Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Hillary sitting on graves named after mods/admins who got removed/killed.

Ugh, but I dont want to like her...

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
twenty years, still sheddin' tears

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

it's probably about time this thread get 9/11'ed no?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Lib and let die posted:

it's probably about time this thread get 9/11'ed no?

why?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

It is evil and decadent

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Chillgamesh posted:

Sad to think I have to wait a whole year for the next 9/11. I wish it could be 9/11 every day

Right now it's every 2 days.

We also haven't had a big mass shooting in like a month. That was like 5 crises ago. We're due for another, especially since school is back.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/dogboner/status/1436819093794050055

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

this was gonna be a setup to a controlled demolition joke, but i forgot the punchline.

pretend i said something witty about controlled demolition here, i guess.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/carolaverygrant/status/1436790396487565313

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

*Kramer puts a turban on Jerry's head* You're a hijacker now.

But I don't wanna be a hijacker!!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Lib and let die posted:

this was gonna be a setup to a controlled demolition joke, but i forgot the punchline.

pretend i said something witty about controlled demolition here, i guess.

drat. now I wanna hear the joke.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
SEPTEMBER OF GEORGE!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The Seinfeld script is very funny.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Stevie Lee posted:

twenty years, still sheddin' tears

I know all the boomer at work did their standard "Remember 9/11!"

Why are boomers so obsessed with a event 20 years after it happened or the whole cheesy "America Came Together"?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Imagine Hillary Clinton sitting on a Vilerat's face forever.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

quote:

NEWSWEEK: Why are you speaking out on Iraq? Do you want to mediate, as you tried to on the Mideast a couple of years ago? It seems you are reentering the fray now.

NELSON MANDELA: If I am asked, by credible organizations, to mediate, I will consider that very seriously. But a situation of this nature does not need an individual, it needs an organization like the United Nations to mediate.

We must understand the seriousness of this situation. The United States has made serious mistakes in the conduct of its foreign affairs, which have had unfortunate repercussions long after the decisions were taken. Unqualified support of the Shah of Iran led directly to the Islamic revolution of 1979.

Then the United States chose to arm and finance the [Islamic] mujahedin in Afghanistan instead of supporting and encouraging the moderate wing of the government of Afghanistan. That is what led to the Taliban in Afghanistan.

But the most catastrophic action of the United States was to sabotage the decision that was painstakingly stitched together by the United Nations regarding the withdrawal of the Soviet Union from Afghanistan. If you look at those matters, you will come to the conclusion that the attitude of the United States of America is a threat to world peace. Because what [America] is saying is that if you are afraid of a veto in the Security Council, you can go outside and take action and violate the sovereignty of other countries. That is the message they are sending to the world. That must be condemned in the strongest terms. And you will notice that France, Germany Russia, China are against this decision. It is clearly a decision that is motivated by George W. Bush’s desire to please the arms and oil industries in the United States of America. If you look at those factors, you’ll see that an individual like myself, a man who has lost power and influence, can never be a suitable mediator.

NEWSWEEK: Do you think that the Bush administration’s U.N. diplomatic effort now is genuine, or is the President just looking for political cover by speaking to the U.N. even as he remains intent on forging ahead unilaterally?

NELSON MANDELA: Well, there is no doubt that the United States now feels that they are the only superpower in the world and they can do what they like. And of course we must consider the men and the women around the president. Gen. Colin Powell commanded the United States army in peacetime and in wartime during the Gulf war. He knows the disastrous effect of international tension and war, when innocent people are going to die, young men are going to die. He knows and he showed this after September 11 last year. He went around briefing the allies of the United States of America and asking for their support for the war in Afghanistan. But people like Dick Cheney’s I see yesterday there was an article that said he is the real president of the United States of America, I don’t know how true that is. Dick Cheney, [Defense secretary Donald] Rumsfeld, they are people who are unfortunately misleading the president. Because my impression of the president is that this is a man with whom you can do business. But it is the men who around him who are dinosaurs, who do not want him to belong to the modern age. The only man, the only person who wants to help Bush move to the modern era is Gen. Colin Powell, the secretary of State.

NEWSWEEK: I gather you are particularly concerned about Vice President Cheney?

NELSON MANDELA: Well, there is no doubt. He opposed the decision to release me from prison (laughs). The majority of the U.S. Congress was in favor of my release, and he opposed it. But it’s not because of that. Quite clearly we are dealing with an arch-conservative in Dick Cheney.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Thanks for posting that Newsweek piece. I'd never seen it before. Mandela loving nails it.

E: except for the Powell poo poo, I guess.

AARP LARPer has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Sep 14, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there is also no doing business with bush and he was no less enthusiastic about doing war crimes than the psychopaths that he surrounded himself with.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
yeah, gently caress, busted. i retract my statement

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can't really blame him for not wanting to believe that the entire leadership class of the most powerful nation in the world is comprised of bloodthirsty psychos. poo poo, i'd like to not believe that too.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Most of the 9/11 media articles "never forget" are about justifying the follow-up response to invade Iraq and Afghanistan.

etalian has issued a correction as of 16:59 on Sep 14, 2021

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
all these people say they voted for trump to end obama’s endless wars lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

How many wars did he start

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

Libya, Syria, yemen, probably a few more if you include special forces stuff.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Also he could've ended iraq and afghanistan on day one if he wanted so i think he can be blamed for those as well, and also pakistan and somalia

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I think giving any potus for starting one of the CIA's proxy ops is probably giving them too much credit imo

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

I think giving any potus for starting one of the CIA's proxy ops is probably giving them too much credit imo

I agree that the government is fake but if an actual human being had quantum leapt into obama at a few critical junctures all of those wars could have been avoided or ended, so he is at fault for them, ipso fatso

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

TenementFunster posted:

Ending Obama's endless wars, the average trump voter's #1 issue.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Bronze Fonz posted:

Ending Obama's endless wars, the average trump voter's #1 issue.

i mean if it was trump v obama today, i would probably vote for the one that showed they were too inept to start an actual loving war

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Lib and let die posted:

lol the “hypothetical” ask here is classic D&D

anyway, republicans were for the wars before they were against them! every single one! lol!

Hatebag posted:

Libya, Syria, yemen, probably a few more if you include special forces stuff.
don’t forget the ovet act of war against iran!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

That dog is the demolitionist that brought down the towers

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I wonder how long the US will continue to have 9/11 remembrance days?

All the boomers like my parents seem so fixated and "The time US Came together as nation" to rubber stamp new military adventures.

This was my fav story how BTS fan flooded the Dallas PD "snitch app" with songs from the band

quote:

The BTS “army” also fundraised in support of the Black Lives Matter movement, and helped block a police campaign that was gathering data on protesters by flooding the police website with images and videos of celebrities.

etalian has issued a correction as of 18:05 on Sep 16, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

etalian posted:

I wonder how long the US will continue to have 9/11 remembrance days?

All the boomers like my parents seem so fixated and "The time US Came together as nation" to rubber stamp new military adventures.

Forever. They ran a piece on the local news that was basically :qq: "why don't high school kids remember 9/11" :qq:

It'll just become ingrained in US culture that we have to stop and remember that a bad thing happened that day 70 years ago.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Iron Crowned posted:

Forever. They ran a piece on the local news that was basically :qq: "why don't high school kids remember 9/11" :qq:

It'll just become ingrained in US culture that we have to stop and remember that a bad thing happened that day 70 years ago.

did they consider that anyone in high school would not have been born before 9/11 and thus would not have memories of it?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

spacemang_spliff posted:

did they consider that anyone in high school would not have been born before 9/11 and thus would not have memories of it?

No, after the qq'ing, it moved to how teachers should teach 9/11 better so that they can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It was apparently a really slow news week, because one of the other local channels ran a piece about someone who flew out of New York on 9/11, like 3 entire hours before the first plane hit the tower. The piece ended with a "haunting" photo that she took on her trip of the twin towers, and it was just like a regular rear end snapshot where they're waaaaaaay off in the distance. Like there are probably millions of photos of the World Trade Center that look exactly like it.