Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

barnold posted:

that's why he's dollar store howard stern to me (that and his looks). I think it was his no bullshit "it's sara or shan" right to their faces lol

I mean it WAS good tv yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

barnold posted:

that's why he's dollar store howard stern to me (that and his looks). I think it was his no bullshit "it's sara or shan" right to their faces lol

That was an incredible idiot line, I especially liked Sara straight up saying in the cutaway "he's playing like they did in 2001!".

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Survivor! :toot:

Danny and Xander are the most likable to me right off the bat. Shan's "conniving pastor" shtick might be fun but could also see it getting old quickly. Hopefully Evvie will be an entertaining gamebot type. JD's sort of a wildcard. Chances are he's out of his league, but there's something unique about him that I can't quite put my finger on. Some potential there.

The new dice twist is cool, and the Prisoner's Dilemma Summit thing would work well as a recurring deal (though maybe that was just a one-off).

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

“I found the come on in guys” incredibly annoying. Not that Jeff changed it, but how much they talked about it. Also instead of dropping guys to just “come on in” when folks is sitting right there and adds to Jeff’s folksiness.

Solid cast? I think I like pastor character the most, but none of them seem as smart as they think they are at the game.

Just rewatched season 31 and it bums me out somebody as smart as Kelly W isn’t seemingly there, but it’s early.

The quiet at the start types are the ones to watch out for. Voting out Sarah was such a dumb move when she’s a perfect bad player to take with you for awhile.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

LionArcher posted:

“I found the come on in guys” incredibly annoying. Not that Jeff changed it, but how much they talked about it. Also instead of dropping guys to just “come on in” when folks is sitting right there and adds to Jeff’s folksiness.

Same. If you even have to bring it up, someone told you it was problematic.

It's like Louis CK asking "someone mentioned it might be bad if I jerk off in front of you, but do you really mind if I keep doing it?" and the person of course saying "no i guess its ok you're my boss please dont fire me"

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Big fan of tall farmer man.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I do give him credit for trying to make a point about it but yeah you don't poll 18 people who are basically under duress in order to make that decision

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Farmer dude looks like Ted Danson mid-wolf man.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I don't think it's really that big of a deal for Jeff to have made a big deal about changing the "come on in guys" poo poo. It's just what he has done with Survivor for a long time. If there is a chance at making something into a conversation piece, Jeff is on it... And perhaps it's even needed to have it brought up directly on a primetime TV show. If Jeff just changed it without saying anything, then it wouldn't get much attention... The gender based greetings is relatively common. A lot of YouTubers still use the "Ladies and Gentlemen" stuff...

Also really, I am pretty annoyed if he's just going to say, "Come on in" instead of something like, "Come on in Survivors" or even "Come on in Tribe/s." The latter of which would even hit the same speech pattern...

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay, I'm guessing... poor man's Howard Stern, Harvard Nerd woman and Pastor make it far if they aren't eliminated before merge.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I imagine the pastor will make it far. She's a pastor so already you know she likely will have a really strong social game... but then if she's willing to backstab and lie to people too... Should be fun to watch. I think the "Dollar store Howard Stern" though will be a pretty quick vote off unless he gets slotted as a goat early on... People tend to not trust someone that will tell people to their face they are the target...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Some of these social gaffes might also completely evaporate if there's merge/swap fuckery sooner rather than later

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I don't think it's really that big of a deal for Jeff to have made a big deal about changing the "come on in guys" poo poo. It's just what he has done with Survivor for a long time. If there is a chance at making something into a conversation piece, Jeff is on it... And perhaps it's even needed to have it brought up directly on a primetime TV show. If Jeff just changed it without saying anything, then it wouldn't get much attention... The gender based greetings is relatively common. A lot of YouTubers still use the "Ladies and Gentlemen" stuff...

They approached it in the absolute worst way that was also always going to be the dumb way Jeff was going to approach it because it's the dumb way Jeff approaches everything like this. But go to Twitter and look up the #ComeOnInGuys hashtag to see a whole shitload of people who are absolutely furious that the PC Bullshit has made its way to Survivor and especially furious at Ricard for being the cause of it (even though Jeff said he wanted to change it anyway, and even though he directed the hate towards his own Twitter account). Ricard, I'm sure, will get a whole bunch of hate through the season and beyond because they couldn't just say "Hey, we feel weird about this phrasing, and everyone was mad at us about a different thing a couple seasons ago, so we want to change this now."

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Bloop posted:

Some of these social gaffes might also completely evaporate if there's merge/swap fuckery sooner rather than later

Which there absolutely will be, I'm expecting week 3/4 merge personally.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

What a fantastic episode. I thought the blue boat was taking on water and laughed a lot at the anchor reveal. I love the shot in the dark. I'm down for any twist that is announced from the start. One day we will get that Survivor: Everyone Has One Idol season.

Brad From 2001 and Tech Bro who instantly understood the prisoner's dilemma are my favorites.

I am very sad we didn't get four hours of people yelling about overlapping triangles. Bring that back but change the pattern so someone can't Spencer it and ruin the fun.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

obliriovrons posted:

They approached it in the absolute worst way that was also always going to be the dumb way Jeff was going to approach it because it's the dumb way Jeff approaches everything like this. But go to Twitter and look up the #ComeOnInGuys hashtag to see a whole shitload of people who are absolutely furious that the PC Bullshit has made its way to Survivor and especially furious at Ricard for being the cause of it (even though Jeff said he wanted to change it anyway, and even though he directed the hate towards his own Twitter account). Ricard, I'm sure, will get a whole bunch of hate through the season and beyond because they couldn't just say "Hey, we feel weird about this phrasing, and everyone was mad at us about a different thing a couple seasons ago, so we want to change this now."

Oh no, not going to make the mistake of diving into the nutbag right wing conservatives takes on Survivor 41... Especially not for Ricard with the Pregnant trans husband. That line is some serious venom to the rear end in a top hat trumpers.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I can’t even imagine the vitriol from Reddit over Survivor 41: Overly Woke, and it makes the season even more enjoyable

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nexous posted:

I can’t even imagine the vitriol from Reddit over Survivor 41: Overly Woke, and it makes the season even more enjoyable

Currently the top thread on /r/survivor is reflecting the above poster's thoughts, that while handled poorly, it's not a big deal, and people are being absurd talking about it the way they are.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I've been watching Survivor ever since Heroes vs. Villains, and that was maybe the best single episode I've seen. The changes they've made this season have been gold, and I appreciated their appreciation of the importance of the show.

This was filmed this April. That means it's probably the first time many of these people will be around strangers in a year. They're going to be hanging out in close proximity while mostly naked, and there's going to be some young singles. My point is, we're getting some island loving this year, guaranteed.

The tiny little doctor man with the eyebrows is already being called "Little David Rose" here.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Survivors interviewed afterwards consistently say that their sex drive disappears on the island, you are losing a pound or more each day and are so physically exhausted that you don't have any energy to be getting anything on.

But who knows, maybe the people who have been fuckin' on the island have been keeping it quiet all these years.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LionArcher posted:

The quiet at the start types are the ones to watch out for. Voting out Sarah was such a dumb move when she’s a perfect bad player to take with you for awhile.

It also feels like several people had their own agendas and ideas of what to do, attempted their own move switches and alliances, but ultimately they all just laid down to do what the giant Doctor Who guy wanted to happen. I think if they don't get rid of him at next opportunity, they've basically laid the foundation for an end-game run for the guy to be that obvious person barrelling their will through the game and it works and all along you don't get why anyone hasn't just taken him down too late its the final 4 now.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I thought there was always island loving, and that contestants have access to a medical tickle trunk full of condoms (and pads/tampons, sunscreen, whatever prescription medicines they need, contact lenses, etc etc.)

(ISTR that the sunscreen often doesn't get used as it either attracts bugs or gets too much sand stuck in it or some such.)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
There probably has been island loving, but this is a family show, so even though they will force women to dress gratuitously, they're not about show sex. And there's probably less of it today than there was in the past out of everyone's fear of being labeled as a couple voting together.

But we've all heard the rumors about the kind of stuff that goes down at Ponderosa.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Umm unless they have a pastor on the island to marry people secretly and we never find out, I don't think anyone on the island is having s*x. Unless you're accusing them of doing pre-marital which, idk... if you're going to levy serious accusations you should have some evidence before attacking someone's character?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The availability of condoms is not proof of loving, just responsibility. Don't fall victim to regressive evangelical hand wringing poo poo.

I'm sure there's been some loving but probably not a ton. You'd basically have to let them film you for one thing. There's no place you can go with another player that the cameras won't follow

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The Bloop posted:

The availability of condoms is not proof of loving, just responsibility. Don't fall victim to regressive evangelical hand wringing poo poo.

I'm sure there's been some loving but probably not a ton. You'd basically have to let them film you for one thing. There's no place you can go with another player that the cameras won't follow

It’s also a death sentence at this point in terms of the game. As for once they’re voted off but on the council though…

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Ozzy and Amanda hosed on FvF

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Who among us hasn't hosed Ozzy? Raise your hands.

I thought so.

(It was like having sex on cloud 9, or on top of the world, one of the two.)

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 28, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Shenanigans!

lmao

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah Brad's gotta go.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Nice scene for Naseer there.

Can't say I blame Brad for going to listen, but he was way too obvious about it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Also he had nothing to reveal lol

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Uh oh

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao whaaaaat

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
He has to say the same dumb thing every time hahaha

Why not put it back and save it till you really need an advantage! Man I thought he was smarter

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i don't think he should've spilled the beans even if he could trust his whole little group. losing your vote sucks, but half the battle is making sure people don't know that, at least not till it will become important.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Lol he's going to have to keep saying it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Way too much trusting chitter chatter

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what was the clue? world play something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

what was the clue? world play something?

Worth Playing For? I think

poo poo goes by fast