Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

fast cars loose anus posted:

Kevin Sumlin was a linebacker and his first coaching job was coaching WRs. His head coaching career ended badly but he had some pretty drat good offenses for a time

Juan castillo going from offensive line coach to defensive coordinator was probably the bottom dropping out on big andy here in philly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Asproigerosis posted:

Juan castillo going from offensive line coach to defensive coordinator was probably the bottom dropping out on big andy here in philly.

the bottom dropped out when he allowed Washburn to run the DL with zero accountability to Castillo and also Washburn kept calling him the f-slur in front of players. like maybe Castillo could have done an average job but not in that environment

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

ok but i don't know what that has to do with what i said. obviously sometimes you're going to draft poorly, or be unlucky. your assertion was that keim, apparently, "consistently" drafts well in rounds 2 and 3, but not in other rounds, as opposed to other, unstated gms. My assertion is no one drafts "consistently" well in any given round, both because the draft is mostly a crapshoot and because there's not any meaningful difference between evaluating players in round 3 vs round 4. if you have a bunch of success in one round and not another, that's probably just luck. i don't think keim is great or anything i just don't think that criticism makes any sense.

My point is he's bad at drafting, bad to the point a five year extension is obviously the wrong move. He's not going to build through cost controlled means, so he's always going to fill the issues with old players. The Cardinals are not going to be driven by player development or anything that COULD be a benefit of Kliff if he was a decent coach. They're going to be filling needs with old temporary parts in perpetuity and with severely mixed outcomes.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT THIS THREAD WAS DEAD

https://twitter.com/peter_king/status/1509323350694404097

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Huh. This was rumored starting last year, but for it to happen at the end of March is something…

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So do the Bucs get draft picks for a minority hire?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah wow, guess Brady won that power struggle.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

do they have anything in place so that you can't hire a black guy for 1 year over and over and get draft picks every year

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cavauro posted:

do they have anything in place so that you can't hire a black guy for 1 year over and over and get draft picks every year
Todd Bowles has decided to step back down to DC and now Byron Leftwich has been hired as HC.

What do you mean we dont get extra picks for this?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
So the rules are:

1) your guy has to be hired by someone else as HC or GM
2) you have to have employed him for at least 2 years previously
3) He has to have been lower than HC/GM when he worked for you

e: It's hard to find this info for some reason googling quickly but there was some talk of doing things for people who hired coaches and kept them around but I don't think those got passed

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 31, 2022

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thank you loose anus. i was very worried about some coaches getting 2 years and then gone no matter what

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Cavauro posted:

thank you loose anus.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/1509329938394058753?s=20&t=6hkK5o3DS7I38W7tHO1-xA

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they fired more minority coaches than anyone

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

We've all thought that once or twice.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Cavauro posted:

they fired more minority coaches than anyone

Racist fucks! Why can't more owners be as progressive and enlightened as Jerry Jones?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

We've all thought that once or twice.

me more often than id prefer to admit

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Ahhhh why pick Bowles over Leftwich. Brady’s not sticking around forever and Bowles is 100% not a long term HC for the bucs.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Ahhhh why pick Bowles over Leftwich. Brady’s not sticking around forever and Bowles is 100% not a long term HC for the bucs.

Arians and Bowles have been close for a long time, with Bowles being the heir apparent to Arians being a known (Or very strongly suggested) thing for a while. It almost certainly predates Leftwich being a hot candidate as a coach, which has really only been the last year or so.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

No one cares more about Bowles getting the right opportunity than Arians. Bowles played for Arians at Temple. They're inseparable.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Anyone who actually follows the Bucs (very few, I know) knew that Bowles was always going to succeed Arians unless he took another HC job prior to Arians retiring. This was planned at least 2 years ago and probably when Bowles was hired as DC.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

This is a difficult situation. On the one hand, I hold no animus towards Bowles and I would like to see more successful minority coaches. But on the other hand, gently caress Tom Brady.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

wandler20 posted:

Anyone who actually follows the Bucs (very few, I know) knew that Bowles was always going to succeed Arians unless he took another HC job prior to Arians retiring. This was planned at least 2 years ago and probably when Bowles was hired as DC.

How much juice behind the Brady forced Bruce into retirement rumour is there?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

DariusLikewise posted:

How much juice behind the Brady forced Bruce into retirement rumour is there?

There is absolutely no pure evidence for that, but no one involved would be likely to talk. Someone posted a statement from Arians from earlier this year about wanting to coach a few more years and being excited about trying to bring on Trask or Gabbert, that's as close as it comes.

The rest is just assumptions, and perhaps knowing some things about Brady. I'm keeping an open mind, they both seem plausible to me.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

wandler20 posted:

How was this planned event such a shock to the NFL then? And why was Bruce not talking about it a year ago when he was asked about retirement? And why wouldn't this plan take place at the normal time that coaches announce retirements? And Tom Brady's faux retirement, reports about his friction with Arians, trade requests/rumors with Brady, and now this totally peculiar, post-Brady return retirement… all just a coincidence?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i know a lot of what's going on and no one has really said it so far. i follow the buccaneers every day and night. well here it is. bruce was planning on coaching this year without a qb, taking it on the chin, and giving his protege less of a lovely situation, with good draft picks to get a quarterback in the next draft. when that succession plan was changed due to tom brady deciding not to retire at the last minute, the plan was altered but in terms of bruce's feelings and legacy, not much

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
If you don't believe he forced Arians out then you are crazy

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I'm related to bruce and arian foster but I guess everybody here knows everything

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Bruce said nice things about Tom while they were in the same room together infront of the press. That's hard proof of bff's

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Maybe Arians decided he wanted to spend more time with his family and Tom decided he wanted to give it one more year, and neither of them were prepared to commit one way or the other without taking some time off to think about it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

acidx posted:

Maybe Arians decided he wanted to spend more time with his family and Tom decided he wanted to give it one more year, and neither of them were prepared to commit one way or the other without taking some time off to think about it.

Arians did commit to one way tho, then went another

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in business, it's not commitment until the toelet is flushed.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
LOL 100% Brady forcing out Arians. Arians says the plan was for him to retire next year and Bowles to take over. But he didn't want Bowles to get stuck coaching another bad team. Which was going to happen how? There's no more HC openings, Bowles was already passed over, and clearly Arians going into this season would have communicated to Bowles that he was planing to retire at the end of this season. So how or why would Bowles take any other job at the end of this season if Arians was planing to retire anyway.

Man I hope Brady really crashes and burns this season. I feel bad for Leftwich & Bowles if he does, but man does he deserve it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

syzpid posted:

LOL 100% Brady forcing out Arians. Arians says the plan was for him to retire next year and Bowles to take over. But he didn't want Bowles to get stuck coaching another bad team. Which was going to happen how? There's no more HC openings, Bowles was already passed over, and clearly Arians going into this season would have communicated to Bowles that he was planing to retire at the end of this season. So how or why would Bowles take any other job at the end of this season if Arians was planing to retire anyway.

Man I hope Brady really crashes and burns this season. I feel bad for Leftwich & Bowles if he does, but man does he deserve it.

If Arians loves Bowles as much as purported maybe he wanted to hand Bowles an easy winning season.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Would be pretty funny if Brady forced out Arians because he wanted to play for Leftwich only to get stuck with Bowles. Why would he consider Bowles an upgrade after seeing his teams finish 4th in the division 3 years in a row.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Docjowles posted:

Would be pretty funny if Brady forced out Arians because he wanted to play for Leftwich only to get stuck with Bowles. Why would he consider Bowles an upgrade after seeing his teams finish 4th in the division 3 years in a row.

Because Bowles will let him do whatever he wants on offense.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Why wouldn’t you want to run the offense Brady’s way? It’s proven to be pretty successful for a while.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

boop the snoot posted:

Why wouldn’t you want to run the offense Brady’s way? It’s proven to be pretty successful for a while.

Well, they won a SuperBowl with Arians running the offense, so that worked pretty well I’d say. Arians likes to do things his way and he’s been in the league a long time and was a pretty successful head coach, it’s not a surprise that he wouldn’t want to cede control of the offense to someone else.

Bowles knows Brady is his ticket to a redemption story and will bend over backwards to keep him happy.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Well, they won a SuperBowl with Arians running the offense, so that worked pretty well I’d say. Arians likes to do things his way and he’s been in the league a long time and was a pretty successful head coach, it’s not a surprise that he wouldn’t want to cede control of the offense to someone else.

Bowles knows Brady is his ticket to a redemption story and will bend over backwards to keep him happy.

I thought Brady took over control of the offense some way through 2021?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

I thought Brady took over control of the offense some way through 2021?

Nah. There was a meeting in 2020 where Arians opened things up to Brady for input but they were still running the mostly same concepts that are staples of Arians playbook.