Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Khanstant posted:

you put the die in a thing, then draw from a bag with 1/6 chance to be safe but lose vote... why they don't roll that die for the same exact odds?

Zero chance of ambiguity if you roll the die and it falls off of the table or something, would be my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I like it; a constant paranoia generator, and a reminder that you're throwing the dice. But not a guarantee by any stretch.

I'd love to see HIIs go away completely, and be replaced by advantages. "This advantage gives you two draws if you choose to spend your emergency die. If you draw the 'safe' on your first draw, the bag will be reset, and you may draw again. If you draw 'safe' a second time, you may bank that 'safe' and play it, only on yourself, at any tribe council until there are only six players in the game.'

Or a second die; you can only spend one die per TC. You may transfer this die to another player.

Or assignable penalties. "You may spend this token to give a player of your choice disadvantage in the next challenge. This token must be played at the challenge, in the open." So you can hamper a rival, but there will be consequences.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I thought there was always island loving, and that contestants have access to a medical tickle trunk full of condoms (and pads/tampons, sunscreen, whatever prescription medicines they need, contact lenses, etc etc.)

(ISTR that the sunscreen often doesn't get used as it either attracts bugs or gets too much sand stuck in it or some such.)

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I like the idea of “there are no advantages, just twists with upsides and downsides, choose.” I want to see it extended.

Like, the whole “winner gets immunity, AND fishing gear, runner up gets immunity, AND fishing gear, loser doesn’t even get flint, gently caress you” is just terrible.

Here are three rewards: immunity, fishing gear, rice and beans. First tribe to complete the puzzle chooses one. Second tribe chooses from the remaining two. Last tribe gets whatever’s left.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Or Hatch straight-up sexually assaulting people. And Grindgate. “I love my wife 120%.”

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

MisterZimbu posted:

Twist ideas:

1. Each player gets 20 votes at the start of the game to last the entire game. Votes can be bartered with, traded, etc. Maybe won in rewards and used as currency for survivor auction
2. As 1, but each player gets 0 votes and all the blank parchment is scattered throughout the woods like immunity idols
3. As 2, but the parchment isn't blank and players must find the vote for the people they want to vote out. Some fake votes will be in the woods also that have peoples' names misspelled that do not count
4. As 1, but you get 5000 votes. But the parchment is edible and votes are your only food source
5. As 1, but you get 50000 votes, all trees are removed from fiji and votes are your only shelter and firewood

6. The players are all walking, sentient piles of parchment. They have to peel strips off of themselves every time they want to vote; they can vote as many times as they like.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Right, so, if you can’t vote at any tribal council due to the weird immunity idol, how does steal a vote work? You steal it, but can’t play it yourself, so the only benefit is depriving the other person of a vote?

I’d rather have seen that three person nighttime thing be Jeff roll out and say “welcome to tribal council, where one of you will be voted out.”

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Brass posted:

Evie crying that a cis-white dude would stick his neck out for her when she admits she wouldn't have done the same... lol I'm loving this new woke survivor.

You know, based on her official contestant bio, I thought she would be absolutely insufferable. But unlike lots of other players, I haven’t seen her state that she’s basing her gameplay on racial or gender lines.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Yeah, immunity should be inviolable. Once you have immunity, you're safe at the next tribal council. Period. If you have a hidden immunity idol, sure, somebody else might have a 'steal an idol' type advantage, but the moment you say "I'm playing this," it's in play, and that's that.

This sort of 'lol no you don't have immunity now because of something you had no way of foreseeing, or even knowing was a possibility' gimmick just turns the game into straight-up coin flips. I feel like it violates the fundamental premise of the game.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Given how salty Shan seems to be about Erica, I wonder.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I like the 'math doesn't really apply, because Monty is there to make an entertaining game show, not a practical problem in applied mathematics' answer to the question.

https://ima.org.uk/4552/dont-switch-mathematicians-answer-monty-hall-problem-wrong/

But here's a great breakdown of the original Marilyn Vos Savant solution:

https://priceonomics.com/the-time-everyone-corrected-the-worlds-smartest/

Monty Hall posted:

"[After I opened a door with a goat], they'd think the odds on their door had now gone up to 1 in 2, so they hated to give up the door no matter how much money I offered...The higher I got, the more [they] thought the car was behind [the other door]. I wanted to con [them] into switching there. That's the kind of thing I can do when I'm in control of the game. You may think you have probability going for you when you follow the answer in her column, but there's the psychological factor to consider."

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

I simply reject that all of the probability shifts to one door instead of splitting equally.

That's all, it's not really a large leap in logic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

oh hey is that the mortal kombat blood code for genesis?

or the level skip code for Aladdin I can't remember they were both similar

I don't know why you're bringing up old genesis games in survivor chat though

No, it's a visual representation of the math you claim doesn't exist.

The Mortal Kombat 'code of honor' was ABACABB.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Which cracks me up when there are shows out there offering sub million prizes, sometimes for longer commitments than survivor.

It makes me sad that people are willing to suffer more for, for less money.

500k these days is life changing not because it enables you to buy a mansion or quit your job, but because it might just allow you do something that we'd regard as so basic and automatic, like own a house, or pay off student loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I still think that the game rewards victory with move victory. "The winner gets immunity, PLUS food. Losers go to tribal council."

I'd like to see this.

"Want to know what you're playing for? Immunity, a steak dinner, and a tarp. Winner gets first pick of one of those three. Second place gets pick of the left over two. Third place gets the remaining item."