Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I never watches survivor until covid, and now have binged a lot of seasons. I love Boston Rob. I love this show and can't wait for the new season and to watch it with you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The Bloop posted:

He's kind of a goober but he's so drat likable

exactly. I also have only seen the season where he won and the most recent season where he came back. Is it worth it to watch the season where he meets his wife?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

“I found the come on in guys” incredibly annoying. Not that Jeff changed it, but how much they talked about it. Also instead of dropping guys to just “come on in” when folks is sitting right there and adds to Jeff’s folksiness.

Solid cast? I think I like pastor character the most, but none of them seem as smart as they think they are at the game.

Just rewatched season 31 and it bums me out somebody as smart as Kelly W isn’t seemingly there, but it’s early.

The quiet at the start types are the ones to watch out for. Voting out Sarah was such a dumb move when she’s a perfect bad player to take with you for awhile.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay, I'm guessing... poor man's Howard Stern, Harvard Nerd woman and Pastor make it far if they aren't eliminated before merge.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The Bloop posted:

The availability of condoms is not proof of loving, just responsibility. Don't fall victim to regressive evangelical hand wringing poo poo.

I'm sure there's been some loving but probably not a ton. You'd basically have to let them film you for one thing. There's no place you can go with another player that the cameras won't follow

It’s also a death sentence at this point in terms of the game. As for once they’re voted off but on the council though…

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

I watched the first two seasons of Survivor back when they aired but then didn't watch it again. On a whim my partner and I watched season 37 because we saw a couple of celebrities in the cast who we were familiar with, and it was an awesome season of television.

It's unlikely that we will go back and watch 40 seasons of this, and I am scared to look up "best season" articles online because the first one I did spoiled the winner of what it was trying to convince me to watch (season 28), so I thought I would ask here instead. We're going to catch up on the current season, but looking to the past for anyone who has been into the show for a long time, can you tell me the "must watch" seasons without spoiling? I've heard seasons 7 and 20 are good, but 20 seems to be returning cast members and I worry that if I watch it, I'd be potentially spoiling any of the previous 20 seasons and don't want to do that if there are some great ones in the early years. I will add that we're really into the twist elements (idols, nulls, vote steals, whatever) and I don't know how many of those were a part of the show in the early years... if that influences what you think is worth checking out.

Season 22 is worth a watch.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SweetJahasus posted:

The thing about the hourglass twist is that she would be a fool to not smash it.

Smash it, you're immune and yeah your old tribe people are mad at you (assuming she doesn't already know they're targeting her) but you can explain to them that.....

If you don't smash it, you're vulnerable with a group of people you've just told that you DIDNT save, when you could have, so of course they're all just gonna up and vote you out.

It's a non-decision. It's like, go home or don't go home. Easy.

Yeah, the pro move is to literally smash it as soon as he hands you the hammer and say, I’m in it to win it while winking at the camera.

That would have been a truly great survivor moment.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Its fine I guess. I don't really have a problem with most of the twists but the cast is a little boring IMHO.

I really need to see how the merging goes before I make a call. But general agree with this.

I need some messy poo poo that makes sense real fast. We've got a lot of bad players here, with the preacher being the best villain of the group that's fun.
I have a feeling the "secret black alliance" is going to blow up in their faces in a hilarious/awkward fashion though.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

RatHat posted:

Screw back to basics, go even harder on the gimmicks. Every episode has a new idol with a 5 minute explanation. Every other episode someone from a previous season suddenly appears to derail the game. The final jury is like 50 people. Jeff is a contestant

I have always wanted him to be a contestant.

And like, two spy’s in the group, that can’t win, but can plot together, and no one knows they are the spy’s. Do weird poo poo.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Maybe less pissed than if they had to stand around for an extra hour or two? Mostly it's just embarrassing for this gaggle of scrubs.

I don't think she's the first person with a church job on the show and I vaguely recall other pastor types in the past being manipulative and tricky/shady before too and idk if that's impacted their careers or not, but it seems pretty trivial these days for folks to compartmentalize their survivor behaviour and their regular-life. What you expect of a pastor is also subjective, I personally would take anyone telling me they were a pastor as a big red flag, if not assume they directly involved with the evil things I associate with people with religious authority as doing whenever they can get away with it. The way Shan is acting seems incredibly consistent with my stereotypes of a pastor: she occasionally makes a show of being compassionate and listening to others but ultimately she believes that the path she believes is the right one and it's a matter of convincing others to not only go along with it, but believe it as well.

You do get that aside from CEO types and cops pastors/preachers probably is one of the largest groups of people that are made up of a heavy percentage of folks that are total sociopaths narcissistic types right?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I feel your pain. With Star Trek Prodigy, Lower Decks, Picard... after every episode it plays the same Discovery Season 1, which is the cringiest 1 minute of any show intro ever, just creepy klingon anti-ASMR. Their app is ridiculous and theyre trying to force p[eople onto it to watch any Trek... but they can't even keep track of your progress in an episode or if you've watched it before or not.

Not gonna way this thread down with details, but people in a congregation can accept much, much worse actions, crimes, and behaviour without a hitch in their stride. Entire church communities might rally around the pastor for their wrongdoing AGAINST the victims in question. Without any insight into her specific congregation, I would still always assume that the pastor's congregation will be infinitely more forgiving of transgressions than outsiders and that "being sneaky on a gameshow where that behaviour is encouraged and often pivotal to success" will be held against them.

I wish I was a good rememberer because I know players before have used things like swearing to god or something sacred to them (maybe one or some of the dirty cops?), and then to private camera was like "yes, ill swear literally anything it doesnt matter, my faith in whatever still remains, my god or squad aint buggin, as long as the rubes beleive what i need them to"

Yeah but way you're asking makes it sound like you interpreted as what I said as positive, when I basically said even without any evidence I assume automatically they are criminals until proven only complicit in crime.

My bad, I was more just making a statement about pastures but in no way meant to come off like I was dunking on you. So basically I'm "this" your post. I've had a lot of dealings with a pasture or two that as far as I'm concerned should be behind bars, so I'm quick to jump to tossing em. But I do love her as a villain, and want her to return in the future.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Very glad I get every broadcast network clear as a bell with a $30 antenna

I really, really need to do this before NBA is on regular stations this spring again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

The possible pagonging of all the black players in a row could get unfortunate looking. If I were a conspiratorial watcher I'd suggest that race talk was aired to soften it.

I was laughing my rear end off at the good race chat that happened.... and then they voted off the last black woman, lead by an alliance of the most manipulative/smart gay dude and the failing upwards white christian dude.

If that doesn't sum up America progressive culture, I don't know what does.