Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Hosting mine on onlyfans

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Edge of Everything
853 words

It’s late morning, and from the right angle the lake shines like a vast field of diamonds made the more beautiful in that they slip out of my grasp every time. I’m in the water with my father, me nearly submerged while it's barely past his waist. I am the Rainbow Fish, until he lifts me one-handed with such incredible strength that I am propelled twenty or thirty feet into the air. I am Flipper now, rocketing back toward the water with a mighty screech. He is Tired, though, and as my mother reclines under her umbrella fully protected from any risk of a tan it is clear to him that I am not to be left unsupervised. With tremendous skill and agility, he snatches me from my supersonic dive, saying only “that’s it, Bug,” as he absconds toward the shore. I know better than to struggle, but as he carries me toward the sand I begin to formulate my escape plan.

The cottage is my home base, which is of course troublesome in that I share it with the Bad Guys. If I had my teammates with me, we might be able to even the odds a bit, but George has swimming lessons and Nate’s still in trouble for what he said to Ms. Williams the other day. I’m going to have to lean on my spy skills.

We’re out of the water now, but I’m still trapped in my father’s iron grip as we make our way toward my mother. She looks up and laughs at my misfortune. “Look at you two! It’s like when you used to carry Hercules when he got tired on his walks.”

(They claim that Hercules was my father’s dog, but I have no memory of this.)

He looks down at me and smiles. “Yeah, but at least he behaved most of the time.” Finally, he sets me down, and my moment is here.

“Can I go back to the house? I need to use the bathroom.”

My father sighs as his gaze ambles to the chair next to the cooler. “Yeah, sure, that shouldn’t-”

Lucas.” Uh-oh, she’s overruled him. She pulls her sunglasses down and scans me for a moment through half-squinted eyes before turning and looking back toward the house. I can almost hear her android brain running through every possible scenario, and for a moment I think all is lost. Then she looks back to me.

“Yes, go ahead. But be careful on the stairs, OK?” I’ve done it! I offer some basic reply in the positive and head off toward the house. I make sure to keep a reasonable pace for a few seconds, but once I’m sure that the noise of the waves will mask my footsteps I break into a sprint. I don’t have anywhere to go except the cottage, but there’s no reason I can’t have fun on the way there.

A few miles between the ocean and home base stands the cliff, which juts thousands of miles into the sky. At its highest points you can float off into space if you don’t mind yourself, but any time I’m going to be up there I make sure to wear my extra-gravity shoes. Of course, that’s where the path to the cottage is, so I make sure I’m fully equipped before I take the teleporter to the top.

No sooner have I arrived at the cliff’s greatest height than I see impending doom. Hundreds, no, thousands of aliens line the cliff’s edge, hissing and gesturing wildly in the direction of the beach. I’d fought these monsters before, but never in such numbers, and given that I’m the only human that can see or hear them I have no hope of calling for backup. There’s no choice. I have to save the world again.

Days turn into weeks, and weeks into months, and still we fight. Time is relative like that when you reach the speeds we’re capable of. In the end, though, they never have a chance. I’m up in the air preparing to crash down like an asteroid and blow them all away when the Alien King raises a white flag, and the battle is done. He grumbles in his mysterious language as they load into their invisible mothership and blast off toward their home planet. Still hovering in the air, I realize my mistake. Extra-gravity shoes aren’t meant for use in battle. I’m floating off into space.

The vacuum of space may intimidate lesser men, but assuming you’ve got a good enough space suit you can theoretically live forever. I take no pleasure in the prospect, but I suppose there’s some chance that I could be found drifting hundreds of years from now. If nothing else, at least I get a chance to live among the stars while I wait. They’re quite beautiful even in a hopeless situation like this, an endless sea of diamonds against-

“Alexander!” Uh oh. “What do you think you’re doing, young man? Get away from the edge of the wall, now.” Well, at least it didn’t take hundreds of years.

I really like my room at the cottage, actually.