Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

btw I retract all my theorizing on Xander being brought into a new alliance with Evvie/Liana because vocce said in his exits that Evvie didn't get back to camp until a few minutes before Tribal Council. so if true, the vote was stupidly on Voce instead of Xander in large part because there was no time to talk Tiffany out of it or set up anything else.

This makes a lot more sense on why Evvie didn't drop Tiffany then yeah. I can't imagine ever playing with someone that paranoid so early in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vernacular posted:

Count me in also as somebody who doesn't get why Brad got the boot before Genie. Maybe just because Richard and Shan were concerned about his relationship with JD?

I'm going to assume it was because they were concerned about all his advantages since that's what they said on the show.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

But he was voting Genie!

I think the idea is he wanted Genie to believe he was voting Shan

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nihonniboku posted:

Because Something Awful makes it a pain in the rear end to post images, here are some links.

Huh?

just right click -> copy image address then paste it into the reply box and it'll autoformat the img tags around the link. Here's a few from your post (timg'd because I don't want to fill up the page)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nihonniboku posted:

Edit: Now that I think about it, I seem to recall that Something Awful used to come down on hard back in the day for doing just this, not using your own hosting to share images, and if they were from a private site, then you would get put on probation. I think that's why I always tried to use sites like Imgur. I think there was even a term for what that's called, but it hasn't been an issue in so long it completely escapes me.

Given your regdate I can understand that. It definitely used to be a rule back when bandwidth costs were an actual thing for people to worry about but it's been gone for a long time now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah, I feel like that was a lot of really bad play by Liana. She was extremely obviously flipped over to Shan, and then extremely obviously fishing about where the idol would be at TC. Her alliance should’ve been fully prepared for that advantage (which both Liana and Shan are responsible for revealing) to misfire with a backup play ready to go in advance. And that’s if they were going to insist on playing it in that direction at all. They should have used it on Naseer but I guess Danny and Deshaun liked him too much for that… but they’re already part of the big tribe going into this, and did anyone notice who he was huddling up with at first? Haha

This episode was very fun. And that was all possible because other players learned about Liana’s thing, otherwise it would’ve sucked. Instead it became like idol roulette x2 with a very successful bluff. Sydney was amusing but she only ever had exactly the one speed of “oh well whatever, I’m great.” Like that was fun but it seemed to be literally all she ever said.

Liana thought she was still in with them and that they trusted her. All the showmanship was them exploiting that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I really want Sydney back on a future season she was hilarious

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Apologies if I missed this while skimming the thread to catch up after I watched the episode but did nobody else notice that Deshawn wasted his double vote?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There's a bunch of memes on reddit about how absolutely invisible she's been too.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vernacular posted:

I don't really understand Sydney being the target. She would have voted with them for sure had they put in the recruiting effort.

Xander and Tiff were both immune, Deshawn and Danny were together in the PoC alliance, and they knew Naseer also had an idol. There was literally no other option for them.

They should have done the split the other way IMO to force the idol to be played on Evie for her to stay in the game, but maybe they were afraid of double votes.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 5, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sighence posted:

Hard to say. She did the best of anyone positioning herself for the merge but backstabs now have to be much more subtle after their completion. Between that and having four people who I doubt would go her way (Ricard, Xander, Evvie, Tiffany) she needs her ideal F4 all in the jury to secure a win.

I don't think I agree that she did the best of anyone positioning for the merge if you feel like she needs her closest allies all on the jury to win. Honestly I feel like they're setting her up for a big fall.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

There was a super clean other option which was taking Naseer's idol and voting Naseer. Xander/Tiff/Evvie, as a strong threesome, had the ability to pass Xander's idol around and force Liana to take a guess with her power (and everyone knew that they knew about her advantage), but Naseer on the other hand was a sitting duck.

I think they probably still see Naseer as loyal to them, and heck he still might be. He had that one interaction with Xander and nothing else iirc, and he was in their huddle to vote with them. Cracking that trust does more than take out a sitting duck, it makes everyone in the alliance wonder "if we can turn on Naseer so easily what's stopping them from blindsiding me next?" And then next thing you know the entire Jury is just the Luvu tribe.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

curiousCat posted:

Sydney was also from that tribe lol

They also weren't working with her. I didn't say it was tribe based it was alliance based. Naseer was in their alliance, Sydney wasn't.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I clearly do not remember that at all lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Adus posted:

i'm not super confident in shan's jury management or her theoretical FTC speech. i think she has a good shot but i could also see her potentially getting overdefensive. i like her overall. ...can't stand her little song though. but whatever it's harmless.

good episode, though, and a good play by xander. finally getting a bit more invested. i lagged behind the first half of the season because i wasn't really into it. might be a good post merge though.

danny's criticism is fully valid though and i think messing with already won immunity or introducing idol nullifiers is garbage. if you ask me there should be two things that cannot be affected without the player's direct choice: vote and immunity. risk your own vote? fine. give away your necklace or idol? fine. but no steal-a-vote, no idol nullifier, no reversing immunity in any way. you're completely robbing players of their agency, and things like your vote or immunity might be the only agency you have if you're on the bottom.

I'd be shocked if there isn't an idol nullifier on this season

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I can actually understand Shan's reaction to the papaya thing even though I think it's kinda silly, partially because I can 100% see myself having the same kind of reaction in the situation they were in.

I wonder if the way she's playing is going to make Shan lose respect as a pastor, I certainly did not peg her as this kind of player in episode one.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Raxivace posted:

That whole papaya thing seemed bad on Ricard to me. Like he must have known how bad that looked, even if Shan hadn’t said anything.

And from a purely game management sense he should have realized that an apology and moving on was the best option. Especially after how he chastised Shan for the way she asked for the extra vote back.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khanstant posted:

I don't think she's the first person with a church job on the show and I vaguely recall other pastor types in the past being manipulative and tricky/shady before too and idk if that's impacted their careers or not, but it seems pretty trivial these days for folks to compartmentalize their survivor behaviour and their regular-life.

Sure she can compartmentalize it but perception is reality so what if her congregation (or whatever it's called) can't is what I'm wondering I guess. Just one of those musings that I doubt we'll ever get an actual answer to unless she tells us herself.

As far as Tiff goes I don't think she was a really big loss nor do I think she was really that good a player (her "I protected Evie" line actually got a good laugh out of me). She made for decent TV but everyone else left (except Heather I guess) is more interesting to me.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 11, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nihonniboku posted:

I turned off autoplay after I posted, and maybe that'll fix things.

Really? I might just cancel my Paramount Plus. Although Star Trek Discovery I think is about to start a new season. Next week. drat it. They really know how to space their shows out long enough to keep you from wanting to cancel.

I don't use the CBS app but on my desktop pc I just watch from the CBS website and it's the same thing. I think last night it was up three hours after the show ended, I don't know if that's normal or not. It even cuts out all the ads but maybe that's just firefox adblocking them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

barnold posted:

why does everybody keep saying the episodes are free on the CBS app when it demands you to log in with a cable provider to watch literally anything other than the latest episode of James Corden or Stephen Colbert :confused:

I've been sailing the high seas with zero stormy weather so it's really not an inconvenience but I wouldn't categorize "requiring a cable provider login" as free.

e: apparently I can watch some Price Is Right too. I'll take it

it doesn't make me log in but I don't use the app I use the website

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They will break apart when they all realize they want to sit next to Heather at the end instead of each other.

Liana is looking like a 0 or 1 vote finalist to me as well but I don't think both of them can get dragged to the finals

Morning after thoughts:

Feels like Xander and Evie should have known that the Deshawn and Danny would be spooked into voting Evie once they saw Naseer on the jury. I don't blame Xander for not playing his Idol on her but if he had saved Evie then he would have had a 4/4 split back at camp with an extra vote in his pocket.

Speaking of extra votes, I still have no idea what the point of Shan using hers to split her votes between Naseer and Heather was. If Ricard got her to do it just to get rid of it for his own future plans then great job by him.

Shan is farther up her own rear than Sydney is.

Also with 8 left I think I'll bring back the tier list of win probability if they make the end

Xander

Ricard
Deshawn
Erika

Shan
Danny

Heather
Liana

Basically if you pick three people then whoever is in the highest tier would win and if the highest people are in the same tier then it's a toss up.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khanstant posted:

You think Xander gonna make it to the end? I feel like that dude is gone the second he doesn't have immunity necklace and idol. Immunity-ing your way to the end isn't unheard of but I feel like Xander quickly running out of allies.

tier list only accounts for if they get to the end not if I think it's likely

if Xander makes it to the end I do not currently think anyone else has a chance to win

barnold posted:

huh, that's weird! when I go in, it shows all the other free episodes, but the Survivor episode has one of the little lock icons on it and won't let me watch without logging in. I am using the app on my Roku smart TV though and not the smartphone app, I wonder if that's why

make sure it's not trying to default to like the start of the season or something, I think episodes older than a month get locked

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Brass posted:

So why does everyone hate Shan again? Seems like people are mad at Shan for her tribe's failures to do anything.

Imo she plays like a Russel-type

I don't hate her but you found the reason I think she'll have a hard time winning. Garbage social game. I'm also surprised you think Evie wouldn't vote for Xander under any circumstances.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Russell was fun in his first season because he was playing from behind basically the entirety of post-merge. If he was in the majority alliance the whole time then I think public opinion would have been incredibly different.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ricard also is clearly getting sick of her poo poo

hell he felt like that pre-merge

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Russell knew he was being an rear end in a top hat to everyone and he didn't give a gently caress.

this is a good point, Russell had much more self awareness

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

curiousCat posted:

why would the extra vote work on the revote too? the revote would just be 2-1, wouldn't it?

If you think back, if the extra vote didn't stay then Jeff would have eliminated Naseer after reading the second vote on the revote

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vernacular posted:

They're going to have to eliminate Liana ASAP though because she's essentially just one of Shan's appendages at this point. Still can't get over how much of a boon to her game she's been. Just lol at asking Xander for the idol.

I think Liana was only Xander and Evie's target this week because they knew they wouldn't be able to get people to flip on Deshawn or Danny. I'm still convinced she's a person who people will want to take to the end

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vernacular posted:

I'm surprised the consensus here is that he made a bad move.

Extremely same

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

I think Xander probably messed up mostly because its contradictory to him giving his idol to someone last time. Presumably he did that then because he recognized a need to shake things up and strike early before the numbers set in and he has to idol his way to the end.

I think he gave his idol to Tiff because he didn't want to lose it to Liana and had no intention of playing it. Giving it to Evie in that situation means if she's spooked enough (she was) she'll just burn it.

e: what I'm saying is that it wasn't a contradictory move this week

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

Someone on RHAP said that in the Naseer TC, when Heather said "oh I'm so dead here, I need an idol to fall from the sky, that's my only chance" but then didn't play her shot in the dark it could've been a tell for Naseer. I don't know but it's pretty interesting to think about the shot in the dark from the perspective of what someone NOT playing it means.

I felt the same here, when I was watching the episode. As soon as I saw Heather didn't play her shot I was internally screaming at Naseer to play his idol.

quote =/= edit

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

PopZeus posted:

Do you have to play it publicly? I assumed you could decide in the booth.

you have to reveal the result publicly like Sydney did

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

where do y'all go to watch the ponderosa videos? I can't find Evie and Naseer's in HD anywhere on youtube (which is where I usually watched) and the channel I did find with Tiffany's (which seems to maybe be the official channel?) in HD hasn't uploaded the Naseer/Evie one yet

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vernacular posted:

Is Danny's NFL background out in the open now? He said he wanted to hide it earlier, but that exchange between him and Jeff at TC about having played on big stages or w/e seemed to suggest otherwise? Unless that was meant in the context of college football.

He just seems like a nondescript middle-of-the-pack type player at the moment, maybe leaning a bit toward the goat side of things. His social game is alright: doesn't appear to be rubbing anybody the wrong way, but at the same time could probably stand to be a bit more open to relationships outside his core alliance. That inflexibility usually costs people. And if he really did spill the beans about the NFL stuff, the assumed financial background thing is probably a few dings against him at FTC.

I can't think of anything that would indicate that it's been revealed yet. I thiiink in an early episode someone thought they recognized him and he deflected it as "I get confused for them all the time" or something like that? It was dropped after that so maybe it worked because I certainly don't remember anyone mentioning it after that. Agree on your read of his game so far though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Professor Shark posted:

The lying about your job thing that everyone does now on BB/ Survivor is kind of annoying. I guess it worked for the latest BB winner, but it seems silly in most cases. I guess players just like to feel that they have a secret?

I don't watch BB so I don't know if it's the same dynamic but people who lie about their job on Survivor always do it because they have/had a job/career that people generally associate with being rich as gently caress and so they don't want people to have an implicit bias against them because "they don't need the money"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

curiousCat posted:

Really interesting editing there -- fall of a hero type poo poo.

yeah with the music and stuff at the end I was absolutely coming here to post about Shan getting the Fall of a Hero goodbye lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

But I think its always a mistake when players start making "I don't want to sit next to you" moves like that this early. There's a lot of game left.

Not sure this counts as too early anymore. There's only three votes left (and fire), so taking out Erika, while it does take out a power player, leaves two idols in the game for those votes without enough numbers to safely split. And when you can't safely split, the best time to target an idol is when you have immunity and can't end up going out with only one or two votes on you because they sussed it out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The other thing to factor in was that even though he and Shan were each other's #1, Shan was in a 4 person alliance that he wasn't a part of, so throwing the game into chaos by taking out the head benefits him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've been waffling back and forth between rankings for an IcePhoenix Power Rankings post for since like Friday because I think the top is really close right now (which is really fun!) and I'm not 100% sure how to place the bottom so I'm just gonna go with this with the expectation that it will be incredibly wrong.

Ricard
Erika
Xander

Deshawn

Danny
Liana

Heather

First tier is a combination of Xander moving down and Ricard and Erika moving up in my behind the tiers "numbers" (there's no actual formula it's just gut feel with a gap size). Ricard's move obviously paints him as a big threat but Erika was the one who put together the 3-3 split which was just as important. I think Xander is playing a little better than most people give him credit for because he hasn't been in a power position but being able to hold his idol and extra vote for so long while being an obvious immunity threat speaks to his ability to read the room really well, imo. This top tier is also ranked in the order I feel like they'd finish if more than one of them ended up in the finals at the moment, but it's close enough that I wouldn't be surprised at all if it moves around.

DeShawn is in a weird middle spot in that I don't think he has any shot in hell of beating the top three but he's at least trying to play the game harder than the bottom three so I just put him here. But honestly I kind of wonder if he's pissed enough people off with how swingy he seems to be that he wouldn't lose to Danny or Liana. Still I think this is where I want him.

Danny and Liana are tough for me to place because they probably should be down with Heather but I think the fact that they were in a solid alliance for a longer time than Heather was means they'll get more social votes (because they were in a close group) and strategic votes (because they were able to dictate how things went, even if it was mostly following Shan). Even though I think her gameplay is laughably bad I feel like if Liana is in the finals she's going to somehow end up with like 2 or 3 votes just based on social connections.

I feel bad for Heather she's been invisible almost the entire game but at least with fewer people she's getting more screentime now, and the edit this week showed her at least helping Erika move her plan.

Thank you for reading my Monday Morning Work Procrastination Post

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sighence posted:

Erika [hasn't] made real moves [she] can take credit for.

are we watching the same show?

She brought up the naseer blindside to ricard and shan and also came up with the 3-3 split in case shan used an idol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Narcissus1916 posted:

Xander is scarily close to waltzing his way to victory. To be fair though, I find holding onto an idol and leveraging that across half the game to be way more impressive than "find an idol, use the idol. Find another idol in a tree, play idol. Find another idol in a bush, play idol" players.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I do wonder how he's going to end up leveraging his extra vote at this point though. Feels like if he's immune or using the idol then it doesn't really matter who's going home to make it worth using, and if he's vulnerable and people are actually voting for him then it shouldn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khanstant posted:

I'm not sure I totally get outing Liana, might've spaced out there.

Xander and Erika are using the Tony method of keeping a shield in front of them. As long as Ricard is in the game he's the biggest target, and because Deshawn and Danny were both immune Liana was the only target left. Xander even went so far as to use his extra vote just to make sure it was still Liana even if Erika flipped.