Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

How are u posted:

I am enjoying this silly game so far, thank you for doing this LP :)

He's actually chosen one of probably the two or three most 'normal' factions, being made up almost entirely of mundane humans with a vaguely historical theming. Some of the other races/civs that are playable get really wild.

We've already had mention of the Demonologist, who as the name suggests can summon powerful demons from different planes that will hopefully not just murder the caster who summoned them. If they've still got some of the features from CoE4 then they may be something that needs nipped in the bud sooner than later since they have an ability to make gates to the literal plane of hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Dryad Queen faction descriptions are all written by the male centaur sages, and it reads basically as if the male centaurs got possessed by the imperialist, mysoginist spirit of the Victorian British Empire. You can feel the Britishness oozing out of the descriptions of the upgraded units especially.
Complete with fetishization of 'progress' and 'modernity'.

The top-tier minotaur description mentions that late-game centaur society has posh theaters and dances.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

It's called dressage.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

It looks like the clouds above the capital might actually go somewhere after all. Some of the clouds aren't exactly stable, though, so units that don't fly need to watch their step; it is entirely possible to have them give way and dump you to the ground below.

I assume that that hurts?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

I assume that that hurts?

If they don't have some way of flying it's an insta-kill.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Bernicus Sanderius, part 6

Now that we're wandering around in the clouds it's long past time to get some real mage support, a lot of ethereal monsters live up there. The Renatus is the big brother of the Renata, with 2nd level spells that are a huge improvement over Mysticism's mediocre 1st level spells. They're also pseudo-immortal, and if slain they have an opportunity to navigate their way back to the world through Hades (they can also visit Hades voluntarily, but if they die there they're dead for real so it's pretty risky.)

Out west, our new centurion picks up a free watchtower and discovers some of the illusionist's holdings undefended.

Further south in the tropics, the centurion finds a castle and a port.

Castles actually have bigger walls and tougher gates than cities or towers, which gives their archers enough of an advantage to do some damage. We still give better than we take, but it's not free.

Taking the port proves similarly painful. Our lack of a front line is starting to show, those shields are really good at blocking arrows.

I don't have time to finish mopping up the illusionist's villages before another centaur stack appears.

This one looks pretty scary, but it's 90% wild animals. The dryad queen has some extremely scary stuff but thankfully the AI does stupid stuff like pissing all their resources away summoning trash.

I pick up a handy item on the market. Increased map movement is extremely valuable, and this fits in a miscellaneous item slot.

The southernmost peninsula is secured, and I move in to take care of the wandering knights.

Taking on knights without a front line turns out to be a bad idea. I'm definitely getting sloppy down here now that I know that it's mostly safe and I have troops to burn. We still win, sort of.

The dryad stack has enough magic on its side that I'd really like to consolidate forces some before taking them on, and if I can arrange a decisive battle in a fort for the sake of my siege engines all the better. The AI is more interested in grabbing settlements than forcing a battle, which suits me fine.

With the Renatus on my side I decide to take on the storm demon that's wandering around the clouds. He's a pretty mean customer, ethereal with a natural AoE attack and 2nd level casting in a pretty good school. Luckily, it rolled pretty poorly on spell selection and the AI inexplicably decided not to equip its only attack spell.

It proceeds to own itself with an insanely high exploding roll using its gust of wind AoE in melee.

Sadly, there's nothing up here for us after all. Theoretically the shifting clouds might eventually give us a bridge to those other clouds off the edge, but odds are they're just a few stray squares that don't go anywhere either.

Back in centaur country I've collected the reinforced troops from the guard tower and am back on the offensive, obliterating the tiny garrison that was left behind in the town.

The dryad stack had wandered off for reasons that are unclear, but I meet back up with them just west of the town.

I lose some troops, mostly to poison, but the dryad lines just dissolve. Their heavily armored centaur commander is holding the line more or less by himself, which is impressive, but won't last forever.

These things are pretty much literal tanks. We're lucky it's just the commander; if a dryad queen gets her hands on a ton of metal and the right recruitment sites she can produce these as line troops. Half a dozen templar knights in the capital nearly killed a 50-man army and took several ballistae to put down, and these guys are substantially tougher than that.

The dryad queen knows charm spells, but I get lucky and none of them land. It wouldn't be devastating if they did, but it's still effectively at least one death if it goes off.

The reinforcements I pulled in were probably overkill, but it's better to be safe than sorry when dealing with real mages.

Shortly afterwards, I get a hell of an offer. I can easily afford to buy out the whole list here (although I skip the reveler because I only really need the one.)

When you recruit mercenary wizards (but not your special faction-specific casters) they frequently come with a magic item or maybe even two. Since magic item offers often cost about as much as a wizard anyhow, this is a pretty great deal. In this case, the Old Wizard comes with this bonkers staff that makes any spellcaster cast as if they were 1 level higher. He's already a level 3 caster and there's no such thing as level 4 spells, but this does mean that he can now doublecast level 3 spells. As an added bonus it has spirit sight, so now the wizard also has built in scouting.

The green enchantress came with a magic hat that has an HP boost, which I immediately transfer to the much more valuable old wizard (hence the HP discrepency.) She rolled some fantastic spells, though, with multiple charms and a hostile polymorph.

The hits keep rolling in with another great slate of offers. The serpent priest I could take or leave, but I grab the dark wizard; again, it's probably a free magic item. And I know I bashed the renata before, but...

It's high time that Bernie took an empress.

Marrying a renata upgrades them to level 2 spells. They're still worse than Renati, and Livinia definitely rolled worse on her spell selection than the Renatus we already had, but the empress opens up new ritual possibilities for later.

That dark wizard is no slouch either. It's not the most impressive school of magic but Lashes of Darkness is a high precision barrage of nonelemental damage; it allows a magic resistance roll, but a very difficult one. He comes with a Crown of Golden Mastery (just like our iron booster crown, and equally useless at present) and a Gem of True Seeing, giving me another built-in scout.

The old wizard leads the anti-centaur army forth and discovers one of their forward bases. Sacred groves are the dryad queen's spawning grounds, which accounts for the rapid reinforcements on their earlier stacks

They've got a small handful of high quality troops there, but they're badly outnumbered.

With the old wizard in tow that's basically irrelevant though. A double casting of acid rain devastates their front line; the centaurs are beefy enough to survive it, but just barely.

I think I may have some friendly fire issues, though.

Beyond the sacred grove, the wizard discovers an iron mine for the taking and a mountain so tall it extends into the clouds above.

Checking in on our southern explorations there are a couple of hamlets across the bay and a few more mines, although I spy a giant spider stealing some of the jungle villages.

The mines aren't quite as free for the taking, but the legion still makes short work of the single troll.

Back north the wizard ascends into the heavens and is immediately greeted by a terrifying trio of rocs.

They are less terrifying than an old wizard with a magic staff. Triple-cast poison mist stacks up a lot of poison very quickly and just shreds the rocs, although they have no defenses other than lots of HP so the legionaries are able to put in some decent work themselves.

Next door to the mountain peak is this very formidable cloud giant castle. Something tells me I'm not going to win this one in a couple furious volleys of spells.

Some of the illusionists' troops show up to reclaim his town down south.

Between them and that yellow minotaur-led stack wandering around I decide to leave the clouds to the birds for now and head back down to earth to pick up another mine from the dryads. In the process I spot another illusionist stack wandering around the dryads' backcountry.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A bunch of old renata biddies run an eugenics conspiracy in the background, complete with rumors of an evangelion-esque cloning facility for renatus.

I love how the senator faction has all these conspiracies and such that exist in the background and get fleshed out as you recruit and unlock more advanced units.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
I'm reasonably sure the Renatae are a Bene Gesserit stand-in (eugenics, marrying others, the water) with the Renatus being a succession of Gholas or some such, but it's vague enough I couldn't say for sure.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pharohman777 posted:

A bunch of old renata biddies run an eugenics conspiracy in the background, complete with rumors of an evangelion-esque cloning facility for renatus.

I love how the senator faction has all these conspiracies and such that exist in the background and get fleshed out as you recruit and unlock more advanced units.

In the end, though, what truly matters is this bullshit postponed the scribe's stipend. AGAIN.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Senator Bernicus Sanderius, part 7

In addition to wizards, you will occasionally get recruitment offers for heroes, fairly buff front line commanders who also tend to come with random magic items. They're cheaper than most wizards, so if nothing else they're a great source of magic items although there is a gacha element involved since you don't get to see what you're buying until after the fact. This one just comes with a crown that boosts morale for their troops, which is not terribly impressive. By default fights in CoE are to the death and morale only exists to resist specific fear abilities which are relatively rare. It's not bad to have, but it's irrelevant for the majority of fights.

The minotaur's stack is a massive step down, so it's possible the dryad queen is running out of troops. The fight doesn't even last long enough for the old wizard to frag any of our front line.

Our centurion secures a guard tower way down south, giving us another recruitment site in our backfield. It's a good opportunity to top up after attrition from these indies.

The illusionist is getting saucy. With the dryad queen on the back hoof, I decide to focus on blue for a while.

Their magic mirrors release several illusionary beasts before the battle is joined.

These are about as scary as disposessed spirits. They do have more and harder-hitting attacks, but they have a magic resistance roll to negate the damage--you have to be really stupid to believe in the illusion hard enough that it can actually hurt you.

Guess what doesn't care about etherealness?

The illusionist does have a mid-level caster with some wide area sleep spells, which is annoying, but they're definitely outgunned here.

The mirrors keep churning out illusory troops, and they even have some upgraded illusions. Phantasms have real stats and their attacks are much harder to resist, but they're still ethereal, so they're actually kind of a threat.

The illusionist does get some good spells in--the odd legionary here and there gets flipped by confusion spells, a few of them flee due to fear spells. Still, the illusionist gets stomped.

Take away the mages on both sides and this would have been a pretty even fight; each of those mirrors is worth several illusory soldiers, who are actually decent against my human troops. But with me having a level 3 caster up on them, it's not even close. That guy's easily worth more than 350 gold worth of troops would have been here.

Floating eyes are scout-only units that illusionists can make. They're stupid and uncontrollable, they're non-combatants so they can't actually participate in fights and automatically get overrun by enemies, they just wander around the map giving you expanded vision. I mostly just think they're funny because illwinter just took one of the vision-related status icons and made it their map sprite.

Two guard towers side by side. This is a pretty nice find, it will make it very easy to quickly recruit a lot of troops to the front.

I crush the harpy scout sitting in the tower and spot several more incoming stacks. Ancient forests act as bases for the dryad queen, but the AI hasn't upgraded this one to a sacred grove yet.

I drop the ballistae off to hold the tower and charge in the larger stack. I've got the numbers, but this is the scariest front line we've seen yet, with multiple upgraded minotaurs and white centaurs. Worse, the dryad queen in back rolled a mass confusion spell. Confusion in CoE is no joke--confused units can actually go neutral and start fighting both sides, or even switch teams outright. Note that this doesn't actually end the confusion, so a beefy but stupid unit can wind up switching back and forth more than once in a single combat.

Upgraded minotaurs get more HP and a point of armor, which is a huge multiplier on their meaty HP pool. They're still probably less scary than the better types of knights, but way scarier than something like generic ogres.

White centaurs aren't terribly much better than regular centaur warriors; they get a little extra HP and damage, and they get out-of-combat healing (unlike Dominions wounded troops only recover like 10-20% of their HP per turn normally, so this is a nice perk), but nothing that's a real gamechanger. The Big Deal here is that the dryad queen can summon them en masse relatively cheaply. This looks like a single summon of them at 400 herbs, which sounds like a lot, but herbs are a lot more common than gold or iron so this compares favorably to recruitable cavalry IMO--and spending herbs doesn't interfere with the dryad queen also spending money & gold on regular centaur warriors.

While the ritual that summons them has several other outcomes 1) white centaurs are the most common result and 2) most of the other results are high-value mages. If the AI had skipped the animal summoning ritual and spent its herbs on these guys this war might be going very differently.

The first row dies with only light damage to the enemy heavies. If this was a head to head battle between conventional forces I'd be straight hosed; even double the troops would have had a hairy battle here.

Thankfully, this is not a head to head battle between conventional forces.

It's still an expensive battle. Our entire front line is obliterated, and an entire rank of archers behind them as well. Those are cheap compared to what the other side lost, though. The green enchantress does actually manage to bag a minotaur with a charm spell, at least.

I hire a leo to bring up some reinforcements (including the dark wizard I bought some time ago) and spot a stack of phase spiders. These things are bad news; they're nasty enough on their own, but when you see them around it probably means that other horrors from the void are probably going to be dropping into the neighborhood periodically. If you start near stonehenge or some other similarly mystical site you can wind up with a million of these assholes stumbling around your home turf and they loving hurt.

They eat a hero and 10 hastati before they go down, and that's with the mages doing most of the heavy lifting. I'm pretty sure I still could have won regardless, but it would have been extremely close for a wandering freespawn indie fight.

Backpedaling from the action a bit, I just hit 1000 gold a few turns ago. This means that I can do something very interesting with the emperor & empress. What is better than Emperor Bernie?

God-Emperor Bernie, of course! Granted, he will have to wait his turn since I only have enough money for one and the empress goes first. Despite slanderous reports of misogynistic Bernici fratres, Bernie supports women in their efforts to break the ultimate glass ceiling.

The God-Empress upgrade is not loving around. The empress doesn't just get level 3 spells, she gets an entire second school of magic at level 3 and gets to cast from both of them at once. Also she's a giant size titan with twenty times as much HP as before. She can make herself invincible to nonmagical attacks, make every enemy on the battlefield save vs. sleep, confuse multiple clusters of enemies, cast two save-or-dies at once, and hit 7 enemies with long-lasting hard-to-resist paralyzation. This is what a proper endgame unit looks like, and while the senator only gets 2 (and then only in specific empire-friendly eras) they are a loving steal at 1000 gold (or even 3000 for the pair, if you throw in the costs of coronation & wedding.)

This does mean that she can no longer use most human-size equipment, but I slap the dream crystal on her for a 4th point of movement so she can get around faster.

Also, she flies.

Most flying units aren't capable of indefinite flight--if you end your turn in midair you get "tired" and have to find a spot to rest next turn or you'll go crashing to earth (or water, instakilling anyone who doesn't breathe water.) The AI doesn't cope with this well, nor do inexperienced players who don't realize how airborne endurance works since the only indication of tiredness is the commander's name turning slightly pinkish.

This is a problem, since one of the new factions is built entirely around flying units. Rather than fix the AI or institute guardrails to make it harder for human players to accidentally crash their flyers, Illwinter wrote the bird peoples' fluff that they are canonically so stupid they constantly get themselves killed in boneheaded flying accidents. Problem solved!

Despite my depleted forces, I press in to take the ancient forest. An animal-heavy stack has appeared in the north and is threatening to retake the sacred grove, but I can pump out more troops from the guard tower over there.

I easily kill the two (2) dryad units holding the grove, but the illusionist is raiding my undefended frontier with a random hero. I was angling to take the port and don't feel like turning around with these ballistae slowing me down, so blue will have free reign in this neighborhood for a few turns.

Lavinia finds another chain of clouds across the strait.

The ancient forest is way too far away to get the reveler over here anytime soon, but the old wizard has his own way of dealing with it.

The battle for the port goes pretty much as expected now that I can just casually pop out half a dozen ballistae or so.

More dryad fodder shows up as reinforcements, but the ancient forest is already torched.

The moose stack up north has started wandering back this way, probably to consolidate with the newcomers--the AI isn't capable of much, but it does know how to combine all its troops into a big old death ball. Rather than give them the opportunity I stomp them while they're isolated.

My Dominions instincts kick in and I buy a pair of earth boots off the market before I realize that I have no access to Geomancy and there are no recruitable earth mages in the mercenary wizard pool.

I decide to disregard the wandering minotaur and head onwards to the next ancient forest. If I can eliminate the dryad's bases then I won't have to play whack-a-mole with these little stacks.

The forest's defenders make a heroic but brief last stand.

:black101: Victory! I guess that sacred grove we found was their starting point. The AI doesn't really seem to be smart enough to understand saving up for infrastructure rituals or we would have seen more groves and more dryad spawn. Although that still would have been easier than if they just dumped everything in white centaur summoning.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
Burning Ancient Forests (or just regular Forests) when you have no use for them is definitely the go-to solution when there's any other factions that do need forests for resources.

Although if you haven't already noticed don't move or end a turn with your units in a forest that's currently burning as they'll all take fire damage unless they resist fire, and most human units don't have the health to survive a turn or two of that so your legion can literally melt away in fires you created. So basically don't try and burn a forest unless you have 1 movement point left to move out of that space before you end the turn.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Voting time!

I'm probably getting close to the halfway point writing up this run and would like to get a head start on the next one, so I'm putting it to a vote.

A) Cloud Lord - equivalent to Caelum from Dominions minus the cultural themes, so just generic bird people with storm/ice magic.
B) Kobold King - D&D tiny dragon people, the ultimate expendable fodder faction plus sorcerers and dragons.
C) Scourge Lord - D&D Dark Sun defilers: wizards who drain the planet's lifeforce to fuel their magic, leaving barren wasteland behind.
D) Barbarians - an older faction who recently got a few new updates but still aren't very good, more of a challenge run.
E) Something else - write-ins welcome!

If anyone is curious as to which of these Bernie might run into later and would like to take that into account: Kobolds and Scourge Lord both show up in this run.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
KoBold!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Cloud Lord for a more magical faction instead of the human/troop factions

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
Voting for Kobolds or Cloud Lords as I'd love to see some of the new factions.

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
Are the Cloud Lords the bird people canonically so stupid they constantly get themselves killed in boneheaded flying accidents? That.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

A. Cloud Lord

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Enchanter

You have shown the wonders of socialism.

Now unleash the brutal fist of industrialization and capitalism (and GOLEMS)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kobolds

Also lolling that you still get a Pretender God. Eventually.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

cloudlord bonerhitler uber alles but only in the most literal sense (in the sky)

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
This series's idiosyncrasies being written into unit descriptions is tad endearing.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
A Cloudlord

Did they finally fix being able to marry and ascend multiple empresses?

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Kobold

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

habituallyred posted:

A Cloudlord

Did they finally fix being able to marry and ascend multiple empresses?

I think so. I tried, but it wouldn't let me marry a second empress either before or after Lavinia ascended. Not sure if you can replace her if she dies, but I would assume so.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

the holy poopacy posted:

Voting time!

I'm probably getting close to the halfway point writing up this run and would like to get a head start on the next one, so I'm putting it to a vote.

A) Cloud Lord - equivalent to Caelum from Dominions minus the cultural themes, so just generic bird people with storm/ice magic.
B) Kobold King - D&D tiny dragon people, the ultimate expendable fodder faction plus sorcerers and dragons.
C) Scourge Lord - D&D Dark Sun defilers: wizards who drain the planet's lifeforce to fuel their magic, leaving barren wasteland behind.
D) Barbarians - an older faction who recently got a few new updates but still aren't very good, more of a challenge run.
E) Something else - write-ins welcome!

If anyone is curious as to which of these Bernie might run into later and would like to take that into account: Kobolds and Scourge Lord both show up in this run.

Kobold or barb

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I see Bernicus' student loan reform policies are gaining him support among Old Wizards.

C: Scourge Lord. Let us see what the power of magic capitalism can do.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 17, 2021

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A: Cloud Lord

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
A) Cloud Lord

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Interesting thing about the lack of level 4 spells: it's a purely base game thing. Modding wise, you can actually make spell and ritual levels that go up to rank 9.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Bernicus Sanderius, part 8

I've finally reached the end of the southern peninsula, but I've lost most of the stuff behind me to wandering indies, so I start crawling back to reclaim them.

These guys randomly show up from time to time in villages you own; blue already has one that's been wandering around in some screenshots. You can order them around freely as commanders but they can't actually lead troops. They can be handy for capturing stuff in your backfield that gets unflagged by wandering indies, and they can probably murder a couple deer or bandits, but even most indies are too tough for them to solo.

The illusionist's stack wandered back away and I didn't feel like blundering around after them in the snow, so I go to finally take care of the graveyard and what do you know, there they are.

No mage support. My big wizard isn't in the neighborhood, but some mage support is better than none.

I hire a Moon Mage, who turns out to be much less interesting than he sounded. He's got a sleep spell that's worse than most sleep spells at this level and a fear spell.

Lavinia has made her way over across the clouds and is now close to the front.

I'm not finding anything interesting in the sky, so I decide to fly south and divebomb a watch tower behind the front lines.

When the weather is cold enough, certain bodies of water can freeze solid enough to allow land units to walk across them. It's the third month of winter, so I decide to gamble on the AI being dumb enough to get their hero drowned in the spring thaw and send my wizard stack south.

I've been engaged in a low-speed chase with this stack all winter through rough snowy terrain, which is irritating, but on the plus side this gives the empress time to meet up with the leo's stack.

We're technically outnumbered here, but this is the stack with no mage support and I've got a goddess in reserve.

Between the empress and the dark wizard the opening salvo sees a number of enemies confused and terrified, and she hasn't even brought out the big guns yet.

Once she does the enemy army spends most of the rest of the fight asleep.

Disappointingly I actually take semi-real losses, although the army's big enough to absorb them. I don't even manage to keep any confused troops since they all got killed too quickly.

I buy another magic boosting item that I have no conceivable use for, I just find this one hilarious.

It came alongside a new mage recruit. These guys are weak, but if you find a sufficiently high enough level library you can pay to promote them to an Adept of the Iron/Silver/Gold Order which might actually let me get some use out of the magic crowns.

If nothing else, a commander is a commander and I have stuff to claim up here.

Making headway securing the south.

The wizard recaptures Lorborough and the outlying villages, and discovers a mystical column guarded by some nasty void monsters. You may have noticed some odd weather patterns in some screenshots: the mystical column reverses weather in a circular radius around it, so it will be temperate during winter and snowy during summer.

The column is an interesting novelty, but it's mostly noteworthy for occasionally spawning horrible void monsters like this thing. It's 44 HP and ethereal, and even has a little damage resistance from its 1 armor. And it will aboslutely mess up anything that tries to melee it.

Its backups are squishier, but have a built in confuse attack.

If I didn't have a very powerful spellcaster to deal with it I would stay well away. This won't stop phase spiders and other nasty stuff from periodically popping up in the vicinity, though.

I spot yet another graveyard as the illusionist sends another stack by. It's summer and I'm stuck in frozen hell so I just go ahead and capture it, I have other forces to deal with these schmucks.

Lavinia duels a wraith for one of the other graveyards closer to the heartland. It doesn't really stand a chance, although it takes a while for her to fatally pierce its magic resistance.

Awww. I was hoping this guy drowned last spring.

These guys don't have any mage support either, and I have a god-queen who can make herself invulnerable at will.

It takes a long time for her to pick everything off with her single target death spell, but there was literally only one possible outcome. She even picked up a friend along the way!

Now that the dryad queen is dead I can explore the north at my leisure. This is another big "what if"; had the dryad queen bothered picking up this mine right in her backcourt she might have been able to make some of the even more heavily armored centaurs. Or maybe not, I'm not entirely sure the AI understands how the dryad queen's troop upgrade system works.

Floating eyes are showing up all over the goddamn place all of a sudden. Not entirely sure where these are coming from, I haven't been seeing them lately.

The moon mage takes a handful of troops to hunt down the unexpected hero wandering around.

Ah! He has a summoning item that pops out a killer mushroom as backup. These types of items are fairly common in CoE, even moreso than Dominions.

The mushroom itself isn't a big deal; there are a few very deadly mushroom enemies, but this one just spreads a modest amount of poison around. It's definitely not enough. He falls, ending the blue side once and for all.

I'm surprised we didn't see more illusionists proper; either the AI got unlucky with recruitment offers or they lost a bunch to attrition before we saw them. We haven't seen their starting citadel yet but it seems like they had a fairly central location, so it's entirely possible they got chewed up by other AIs.

I'm feeling reasonably secure in the central region here, so I push onwards to fill the void the illusionist left behind before someone else can.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
By my count cloud lord is leading kobold by 3. I'm going to be busy this weekend so I won't actually start playing the next run until next week, but barring a surge in kobold support it looks like the next playthrough will be birbs.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008
If you lose your senator, can you hire another?

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
I assume since you had several battles where you killed both the Illusionist and Master Illusionist that those were the only two mage related commanders they had, so even with a couple of general melee commanders they never really could recover.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So all this coronation and everything was basically all to get that God Empress, was it?

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Voting for Kobolds!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

AmishSpecialForces posted:

If you lose your senator, can you hire another?

Yes, another one will pop up, but, like all commanders in CoE, its random when it does.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Night10194 posted:

So all this coronation and everything was basically all to get that God Empress, was it?

We got the God Empress first but the Empress isn't the only one who can ascend to godhood. Also if you're playing a game with fewer high-magic factions then the Emperor's statue summon is very much worthwhile to make sure only dedicated raids will have any effect.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I've tried two times to get my precious bird people to conquer Elysium, and failed both times :negative:

Voting for Cloud Lords to learn how it's done.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Kobolds because their gimmick is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011
I know they don't stand a chance, but I gotta throw in my vote for Enchanter. I love the nonsense you can get into with late game Enchanters.

Super excited to see a Conquest of Elysium LP.