Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SalTheBard posted:

I can't wait for Survivor to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

All-Stars is probably one of the ugliest pieces of mainstream television out there, but that's also what makes it incredibly fascinating IMHO especially after one has binged seasons 1-7.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly I prefer it when they don't hide away from these kinds of things. I like the show being a time capsule tbh.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How on Earth could they not just get rid of Xander here?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Has it been said yet if F4 Firemaking is a thing or not this season?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RIP Brad I guess.

His stuff about them drat kids hanging out instead of working at camp almost made him feel like a guy you might have seen in like the first 7 or so seasons of Survivor, but then all the bizarre advantage stuff started happening.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think Fishbach pointed this out on Know-It-Alls, but its interesting that for as many whacky advantages there are this season, nobody has even had a functioning Idol yet.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I feel bad for JD but he was real, real bad at Survivor.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Supposedly Tyson and Aras wanted to throw a challenge to get Colton out, but couldn’t successfully throw it. Then Colton just quit the next day anyways.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sounds like some racist rear end in a top hat attacked Michelle Yi from Survivor Fiji.

https://twitter.com/murtzjaffer/status/1449555788306001920

The gently caress is wrong with people?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The hourglass thing seems like the kind of weird twist you would find like the first 10 or so seasons. Like it vaguely reminds me of that challenge from...Pearl Islands I think, where the jury was competing against the remaining players to prevent any of them from getting Immunity.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Its fine I guess. I don't really have a problem with most of the twists but the cast is a little boring IMHO.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I don't really miss the times where if your opponents had too tight of an alliance you were basically screwed unless you were a challenge beast.

Idols and twists are good IMHO, at least generally speaking.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I will say though if you were to do away with Idols/advantages, you would absolutely have to bring back challenges designed to create discord in social dynamics. Stuff like the coconut chop "pecking" order thing, or that one that forced you to shittalk tribemates by asking survey questions like "who is the smelliest?" etc.

I think in the modern era of soulless gamebotting that still probably isn't enough to sway people into acting against their alliance (And you would probably just get new "meta" strategy for coconut chop that would account for how pecking order is perceived), but it was something back in the day at least.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

David vs. Goliath sort of kind of had a celebrity theme, almost. I mean it didn't really but there were a few on there.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rick Devens had my favorite response to the twist on RHAP.

"The Edge of Extinction doesn't seem so bad now, does it?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This whole conversation really makes me wonder about Shan as a player. Like if she gets to face the jury at the end of the game, are we going to get the Shan that alienates some people, or the Shan that's great at smooth talking people into giving them advantages (Or in this case the million dollars)?

Like now that we're in the merge, how is she actually perceived?

EDIT: I guess what I'm really asking is what we think her jury management skills are going to be like.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 5, 2021

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly its kind of a minor miracle Cook Islands was as good as it was. There’s probably another timeline where it goes poorly and Survivor gets literally canceled.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I have to agree with Bloop here, the time travel goofiness isn't quite as bad as its made out to be. I wouldn't exactly be upset if it never showed up again, but the David Bloomberg types that are all like "JEFF LIED TO THE PLAYERS ZOMG" are being a bit hyperbolic tbh.

I think Steal an Idol is actually more unfair but it worked out because a lot of these players are bad at Survivor.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 10, 2021

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That whole papaya thing seemed bad on Ricard to me. Like he must have known how bad that looked, even if Shan hadn’t said anything.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Fast Luck posted:

survivor 41 drop the 4 keep the 1 because that was a s1 rear end vote
This really does feel like some bizarro version of Borneo the longer it goes on. Supposedly the winner was even announced at FTC!

EDIT: Listening to Tiff’s exit interview on RHAP and she seems super burned.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 11, 2021

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There have been several times this season they should have knocked out Xander tbh. He should have been gone in the drat premerge before his idol even activated.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It might be an emotional move by Deshaun more than anything considering his recent spats with Shan. But that wouldn't explain Danny going with it exactly.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

blue squares posted:

I’ve never been less excited for a finale
Yeah unless we get an absolutely hilarious Heather meme win, this is probably my least favorite season since I started regularly watching again with Heroes/Healers/Hustlers tbh (Season 39 poo poo aside).

Like I'm still happy to have had Survivor back, but this cast just did not land for me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Erika's win is fine. She's not a great Survivor character the way someone like Sandra is, but her win doesn't really deserve the hate it seems to be getting online.

Still wasn't a huge fan of 41 overall, but I'm looking forward to 42.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

They're not entirely identical scenarios, but I can't help but compare Xander not going against Erika in fire to Natalie A. not going against Tony in fire last year.

Beating Tony is almost certainly a higher hurdle to overcome than beating Erika, but it really makes me wonder what Xander thought of that and if he compared his F4 situation to S40's at all.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I still say Knowledge is Power is the worst twist or advantage ever.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://twitter.com/russellhantz/status/1472694727128535040

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Clearly the dating game is ffffllllllaaaawwwwweeeeeddddd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Literally the reason I got Paramount+ lmao.