Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Haven't watched Survivor in a few years and really enjoyed that first one, I liked them acknowledging covid instead of pretending it's just another normal season. The 'come on in guys' thing I liked at first, but when it got brought back up later I got the feeling they were going to change it regardless and wanted to make a thing about changing, it just felt kinda fake even if it was genuine. I like the dice as a last resort desperation thing, and having that potential for someone clearly doomed to turn things around even without a hidden idol will hopefully make something fun happen later. I just hope they don't have to show they used it before the votes, so if someone uses their dice and it turns out not to have been needed they can maintain the image of still having it.

Khanstant posted:

oh my god boston rob is hiding in the lookout tower you can see his shoes
I like this too, like you can spot possible twists coming if you're paying attention. Like knowing where the idol was hidden made that search so much funnier when she was literally leaning on it at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Keeping it to one new twist also means they could introduce the others in other seasons. Whereas it kinda feels like they’ve got twist blue balls from the year off and are chucking out all the ideas they had at once so the well thought out twist someone probably spent all year refining and which could become a new core element gets kinda tossed in.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If it sticks around I bet it's replaced by a coin or some other kind of token pretty quickly.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Overdrift posted:

My partner and I thought we were all smug with our triangle answer, but I guess we were way off on our guess (31) and the real answer according to reddit is 51

Both tribes were smart to not take that one, the triangle puzzle is a nightmare especially if you're already overwhelmed by a new place and tired from a day of rowing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

barnold posted:

that's why he's dollar store howard stern to me (that and his looks). I think it was his no bullshit "it's sara or shan" right to their faces lol

That was an incredible idiot line, I especially liked Sara straight up saying in the cutaway "he's playing like they did in 2001!".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Some of these social gaffes might also completely evaporate if there's merge/swap fuckery sooner rather than later

Which there absolutely will be, I'm expecting week 3/4 merge personally.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Brad was the dumbest player I'd ever seen until Xander showed everyone he didn't have a vote and confirmed he also didn't have a hidden idol. Then Tiff started panicking before Tribal despite knowing this. Then Voce started talking during Tribal. There's a fine assortment of incredible dumbasses in this group. Evie might actually be the only smart person on that entire tribe.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Raxivace posted:

How on Earth could they not just get rid of Xander here?

I assume because Tiff didn’t understand the beware idol or thought Xander had another hidden idol completely ignoring that’s why you blindside people you know have idols for gently caress sake. Though he’s going to hang himself eventually since he’s not smart enough to wait until everyone else has had a bit more time to idol hunt before exposing his weird passphrase.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think Evvie's making a lot of bets knowing she's going into the merge as part of the smallest tribe, so she wants to have at least one ally somewhere else. I don't think it's going to work but I can at least see what she's trying to do.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah that's the impression I got too, that he didn't have to say the phrase every time or even immediately.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OK I looked it back and here's the exact wording.

quote:

At the next immmunity challenge, you must say a secret phrase in front of the other players. If another player has found their idol, they will reply with their secret phrase. Once all three phrases have been said at the same immunity challenge, then all three idols have power.
So yes he didn't actually have a choice here.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

On the other hand it's very funny for it to be a trap for the overconfident swaggering fucks who are constantly in an absolute belief that they have the entire game figured out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

And Evvie already told someone on another tribe about the whole twist, so if they find it or someone else does they know the gimmick.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I never watched the first season but there’s a moment in the first UK series in 2001 I think where a dude knows 100% he’s being voted out and does nothing to even try and change that outcome. I feel that’s pretty indicative of early Survivor weirdness.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I’d assume the idol gets rehidden but Evvie could totally do that, which would be hilarious. Even more so if she kept that info to herself and used it for alliance power.

Also one of the producers said on twitter that Xander also can’t use his dice while he doesn’t have a vote. He’s completely powerless.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm warmer on the season so far than some of y'all but jesus christ I was fully zoning out as basically the entire pre-challenge section was on dealing with various advantages. It's week 3 and there's already 4 different gimmicks knocking about. At least Ua was smarter than Yase in hauling the inactive idol out of the game at the first possible opportunity.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Overdrift posted:

Hopefully any future 'beware' advantages will have something a bit more interesting than 'can't vote' because sneaking out of camp really doesn't seem that hard when it's pitch black and people get up to piss all the time.

I enjoyed Brad overthinking it and building a loving mannequin (and almost certainly being seen by Deshawn) followed by shots of the other 2 literally just getting up and walking to the boat.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Pretty sure I've already said this once but Brad's the kind of idiot who thinks they have everything figured out that makes early game Survivor fun.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

TheCenturion posted:

Right, so, if you can’t vote at any tribal council due to the weird immunity idol, how does steal a vote work? You steal it, but can’t play it yourself, so the only benefit is depriving the other person of a vote?

I’d rather have seen that three person nighttime thing be Jeff roll out and say “welcome to tribal council, where one of you will be voted out.”

You can't use it, because to steal a vote you need to be able to vote. Not being able to vote also disables your other advantages I believe, since the producers confirmed to someone asking on Twitter that not being able to vote also means you can't use your dice.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's going to be incredibly funny when Shan stabs Ricard in the back.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Survivor needs to take lessons from De Mol where every advantage has a clear visual object associated with it, having every advantage be a generic looking scroll makes it super hard to tell from the start what everything is, and there's no way of easily showing on screen someone's collection.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sighence posted:

So shot in the dark is a one-per-customer deal right? Must've missed that their first time explaining it. Lol if that's the case then, it'll get used zero times. What a joke of a season this is winding up to be. I'm still enjoying it, but JD's spy shack is every bit a metaphor for this season: twists for their own sake with everything around the actual core action falling to bits.

It's already been used by someone I believe, it's a one time desperation move.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Not gonna lie, a gimmick where you could drag someone down with you would be very funny. Would be absolutely terrible for the game but I'd laugh my rear end off the first time it happened.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sand Monster posted:

So much cringe with Jeff cheering on the losing tribe and calling it the most inspiring physical effort he's ever seen or whatever the hell he said. Why they continue to lean into the overproduction baffles me.

Jeff's ego over all is basically the theme of this season. Every twist is talked about like something he came up with personally like he's the corporate sponsor they have to name drop constantly which is giving me terrible Treasure Hunters flashbacks because that's not how people talk and you don't even have a big money sponsor to keep happy.

Also yes, the hourglass isn't even a decision. You know you're on the outs with your former tribe because they sent you to isolation, why the hell wouldn't you give yourself immunity and gain favour with a group that's going to have a guaranteed 6v5 advantage? Really the one thing keeping me on this season is the players like Shan, Ricard and Lindsay who are so incredibly stupid that its very funny watching them burn what should be strong positions because they can't help themselves, like blabbing about someone else's advantage to someone you've only just met.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 28, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ironic Twist posted:

Anyone remember the Mole? That's what this season reminds me of. That show was all about dilemmas and strategy games and mindgames and just nonstop loving with the contestants at every opportunity. Those immunity idol code phrases in particular definitely gave me Mole flashbacks.

I'm a fan. Jeff needs to stop hyping himself up and mugging for the camera, though.

If you want The Mole, the Dutch and Belgian versions get subtitled by fans and put on Youtube and you should go watch those because they're awesome. There was one great moment in one recent season where the first player eliminated was brought back in in the middle of a task set in a theatre and everyone was told if someone went and sat with him he'd be brought back into the game and they'd get an exemption but they'd also fail the task for the team. So he had to sit there in this theatre and watch everyone very pointedly cut his lifeline while he had to silently beg them to come over to him, it ruled.

Lampsacus posted:

Has he stuck to his 'don't say guys' thing? I feel like it was a natural beat and he totally could have just swapped it out for "folks," instead.

Yeah, it's just "come on in" now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Studio posted:

What if to compete in Immunity Challenges they have to fly to different countries around the world and shovel manure/skydive, and then return to the island for tribal council. CBS hire me.

Does Phil still have that haircut that looks like he stole it from NSync?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm a Brit and it's always been rock paper scissors for me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'd like it if they at least stripped it back to hidden idols and the occasional season specific gimmick. Like the dice, prisoners dilemma stuff and beware advantages would all work perfectly well as one season things.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jeff as a contestant is something that could go either way, either everyone wants to keep him around because it's Jeff or everyone is desperate to blindside him because it's Jeff.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That post a way back about The Mole and celebrity seasons of reality shows making it seem desperate might be a thing, plus celebrity booking costs money and probably doesn't bump the ratings much if at all.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I first saw Amazing Race when a friend was so eager for people to see this new show he'd found on A Legal Download Site that he burned season 6 onto 2 DVDs and sent them to me. I liked it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I remember when Let's Play threads sometimes came with a tag to say they weren't 56k modem friendly.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This series is a loving mess and I think this episode tipped it back over to the entertaining mess side of things.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Man the poo poo that I'm expecting to come out about this season once it's all done is going to be blazing hot.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If that pyramid puzzle hadn't gotten solved within seconds I would've been unreasonably angry, that's one of those puzzles I have to believe literally everyone into gameshows has seen done multiple times.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

freeman posted:

Really great move by Ricard and Erika. Xander with the diamond hands.

Xander's ability to hold his nerve with the idol has been amazing, especially as he's watched 2 other people now leave with idols in their pockets.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm expecting Ricard to get targeted because Shan straight up said out loud she was voting for him at final.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

gotta think they try and get ricard out next ep if they can

I think they go one more, but with how strong Ricard is in challenges I think it's a mistake to not get him out while they have the chance.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't know who Monty Hall is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah that's my read, Danny's a complete non-threat with enemies on the jury who people should absolutely want in the final 3.