Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Yellow tribe being the disaster tribe was entirely predictable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Survivors interviewed afterwards consistently say that their sex drive disappears on the island, you are losing a pound or more each day and are so physically exhausted that you don't have any energy to be getting anything on.

But who knows, maybe the people who have been fuckin' on the island have been keeping it quiet all these years.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
JD's just a 20 year old kid, just like Erik Reichenbach he needs some good ol' life experience. Shame it had to happen getting humiliated on national TV, I hope he doesn't take his stint on Survivor too hard. Dalton Ross said in his recap that he's talked to many Survivors over the years who got mentally hosed up after the game, and he's worried JD might be one of those:

quote:

That has to be a difficult blow for anyone. It has to be even harder for a 20-year-old. And it has to be even harder for a 20-year-old who lives and breathes the game and talks about how Survivor saved him and made him who he is today and how he had dreamt time and time again about playing. I have talked to many former contestants in my Quarantine Questionnaires and elsewhere who came into the game like JD and came out really struggling mentally and emotionally after the real-life experience in the game did not match their sky-high expectations.

"To be out of the game I dreamt of playing my entire life, it sucks," said JD. "It sucks so bad. At least my hair looks cool." The hair line was funny, as he's trying not to be a Debbie Downer here, but it's clear the dude was bummed. And I totally get it. I really, really hope JD will not let this early exit get to him. I hope he is not embarrassed by his performance. I hope he is not crushed that his dreams came crashing down all around him — and on national television, no less.

https://ew.com/tv/recaps/survivor-season-41-episode-4/

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

I had no idea. I always struggled with finding the right format at hosting sites like imgur. Thanks for this info.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I seem to recall that Something Awful used to come down on hard back in the day for doing just this, not using your own hosting to share images, and if they were from a private site, then you would get put on probation. I think that's why I always tried to use sites like Imgur. I think there was even a term for what that's called, but it hasn't been an issue in so long it completely escapes me.

Just checked my probation history and I once got probated for a day in 2008 for leeching images from survivorfever.com :v: Learnt my lesson to go to Imgur from the Survivor threads.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=126347

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Honestly its kind of a minor miracle Cook Islands was as good as it was. There’s probably another timeline where it goes poorly and Survivor gets literally canceled.

That timeline is that the final four of that season is all white people which was very very possible.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

pokeyman posted:

All I can come up with is some misguided attempt to claim she didn't technically vote either of them out?

It's because they wanted to vote out Naseer/flush his idol, but they were concerned that if they voted for Naseer, Naseer votes for Heather, and Erika/Heather wised up and put votes on either of them then it would be 2-2-1, and if Naseer plays his idol then one of them would go home.

By playing the extra vote they ensured that this would not happen, even if Naseer played his idol and Erika/Heather turned on them.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
So Reiman (formerly Spencer) Bledsoe of Cagayan and Cambodia fame gave an unprompted AMA on Reddit today. It, uhh, well see for yourself:

https://old.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/rb4djj/reiman_spencer_bledsoe_ama/

edit: double Yikes

https://reiman.substack.com/p/the-heterarchy

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 8, 2021

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

I like Xander a lot, but I'm not surprised he got shut out. People over on reddit analyzed all the exit interviews, and apparently the jury did not like his game.

I'm glad Erika won. I would have preferred a Ricard win, but Erika played a great game and has a great sense of humor. So happy for her.

On Reddit: There were spoilers (that everyone believes came from a friend of Xander himself because they were very salty) that he got 0 votes

I was rooting for Erika, happy that she won!

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007

AWarmBody posted:

Erika's jury speech about going into boardrooms and people assuming she's an intern but she's actually running the meeting is a page out of my life. Like it is absolutely crazy how people will underestimate or discount a small woman. She took a common natural disadvantage and played it to her advantage.

I loved an Erika win for this season.

I'm not Filipino but I am Vietnamese and having a Southeast Asian woman win has made me happier than I thought it would.

Can imagine that a lot of women who have experiences being underestimated for being petite or mistaken for a secretary/intern/being told to fetch coffee/whatever else can relate to what Erika said and are pumped for her win, especially over two pretty strong-willed guys. Erika said in an interview that she had an emotional breakdown on her own before FTC because of the weight of recent FTC history and the immense pressure on a woman to win:

quote:

So here's the thing. I go back and forth between being super confident, but also being someone who suffered from imposter syndrome. So I knew that I had what it took to really be able to make my case in front of everybody. I've been a communications manager for almost 10 years, and that involves really trying to make things sound good, but also being okay when bad things get thrown at you.

But what the audience didn't see is before that Tribal Council, I actually had this huge breakdown by myself in the woods because the two guys felt so confident and I'm thinking: "How do you not have any doubt? How are you not afraid of anything?" And really the weight of being a woman who was going to go into Tribal Council against two men was really weighing on me. I think that when Heather left the night before it sucked because I was losing a close friend and my greatest ally, but at the same time I realized: "Oh my God, once again, I'm a woman that's going into the final Tribal Council with two men."

And according to recent history, when you're in that position, you never get many votes. And I knew that so many people wanted to see a woman win and I broke down thinking, I'm so close. I know that I've done enough to deserve the win, but I'm so scared that I'm not going to be able to bring it home. But after I really cried out all those tears, I thought, "I know that I've played a hell of a game. I know that I played to my strengths and I know that I have what it takes to take it home."

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-41-erika-casupanan-winner-finale-interview/

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
As many people have said a scene of Erika & Heather establishing an alliance should have been shown given how important it ended up being to the season and the end game. Ricard & Shan apparently developed a tight bond on the first day over his deafness and her autoimmune disease. Instead we got that awful 3rd episode where the first 30 minutes were literally all about twists including a Brad/Tiffany/Sydney detour to Shipwheel Island which ended up being totally irrelevant.

Any success of this season is because of the contestants despite the production getting in the way of themselves. If they repeat everything for S42, I'm wary that nonsense like the Knowledge is Power advantage and the Hourglass Twist can turn out much worse than they did this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Blaming the decline in ratings for S41 on a backlash to being woke or whatever the hell Russell's agenda is nowadays is disingenous nonsense:

quote:

Hantz has been vocally opposed to what he calls “Survivor” becoming “woke” this season, starting with host Jeff Probst doing away with using the term “guys.” He blames this for the falling ratings (which, again, is kind of the nature of broadcast TV now).

“The reason we are losing viewers is because of the wokeness — bottom line. Bottom f***ing line,” said Hantz, adding later, “This is the worst disaster when it comes to ratings in the history of ‘Survivor.'”

https://heavy.com/entertainment/survivor/russell-hantz-season-41-ruining-confusing/

You have to consider the context of a broader ratings decline for all live TV over the years. The ratings will continue to go down for the foreseeable future. Winners at War got worse ratings than Ghost Island, boy that must mean that people were angry about fire tokens and EoE.

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 17, 2021