Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Bloop posted:

Having to get weirdos to make it interesting is to me a sign that the format was needing some kind of change

Oh, I don't know. I think the show started to falter when almost everyone they cast were recruited, and a large number of those were models/actors who didn't care about the game at all and were just there for a free vacation.

The show started to get good again when they started casting fans. It's definitely a different show today than it was even 10 years ago, but it's better than it was for 5 years or so there.

BGrifter posted:

Do we know when this was filmed? I worry Jeff is gonna load it up with every sad piano music confessional about COVID he can find. He likes the sappy stuff way more than I do.

I seem to remember it being around March and April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nexous posted:

I can’t even imagine the vitriol from Reddit over Survivor 41: Overly Woke, and it makes the season even more enjoyable

Currently the top thread on /r/survivor is reflecting the above poster's thoughts, that while handled poorly, it's not a big deal, and people are being absurd talking about it the way they are.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
There probably has been island loving, but this is a family show, so even though they will force women to dress gratuitously, they're not about show sex. And there's probably less of it today than there was in the past out of everyone's fear of being labeled as a couple voting together.

But we've all heard the rumors about the kind of stuff that goes down at Ponderosa.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

curiousCat posted:

I think the idol is way better this season because there's actual drawbacks to finding it early? It also can't be played immediately so it's like... it's way less power for way more risk. Single extra votes are less strong theoretically and a better advantage to give out cheaper.

Yeah, I like this twist. It'll help prevent people going on idol runs like Mike and Ben had (assuming they continue to make it difficult and dangerous to have), and it makes it easier for people to take someone out with an idol.

I still don't really understand the protect your vote gamble thing, especially if it's every episode. I don't want that.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Narcissus1916 posted:

I haven't watched this show in years, but is there actual data to suggest that winning alliances actually do start on Day 1? Like for dominant alliances do they form early, or are they cobbled together post-merge?

Alliances haven't been a important as they used to be the last several seasons. Instead we've seen the emergence of voting blocs. It's been hard to keep day 1 alliances since the producers have relied so heavily on multiple tribal swaps pre-merge, and hidden immunity idol scrambles every week.

We'll see how this season pans out, given that it's "a new game."

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Bloop posted:

I don't think we know anything about final anything yet

Just that they filmed it on the island, and that there won't be a live reunion this year.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Berzerker posted:

I watched the first two seasons of Survivor back when they aired but then didn't watch it again. On a whim my partner and I watched season 37 because we saw a couple of celebrities in the cast who we were familiar with, and it was an awesome season of television.

It's unlikely that we will go back and watch 40 seasons of this, and I am scared to look up "best season" articles online because the first one I did spoiled the winner of what it was trying to convince me to watch (season 28), so I thought I would ask here instead. We're going to catch up on the current season, but looking to the past for anyone who has been into the show for a long time, can you tell me the "must watch" seasons without spoiling? I've heard seasons 7 and 20 are good, but 20 seems to be returning cast members and I worry that if I watch it, I'd be potentially spoiling any of the previous 20 seasons and don't want to do that if there are some great ones in the early years. I will add that we're really into the twist elements (idols, nulls, vote steals, whatever) and I don't know how many of those were a part of the show in the early years... if that influences what you think is worth checking out.

The podcast Rob Has a Podcast, hosted by Rob Cesternino a former Survivor player, just did a rankings of the top seasons. The top 10 seasons were (in reverse order): 10) S18 Tocantins; 9) S31 Cambodia (returning players); 8) S6 The Amazon; 7) S40 Winners at War (returning players); 6) S37 David v Goliath; 5) S15 China; 4) S16 Micronesia (returning players); 3) S7 Pearl Islands; 2) S28 Cagayan; 1) S20 Heroes v Villains (returning players)

The Hidden Immunity Idol was the first twist like you're talking about, and it wasn't introduced until season 11.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Khanstant posted:

Shocked at others when people casually say some poo poo you'd rightfully expect people to take issue with today.

There was a LOT of casual homophobia that was played off for laughs in the early seasons. Dr Sean straight up says f*g in the first season. Boston Rob had a moment in season 4 when he's having an argument with John, and in a brief moment of silence he looks pointedly at John and asks something like, "Are you gay?" John confirms that he is, and Rob smirks, rolls his eyes, and walks away.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Berzerker posted:

I've started season 7 based on recommendations here and elsewhere and yeah the vibes are bad. The men suggesting the women (who they just met btw) flash their boobs to the local villagers to try and get free stuff, men hooting whenever a woman's clothes fall off during a challenge, rambling about manliness and laughing at Rupert making a skirt to wear. It is all pretty gross.

Also this season is kind of wild in that so far, one tribe is just basically dying in the dirt while the other tribe wins every challenge, steals the little the losers do have, and chow down. And strangely nobody is even talking strategy at all.

There are a few people who really do show their stupid asses that season, but it's rated a top 10 season for a reason. Some really great characters, two even competing on the show 4 times total.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Guess the hardest part of watching old Survivor is having to be reminded what lovely things were still more or less socially acceptable even 15-20 years ago!

Well, I think one thing we've learned over the last 5 years is that there is a very large number of people in this country who not only think it's still socially acceptable, but even preferable!

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 4, 2021

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
There was that time in Panama where I think it was Aras and his tribe lost a puzzle challenge, and Aras insisted that they were missing a piece. Jeff got pissed and called him a sore loser or something, but Aras insisted they check. Sure enough, there was a piece missing. If I remember correctly, they reran the challenge, and Aras's tribe ended up winning. I think.

That discussion was all off camera though. I think.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
If you have to explain the advantages in detail every episode, and still leave both the players and the viewers confused, it's not a good game mechanic.

Jeff needs to learn how to KISS. Keep it simple, stupid.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Berzerker posted:

I started season 13 (Cook Islands), the separating people out by their ethnicity was really loving jarring. I can't imagine that's going to last too long before they pull a fast one.

Cook Islands is pretty great, although there is one player where I still don't understand why they were asked back not just one time, but twice. The only enjoyment they brought to Cook Islands was schadenfreude.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Bloop posted:

It was in no way confirmed.

Honestly it would be hilarious if the other on was just dead now

and I mean that in a BAD way, I really don't want to see him say that butterfly poo poo again, it's embarrassing to watch

It makes me laugh. It's the only good thing to come out of the absurdity of all these ridiculous twists this season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SweetJahasus posted:

Deshawn really is confessional gold. Dude is so likeable.

Yeah, I feel like there hasn't been much focus on his tribe since they haven't lost yet. I was really entertained by him tonight.

Probably the best episode of the season so far, although it's only been 4 episodes. No dumb island expedition to focus half the episode on a dumb twist nobody understands helped certainly.

Edit: Also, it seems like we're getting a lot of challenges involving tossing a ball and having it stay in place.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 14, 2021

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sb3ptIvn0g

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sighence posted:

Isn't the usual play a merge to two tribes first? Either producers straight up define them like last season or random buff draw.

They've done that a lot, but I'm pretty sure Jeff said there will be no swap this year, just the one tribal merge. He keeps stressing how it's a back to basics season.

Except for, you know, all the absurd twists and advantages that nobody quite understands.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Hi, its me the guy who watched every fifth season or so. I watched way more of the early season but haven't seen much, if any, of the newer stuff. Is Winners At War a solid time?

It's probably better if you've seen every season, so that you know each of the characters' stories, explaining why it was such a huge deal that some people got voted out so early, and a shock that others made it as far as they did.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So, Shan is getting a winner's edit, right?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Brass posted:

I don't understand why the show invites older people like Heather and Tiffany on it, who can barely compete, just to embarrass them. They both seem like stay-at-home WASPs. Extremely out-of-place on a season that seems to be trying to show us how diverse it is.

Women like this have made it to the finals and have actually won the game. One of the most beloved characters of all time, Cirie, was afraid of leaves and famously got off that couch.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fast Luck posted:

Scene 1: Liana crying that she let an opportunity go by when she didn’t blindside Xander with an idol in his pocket
Scene 2: Liana gets an idol steal advantage
Scene 3: . . . hmm

Another observation: Ricard talking at tribal about not “getting credit” for his and Shan’s moves in a tribe that in 5 minutes will just be him and Shan. Who is this for Ricard? Not very smart

I think it was for Genie in case she was still debating who to vote for. Nobody going into tribal had any idea who was actually going home. Nobody knew who would actually stick their word.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Off the top of my head it would be funny to tell a tribe that if they willingly go to tribal council and vote someone out, each remaining player will get $10,000 or some amazing luxury item within the game.

That's a better idea than any twist we've seen in years on the show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mancalamania posted:

Seasons 15-33 had basically no major twists besides idols and swaps and were a solid run of seasons with few completely straightforward Pagongings. It's not a coincidence that the only seasons in that run with a major twist (Redemption Island and One World) were the only awful seasons.

There were definitely more awful seasons in that run than just Redemption Island and One World. Nicaragua, South Pacific (Brand Hantz), Caramoan (Brandon Hantz), Blood vs Water (featuring the inexplicable THIRD outing for Candice, and a bunch of loved ones with zero personality), San Juan Del Sur, and Worlds Apart (some of the most toxic people to ever be on the show). I actually stopped watching the show for several seasons after Worlds Apart. This was an era where they would try and build the seasons around wacky or crazy characters, instead of focusing on tribal dynamics or strategy. It really felt like that run was a dark era of the show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Studio posted:

TAR isn't coming back until next year and this is survivor related
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheAmazingRace/comments/qi1dx5/your_name_is_jeff_right/

I had to stop watching the show about a decade ago. Always loved it, but they always aired it after Sunday football, and since football always ran late, my DVR would only ever catch the first 20 minutes of the episode. I just gave up after a while.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Brass posted:

I went back and re-watched the hourglass scene because it's such a wild scene, such a weird twist and way they went about the production of it. It seems extremely memeable. I kinda want to clip and cut it to make it seem like Jeff just pulls out a hammer while she's crying and then they just stare at each other, then Jeff says "what you do with this is your decision... " "omg, how much time do I have?" *Jeff pulls out an hourglass and sets it horizontally*

/r/survivor is going crazy with the memes right now. It started with photoshops of Erika in earlier seasons of Survivor, and now it's moved on to various events throughout history. She's responded with a TikTok talking about how exhausting time travel is.

It really is maybe the dumbest twist the show has ever introduced, but at least it brought us memes.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Bloop posted:

If you are going to lower yourself to read reddit you could at least bring back and post memes

Because Something Awful makes it a pain in the rear end to post images, here are some links.

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/qjahjx/erika_went_too_far_back_and_time_now_billy_and/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/qir4au/i_know_jeff_said_the_time_travel_advantage_would/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/qj33qo/erika_playing_match_maker_with_her_hourglass_time/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/qkkoi0/erica_is_taking_this_advantage_too_far/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/qkovd0/now_we_know_who_put_abis_bracelet_in_peihgees_bag/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/qiyi85/what_have_you_done_erika/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/qj6ebk/whats_erika_doing_shes_messing_up_other_shows_now/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/qii440/jeff_advantages_the_hell_out_of_the_space_time/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/qji7ot/this_is_getting_ridiculous_erika_and_frankly_im/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/qjytws/cirie_feilds_crowned_sole_survivor_in_most_loved/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/qjemuh/oh_dear_god_erika_what_have_you_done/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/qjzkph/angelina_finally_got_natalies_jacket/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/qjvdlf/erika_five_minutes_after_jeff_leaves_the_island/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/qk57rd/remember_when_janet_won_ioti_thanks_erika/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/qii6og/i_noticed_something_weird_in_the_borneo_cast_photo/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/qk38e2/eliza_actually_had_a_slightly_different_revelation/

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/qj70jc/erikas_adventures_continues/

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

IcePhoenix posted:

Huh?

just right click -> copy image address then paste it into the reply box and it'll autoformat the img tags around the link. Here's a few from your post (timg'd because I don't want to fill up the page)

I had no idea. I always struggled with finding the right format at hosting sites like imgur. Thanks for this info.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I seem to recall that Something Awful used to come down on hard back in the day for doing just this, not using your own hosting to share images, and if they were from a private site, then you would get put on probation. I think that's why I always tried to use sites like Imgur. I think there was even a term for what that's called, but it hasn't been an issue in so long it completely escapes me.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 2, 2021

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

barnold posted:

I'm sorry but I am laughing at/with the 2004 regdate who had no idea that image leeching was no longer a rule. This is a rare moment and one to savor.

Remember when Sandy Smith wrote for the front page?

I never really ever read the front page actually.

pokeyman posted:

Bandwidth leeching? Was that the term? And yeah it used to be probate-able, so I'm not surprised a longtime user would instinctively avoid it.

Yeah, I think leeching is it. Thanks!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

RatHat posted:

Apparently Australian Survivor DID hide an Idol at tribal council once? How did that work? And how was every tribal council afterwards not just chaos from everyone tearing up the set looking for idols?

I think Adam said he got the idea to try this because they did it on South African Survivor.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I was away on vacation for the last week, meaning I couldn't watch the latest two episodes until just now. What I have to say doesn't really have anything to do with the show, but rather the Paramount Plus app. Because Sling doesn't have my local CBS, I have to subscribe to this extra service just to watch Survivor, and man, the app is a hot piece of poo poo. For both episodes today when I would start them, it had a 15 second countdown for the next episode of Big Brother to start. I don't watch Big Brother, I never have, I have no idea why it is trying to force me to watch that, especially only 5 seconds into the very start of these episodes of Survivor. I had to keep backing out and messing around to get the episodes to play without it automatically trying to reroute me to Big Brother.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Khanstant posted:

I feel your pain. With Star Trek Prodigy, Lower Decks, Picard... after every episode it plays the same Discovery Season 1, which is the cringiest 1 minute of any show intro ever, just creepy klingon anti-ASMR. Their app is ridiculous and theyre trying to force p[eople onto it to watch any Trek... but they can't even keep track of your progress in an episode or if you've watched it before or not.

I turned off autoplay after I posted, and maybe that'll fix things.

oopsie rock posted:

I watch next day on the CBS app for free. Looks like episodes stay free for about a month before going behind a paywall. There are ads, but nothing like the shenanigans you describe.

Really? I might just cancel my Paramount Plus. Although Star Trek Discovery I think is about to start a new season. Next week. drat it. They really know how to space their shows out long enough to keep you from wanting to cancel.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Bloop posted:

Very glad I get every broadcast network clear as a bell with a $30 antenna

I get it on my digital antenna, but I usually have social obligations on Wednesdays so I can't watch it live.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Spook posted:

I am confused as to why they didn't vote out Xander. If you are going to try and flush out an idol by splitting votes, and you have a super majority, you put the most votes on the person with the idol! That way if it doesn't get played, the idol is gone. Or did they suspect that Tiffany still had it?

While some players are playing aggressively, most are playing pretty passively, and none are playing very intelligently.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I just want to say to the person over at the Survivor subreddit who made a post titled, "I feel bad for Evvie and Naseer for going home tonight," you suck. They're normally pretty good about spoilers over there, so I thought I was safe scrolling through reddit without temporarily unsubscribing from the subreddit, and I scrolled past that. The mods did remove it eventually, but still! I can't watch it usually until lunch the next day.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Smart move to do Shan, they all knew she was a major threat to win if she made it to the final 4. At the same time, the move blows up EVERYONE'S game, the only alliance still standing in the game are Danny and Deshawn. And this just ensured that Heather, Erika, and Xander make it much further into the game than before. Xander is playing it smart and just keeping his head down for now, and Erika and Heather are not just offering themselves up as numbers, but calling shots that are changing the game.

Hard to tell who goes next. The preview makes it seem like Ricard is the target, but because of that it probably means he's safe. I'd say Liana is in a rough spot because she was the only person not to vote with the group.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sighence posted:

Ricard and Xander have known FTC votes going their way where nobody else really does. They also have competitive resumes. DeShawn basically has an anti-vote. Danny and Erika haven't made real moves they can take credit for. Liana is a joke. And apparently there's a seventh person still in the game?

As it is, the winner is whoever lasts longer from between Ricard and Xander. Tough call if they both get to FTC.

Erika is the one who suggested they split the vote between Shan and Liana.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

njsykora posted:

I'm expecting Ricard to get targeted because Shan straight up said out loud she was voting for him at final.

I was worried about that too, but people already knew they were besties. It wasn't exactly new information.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I ended up giving on Amazing Race about a decade ago. Not because of anything the show did, but rather because it aired at like 7PM on Sunday evenings during football season. Football always ran late, meaning my DVR would record like the final 45 minutes of the game and any post-game analysis, and then the first 15 minutes of the episode. They didn't make it easy to see the show otherwise at the time, so I just gave up.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sighence posted:

TAR has more rubber banding than any racing game ever made. I get why, because their first few seasons had none, but now it feels like your game hinges on the whim of a taxi driver.

I remember the first season where by the end of the season, one or two teams were like several days behind the rest, and were still doing challenges that the winning team had completed like 2 episodes prior.

What was the season where there were the identical twins who looked like Tom Cruise, and the girl who cried every episode and competed with her best male friend from college?

Oh, and I remember the season where an elderly couple brought like paper underwear with them for some reason?

Another with like a gay Asian man and his sister?

And of course the most dynamic duo, Mike White and his father and they were both bisexual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Mirotic posted:

Tammy and Victor, maybe? I think they're the only Asian brother sister team, season 14, but not sure he's gay.

I watched the show much longer than I realized! That's definitely who I was thinking of.