Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I mean the issue is they bolted a 9/10 card game to a 6/10 bad marvel themed friendship sim. The character models, dialogue and voice acting for many characters is not that good. Off-brand avengers didn’t work in their game and doesn’t work here.

I enjoy the Spider-Man voice actor in the spider-man games but the voice direction and cutscenes are bad.

That card game is pretty good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tom Tucker posted:

Some heroes for me didn’t click until I tried something new. Spider Man was one. Then I built some of his environmental cards and his ultimate and then he turns into a one-turn killing machine using every single environmental hazard on the map to ko half the enemies.

Same with Scarlet Witch. Once I dropped her early aura cards and the chain-growing attack and focused on her quick throw (best quick in the game) and exploding barrels she became awesome.

Yeah, it's honestly all about your deck. I didn't get Ghost Rider until I basically tossed out most of his starters and then he was a machine (of vengeance).

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I liked the goofy Marvel Is Friendship nonsense.

More strategy games should attempt to tell decent stories.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skippy McPants posted:

I liked the goofy Marvel Is Friendship nonsense.

More strategy games should attempt to tell decent stories.

Right? I was more invested in Magik's birthday party than a lot of AAA gaming narratives.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Right? I was more invested in Magik's birthday party than a lot of AAA gaming narratives.

I think having the avengers bring the whole game down as they don’t really have chemistry with the midnight suns, which is a plot point but it just doesn’t really work. I think the game would have been stronger with a weirder team and less avengers.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Some of it is hit-or-miss, but there are also some genuinely fun and touching character moments. It has more in common with a good Fire Emblem game than an X-Com game.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
The book club was the worst part of the game but also was hilarious in the whole weird cringey experience.

A lot of the actual drama feels a bit forced but overall none of it is like atrociously bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The book club owns though? I feel like the #1 complaint boils down to "I never actually read a Marvel comic (or especially an X-Men comic) and don't get that cheesy soap opera is a selling point, not a flaw.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It more or less just felt like a Claremont X-Men book to me

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I loved all the clubs. That part of the game felt like a trial run for a Bully-style sequel set in Xavier's Institute.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Some of it is hit-or-miss, but there are also some genuinely fun and touching character moments. It has more in common with a good Fire Emblem game than an X-Com game.

It’s probably a hot take but three houses is better than this game pretty much top to bottom.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The book club made me laugh harder than pretty much any Marvel movie

Cap: I don't know how to say this but I think Blade only started this club to impress me

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lord Packinham posted:

It’s probably a hot take but three houses is better than this game pretty much top to bottom.

I disagree and liked them about the same, but this is a fair take.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Skippy McPants posted:

I loved all the clubs. That part of the game felt like a trial run for a Bully-style sequel set in Xavier's Institute.

Absolutely give me Hogwarts Legacy but X-Men with some extra Bully thrown in.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
One of my favorite things is big dumb superhero crossovers and my favorite part of that is social interactions among characters that you normally don't see together. So this game was pretty much made for me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord Packinham posted:

I think having the avengers bring the whole game down as they don’t really have chemistry with the midnight suns, which is a plot point but it just doesn’t really work. I think the game would have been stronger with a weirder team and less avengers.

I don't disagree, exactly, but some of my favorite stuff is Blade's crush on Carol and some of Tony and Stephen's interactions. I'm sure Jake probably wanted, I dunno, Satana and Jennifer Kale but was probably told 'no, Wolverine.'

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I don't think so. Solomon said there would be no mtx in the game over a year before it came out.

It actually launched with an MTX currency you could buy, it could be used to buy the alternate costumes that came with the special edition dlc. It was relatively innocent, as far as it went, but it didn’t help people’s impressions of the game.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Can only speak for myself but the game was massively overpriced, it should have been 40 for the base and 20 for the expansion pack. I wasn't going to spend 100 bucks on the game.

It was also poisoned by the dumb Australian guy flipping out about the relationship side.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It was also poisoned by the dumb Australian guy flipping out about the relationship side.

What? Is he the one who started that bit about how Captain Marvel's short hair was an affront to femininity?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've only clicked through SkillUp's video a little bit, but he hated the comicbook dialogue and the whole friendship simulator side in its entirety. I doubt he complained about wokes ruining femininity, he's not really an anti-woke clickbait Youtuber.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ImpAtom posted:

The book club owns though? I feel like the #1 complaint boils down to "I never actually read a Marvel comic (or especially an X-Men comic) and don't get that cheesy soap opera is a selling point, not a flaw.

This is an incredibly weird post in a discussion about why the game failed. If lots of people see it as a flaw and don't like the game as a result, then they don't like the game, regardless of your personal opinion on the cheeseball stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jabor posted:

This is an incredibly weird post in a discussion about why the game failed. If lots of people see it as a flaw and don't like the game as a result, then they don't like the game, regardless of your personal opinion on the cheeseball stuff.

I think trying to point to it as a flaw in the game is like complaining about why a Batman game focuses on him not killing someone instead of pulling out an AK-47 and mowing down groups of people. It isn't a flaw for the game to do exactly what it is trying to do.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ImpAtom posted:

I think trying to point to it as a flaw in the game is like complaining about why a Batman game focuses on him not killing someone instead of pulling out an AK-47 and mowing down groups of people. It isn't a flaw for the game to do exactly what it is trying to do.

Are you suggesting that instead the bad decision was investing so much money in a game with an inherently limited audience (people that like that cheesy soap vibe)?

Or are you trying to say that no, it's the consumers that are wrong for not liking it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jabor posted:

Are you suggesting that instead the bad decision was investing so much money in a game with an inherently limited audience (people that like that cheesy soap vibe)?

Or are you trying to say that no, it's the consumers that are wrong for not liking it?

I don't particularly think it is a bad choice to make a comic book game appeal to comic book audiences, no. I think it hit a weird spot in terms of marvel burnout and bad advertising, more than the inherent concept being bad.

If you're an XCOM fan who is pissed it isn't XCOM 3 then I do think that you, the consumer, are in the wrong for having expectations the game did not set.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I got the game on sale I forget who said Midnight Suns was good but after I got past the initial "wut" phase of the tutorial twice and started getting more cards I had this moment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBIsZlV1jHk. The friendship stuff needed more work but I honestly laughed at the contrast with BG3 when my male hunter just looks towards the camera and says "I don't have time for romance". Material grind was pretty tedious if I wasn't already doing the typical survival game thing of being stoned with a podcast in background while sprinting through the woods. But then you do ask "wait why am I doing this?"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Black Noise posted:

I got the game on sale I forget who said Midnight Suns was good but after I got past the initial "wut" phase of the tutorial twice and started getting more cards I had this moment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBIsZlV1jHk. The friendship stuff needed more work but I honestly laughed at the contrast with BG3 when my male hunter just looks towards the camera and says "I don't have time for romance". Material grind was pretty tedious if I wasn't already doing the typical survival game thing of being stoned with a podcast in background while sprinting through the woods. But then you do ask "wait why am I doing this?"

Just install some mods tbh. The game's whole economy is hosed.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I've got mods, saw the mod list. But sometimes there is this death bloom I can see over near Lilith's Garden and the game won't let me pick it. :argh:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gerblyn posted:

It actually launched with an MTX currency you could buy, it could be used to buy the alternate costumes that came with the special edition dlc. It was relatively innocent, as far as it went, but it didn’t help people’s impressions of the game.

Yeah, he did say that you could buy these but I actually forgot about the weird in game currency. That is suspect.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Lord Packinham posted:

The whole point is that the Avengers vs Suns dynamic offers another opportunity to define your Hunter by either picking sides or refusing to do so. That makes the game better than just "you pick all Dark or all Light and that defines all your choices." Some of these choices don't make much difference, but enough of them lead to different dialogue later that it generates some replay value to that side of the game.

The original X clip is of someone arguing that the people who were negative about Midnight Suns without having played the game killed a potential franchise that could have gotten us great gameplay and stories more engaging than a lot of the current TV/Movie content.

I was there on release day and remember the initial reviews were very negative, largely for things that had nothing to do with the game. I'm not resident in the places where 4channers or the like would decide to actively trash something they don't like as a collective; I don't follow Twitch or the review-o-sphere enough to know whether the Twitch streamer's complaint is valid about the game getting knifed by people and then piled on by folks who hadn't played but for whatever reason wanted to amplify the main complaints. From what I saw, the "in-game currency" wasn't the major knock against the game. Initially it was complaints about a DRM bait-and-switch, "make X-Com you f*kkers," and general hatred toward card-resolution combat and the talky bits of the game. As people played, other specific complaints came out, some totally legit (UI for cards, the resource-gathering game, not enough mission/enemy varieties) and others a matter of personal preference (talking boring/unrealistic/too snarky, X character is too weak).

I will say that comparing the rhetoric about matters of personal preference in discussions about this game, compared to many of the kinds of games I play (strategy/4X/RPG, mainly), it feels like sentiments are stronger/more exaggerated and there's a much higher incidence of "this game is objectively bad because my personal preference about X is simply factual" than many other games. I don't know if that's because it's a strategy game that's leaning in the AAA direction (Xcom versus, I dunno, Wildermyth), or because comic fans are involved, or because of something else. The choice to pivot toward a larger audience means pissing off the core gamers because of compromises made in the design but also invites that larger audience to hate on the game instead of being oblivious.

My guess: the game released (and it was at too high a price point), it got at least something of a review bombing at release, negative sentiment built up, and that kept people from purchasing. Then the stink of "massive bomb" got associated with the game and people figured that it bombed because it was a bad game and didn't buy it. Once the price dropped to between "deep sale" and "free" and enough time had passed for the initial stink to fade, more people started playing and discovered it's a fun game. But it's almost certainly too late for that to matter.

Those of us who loved the game won't get a sequel, not because of specific problems with the game (there are some) but because gamers formed a false impression of how bad it was. Now that some of them are trying the game and discovering they enjoy it, too late to lead to a sequel, it's understandable that some early purchasers/enjoyers are angry about that.

Not justified, exactly, but understandable.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I really don't understand the "WRITING IS BAD" poo poo, at all. For general video game writing, it's good. For marvel writing, it's above and beyond. The writing in this game is good, even the little non-voiced easter egg e-mail poo poo has fun writing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, never played Avengers but I beat Guardians and played a lot of Midnight Suns and I'd say the writing on both was top notch, and I've definitely played triple A titles with much worse writing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I liked the writing overall. Guardians was top notch, like playing a fun comic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, never played Avengers but I beat Guardians and played a lot of Midnight Suns and I'd say the writing on both was top notch, and I've definitely played triple A titles with much worse writing.

Avengers genuinely had a fun main campaign mode, even if the everything around it sucked.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Gerblyn posted:

This really, really put me off buying it at launch. The PSN store was absolutely littered with the Midnight Suns currency (I forget what it is called) so I figured it would be an absolutely horrible GaaS/P2W piece of poo poo. By the time I found out that it wasn't, the super deluxe version was on a deep discount, so I picked it up and absolutely loved it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Avengers genuinely had a fun main campaign mode, even if the everything around it sucked.

Not to get too much into weeds but I feel like most people were expecting 'Spider-Man but Avengers' when it came to the type of game and welp.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Megazver posted:

They're popular videogames with cards. The ones I've played are pretty good!

Gloomhaven is not a card game the way Midnight Suns is a card game, which isn't the way Fights in Tight Places or Slay the Spire are card games.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Quote-Unquote posted:

This really, really put me off buying it at launch. The PSN store was absolutely littered with the Midnight Suns currency (I forget what it is called) so I figured it would be an absolutely horrible GaaS/P2W piece of poo poo. By the time I found out that it wasn't, the super deluxe version was on a deep discount, so I picked it up and absolutely loved it.

This is the general story of this thread lol.

I remember at the time being like why the gently caress are they doing this, but DMCV sold red probs and poo poo so it's just publisher gonna gently caress around for no reason.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I bought the game but all the social stuff and the quips absolutely turned me off the game. I am not a big marvel fan and I have grown to really dislike that kind of dialogue. I loving hate Iron Man. In addition the collection stuff where you were supposed to run around the grounds multiple times to pick it up was not my thing at all. I learned later that it is probably not necessary to play the game but at that point I had already given up on it. Just not my thing. I have tried to get into it again but I can't.

Just putting it here as a counterpoint to that everyone who tried it loved it idea I am seeing here.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 24, 2024

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

WarEternal posted:

Yeah, I really don't understand the "WRITING IS BAD" poo poo, at all. For general video game writing, it's good. For marvel writing, it's above and beyond. The writing in this game is good, even the little non-voiced easter egg e-mail poo poo has fun writing.

the writing (and moreso, the VA) is good for what it is. i fuckin loved mercer's deadpan gay evil hunter delivery and lines, and as someone that generally doesn't like marvel stuff, it was amusing enough for what it was to me

the real weak point of the game itself was that the firaxis team wasn't really able to adapt their expertise to making (parts of) the game they tried to make. they were probably on point that FE3H was some gangbusters soldier and soldier relationship management stuff and that replicating it made sense for their market (gettin attached to your soldiers and their stories/interpersonal relationships is definitely part of XCOM), but they dropped the ball on the implementation

idk why but they weren't able to make the "explore academy grounds" and "develop character relationships" fun the way FE3H was (AFAIK--i didn't actually play FE3H, but it was clearly well-received and the influence is clearly there). that kinda makes sense, since the otome game aspects is definitely not something Firaxis traditionally knows how to make, and while they tried, and they kinda didn't succeed. the tactical bits are still on point, but the new social stuff they tried to add kinda wasn't

the subject matter very much was a gamble on "maybe we can get marvel fans into tacgames!", where unfortunately jake made something that he hardcore into looking at the general IP market like

but alas, pop culture trends are fickle and the release schedule put it out as the fair weather marvel fanbase was flagging; not prime time to channel that fandom into enthusiasm for an unfamiliar style of game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Given Jake Solomon had headed a great revival - in terms of both quality of creation and general interest - in XCOM, and Guardians of the Galaxy had seen a similar revival in interest thanks to their movies, letting him pick a "weird" C-string team to try to do the same thing probably didn't seem like that bad an idea at the time. There are plenty of reasons it didn't go well in the end, sure. But picking a weird team could've gone amazingly well if factors like the timing had worked out better.