Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Binary Badger posted:

it will also alert you when your heart is about to give out from the strain of blocked arteries and morbid obesity

rotate watch crown to step into the light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

e: doublepost

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

ultravoices posted:

i like my apple watch it nags me to move my body

mine tells me to breathe

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I’ve got OmniFocus on my Apple Watch and love it, great way to keep on top of things that need doin’.

With my first Apple Watch years ago I was taking a huge dump at work and it pinged that I met my exercise goal of the day and I’ve been a fan ever since

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the only fruit thing i like more than my watch is my 2015 rmbp for obvious reasons.

watch has gotten me off my rear end, tells me when the air is bad, and lets me 2fa when my phone is jammed between some couch cushions. oh and it helps me find my phone. a+ gadget

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

it also lets me walkie talkie my wife when she is in really important meetings and she forgets to put the dnd on or whatever

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Fortaleza posted:

With my first Apple Watch years ago I was taking a huge dump at work and it pinged that I met my exercise goal of the day and I’ve been a fan ever since

getting a congrats on standing for the hour when i go to take a piss is my personal 'thanks lol' fav

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

i can whisper sweet nothings into it like 'set timer for 11 minutes' so i can come back to cooked pasta

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imagine relying on a calculator watch to count to eleven

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

this morning i told siri to reply with a thumbs up emoji in a text

it sent "a thumbs up emoji"

siri works well, friends

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Jonny 290 posted:

watch has gotten me off

where can I find this feature

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Silver Alicorn posted:

where can I find this feature

strap it on, activate haptics

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

this morning i told siri to reply with a thumbs up emoji in a text

it sent "a thumbs up emoji"

siri works well, friends

tbh that’s funnier and wittier than sending the emoji in question

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
at tanagra, when the watch misspelled

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

the only fruit thing i like more than my watch is my 2015 rmbp for obvious reasons.

watch has gotten me off my rear end, tells me when the air is bad, and lets me 2fa when my phone is jammed between some couch cushions. oh and it helps me find my phone. a+ gadget

Oh yeah, the 2fa thing is nice too. I have 1password set up for 90% of TOTP stuff but we use okta's own incompatible poo poo for some things and having the 6-number code on my wrist is nice.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Apple watch is dumb until the battery life is even modestly competitive

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Battery lasts all day, and you can charge it while you sleep.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloody posted:

they’re the only generally functional smart watch, there’s no need competitive pressure to improve over something you need to charge for longer than your daily shower

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I wear it while i sleep to track that (i have apnea), so i charge it in the morning wakeup routine, throw it on at lunch, good to go. It's fine.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah the apple watch as an alarm rules for sleeping with somebody and not disturbing them

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

with what, a casio five-function

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

I wear it while i sleep to track that (i have apnea), so i charge it in the morning wakeup routine, throw it on at lunch, good to go. It's fine.

do you use the sleep app or is there something else better?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i use the stock sleep app. gives me the wind down reminders, have different sleep/wake set for weekends, etc. also is synced with the phone app perfectly. i try to avoid non stock apps on the watch b/c the built ins are integrated so nicely to the rest of the apple stuff, including the upcoming iphone xiv

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

garmin's watches claim up to several days of battery life (just looking at three, I saw 6-10 depending on model), but they're doing far less than an apple watch

but yeah, they last a day and need like 20 minutes to charge who cares

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Endless Mike posted:

garmin's watches claim up to several days of battery life (just looking at three, I saw 6-10 depending on model), but they're doing far less than an apple watch

right, i'm listening to music 90 mins a day on mine, 2fa authing, talking on the phone with it, etc etc

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
what are you using for 2fa on the watch

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we use duo at work. and i use lastpass' mfa app for some personal tings

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

i charge my garmin every couple of weeks yeah, but it doesn’t get any active use outside tracking a few workouts per week

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Hed posted:

do you use the sleep app or is there something else better?

I've been playing with AutoSleep. it borders on giving you too much info but it seems generally useful.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i was on the fence on retiring my excess but if they're finally doing away with the loving camera bump i will be first in line

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i was on the fence on retiring my excess but if they're finally doing away with the loving camera bump i will be first in line

probably true but if so remember that’s for next year not this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i have an xs and there is 0 reason to upgrade aside from them fixing the form factor. but knowing apple even if they did fix the bump and the notch they'd introduce something new and stupid out of spite.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mediaphage posted:

probably true but if so remember that’s for next year not this

oh

i'm probably gonna wait then

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Fortaleza posted:

Battery lasts all day, and you can charge it while you sleep.

frankly i wear it then as an alarm clock and charge when I shower and when i sit at my desk occasionally. that's a 3 so that's with regular use since they started selling them. they're perfectly serviceable for all-day use

the pebble set a high bar for battery life with passable functionality. i think the trade-off of cutting that down to 1~2 days with light charging and a similar size is a reasonable balance considering all the additional functionality an apple watch has

Ansible Adams posted:

I've been playing with AutoSleep. it borders on giving you too much info but it seems generally useful.

i like it's sleep debt and quality estimation, though health will give sleep averages and goal progress now with some positive reenforcement

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

champagne posting posted:

the watch will have thunderbolt, the new 16" mpb wont

new watch has SD card slot and headphone jack

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

oh

i'm probably gonna wait then

yeah the xiv has the rumours of new design but the xiii is whats being announced next week

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

we use duo at work. and i use lastpass' mfa app for some personal tings

duo + watch is nice since the phone app doesnt always pop notifs for some reason for me

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

duo + watch is nice since the phone app doesnt always pop notifs for some reason for me

yeah this is a known issue a lot of duo shops encounter

we fuckin sell it once in a while and we’re switching to azure mfa instead lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

your duo phone app pops notifs sometimes ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

just think what kind of battery an apple watch would have without a big dumb screen