Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

The Berzerker posted:

the first one I did spoiled the winner of what it was trying to convince me to watch (season 28),

bummer, that's one of the best -- It's still enjoyable even if you know the winner, especially because it seems so unlikely that person should win at times lol

Here's a list of summaries and rankings without spoilers (just don't scroll down to the comments at the bottom):
http://www.purplerockpodcast.com/survivor-season-rankings-spoiler-free-summaries/

Here's my personal list:

Season 7: Pearl Islands
Season 13: Cook Islands
Season 15: China
Season 16: Micronesia (some returning players, most important ones are from Cook Islands or China)
Season 18: Tocantins
Season 19: Samoa
Season 20: Heroes vs. Villains (Seasons 15-19 are pretty important to this one)
Season 28: Cagayan (i know you're spoiled on this one)
Season 32: Kaoh Rong
Season 33: Millennials vs Gen X

If I had to recommend three (and not Cagayan, and you've already seen David v Goliath) it would be Pearl Islands, Micronesia, and Heroes v Villains, though there's a lot of returners in the last two. If you don't really care about knowing backstory for returning players you can skip Samoa (there's only one player there who's important, though they feature *very* heavily in the next season) and China (it's still good and universally liked, it's just not personally that high for me) from my list.

e: oh and if you love silly advantages and twists, Season 34: Game Changers is a must watch (important returnees are from S28 Cagayan and S32 Kaoh Rong). Lots of people hate S34 and for good reasons, but it's one of my guilty pleasures. Season 36 Ghost Island has a lot of callbacks to previous seasons' advantages, as well. Also Season 40 turned out much better than it has any right to be, but it'll also spoil literally everything before it (it's the All-Winners season).

Spokes fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Good lord, this season needs a miracle. Seasons succeed in spite of casting all the time, but I’ve never seen one *fail* so badly in spite of casting. I’m genuinely interested in a dozen of the remaining players, why does watching them feel like pulling teeth?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thank you for a good episode, mr probst and cbs. please, ten more.

also lmao good luck throwing a challenge when Naseer is around. look at the size of his traps holy poo poo that man is a truck

Also I love that they took a few minutes to compose a version of Shan’s Mischief Theme and that we got to revisit it

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

Hi, its me the guy who watched every fifth season or so. I watched way more of the early season but haven't seen much, if any, of the newer stuff. Is Winners At War a solid time?

It's very watchable (minor spoilers about season format below)

some of the gameplay is pretty unimpressive (especially from winners), and edge of extinction sucks 20 minutes out of every episode and kind of blows the finale up. that said it's in my top 10, certainly.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I really enjoyed both boot camp and celebrity boot camp

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

i feel like half of every episode is about shan (who, to be clear, is my favorite player to watch by far) but if she doesn't go to the finale i'm going to feel like my time was *very* wasted

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Raxivace posted:

David vs. Goliath sort of kind of had a celebrity theme, almost. I mean it didn't really but there were a few on there.

Yeah, somewhat certainly--though if Mike White hadn't been a celebrity they probably would have won

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Erika not smashing the hourglass would have been worse than you-know-who giving away the immunity necklace imo, I’m glad she avoided that. Agree that Xander oversold the fake but not sure how much of that was in editing. No jury yet, huh? Interesting. I love gimmicks but hate advantage overload so I’m glad they haven’t found a ton of stuff post merge and there’s a couple things off the table now. Bitter Sydney is extremely funny. Good episode, if not the pure dry strategy I was hoping to get some of this season at some point.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Boomer opinion alert:

i think whispering at TC is complete bullshit and the point is you’re supposed to have your plan and backups configured before you get there and if you have to figure poo poo out publicly or talk in code or something that should be on you

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

Good thing he didn't, but it was the wrong choice. I'm dumb but my math friends tell me you always, *always* switch

I would have asked “were you always going to reveal a skull” because I feel like you’d get to know that, probably right?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Spokes posted:

I would have asked “were you always going to reveal a skull” because I feel like you’d get to know that, probably right?

never mind, i just remembered this was the season that's given us such hits as "that immunity challenge didn't count, and the winners actually lost, lol"

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Sorry, to be clear I am rejecting the actual logic that it becomes a 2/3 chance the switch box is correct and 1/3 the original box is instead of it just evenly distributing the odds to 50/50. I understand the logic behind it and don't care.

i watched it last night and said, out loud, to my wife: "someone on the internet is going to get me into an argument about this tomorrow and i'm not going to let them"

she said: "yes you are."

and here i am

i don't see how you can understand *and* reject the logic, knowing you're always presented the option to switch

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I simply reject that all of the probability shifts to one door instead of splitting equally.

That's all, it's not really a large leap in logic.

the easiest way to think about it is:

if you always switch, that means you *win* if you initially picked a skull, and you *lose* if you initially picked fire. right?

like, if math is not something you have any interest in that's okay but you don't really get to go "well, this is the answer to a fairly simple problem to me, and this is just my belief and it's equally valid"

something about monty hall gives people brain worms lol

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

nexous posted:

Next season on survivor:

plane on a treadmill

.999999999999… = 1

PEMDAS

e: also, say they have tribal council every other day and argue about how many are in a week

Spokes fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 2, 2021

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Brass posted:

My own opinion about the Monty Hall problem is that there was a ZER0% chance he was going to pick the wrong one because production made it obvious to him somehow which one was correct.

this seems correct tbh. i'm becoming a full-on blackpilled survivor conspiracy theorist

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

The next Aus season is Blood vs Water, and Sandra and her daughter are on it, so that might be worth a watch just for the novelty.

i saw that spoiler (it's just casting, though relevant to US fans) a while ago and was like "holy poo poo" but couldn't find it sourced anywhere else. very excited and will tune in.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

i'm glad to see that every comment on the reddit thread is absolutely thrashing him lmao

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Xander... still has an idol, right? i didn't see it get mentioned at all this week and it's kind of blown me away that he keeps skating through these tribals after there was so much chatter about it and so much was made about him not playing it

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

So with the benefit of end-of-season hindsight I’m confident in saying that the hourglass was the worst twist on survivor history that didn’t involve eliminated players returning, and it might leapfrog past that given enough time. It (probably) didn’t affect the ending too much but it’s just so, so bad. Feel like we’re one season away from an immunity necklace nullifier lmao what’s the point of anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Overdrift posted:

Is anyone running a goon s42 tribal council league again? I enjoyed being part of last season's league and I was even at the top for most of it, until the dark horse not on my roster came in and won it all.

I saw chili and Cena talking about it…somewhere lol. Can’t remember