), Hayabusa(RIP, find comps of this dude), Great Kojika, Mr Pogo(this dude should be in jail probably), Leatherface(RIP? there were several iterations but I believe all have since passed), as well as others helped create a wrestling microcosm that produced great wrestlers such as Daisuke Seikimoto, Abdullah Kobayashi, Emi Sakura, Kaori Yoneyama, Ryuji Ito and many others.

On the american side, Ian Rotten and John Zandig are the early names you want to look for. Nick Gage(alongside Jun Kasai) represent a "second generation" of deathmatch wrestlers and the start of the hybrid style that mixes the bloody displays with shoot or strong style wrestling. Sick Nick Mondo, Trent Acid(RIP), Justice Pain(RIP), Nate Hatred(RIP), Drake Younger(gently caress this guy), Necro Butcher(watch Joe vs Butcher but otherwise gently caress this guy) and many others rounded out a highly influential generation not just for deathmatches but for wrestling in general.

Modern deathmatch wrestling is global and wholly inclusive. Folx of all walks of life are welcome to bleed as long as they are respectful to the culture, the fans and each other. Even Ian Rotten(who had long since relegated to gently caress That Guy status) has cleaned up his act, making the IWA-MS deathmatch scene part of the larger network supported by GCW, No Peace Underground, ICW No Holds Barred and numerous little popup self produced deathmatch shows. Names like Jeff Cannonball, John Wayne Murdoch, Mickie Knuckles(very dangerous but also very sweet), Sadika(dangerous lunatic), Nick Gage(enjoying a folkhero resurgence after jailtime helped him get cleaned up), Matt Tremont(who is presently in a state of retiring and unretiring), Eric Ryan, Alex Colon, and a bunch of others oh god I said too many words again.

While going through the history is neat, I really reccommend jumping into the modern scene post haste. Go to the live shows when they come near you, even if you're alone, you will have an excellent time yelling for blood.

here's the cagematch link to the card for the IWA Japan KOTDM 95 so you can wikihole:
https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=24107&page=2

here's a banger FMW card:
https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=20492&page=2

I believe all these are up on IVP or similar sites. IWTV has a lot of FREEDOMS cards, shows NPU and ICW regularly live. BJW has its own streaming service that I haven't used. CZW is pretty much a steal it and don't give them money situation because gently caress DJ Hyde(called the cops on a GCW show because he thought they didn't have wrestlers immigration papers in order). GCW runs regularly on FITE.tv oh god I can't stop writing words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lumbermouth posted:

Oh also the Magnum TA/Tully Blanchard I Quit match if you want to see some 80s rear end dudes beat the dogshit out of each other until the ring is covered in blood.

Starrcade 85. Every match on that card had juice. If you can find an unmolested copy of the original broadcast, you're in for a treat. Both the WWE 24/7 and the VHS release were chopped down quite a bit.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Singh's only real charm is no one ever really smartened him up.

Pogo was just violent criminal that everyone tolerated for some unfathomable reason.