Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

jesus, all those pepes in the chat, gmaers are scum i hate them

Jabor posted:

This is an incredibly weird post in a discussion about why the game failed. If lots of people see it as a flaw and don't like the game as a result, then they don't like the game, regardless of your personal opinion on the cheeseball stuff.

Have you considered these people are dumb and wrong? Marvel hosed up by not going further with the friendship mechanics and having an actual dating sim in there. Half the love for BG3 is because of the relationship stuff.

I think a real turn off of this game is that you have to play for a literal hour (if you're not skipping cut scenes) before the game allows you to start choosing your own team. I'm a marvel nerd so that didn't bother me on my first run, but on the second, it really stood out.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

disposablewords posted:

Given Jake Solomon had headed a great revival - in terms of both quality of creation and general interest - in XCOM, and Guardians of the Galaxy had seen a similar revival in interest thanks to their movies, letting him pick a "weird" C-string team to try to do the same thing probably didn't seem like that bad an idea at the time. There are plenty of reasons it didn't go well in the end, sure. But picking a weird team could've gone amazingly well if factors like the timing had worked out better.

Unfortunately Guardians of course didn't do well either despite being very fun to play overall and probably had the best narrative of a game that year. I think folks were put off by how Avengers was a GAAS deal or maybe they just couldn't carry a title? Shame either way.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lammasu posted:

One of my favorite things is big dumb superhero crossovers and my favorite part of that is social interactions among characters that you normally don't see together. So this game was pretty much made for me.

That is me as well. Why I always preferred Marvel over DC. If Superman has a magic problem, he doesn't call Zatana or Dr Fate, he figures it out on his own. But if Iron Man has a magic problem, he'll visit Dr Strange because he's magic!

When trying to recomend this game to people last year, i found a of people seemed to think this had p2w or GAAS aspects, as they heard card and assumed you'd have to pay real money to get the best cards and they'd constantly be changing what the best cards were so you'd need to spend more money. It was very confusing but then i realized that all those mobile card games work, and also the whole shitstorm around Avengers probably poisoned people into thinking all marvel games were poo poo tier money grabs not worth your time.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The writing frontloaded a lot of the same type of voices, everyone talks like they tony stark, while the side content had better characterization when you start the game it's a bit unbearable.
I just wish spidey gameplan were better tuned and we gotten more costumes, oh and screw the crafting pickups, thankfully u can mod that out now.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Soonmot posted:

Have you considered these people are dumb and wrong? Marvel hosed up by not going further with the friendship mechanics and having an actual dating sim in there. Half the love for BG3 is because of the relationship stuff.

Ah, yes, everyone who didn't like what this game did is dumb and wrong. Only the true sophisticate can get the beautiful characterization of.. marvel superheroes.

But yeah, card games aren't bad at all, but this one isn't all that interesting. I mean i've been really enjoying Hexarchy, a card-based 4x game but that game has a ton of active deck management in-game, which is i think key to make an interesting card based strategy game.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Hryme posted:

I bought the game but all the social stuff and the quips absolutely turned me off the game. I am not a big marvel fan and I have grown to really dislike that kind of dialogue. I loving hate Iron Man. In addition the collection stuff where you were supposed to run around the grounds multiple times to pick it up was not my thing at all. I learned later that it is probably not necessary to play the game but at that point I had already given up on it. Just not my thing. I have tried to get into it again but I can't.

Just putting it here as a counterpoint to that everyone who tried it loved it idea I am seeing here.

Except that the game explicitly wants you to dislike Tony for all the dismissive snark: he has a least two separate but related story developments meant to humble him and allow him to grow. And in theory, that’s the satisfying bit of the character interactions, past the friendship mechanics, because Hunter gets to shape and guide the people around them over the course of the game.

This is obvious in almost every set of interactions. Characters start at point X and go somewhere else. If you skip conversations entirely I don’t know whether the game suppressed the end-points or not, but even someone like Captain Marvel changes discernably from start to finish.

If you don’t find the characters engaging and don’t care about their stories, you’d hate that part of the game. But I think it’s handled pretty well if you are engaged.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Narsham posted:

If you don’t find the characters engaging and don’t care about their stories, you’d hate that part of the game. But I think it’s handled pretty well if you are engaged.

Yes that is the essence of it. I don't care about those characters at all and some of them I actively dislike. Of course I should have realized that before buying the game but at that point I had been auto buying Firaxis stuff for a long time so I didn't really think much about it. Maybe it is well done. I don't know. It didn't engage me at least.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I also was not a huge fan of the writing but as someone who likes Marvel comics but hates what the MCU has done to them, Midnight Suns appealed to me because it was so clearly the passion project of Jake and the team. Like, if you’re making a soulless corporate tie-in, you don’t choose an obscure comics arc from thirty years ago. I don’t like Marvel movies but at least this game was very clearly made by people who do, and who also like the older ages of Marvel properties, and I’ll take that any time even if it’s for a property I’m not personally into.

Also the writing in this is at least better than the MCU, which is constantly starting character arcs and then dropping them or redoing ones it already did, compared to fun drama that actually gets resolutions like Tony being overbearing in shop class or Steve being completely oblivious through all of book club.

I will say it’s the Solomon game with the least amount of replay value. Exploring the Abbey was fun once but I will never do it again. Maybe I’ll install those mods people have mentioned if I really feel like I need more of the strategy gameplay.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Did this game ever get a sort of skirmish mode? I love the combat in it but not so much the Persona of it all.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Also marketing it by having all the heroes have the same color scheme was funny as hell and probably a bad idea.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Honestly, while I'm not too far in yet, only Iron Man really feels like MCU Lite and everyone else has a bit of a whiff of Whedon but not to the point of aping. A lot of the incidental/ambient dialogue is fun.

I like Blade.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I think the level up system was also not great. All the damage/hp numbers on you and the enemies scaling forever was just blaaah and they should have probably used the substats in a more interesting manner as the reward for levels/differentiating characters.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Xalidur posted:

I like Blade.

Michael Jai White would have made an excellent live action Blade imo

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Another bummer is that fresh tactical/strat games that don't slot into some pre-existing market niche appear to be doing really bad. Midnight Suns torpedo'd Solomon, of course, but the developers of Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew also went under despite releasing 3 great games, of which their last one is their best entry yet.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Hey, Jagged Alliance 3 did good.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Hryme posted:

I bought the game but all the social stuff and the quips absolutely turned me off the game. I am not a big marvel fan and I have grown to really dislike that kind of dialogue. I loving hate Iron Man. In addition the collection stuff where you were supposed to run around the grounds multiple times to pick it up was not my thing at all. I learned later that it is probably not necessary to play the game but at that point I had already given up on it. Just not my thing. I have tried to get into it again but I can't.

Just putting it here as a counterpoint to that everyone who tried it loved it idea I am seeing here.

The game is definitely front-loaded with lovely Avengers banter. I grew to like Tony in this when his vulnerability and drive is explored, but they definitely open with "they have lasers now!!!" poo poo banter and you're at least an hour in before it subsides.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Panzeh posted:

Hey, Jagged Alliance 3 did good.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. My theory is: it seems like the market has calcified and if it's not an existing franchise entry it sinks. Glad Jagged Alliance 3 did ok but that fits my theory.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Another bummer is that fresh tactical/strat games that don't slot into some pre-existing market niche appear to be doing really bad. Midnight Suns torpedo'd Solomon, of course, but the developers of Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew also went under despite releasing 3 great games, of which their last one is their best entry yet.

:gonk: I wish listed this

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Sorry, I should have been more clear. My theory is: it seems like the market has calcified and if it's not an existing franchise entry it sinks. Glad Jagged Alliance 3 did ok but that fits my theory.

There's probably something to be said about audience expectations between subject matter and genres. Tactical people have a certain type of things they're good with- cyberpunk, fighting aliens, historical wars, or even high fantasy and it may very well be that superheroes just aren't one of them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Panzeh posted:

There's probably something to be said about audience expectations between subject matter and genres. Tactical people have a certain type of things they're good with- cyberpunk, fighting aliens, historical wars, or even high fantasy and it may very well be that superheroes just aren't one of them.

Freedom Force did well enough to get a sequel, although I do think that there's something to be said about bringing out a Marvel game with AAA sales expectations that spends the first couple hours doing an off-putting "we have the MCU at home" and releasing it at the exact moment that Marvel started to falter.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Midnight Suns torpedo'd Solomon, of course, but the developers of Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew also went under despite releasing 3 great games, of which their last one is their best entry yet.

Blades of the Shogun was one of the buggiest games i played on ps4, it wasnt until shadow gambit came out that i heard people actually like this dev.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

War Tales breaks your theory, fwiw, but frankly tactical combat games generally don’t do well right now. Even succesful ones (war tales, ja3, chaosgate demonhunters) don’t do huge sales, they make a profit but none of them have come close to the mega success of the xcom games.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm playing wartales rn and as much as it's a cute game it's extremely budget and almost every system sucks to interact with in some way. The inventory management in particular is like it was designed by someone that hates you.

I can't wrap my head around the glowing Steam reviews at all. It's a decent budget game.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Xalidur posted:

Honestly, while I'm not too far in yet, only Iron Man really feels like MCU Lite and everyone else has a bit of a whiff of Whedon but not to the point of aping. A lot of the incidental/ambient dialogue is fun.

I like Blade.

I do appreciate that early in the game you can have the Hunter react to the Whedon quips by complaining "Does no one here take ANYTHING seriously?" (though it obviously gives you an approval penalty). And later on Captain Marvel pretty much admits "everyone here has lived through MULTIPLE near apocalypses, the quips are what keeps us sane"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
EGTDX-FLWLC-Q6N3H

Here's a Defender skin for Dr. Strange from the Humble Bundle if anyone wants

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Had anyone tried the fan made balance patch that was recently updated? Among other changes, it pretty massively improved summons, which is a thing posters have complained about in this thread. I don't have enough experience to know if the other changes are good or bad.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I took a look at the patch notes and made a bee line to spiderman, they upped damage modifier on chain strike, added dmg modifier on Web throw and reduced heroism cost.
I like it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Honest Thief posted:

I took a look at the patch notes and made a bee line to spiderman, they upped damage modifier on chain strike, added dmg modifier on Web throw and reduced heroism cost.
I like it

I like that. Spidey can be great if he's on a map with a lot of interactable terrain but if not, not so much.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

I like that. Spidey can be great if he's on a map with a lot of interactable terrain but if not, not so much.

Doesn't work great with Hulk, lol.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

Had anyone tried the fan made balance patch that was recently updated? Among other changes, it pretty massively improved summons, which is a thing posters have complained about in this thread. I don't have enough experience to know if the other changes are good or bad.

A few things, like making Bleed proc at the start of a character's turn, are very cool changes, but a lot of it feels like sliding deck chairs around. They seem especially fond of tacking self-inflicted vulnerable onto damage cards, which is almost entirely pointless past the early game when everything is dying too fast to get off more than one hit.

I do like that they buff Robbie's passive by just removing Soul Drain and changing nothing else.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

Spidey’s environmental attacks really fall off on higher difficulties when all the enemies have a ton of health, since the environmental damage caps out pretty low. Shame, since he’s a kickass character (and my favorite).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Midniter posted:

Spidey’s environmental attacks really fall off on higher difficulties when all the enemies have a ton of health, since the environmental damage caps out pretty low. Shame, since he’s a kickass character (and my favorite).

I only played on Normal like the scrub casual I am but I can certainly see that happening. Shame.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
The only change in the rebalance mod that I outright hate, as opposed to being ambivalent about, is that the adjustment to Magik's Gather has the side effect of also removing its animation.

Since no one sees anything particularly egregious, I'll give it a try.

I really like this game once you mod out some of the more grindy aspects. I appreciate the list of mods that do so posted on a previous page.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
:siren: There is a mod that makes Caretaker shut up during missions :siren:

This might be the most important one for all for me, the constant "make sure you do this now!!!" in missions I've done 10 times already drove me bonkers.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
So replaying this finally to try out the DLC, with as many mods as possible to try and skip the whole abbey exploration thing. Anyone got any tips for Deadpool? I guess I should pair him with someone who can taunt a lot?

Aso, the whole star rating at the end of missions thing is beginning to feel like a bit of a downer. You do a difficult mission, scrape through a win, and instead of congratulating you, the game's like "I noticed that took 7 turns? 1 STAR, LOSER :mad:". It's a minor thing, but then to me this ia great game full of minor things like that.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

So replaying this finally to try out the DLC, with as many mods as possible to try and skip the whole abbey exploration thing. Anyone got any tips for Deadpool? I guess I should pair him with someone who can taunt a lot?

Best you can do is probably,

2x Quick Shot
2x Boom, Headshot
1x All Together Now
1x Mag Dump
1x Pain Piñata (with Mark mod)
1x Burning Sensation

Unfortunately, his card quality is mediocre, and his gimmick, En Fuego, is kind of a Catch-22 because it wants him to bag kills with his bad damage so that he can deal slightly less-bad damage. Meanwhile, Hunter or Tony are wiping out whole maps with zero setup. He and Morbius are two of the least powerful heroes on the cast.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Sounds good! Does the mark mod still effectively make an attack Quick? I tried killing people with a Nico attack that applied marled, and got no card refund.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mark only works for successive actions, so you apply it with one ability, and then it'll refund actions when you KO with another.

It works best on AoE powers like Pain Piñata or Magik's Gather. You Mark and chip damage a bunch of enemies, then clean them up for free with whatever KOs them.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
/r/midnightsuns is a good source of MS builds. (Although, unfortunately, most of the guides were written before all the DLC characters came out, so there's less material for them.)

Here's a good guide for the main characters:

https://old.reddit.com/r/midnightsuns/comments/zuns9o/u3_level_40_decks_and_required_mods_for_every/

Here's another one, which has the Deadpool build I eventually used:

https://www.reddit.com/r/midnightsuns/comments/13ggs3l/midnight_suns_builds_for_everyone/

You'll probably need mods to even get the resources to be able to build these. (The economy in this game sucks.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Oh, I already have a LOT of mods, the plant hunting is annoying enough when I need to do it for story events, I'm not gonna do it for consumables too.

Skippy McPants posted:

Mark only works for successive actions, so you apply it with one ability, and then it'll refund actions when you KO with another.

Yeah, thought so, I just had a vague memeory of it working differently when i played at release.