Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I wonder if Jeff is still going to give his same pregame speech now that it is 26 days instead of 39 days. Or maybe he'll change it up so they can keep the casual viewers in the dark about the show being 2 weeks shorter?

Do you mean the "X people, Y days, One survivor! " Catchphrase

Because that would be a weird and suspicious omission unless the whole format is different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SalTheBard posted:

I can't wait for Survivor to start.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'll wait and decide if it sucks after I watch it if it's all the same to you

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If they really beat the hell out of them like Jeff is implying it should be interesting

Having to get weirdos to make it interesting is to me a sign that the format was needing some kind of change

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nihonniboku posted:

Oh, I don't know. I think the show started to falter when almost everyone they cast were recruited, and a large number of those were models/actors who didn't care about the game at all and were just there for a free vacation.

The show started to get good again when they started casting fans. It's definitely a different show today than it was even 10 years ago, but it's better than it was for 5 years or so there.

Yeah. I agree with this

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

STONE COLD 64 posted:

what kind of country is 41

we're doing metric now

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

"The other change for Survivor 41 was on the creative side," says Probst. "And that started with a phone call with former player Mike White. Survivor fans know him as the guy who almost won David vs. Goliath, but he's also one of the most successful writer-producer-directors in Hollywood. In other words, he is a master storyteller."

As Probst and his producing team were coming up with twists and tweaks for the new season, he decided to run them by the erstwhile contestant and creator of HBO's hit series The White Lotus to see what he thought. After all, it's not the first time the writer/actor had weighed in before on a creative idea. Turns out, for the second time in Survivor history, White's decidedly mixed reaction changed everything.

"I was in my garage with several white boards, working on creative for Survivor 41," says the host. "I called Mike for his insight into a story-related element. He listened politely as I laid out the idea. It was an elaborate and very complicated Survivor capitalist society that would be driven by players earning money (Fire Tokens) and spending them on shelter, rewards, and advantages. When I finished the pitch, I asked him what he thought. He paused for a moment and said, 'Well… it sounds… in-ter-est-ing. But is it fun?'"

For Probst, those four words "changed everything" about Survivor 41. "I couldn't erase the white boards fast enough," he says. "I had spent well over a year working on this idea, and yet it still felt so good to throw it out because it was so clear that it sucked! I called [executive producer] Matt Van Wagenen and said, 'Forget everything we've been working on! Throw it out! From now on, fun is the only thing that matters!'"

Survivor is a complicated game with complicated rules (good luck trying to explain all the options at play in the Ghost Island marooning challenge), and Probst's chat with The White Lotus creator made the host and showrunner realize his team should be focusing their efforts in another direction.

"Mike really gave me a gift because he not only pulled me out of an idea that would have really bogged down the game, but he connected me to a much bigger idea: After everything we have all gone through with COVID, we just need to have some fun. That became the driving creative focus on Survivor 41. Every time I would talk with Matt, one of us would ask the other, 'Is it fun?'"

So what kind of fun can we expect? "What we soon realized was the best kind of Survivor fun is the dangerous kind," says Probst. "So we really leaned into danger when crafting this season. We approached Survivor 41 as though the game was like the monster in a horror movie. Either you devour the monster, or the monster will devour you. And by giving the game the personality of a monster, it really sparked a lot of ideas. Suddenly anything was possible. There was no twist too big, too scary, too controversial. It didn't matter. The game is the monster, and let me be clear, the monster is hungry."

During the filming of its landmark season 40, Winners at War, Probst kept saying it felt like the end of one long chapter of the series and that it needed a completely fresh one to follow it. Now, two years later, he promises that's exactly what viewers can expect.

"Even though fans will naturally want to compare Survivor 41 with past seasons, it's really a new era," says the host. "I don't think it's apples to apples. The players have a lot of new elements to contend with in Survivor 41. We had so much fun! It was as if we were creating a brand-new game."

Thank you, Mike!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

me to jeff

'hey, make it not suck'

jeff

'holy poo poo'

I mean it's about time!

Survivor: Capitalism is not escapist TV, it's just life

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LionArcher posted:

I never watches survivor until covid, and now have binged a lot of seasons. I love Boston Rob. I love this show and can't wait for the new season and to watch it with you all.

He's kind of a goober but he's so drat likable

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LionArcher posted:

exactly. I also have only seen the season where he won and the most recent season where he came back. Is it worth it to watch the season where he meets his wife?

I personally think so but I watched it when it aired and not since so I'm tainted with nostalgia

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I always liked how they basically created the fan favorite prize basically just to give Rupert 1 million bucks. It's even more funny because Australian Survivor did the same thing a couple seasons ago for a fan favorite :D

They totally did and only once

There must have been rumblings of major discontent in their focus groups

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

barnold posted:

I'm in for Fantasy Survivor

also, I'm going to be out and will miss the premiere tomorrow night. what's the best way to catch an episode after its aired? do I have to subscribe to some kind of streaming service for that luxury?

:filez:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Narcissus1916 posted:

Do Paramount Plus subscribers get to watch the episode the next day? I have the drat thing and I have no clue.

God I would hope so, but they're hasn't been survivor since P+ started has there?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Next-day?! No, I want the survivor raw from the feed even if I gotta watch the network tv ads

I use a rabbit ears for this

Will be watching live tomorrow in glorious ota HD

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
HERE WE GO

Loving these crew shots

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 23, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brock Samson posted:

Boat anchored lmao

That and both teams deciding they were too dumb to solve a 4th grade puzzle

Off to a smart start

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Prisoner's Dilemma poo poo in survivor is good

edit: hey bro dude knows prisoner's dilemma. I wouldn't have guessed. That's a strength for him

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Dude basically told the truth so badly no one believes him lmao

Efb like exactly hahaha

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SweetJahasus posted:

I thought I was going to like JD but boy, he is too much.

Same

I liked him at first but he needs to dial it back like five notches

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

you put the die in a thing, then draw from a bag with 1/6 chance to be safe but lose vote... why they don't roll that die for the same exact odds?

the flint removal thing is intense!

there was a clue but the website wouldnt let me take a srceen shot. icecream minus something, head plus something?

Alliance ?
A+🦁 🦁

Was wondering the same thing about the die. There might be other things in that bag as the game goes on? Who knows

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tribal set looks rad

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wild tribal

I really don't know and it doesn't feel like bullshit editing, it really feels live

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

so did jd use his double vote to throw a rando vote at ricard or?

I don't know who the hell did that but he put his vote in his pants

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fast Luck posted:

Idol insurance I guess

yeah that makes sense

Great first episode I think. I was worried but this feels good so far

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheCenturion posted:

Zero chance of ambiguity if you roll the die and it falls off of the table or something, would be my guess.

Yeah I bet they started with the die and realized there were lots of potential problems.

It's really just a 1/6 totem/fetish for people to carry around and constantly think about in order to maximize paranoia.

I like it.

Also a season long "twist" and a single event advantage/player separation really aren't the same thing. With the increased pace of the game, I expect we'll see more events like that regularly. Whether it's too much, ehh, we'll see

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Also if they roll the die you know that someone has to be there to verify it and hand them a vote. Even if they don't show it, it sort of breaks the illusion that they're alone in there.

This way it's all "self service" at least in appearance

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Overdrift posted:

I wasn't clear on if you could roll the die every tribal council or if it was a one time thing?

What happens if everyone uses their die and noone is safe/has a vote?

I think you put it in the thing and it's gone. One use only.

If no one has a vote, the mechanism is probably drawing rocks. There's always tiebreakers and things we don't learn about until and unless it matters

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

barnold posted:

just caught up and watched the episode. not unclipping the boat was top tier poo poo. I gotta say, I'm rooting for dollar store Howard Stern the most and I can't really explain why. I just like the cut of his jib

The rancher?

He seems like a gormless doofus to me so far

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

barnold posted:

that's why he's dollar store howard stern to me (that and his looks). I think it was his no bullshit "it's sara or shan" right to their faces lol

I mean it WAS good tv yeah

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I do give him credit for trying to make a point about it but yeah you don't poll 18 people who are basically under duress in order to make that decision

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Some of these social gaffes might also completely evaporate if there's merge/swap fuckery sooner rather than later

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The availability of condoms is not proof of loving, just responsibility. Don't fall victim to regressive evangelical hand wringing poo poo.

I'm sure there's been some loving but probably not a ton. You'd basically have to let them film you for one thing. There's no place you can go with another player that the cameras won't follow

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Shenanigans!

lmao

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao whaaaaat

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
He has to say the same dumb thing every time hahaha

Why not put it back and save it till you really need an advantage! Man I thought he was smarter

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Way too much trusting chitter chatter

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

what was the clue? world play something?

Worth Playing For? I think

poo poo goes by fast

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am a brain surgeon who is the best at everything and do not need a million dollars, unlike you

ok bye then

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Survivor 41: self-owns vs own-goals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MisterZimbu posted:

He has to say it every time, he doesn't get a choice.

Yeah but what happens if he doesn't?

Anyone have a screenshot of the scroll? I didn't notice anything on there about it. It seems odd that there is no explicit penalty for noncompliance