Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
It's Urbz

posted:

Meyer already has had “repeated issues” with his assistant coaches and has “rubbed the coaching staff and players the wrong way,” CBS Sports reported Sunday morning, citing sources.

[Meyer] has everyone looking over their shoulders already,” one source told CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora. “He becomes unhinged way too easily, and he doesn’t know how to handle losing, even in the preseason. He loses it and wants to take over the drills himself. It’s not good.”

Another source told La Canfora that Meyer has “lashed out” at members of his coaching staff and “called some of their job security into question” after preseason losses.

“You can’t freak out about preseason games and belittle your coaches — on a staff you handpicked — every time things don’t go your way,” the second source said. “It’s not going to work here.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Ravens fans already so convinced their season is done that they have to resort to whining about old lazy eye Mike Vrabes. Hate to see it

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

My prediction was Urbz out by Week 14

Might have to move that up a tad

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Nagy should be immediately fired after that opening drive

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Benne posted:

Nagy should be immediately fired after not starting Justin Fields

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
The Bears should build a time machine so they can fire Matt Nagy after the 2020 season. Or better yet, go back to when they hired him and just hire some other loser instead.

Vikings losing to the Bengals was a bad look. The Jaguars getting lit up by the loving Texans is so much worse.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

With 17 game seasons now, is 9 wins a failure?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Opinion pieces coming out clearly leaked by people within the organization complaining about his outlook and practices is REALLY not a good sign. This happened before week loving 1 lol

So many college coaches seem to not really get it, they start to believe they are the hottest poo poo in history when actually their school just recruited the best players. Which is a talent in its own right, I suppose, but not something that's going to help an NFL coach

Barudak posted:

With 17 game seasons now, is 9 wins a failure?

I'd say no since it's over .500 but the calculus is certainly different now. 9 wins could get you into the playoffs if you're in the worst divisions

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

The Bears should build a time machine so they can fire Matt Nagy after the 2020 season. Or better yet, go back to when they hired him and just hire some other loser instead.

Vikings losing to the Bengals was a bad look. The Jaguars getting lit up by the loving Texans is so much worse.

Truth be told, I'm not really a Nagy hater. But I really don't get why he's trotting out &e. The Bears have the skill position core to be really explosive on offense. I think there was a lot to be optimistic about. And his playcalling was the most balanced I've ever seen out of him this early in the season. I see these flashes of a great coach and I know if we fire him, he's gonna be incredible at his second job.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

hm i can believe it about urbz but on the other hand it's la canfora

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Petrino made it 13 games in Atlanta before slithering into the night. I don't think Meyer will be fired, but will have pissed off enough people that he develops a recurrence of his heart condition before then.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Play posted:

I'd say no since it's over .500 but the calculus is certainly different now. 9 wins could get you into the playoffs if you're in the worst divisions

I mean, so can 7 wins.

I agree with you its still over .500 but I have a suspicion a 9-8 record is gonna be viewed as "8-8" caliber season now and some coaches are gonna find themselves bounced after those

I'm curious how many people get fired after a winning season, but I'm also way too lazy to do the research correctly instead of googling the answer and google didn't want to help

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Barudak posted:

I'm curious how many people get fired after a winning season, but I'm also way too lazy to do the research correctly instead of googling the answer and google didn't want to help

The last coach to get fired after a winning season was Jim Caldwell in 2017, because 9-7 was just unacceptable for the lofty standards of the Detroit Lions. You'll be shocked to learn that they haven't finished above .500 since then.

Before that, you have to go back to 2014, when the Broncos fired John Fox after going 12-4. They called it a "mutual parting of ways" but it was obvious to everyone that Peyton and Fox weren't getting along, Fox took the blame for that SB blowout loss the year earlier and basically had no leverage after his defense kept falling apart in big games.

Benne fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 13, 2021

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Petrino made it 13 games in Atlanta before slithering into the night. I don't think Meyer will be fired, but will have pissed off enough people that he develops a recurrence of his heart condition before then.

Jerry Jones will call Urbz and offer him the HC job at Arkansas just like he did with Petrino.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
It's the best thing for Lawrence that Meyer flames himself out quickly

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

FizFashizzle posted:

Jerry Jones will call Urbz and offer him the HC job at Arkansas just like he did with Petrino.

Watching egocentric college coaches flame the gently caress out in the NFL is my kink.

I starting saying around 2012 that people one day would look at a "Super Bowl Winning Coach"-captioned picture of Mike McCarthy and say "that loving guy won a Super Bowl??". We're close. We're so close.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Benne posted:

The last coach to get fired after a winning season was Jim Caldwell in 2017, because 9-7 was just unacceptable for the lofty standards of the Detroit Lions. You'll be shocked to learn that they haven't finished above .500 since then.

Before that, you have to go back to 2014, when the Broncos fired John Fox after going 12-4. They called it a "mutual parting of ways" but it was obvious to everyone that Peyton and Fox weren't getting along, Fox took the blame for that SB blowout loss the year earlier and basically had no leverage after his defense kept falling apart in big games.

Its actually the 9-7s Im most interested in. Im curious if winning more than 9 games is more likely to result in your firing.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Marty got fired after a 14-2 season

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

nah posted:

Marty got fired after a 14-2 season

Everyone but the owner and GM knew that was stupid.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Urban actually taking an NFL coaching job surprised me. I thought for sure it would be one of those constant speculation talking points used to get bigger media contracts.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gorson posted:

Watching egocentric college coaches flame the gently caress out in the NFL is my kink.

Of the many many things I've successfully predicted, the NFL one I'm most fond of getting right from the start was Chip Kelly wouldn't last

Urban's gonna speedrun NFL Chip but without the one okay/fluke year that briefly tricks everyone else into thinking it might actually end up well

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Chris James 2 posted:

Of the many many things I've successfully predicted, the NFL one I'm most fond of getting right from the start was Chip Kelly wouldn't last

Urban's gonna speedrun NFL Chip but without the one okay/fluke year that briefly tricks everyone else into thinking it might actually end up well

It's going to be incredible, I also think his health issues are suddenly and conveniently going to come back right at the opportune moment and he will bail. I give it 10 games.

LOL

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Benne posted:

FIRST-YEAR COACHES
David Culley, Houston Texans

while Culley might be the most obvious unqualified fall guy since Jim Tomsula.

Late to this and I think I've noted it somewhere before, but David Culley was the WR coach for the Chiefs in the year where they had zero WR touchdowns.

But hey, good first week! And he's coached for Andy Reid and John Harbaugh so he knows how things work you'd hope. I find him more boring and in an impossible situation long term than anything.

fake edit: Huh also a position coach for Bill Cowher and Sam freaking Wyche. Dude's been around a hell of a long time.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Loki (2021)

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Someone add some lasers coming out of that dude's eyes.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

DariusLikewise posted:

I think the Jags will have a surprisingly good season and everyone will praise Urban as being super smart and showing that old-school disciplinary style coaching still working. They will taper off near the end of the year as everyone gets tape on their system but maybe sneak into a wilcard. Next year they will win 3 games and look like dogshit.

I was wrong, this team is crashing and burning in front of our eyes.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

"I'm choosing to focus on my health and family"

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Urbz is gonna pull a Petrino and resign midseason to take the USC job

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Urbz is gonna pull a Petrino and resign midseason to take the USC job

I hadn't actually looked, or I heard and kinda forgot other than Bevell and Schotty. But the Jags whole coaching staff is very funny/tragic even without the whole S&C coach thing.

https://www.jaguars.com/team/coaches-roster/

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Grittybeard posted:

I hadn't actually looked, or I heard and kinda forgot other than Bevell and Schotty. But the Jags whole coaching staff is very funny/tragic even without the whole S&C coach thing.

Bob Sutton oh god :psyberger:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Grittybeard posted:

Positional Coaches are whatever but Joe Cullen

quote:

Cullen was arrested in 2006 for driving under the influence as the defensive line coach of the Detroit Lions. In another incident, also during the 2006 pre-season, he was arrested after he drove through a Wendy's drive-thru naked.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

DariusLikewise posted:

Let he who is without sin...

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

DariusLikewise posted:

What's his account

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

DariusLikewise posted:

“Sir, this is a Wendy’s drive th-oh for gently caress’s sake!”

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1437526194019348482

Do it Urban you coward

Benne fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 13, 2021

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

lmao

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/mlombardiNFL/status/1437539547060002823

:yeshaha:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

You can't just turn tail and run from the NFL after a single game. That is insane. No one with any dignity and self respect, not to mention loyalty, would do that

On the other hand, the Jaguars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

This HAS to be bullshit pot stirring.