Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

syzpid posted:

I was curious, Andy Reid's longest tenured OC was Marty Mornhinweg with 7 years in Philly under him. Mornhinweg was never going to get another HC job though because Reid hired him coming off that hideous 5-27 two year stint leading the Lions.

Childress was the second longest at 4 years, but he also spent 1 year in KC as OC too.

Since coming to KC, Pederson was OC for 3 years before getting hired as a head coach, Nagy was OC for 1 year before the Bears hired him (4 years as QB Coach previously), and Pederson's OC, Frank Reich, was hired after 2 years (although he had 2 years previously as the Chargers OC) AND Frank Reich's OC was hired as a head coach after 3 years as OC.

I know the running joke is that the owners will hire anyone who stands near Sean McVay, but they seemingly love every OC from Andy Reid's tree EXCEPT Bieniemy. Mornhinweg's the only one that never got a head coaching job who has been his OC and there's obvious reasons for that.

Yes, they have Mahomes, and yes, there's Reid, but Bieniemy has been OC for seasons in which they finished 1st, 6th, 1st and 3rd in yards. They finished 1st, 5th, 6th and 4th in points. I think it's impossible to find a 4 year stretch that high for any offense in which the OC wasn't hired away.
he was a garbage OC at the college level when not working with Reid, maybe that's scaring some people away in the same way it did Mornhinweg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1497274350617210883?s=21

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Browns have a QB coach again. Haven't had one since Ryan Lindley under Kitchens.

https://twitter.com/dan_labbe/status/1497294297183539203

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Browns have a QB coach again. Haven't had one since Ryan Lindley under Kitchens.

https://twitter.com/dan_labbe/status/1497294297183539203

Maybe he can make Baker less bad at football

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

Maybe he can make Baker less bad at football

Going by his absolute refusal to work with QB coaches in the off season and that we haven't had one in 2 years I think it's more likely he tries to fight the guy.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Diva Cupcake posted:

He hasn't lacked interviews so maybe he just sucks at them.

I wonder how much being around people who are also interviewing or have recently interviewed helps as well. I imagine that Shanahan, McVay, LaFleur, Taylor, McDaniel and O'Connell are all using personalized variations of the same interview blueprint.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Diva Cupcake posted:

He hasn't lacked interviews so maybe he just sucks at them.

Yeah, this is a thing that happens. Dave Toub has had like a dozen interviews for head-coaching positions over the past decade-plus, and given his track record as an assistant (and how warmly his players speak of him), you'd think someone would have given him a chance--poo poo, it was considered a given he'd get the Colts job when Chris Ballard took over there--but he's still a special teams coach for Kansas City. At some point you have to assume he just interviews extremely poorly.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I don't think there is any particular reason to believe that interviewing well has any bearing on whether a coach will be successful or not. I would go so far to say that claims about how candidates interviewed are just expressions of owners and GMs biases during the interview process.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Simplex posted:

I don't think there is any particular reason to believe that interviewing well has any bearing on whether a coach will be successful or not. I would go so far to say that claims about how candidates interviewed are just expressions of owners and GMs biases during the interview process.

Good interviews is how stupid owners end up hiring Joe Philbin.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Simplex posted:

This is basically interviewing.txt in general so I’m sure you’re right. In the computer toucher world I’ve sat through so many interviews on both sides of the table where a candidate didn’t get selected because they didn’t know one pet bit of trivia the interviewer considered crucial despite being excellent in all other regards. And that’s without like 70 years of hubris brought in by nobody ever disagreeing with you like a billionaire nfl exec.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I don’t think interviewing well has much bearing on how good a coach they’d be, but it probably helps inform whether the owner/GM want to work alongside this person for the next 3-5.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's a big job to be a head coach beyond the coaching part. These are billionaires entrusting their delicate investment to be babysat and they want someone who has a well thought out plan.

Or at least that's what I tell myself and then they go and hire Adam Gase and my theory goes

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

kiimo posted:

It's a big job to be a head coach beyond the coaching part. These are billionaires entrusting their delicate investment to be babysat and they want someone who has a well thought out plan.

Or at least that's what I tell myself and then they go and hire Adam Gase and my theory goes

They want their egos coddled first, and the number to go up second. For most owners a franchise is a vanity investment.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Most of the owners are philanthropists first, job creators second. If they happen to make a couple bucks along the way, great.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

I don’t think interviewing well has much bearing on how good a coach they’d be, but it probably helps inform whether the owner/GM want to work alongside this person for the next 3-5.

Harbaugh didn't get the Vikings job because he tanked the interview.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

Most of the owners are philanthropists first,

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Not inaccurate.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
A good interview doesn't mean you'll be good at the job but if you suck at interviewing for a multimillion dollar job there's no reason whatsoever to take a risk on you not to suck at the actual job. You can't guarantee yourself a job with an interview but you can play yourself right out of one, basically.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Going by his absolute refusal to work with QB coaches in the off season

Cleveland Ben Simmons??

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

indigi posted:

Cleveland Ben Simmons??

God I wish this would result in us getting James Harden.

We probably did with OBJ though

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The Bucs hired Bob Sanders to be the new OLB coach. Bob Sanders owned as a player.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

wandler20 posted:

The Bucs hired Bob Sanders to be the new OLB coach. Bob Sanders owned as a player.

He did but sorry you are getting old white Bob Sanders.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Hand Row posted:

He did but sorry you are getting old white Bob Sanders.

Well that's certainly disappointing and Twitter is full of lies.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
bob sanders the player was also a safety so him coaching OLBs would be weird

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

a neat cape posted:

bob sanders the player was also a safety so him coaching OLBs would be weird

Kevin Sumlin was a linebacker and his first coaching job was coaching WRs. His head coaching career ended badly but he had some pretty drat good offenses for a time

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

fast cars loose anus posted:

Kevin Sumlin was a linebacker and his first coaching job was coaching WRs. His head coaching career ended badly but he had some pretty drat good offenses for a time

I didn't say it's never been done, just that it's kinda weird and unexpected.

Anyways I want player Bob Sanders to coach if he wants to coach now

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

https://twitter.com/AZCardinals/status/1499053752229138435?t=witIsDzNykD3PTX46tFjjA&s=19

Aren't cards fans pretty down on both of these guys

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

a neat cape posted:

I didn't say it's never been done, just that it's kinda weird and unexpected.

Anyways I want player Bob Sanders to coach if he wants to coach now

It wasnt meant to be a slam :shrug: just an interesting fact

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Somehwat, but they are still the guys who brought the Cardinals out of the shadow realm and into competing for division leads and having playoff games. So not that surprising after the turnaround they initiated, they just need to figure out how to keep the momentum into the back half of the season and the playoffs.

A little curious what Kyler's relationship with them is like. Are they part of his grievances?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

gently caress Bob Sanders (the player) (also possibly the coach, I don't know anything about him)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

extending keim till 2027 seems like more proof that the cardinals have zero introspection at the executive level. this is enough time for murray to have a moderate injury and then have a flirt with the playoffs at age 30 that ultimately ends in nothing. only question is does 2026 keim trade for an ancient bosa or aaron donald? and who is the mandatory pickup from the steelers?

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

hifi posted:

extending keim till 2027 seems like more proof that the cardinals have zero introspection at the executive level. this is enough time for murray to have a moderate injury and then have a flirt with the playoffs at age 30 that ultimately ends in nothing. only question is does 2026 keim trade for an ancient bosa or aaron donald? and who is the mandatory pickup from the steelers?

It's clearly the other Watt brothers.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Keim is better than *nuclear waste dump representing tenure before him* but he can't draft outside rounds 2/3 with consistency, signs old rear end FA hoping his medical staff can keep them on the field, etc.

I think Kliff is Matt Nagy with better PR.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Hope Cardinals fans are cool with 5-1 starts followed by 3-8 finishes because isn’t that all Kliff is good for, even before Kyler?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Forrest on Fire posted:

Keim is better than *nuclear waste dump representing tenure before him* but he can't draft outside rounds 2/3 with consistency, signs old rear end FA hoping his medical staff can keep them on the field, etc.

I think Kliff is Matt Nagy with better PR.

Who are the gms who “draft…with consistency” every round? I’m aware this is a softball for people who hate their gm have fun everybody

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

Who are the gms who “draft…with consistency” every round? I’m aware this is a softball for people who hate their gm have fun everybody

Arizona first rounders since 2011:

12 - Michael Floyd
13 - Jonathan Cooper
14 - Deone Bucannon (the only AZ jersey I own)
15 - DJ Humphries
16 - Nkemdieche
17 - Hassan Reddik
18 - Josh Rosen (traded up)
19 - Kyler Murray (owns)
20 - Isaiah Simmons (obvious pick)
21 - Zaven Collins

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Forrest on Fire posted:

12 - Michael Floyd
13 - Jonathan Cooper
15 - DJ Humphries
16 - Nkemdieche
17 - Hassan Reddik
19 - Kyler Murray (owns)
21 - Zaven Collins

yeah that's pretty grim. there's gonna be misses in the first round, happens all the time, but that is an ugly list there.

reminds me a little of the seahawks, another team that has done pretty loving badly in the first round

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Forrest on Fire posted:

12 - Michael Floyd
13 - Jonathan Cooper
15 - DJ Humphries
16 - Nkemdieche
17 - Hassan Reddik
19 - Kyler Murray (owns)
21 - Zaven Collins

that's jonathan cooper traded for chandler jones ya mean

i went to the cards preseason game where he snapped his leg, fun times

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Forrest on Fire posted:

12 - Michael Floyd
13 - Jonathan Cooper
15 - DJ Humphries
16 - Nkemdieche
17 - Hassan Reddik
19 - Kyler Murray (owns)
21 - Zaven Collins

ok but i don't know what that has to do with what i said. obviously sometimes you're going to draft poorly, or be unlucky. your assertion was that keim, apparently, "consistently" drafts well in rounds 2 and 3, but not in other rounds, as opposed to other, unstated gms. My assertion is no one drafts "consistently" well in any given round, both because the draft is mostly a crapshoot and because there's not any meaningful difference between evaluating players in round 3 vs round 4. if you have a bunch of success in one round and not another, that's probably just luck. i don't think keim is great or anything i just don't think that criticism makes any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/AZCardinals/status/1499446564422443009