Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

I get an offer for another one of the Senator's special commanders. Augurs are not mages per se but get a remote scrying ritual that lets you reveal a tiny chunk of the map in exchange for a few coins. It's theoretically useful but it's honestly kind of a hassle and I usually don't bother. I need my money for more important things anyhow.

What? Augurs are INCREDIBLY good. :psyduck:

You don't use them for their ritual, you use them as a scout that sees out two tiles instead of one. You stick one with your army and you now have both a much larger view area (really useful!) and no longer have to worry about spirits/bandits/horrors/etc. ambushing you (as helpfully illustrated by your Reveler without a scout) or hidden on a location. And again, the larger field of view makes it much easier to find nice targets to attack, as well as avoid that doomstack hidden in the fog of war.

Sure they're generally expensive, and early game you might need the gold for something else, but it's really nice to have a few around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

On the other hand, the full-sized Air Elementals at least are perfectly happy to just sit where they start the battle at and spam their lightning strike. So despite the never heals issue they'll generally last a long, long time assuming you have a front line.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Enchanters actually have another really good frontline option that's even easier to obtain than Clay Golems in the form of Flesh Golems. Which just need corpses (human ones, as opposed to necrotods needing animal corpses) and you can use a second ritual to heavily armor/arm them as well. They'd also be basically ideal vs. you, since they come with Shock Resist (100). Unlike most golems they actually heal naturally too.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Not the worst in terms of power, as they do have a very strong summons in general and an extremely strong endgame (assuming the following doesn't happen), but I'd put Demonologist up there as one of the most unpleasant factions to play. Any of their summons can fail and result in what they're summoning immediately going hostile on you, even at 200% sacrifice level, which means you're heavily playing the RNG game with them in a game where the map can already throw no-win scenarios at you. And early failures at each new ritual level can be devastating.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Pale Ones are amusing because the big, beefy giant that's supposedly your faction leader is basically worthless and good for nothing outside early expansion, while it's the second commander you start with that's actually useful and has your rituals.