Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I was reading Book of Wonder anyway, so I switched over to reading A Dreamer’s Tales. I can see why Lovecraft was a fan, because they share the same love of long-lost civilizations and ruin. They also have the same evocative descriptive style.

But I can see why Lord Dunsany fell out of favor, because his stories don’t really follow a normal narrative structure. They’ll be something like “this is what always happens, and it happened again” or “this is something that happened, and I don’t know why.” Since the stories are only like 4 pages or something (I read on a Kindle so I have no real idea), he’s not telling another story within the framework; that’s all there is. So while they’re enjoyable as short mood pieces, the stories themselves don’t really stick with me when they’re over.

My favorite story so far has been the talking cork etc. He does have a fondness for anthopomorphizing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Idle Days on the Yann was more like a fantasy travelogue than a story, so inspired me to start reading the Travels of Sir John Mandeville, which has been in my pile of things to read for a while but I was never quite in the mood for.