Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
After a bizarre 2020 season with the COVID pandemic looming over everything, the NFL gets to start fresh in 2021 with *checks notes* the COVID pandemic still looming over everything, only this time with full crowds and multiple players/coaches still not vaccinated. Not great Bob!

Anyway, some people thought that last year’s coaching carousel would be quieter than usual In These Uncertain Times, but things more or less carried out as normal, with seven new jobs opening up. So it’s time to take another stab at my annual Hot Seat Rankings, the hottest thread in TFF every year.

If you’ve been following this thread long enough, you know the deal by now. I’m always more conservative with my Week 1 rankings since we don’t really know what to expect or how things will play out early on. By the time we get to October we’ll have a much better idea of who’s in trouble, and that’s when the fun really starts. For now, let’s settle in and have fun with the speculation.

BACK FOR 2022

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
Robert Saleh, New York Jets
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Frank Reich, Indianapolis Colts
Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers
Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
Nick Sirianni, Philadelphia Eagles
Ron Rivera, Washington Football Team
Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
Dan Campbell, Detroit Lions
Bruce Arians, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints
Arthur Smith, Atlanta Falcons
Matt Rhule, Carolina Panthers
Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers
Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona Cardinals

Jon Gruden, Las Vegas Raiders (interim coach: Rich Bissacia)
Urban Meyer, Jacksonville Jaguars (interim coach: Darrell Bevell)
Vic Fangio, Denver Broncos
Mike Zimmer, Minnesota Vikings
Matt Nagy, Chicago Bears
Brian Flores, Miami Dolphins
Joe Judge, New York Giants
David Culley, Houston Texans
Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints (retired)
Bruce Arians, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (retired)

NEW COACHES

Denver Broncos: Nathaniel Hackett (Packers OC)
Chicago Bears: Matt Eberflus (Colts DC)
New York Giants: Brian Daboll (Bills OC)
Las Vegas Raiders: Josh McDaniels (Patriots OC)
Minnesota Vikings: Kevin O'Connoll (Rams OC)
Jacksonville Jaguars: Doug Pederson
Miami Dolphins: Mike McDaniel (49ers OC)
New Orleans Saints: Dennis Allen (Saints DC)
Houston Texans: Lovie Smith (Texans DC)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Todd Bowles (Bucs OC)

Benne fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

zac taylor will make a fine offensive assistant some day. perhaps a day in 2017. his brother is also a coach and is named press taylor. do you know that?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Freddie Kitchens was one a done in 2019

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
First coach fired? Maybe Fangio

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

NFL Hot Seat Watch 2021: Urban Decay

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Urban will not last long in this league

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Nodoze posted:

First coach fired? Maybe Fangio

It is 100% Fangio after Bridgewater has 3 to 4 successive awful to bad games and he doesn't bench him.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

It's going to be Taylor. It will be a mercy firing.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I think the Jags will have a surprisingly good season and everyone will praise Urban as being super smart and showing that old-school disciplinary style coaching still working. They will taper off near the end of the year as everyone gets tape on their system but maybe sneak into a wilcard. Next year they will win 3 games and look like dogshit.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bengals won't fire Taylor, they'd have to pay a second coach.

Going with Matt Nagy after their offense is just plain bad yet again.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Zim Zam is going to get fired when the team craters again.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah good point, No way Zimmer isn't at least mild. He's gone if the Vikings don't like, make the playoffs

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Imo teams shouldn't get to fire coaches prior to their contract expiring but should get to trade them any time

Just shuffle the chairs around so they can try different failures out. And every time a contract expires an actual up and comer would get hired since the retreads are done already

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Kalli posted:

Yeah good point, No way Zimmer isn't at least mild. He's gone if the Vikings don't like, make the playoffs

Yeah he has already been on the hot seat and it seemed like he might get canned after last season TBH

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It will be amusing if the Vikings fire Zimmer but keep Cousins.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

SKULL.GIF posted:

It will be amusing if the Vikings fire Zimmer but keep Cousins.

Cousins salary is completely guaranteed next year so if they cut him they save no money. Trading him is the only option and I don't think anyone wants to take on 35 million dollars of Kirk Cousins.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Vikings could convert a chunk of that salary into a signing bonus to eat it themselves and trade Cousins as part of a deal, if they're blowing it all up.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Mike Vrabel is considered a good coach, but he's a defensive guy who has not had very good defenses. His main claim to fame has been Arthur Smith completely rehabilitating Ryan Tannehill. And now Arthur Smith is gone.

Fortunately for him they're in the AFC South so he probably won't be feeling much pressure

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Brian Flores will be in an interesting position when Tua Tankurseasonoa leads the Dolphins to a losing record.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I said it before, I’ll say it again: RIP 8-8, you will be missed.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Hire Jeff Fisher again so he can find a way to 8-8-1.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What if neither team showed up? Could it be 8-8-0?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Benne posted:

And don’t count out walking Powerthirst video Campbell, who has the type of gimmick that’s a lot less cute when your team is 2-9.

No way Campbell gets fired this year. Lions are locked into a long-term rebuild, and everyone understands this team has massive holes on both sides of the ball - particularly the offense. The absolute earliest I can see Campbell getting fired is at the end of next season, and that's if we really suck and there's absolutely zero signs of improvement.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
quote is not edit!

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Yeah, I agree Zimmer ought to be in “Mild”. Especially with how poor that defense has been of late. There’s a decent chance he won’t survive another down year: the Vikings are running out of time and I could see them panicking after another mediocre season.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Urban Meyer is good actually, until I decide he isn't. He should have been fired after the Saints preseason game and he's the future Head Coach of the Year after the Cowboys preseason game. How will the Texans game impact this?? Let's find out!!

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Everyone talking about bad the Vikings defense was last year should look at team's IR list last year. Out of the starting front seven there may have been one guy left at the end of the season who wasn't a backup.

Mike Zimmer did an amazing job considering the circumstances.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Darth Brooks posted:

Everyone talking about bad the Vikings defense was last year should look at team's IR list last year. Out of the starting front seven there may have been one guy left at the end of the season who wasn't a backup.

I don't think otherwise, to be clear, just that I could see the Vikings knee-jerk firing Zimmer as a scapegoat if the Vikings miss the playoffs again.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Darth Brooks posted:

Zimmer makes the playoffs in odd numbered years, so he should be safe for this season.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If the Bengals fail to fire Zac after a losing season I will lose my mind.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Mike Brown is too cheap to fire him and pay a second coach

Fat Mike is definitely going to end up on the hot seat this season if last night is any indication

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Remember when the cowboys kept Jason Garrett at head coach for nine years

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chucktesla posted:

At least he got .500 many times and made playoffs eventually

The last coach who had two straight-up losing seasons in a row (Dave Campo) was fired after a third try and similar result. I could see McCarthy not getting even that much rope if they get Dak back and in This lovely version of the lovely division and still can't get the job done, especially when they already reacted to his first failure by firing the DC

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Chucktesla posted:

Yeah but Jerry had this weird love of Garrett, he definitely doesn't have the same affinity for fat mike

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/ScottKacsmar/status/1436269781942947840

Just lol if Mike has to scapegoat his DC two years in a row

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Benne posted:

That's pretty much how he rolls. He's a Super Bowl winning coach, after all, and you can't blame him!

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Benne posted:

It’s performance art.
It rhymes with fart.
At this point, it’s safe to say Fat Mike is never not going to play for the field goal, which is a surer way to lose like this than ever before in today’s NFL.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

AndrewP posted:

Mike Vrabel is considered a good coach, but he's a defensive guy who has not had very good defenses. His main claim to fame has been Arthur Smith completely rehabilitating Ryan Tannehill. And now Arthur Smith is gone.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Urban Meyer, party of one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
...yeah, I was too generous on Zimmer