Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Charlie the Yule Dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytPup1cb_c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Allegedly, new Midnight Suns info:

https://twitter.com/NilsAhrDE/status/1532510438532993024

Including not yet announced characters Spider-Man and Scarlet Witch.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i wish it was like, kaine scarlet spider or something but i mean they are gonna do what sells and spider-man sells

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Also it's talking about 4 DLC packs, each including a playable hero.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Shame they're wasting time on this dumb idea of a game instead of the teased XCOM 3 Terror from the Deeps.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Captain Oblivious posted:

Shame they're wasting time on this dumb idea of a game instead of the teased XCOM 3 Terror from the Deeps.

Imagine wanting to make something other than iterations on the same game series until the end of time.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

New trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZTsTXO3Nk

Also new release date, October 7th, and Spiderman confirmed as a playable character. Hulk was in the trailer as well, but seemingly as a villain, along with venom. Also if you like a tweet you get a skin or something.

https://twitter.com/midnightsuns/status/1534996383182250008

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Chairchucker posted:

Imagine wanting to make something other than iterations on the same game series until the end of time.

yeah it's extremely unreasonable for fans to want a sequel to a wildly successful and popular game series

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Marvel XCOM is fine with me but why'd they poo poo it up with deck building RNG crap? I assume to sell lots of microtransactions?

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Marvel XCOM is fine with me but why'd they poo poo it up with deck building RNG crap? I assume to sell lots of microtransactions?

I think they said no mtx for cards but yeah, I was turbo stoked till I saw it was a deck builder. Happy for those that like it though. I hope X-com 3 is sooner rather than later.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I dunno I'm looking forward to some derivations of the standard formula and see what they come up with. I have a lot of faith in this team

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I don't understand the whole anti card mechanics stuff people keep saying lately with games. Like sure disliking deck building is fine but like the whole anti rng stance is bizzare to me, like randomness is core to a lot of games. Its baked into xcom.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope this game has a demo, the combat system is hard to judge without trying yourself

Also I wish they hadn't shoehorned the Avengers in there so they could have more obscure Marvel characters. There's one unannounced who I assume is Moon Knight but Elsa Bloodstone, Werewolf by Night, Dr. Voodoo, Morbius, Hellstrom, ect. would've been nice. I guess Spidey, Wolverine, and one Avenger are fine considering who the villains are(speaking of which it seems like you probably recruit Scarlet Witch after beating her but I wonder if Venom, Hulk, and Sabertooth will be DLC).

EDIT: Oh they got Yuri Lowenthall for Spidey, cool

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 10, 2022

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

sweetroy posted:

yeah it's extremely unreasonable for fans to want a sequel to a wildly successful and popular game series

And they'll probably get it, but they can't reasonably expect Firaxis to never make anything else.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

This feels a little misguided. As far as I'm aware, it's never been intended to be 'XCOM but Marvel', the deckbuilding mechanics has always been the entire point. I think it's more that games outlets/fans etc saw that the guy known for XCOM was doing a turnbased Marvel thing, and started referring to it as Marvel XCOM.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 10, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

RatHat posted:

I hope this game has a demo, the combat system is hard to judge without trying yourself

Also I wish they hadn't shoehorned the Avengers in there so they could have more obscure Marvel characters. There's one unannounced who I assume is Moon Knight but Elsa Bloodstone, Werewolf by Night, Dr. Voodoo, Morbius, Hellstrom, ect. would've been nice. I guess Spidey, Wolverine, and one Avenger are fine considering who the villains are(speaking of which it seems like you probably recruit Scarlet Witch after beating her but I wonder if Venom, Hulk, and Sabertooth will be DLC).

EDIT: Oh they got Yuri Lowenthall for Spidey, cool

Someone said earlier there are going to be dlc characters, so hopefully some of those cover those listed. Like I feel like Morbius is a decent bet for that for sure. I think you are on the money for moon knight being the last unannounced if Hulk really is only just in a villian role

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Someone said earlier there are going to be dlc characters, so hopefully some of those cover those listed. Like I feel like Morbius is a decent bet for that for sure. I think you are on the money for moon knight being the last unannounced if Hulk really is only just in a villian role

Could also be the opposite, I just assume they wouldn't leave Moon Knight out of a Midnight Suns/Sons game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Snooze Cruise posted:

I don't understand the whole anti card mechanics stuff people keep saying lately with games. Like sure disliking deck building is fine but like the whole anti rng stance is bizzare to me, like randomness is core to a lot of games. Its baked into xcom.

Not all randomness is created equal in a design sense. In XCOM there is randomness yes but every thing about that game is based on knowing what your available actions are how they can be deployed and as such mitigating risk/randomness as much as humanly possible. Mitigation of risk based on known actions. Random actions is a whole other kettle of fish. Not necessarily bad, but not analogous to how XCOM uses randomness either.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Not all randomness is created equal in a design sense. In XCOM there is randomness yes but every thing about that game is based on knowing what your available actions are how they can be deployed and as such mitigating risk/randomness as much as humanly possible. Mitigation of risk based on known actions. Random actions is a whole other kettle of fish. Not necessarily bad, but not analogous to how XCOM uses randomness either.

Yes, but in this context what was said was just "rng crap"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think the salient point is that deckbuilding games are about reducing the mitigating randomness and remaining effective. Like if you get a hand full of poo poo you can't use 90% of the time that's less on RNG and more on you

There also seems to be a redraw mechanic.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

I just want to use this as an opportunity to get off my chest how the Xcom memes about “I’m right next to the guy and I have a 45% chance to hit!” are always by someone trying to use an assault rifle at point blank range. Guns have effective ranges! Aiming a rifle at that range IRL is extremely difficult!

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
What I’m worried about is that there don’t seem to be many different cards for each character. But maybe there are lots for your own character.

Also the battle maps seem kinda flat and too open.

I’m sure the end result will be decent, and I can understand them trying to mix up the formula a bit, but I’m not sold yet.

I’ve really enjoyed the 40K Xcom-likes so I’d just love more Xcoms. A Transformers Xcom would be sick.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Red Rox posted:

I’ve really enjoyed the 40K Xcom-likes so I’d just love more Xcoms. A Transformers Xcom would be sick.

That’s just battletech.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

New interview with Jake Solomon

https://www.gamerbraves.com/the-sweet-black-and-gold-suits-are-unlocked-with-max-friendship-says-marvels-midnight-suns-creative-director/

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Please let us meme morbious dlc into existence

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DrManiac posted:

Please let us meme morbious dlc into existence

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
this looks like Gloomhaven but without the double card mechanic

I wonder if the character specific abilities make up for the unbound RNG

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I must admit I still wish this was Marvel Chimera Squad. I want more XCOMlikes where instead of classes each teammate is basically a superhero with a wildly different powerset.

That said, I'll give this a honest try. Jake Solomon is a good dude and a good dev.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I wonder if the character specific abilities make up for the unbound RNG

Obvs haven't played this one specifically, but for most deckbuilders, which I think this is aiming in part to be, being able to curate your deck means that you have an increasing amount of control over how much RNG there is.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
Drawing from a deck of cards is also input RNG, not output RNG. There are no misses or failed abilities or cover or whatever so the only variance is what you have access to that turn.

If you had no misses and access to your full set of abilities why wouldn’t you just use firepunch +20 every single round forever. Sounds exciting.

With a variable set of always successful abilities you should get neat combo opportunities that might use a particular character sub-optimally compared to their super move but if that’s literally not in the cards, this is a neat alternative.

Anyway I’m going to, for now, trust the comic book nerds who have been building some of my favourite strategy games for years over a brief 10 second bout of surface thinking about some mechanics.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Game delayed.
https://twitter.com/midnightsuns/status/1556747093141663744

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ouch, that's two now. I'm not in any particular hurry, but even if delay isn't really a red flag indicating troubled development, two delays feels like yellow flag territory at least. I don't know that I was planning on buying at launch anyway, but I'd definitely keep an eye out for launch issues before jumping in at this point even if you were.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Several larger games have gotten delayed twice this year, I would venture a lot of it is due to post-covid struggles and possibly maybe (hopefully?) trying to avoid crunch.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
this is going to crash and burn so badly lmfao

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
This game just looks boring. Why didn't they make a full on card battle game like yugioh? I would have loved a single player marvel card game.

but yeah this game looks like open rear end

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Orc Priest posted:

This game just looks boring. Why didn't they make a full on card battle game like yugioh? I would have loved a single player marvel card game.

Marvel characters in an XCOM setting never made a lick of sense in the first place and a card system for poo poo made even less sense. Squad based superhero games should be something like Xmen Legends or Freedom Force, don't make Wolverine take cover and overwatch lol. On top of that the game's giving all the characters ugly as poo poo "futuristic" outfits to the point where it hardly resembles a Marvel comic.

"Easily the biggest game we've ever made" sounds like an albatross of a statement quite frankly

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

DLC Inc posted:

Marvel characters in an XCOM setting never made a lick of sense in the first place and a card system for poo poo made even less sense. Squad based superhero games should be something like Xmen Legends or Freedom Force, don't make Wolverine take cover and overwatch lol. On top of that the game's giving all the characters ugly as poo poo "futuristic" outfits to the point where it hardly resembles a Marvel comic.

"Easily the biggest game we've ever made" sounds like an albatross of a statement quite frankly

Yeah. Such a missed opportunity. When I first heard about this game's existence a freedom force-esque game is exactly what I was hoping it would be.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Several larger games have gotten delayed twice this year, I would venture a lot of it is due to post-covid struggles and possibly maybe (hopefully?) trying to avoid crunch.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think Covid's taking the blame for other poo poo at this point because it's a convenient scapegoat. Like yeah of course it affected development last year and 2020, but by the time they set the second release date it feels like things have been pretty normal for most of us?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Orc Priest posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5sD0Qq634M

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Aw man how the hell did I never hear about this. I spent hundreds of hours on my DS back in the day. I would have loved this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wonder how that runs under emu on Steam Deck.