Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Edit: I'm stupid.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

cant cook creole bream posted:

What are you guys favorite essence abilities and pondmates?

The geodancer ones are just so incredibly pretty, while calling up Date might be the funniest one.

Tomi's and Chitoses personal ones are really funny too.

None of this sounds like it's about Marvel's Midnight Suns, am I getting got here?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Chairchucker posted:

None of this sounds like it's about Marvel's Midnight Suns, am I getting got here?

Ehh. Wrong thread due to phone posting. Nevermind my dumbassery. And of course that's the first post of the page...

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 11, 2024

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Megazver posted:

/r/midnightsuns is a good source of MS builds. (Although, unfortunately, most of the guides were written before all the DLC characters came out, so there's less material for them.)

Here's a good guide for the main characters:

https://old.reddit.com/r/midnightsuns/comments/zuns9o/u3_level_40_decks_and_required_mods_for_every/

Here's another one, which has the Deadpool build I eventually used:

https://www.reddit.com/r/midnightsuns/comments/13ggs3l/midnight_suns_builds_for_everyone/

You'll probably need mods to even get the resources to be able to build these. (The economy in this game sucks.)

For what it's worth, the decklists in both these posts are not great, though the second is better.

Although once you start unlocking mods, you can beat U3 with almost any combination of cards.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Gerblyn posted:

Oh, I already have a LOT of mods, the plant hunting is annoying enough when I need to do it for story events, I'm not gonna do it for consumables too.

Yeah, thought so, I just had a vague memeory of it working differently when i played at release.

There are some cards that can hit the same guy multiple times, like Wanda's chain lightning thing. If the first hit doesn't kill, it'll apply a mark, that can then be triggered if a later hit in the same attack KOs.

It's a pretty uncommon thing and if you do have mark on a chain attack you usually want to spread that around, but iirc it can happen.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Gerblyn posted:

So replaying this finally to try out the DLC, with as many mods as possible to try and skip the whole abbey exploration thing. Anyone got any tips for Deadpool? I guess I should pair him with someone who can taunt a lot?

Aso, the whole star rating at the end of missions thing is beginning to feel like a bit of a downer. You do a difficult mission, scrape through a win, and instead of congratulating you, the game's like "I noticed that took 7 turns? 1 STAR, LOSER :mad:". It's a minor thing, but then to me this ia great game full of minor things like that.

The star rating would be more frustrating if it gave resources that had actual value unlike gloss which you trip over everywhere. The game’s resource economy is in a really weird spot in general, gloss is all but worthless but every other resource is way too scarce without grinding a lot.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
This game with a whole bunch of recommended mods, including a few anti-grind ones, is one of my top gaming experiences in recent memory.

Having a resource crunch wouldn't have made it any better.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's funny that during the design, they removed and retooled a bunch of combat machines from the X-Com style because they didn't feel enough like heroes doing hero poo poo. Stuff like removing cover, cause superheroes don't hunker down, or using the shared action pool so you can pull off heroic character-centric turns.

However, they kept in all the resource grinding. Remember to do your chores before you run off to save the world, Sweetie!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

It's funny that during the design, they removed and retooled a bunch of combat machines from the X-Com style because they didn't feel enough like heroes doing hero poo poo. Stuff like removing cover, cause superheroes don't hunker down, or using the shared action pool so you can pull off heroic character-centric turns.

However, they kept in all the resource grinding. Remember to do your chores before you run off to save the world, Sweetie!

"Heroes have to come up with gadgets or gimmicks to make themselves better" is like a basic superhero concept even for powered superheroes, it's half the reason you have so many weird armored costumes and such.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ImpAtom posted:

"Heroes have to come up with gadgets or gimmicks to make themselves better" is like a basic superhero concept even for powered superheroes, it's half the reason you have so many weird armored costumes and such.

Yup. Even classic Superman built his Superman Robots.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Sure, sure, and stuff like research and unlocking new toys is great, but there's a reason why movies and comics turn the scenes where they make those gadgets into a montage rather than showing you all five hundred hours of work. A little grind is a-okay, but the base game has about 200% too much.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
I imagine it felt onerous if you wanted the perfect set of cards or you'd just unlocked Mods and you wanted to upgrade everything right now, but honestly I didn't mind just pootling around the Abbey now and then when I felt like it, and heading back or going straight to bed when I just wanted to do some missions. The only times I felt kind of gated was when I had to go do an Artifact mission because I was behind on a research tier, but sure I'll just take some B-team dorks out for a run, whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Sure, sure, and stuff like research and unlocking new toys is great, but there's a reason why movies and comics turn the scenes where they make those gadgets into a montage rather than showing you all five hundred hours of work. A little grind is a-okay, but the base game has about 200% too much.

I think the key is that you don't need to grind. Not every card has to be 100% perfect as most of the cards are fuckin' great just with their base.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I found opening up the caches with new cards and weighing which one would be better really satisfying.

Grinding to make new cards I unlocked or to get mods on the cards sucked though.

Getting a new epic ability after a hard battle and trying it out next battle was always super satisfying especially if it opened up a new way to play the character. Like the one that lets Captain America get block on damage. I got that and rolled a +2 heroism on it and he became my favorite hero in a moment.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Not every card has to be 100% perfect.

Ahh, I think I've spotted the core of our disagreement. You don't understand how to play video games properly, you monster!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Also a lot of the grind is about items which are irrelevant because I never used them because what if I might need them later?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tom Tucker posted:

Also a lot of the grind is about items which are irrelevant because I never used them because what if I might need them later?

:emptyquote:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Tom Tucker posted:

The answer, of course, is to use them AND not use them at the same time
(IIRC Doc Strange's skill that re-fills item uses counts as "didn't touch items" if you don't go ahead and re-use the thing)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Kobal2 posted:

The answer, of course, is to use them AND not use them at the same time
(IIRC Doc Strange's skill that re-fills item uses counts as "didn't touch items" if you don't go ahead and re-use the thing)

Yep, I abused that skill hard. It trivializes most battles with Strange in your party. Also, boss battle? Go ahead and use the consumable twice for maximum cheese.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I dunno I might need both of those item uses later in the battle …

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I'm using a mod that gives cheaper items and more resources, and I've started using items every battle because it makes life much easier. The "Give me an attack card with quick" and "Give me another move" are both useful in a clutch!

The epic "Make some random cards free" item is amazing, but I had to stop using it because it felt a bit broken.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

I'm using a mod that gives cheaper items and more resources, and I've started using items every battle because it makes life much easier. The "Give me an attack card with quick" and "Give me another move" are both useful in a clutch!

Yeah, it's why Strange is the best character in the game. Astral Meditation is just too dang powerful. Like, it starts out good, and by the end of the game reads,

Astral Meditation posted:

Give 2 random cards in your hand Free until they are played or discarded. (Zinger Protocol)
Select a hero. They gain 1 Overpowered (+100% Offense) and 2 Vulnerable. (Major Strength Tonic)
+2 Redraws.
Exhaust.
Free.

With him on a team, it doesn't even matter which damage characters you slot. You're screen clearing on the first turn.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/SolomonJake/status/1782959152781828169

Huh. I guess Jake didn't want the Hunter to smooch Magik and was only held back my Marvel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't have a problem with not being able to romance Magik as Hunter, I'd rather see her kiss Nico or Kate Pryde (who isn't in the game), but saying she's asexual seems like they haven't read a lot of comics featuring Magik.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Or too many. Having strong opinions about the sexuality of a fictional character is very on-brand for a dedicated fan.

Still, nice to hear that the lack of romances was a designer choice and not a brand mandate.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't think I've ever encountered the aasexual Magik headcanon in my 20+ years of being submerged in comics fandom bullshit. It's definitely not a remotely textual thing in the comics but a perfectly valid way to take the character in other media.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Air Skwirl posted:

I don't have a problem with not being able to romance Magik as Hunter, I'd rather see her kiss Nico or Kate Pryde (who isn't in the game), but saying she's asexual seems like they haven't read a lot of comics featuring Magik.

Despite people's urge to ship them, I am pretty sure Illyana and Kitty are just good friends.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Magik is not ace in the comics. She's bi or possibly pan.

I didn't get her read as ace in the game either but I can see that looking back. But just about every character besides Blade and Nico seem to be devoid of romantic or sexual interest. Even Carol seems to not pick up on Blade's interest.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/SolomonJake/status/1782959152781828169

Huh. I guess Jake didn't want the Hunter to smooch Magik and was only held back my Marvel.

Deleted or Shitter is broken, what did it say?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I was playing this the same time as Baldurs Gate 3 so it’s pretty funny when the Hunter just says “I have no time for romance” in a conversation with Storm.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Osmosisch posted:

Deleted or Shitter is broken, what did it say?

I don’t remember the exact text but Solomon said that Magik in MS was written as asexual, and while it never came up in the context of the game it informed her characterization.

He also denied rumors about romance options being planned for the game before Marvel disallowed it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

I don’t remember the exact text but Solomon said that Magik in MS was written as asexual, and while it never came up in the context of the game it informed her characterization.

He also denied rumors about romance options being planned for the game before Marvel disallowed it.

Guess he's the one who hecked up there, then.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Codependent Poster posted:

Magik is not ace in the comics. She's bi or possibly pan.

I didn't get her read as ace in the game either but I can see that looking back. But just about every character besides Blade and Nico seem to be devoid of romantic or sexual interest. Even Carol seems to not pick up on Blade's interest.

I was able to properly wingman for Blade so he and Carol went on a date and they both told me to get lost when I tried to third wheel it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

KPC_Mammon posted:

I was able to properly wingman for Blade so he and Carol went on a date and they both told me to get lost when I tried to third wheel it.

I must've missed that one! I only remember Carol being kind of oblivious to Blade's attempts to romance her.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The dlc was finally on sale on the Xbox for less than 20 bucks :woop:

I'm maybe a third of the way through the game. Do I need to restart to see dlc stories and characters show up? what's the deal here.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

You should get the recruitment missions pretty much right away if you're in game. The DLC is available almost right from the start of the game.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You can also talk to Cap at one point and he's like "I don't know how to say this but I think Blade only started this book club to impress me" :v:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

DeathChicken posted:

You can also talk to Cap at one point and he's like "I don't know how to say this but I think Blade only started this book club to impress me" :v:

It's so loving good

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pirate Jet posted:

I read this as only being specifically about a potential Magik romance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
OH MY GOD is the loving new ghost rider's power needines?? can i loving gift him a flaming fedora??
gently caress me on a donkey this is god drat torture. everyone else gets to be a brooding loner and i gotta knock on their door like a mother hen all "cluck cluck tell me about your trauma" loving...they're my god drat coworkers not my friends. xcom2 was as close as i ever wanted to and npc and i just put them in different color uniforms and called them "red sniper" or "blue machete guy". if there is an option later, and please don't spoil it for me, to murder every one i absolutely will

anyway, awesome game, loving 11/10, you can tell this is the game that they really wanted to make. got it recently on sale because when it first came out i was put off by the card element, i hate card games and this will be the first one i 100% and actually sit down to try to understand deck building (UUUGH. loving doing taxes combined with social interaction, game of the god damned decade??). if they did nothing but make dlc for this game i would buy it all but google and youtubes tell me it failed?

now if you'll excuse my i have to take my cousin bowling. my cousin is the new ghost rider and constantly looks and sounds like he's bout to cry.