Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Detail is good but you don't want to get too detailed when writing a novel. Things that are not something the characters or readers should know or should need to know shouldn't be included.

You put that poo poo into the rpg books that come later :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Psion posted:

Scale is one of Feist's biggest issues and it's thankfully not relevant here whatsoever, so yeah. We get all the benefits and none of the downsides, basically.

Also this is an excellent, excellent start: Going off route is fun and lucrative (or can be anyway) and for those of you who eyed that extremely expensive sword in Yabon and thought 'I wonder if anyone was insane enough to grind for that' the answer is yes and giving it to Gorath should probably be classified as a crime. :getin:

It's not just that you can wander around and do stuff - it's that the developers accounted for it and put in dialogue and events and stuff to reward you for wandering off course. You can still completely beat the game and have a full experience just following the 'expected route' though so it's never required or obligated. It's just neat.

I hope those insane grinders found the much cheaper shop for that sword before the grind was over. Full price for a greatsword, smdh.

Anyways, I hear the eastern coast of the kingdom is beautiful this time of year.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Locklear hasn't had a proper vacation in a long time, and Owyn and Gorath could stand to see the sights - never know if a good chance for some tourism is going to pop up again! Indeed, it's Locklear's duty to show off the beauty of the kingdom (and its haunted forests) as a good host, and take the longest possible way around.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

PurpleXVI posted:

With no tagged skills, this is a +5% to Melee Accuracy and Defense for everyone, which is actually a pretty nice boost, especially this early on. Now we can leave LaMut behind and not see it again for, probably, several chapters worth of game.
That should be 7.5% or so with only these two skills tagged.

quote:

Barding XP progresses by some weird method I don't understand, so I just burn all of the charges on Owyn, which puts him at a threadbare 51% barding skill up from his starting 42%.
That also should be a lot higher with just Barding tagged.
Oh, and someone knowledgeable commenting on my guide said that books still have a chance to boost your skills even after you've read them once? Anyway, it's at least once per character, which is different from "one-use".

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Xander77 posted:

That should be 7.5% or so with only these two skills tagged.

That also should be a lot higher with just Barding tagged.

That was with Barding tagged, and, yeah, I know that tagging would improve Sumani's lessons, I just thought I'd write the base rate.

Xander77 posted:

Oh, and someone knowledgeable commenting on my guide said that books still have a chance to boost your skills even after you've read them once? Anyway, it's at least once per character, which is different from "one-use".

I don't quite understand the book thing, it's something like a single-digit percentage chance that a given character can benefit from them more than once to my understanding, which feels off, but is functionally almost the same as "one use per character."

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I hope those insane grinders found the much cheaper shop for that sword before the grind was over. Full price for a greatsword, smdh.

not my first time no, but afterwards yeah I figured out the trick

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just want to say that I am once again entirely in favour of the time-honoured tradition of doing every possible side activity before moving on with the bloody plot. Only way to play.

Night10194 posted:

I honestly prefer that they don't try to explain the exact mechanics of magic primarily because magic's existence and use in the various political struggles of the setting tends to be more important than the magic itself, especially in Betrayal. It's just a tool, it exists, magicians are an important resource and a part of politics and it takes a fair bit of training and intellectual curiosity to master it (like Owyn wants to), and then they go from there and get on with it. It worked well for the sort of story they're shooting for.

I agree with this very much. It's more, well, magical if it's not codified down to the last d8 or what have you. However, there is definitely an element of 'inherent gift'. Milamber/Pug seems to be very much an innate talent originally in the wrong place, and even though his friend Hochopepa is characterised fat and lazy he is still a very dangerous man if he wants to be.

Magic is very politicised, though. In Midkemia most magicians are treated with suspicion at best and as total outcasts at worst. On Kelewan, they are literally above the law because of... let's call it a great service in the distant past. A magician can literally walk anywhere and say 'give me that' and it has to be done. When Pug built his home on Kelewan, his method for doing so was to go to a rich moneylender and demand a huge sum of money to build a villa. The moneylender gets the money back from the imperial government, but it was easier for Pug than hiring contracters. Pug also is disbarred from the Assembly on Kelewan for certain extreme actions and, while he is still an insanely powerful mother fucker, he is stripped of his privileges as a Great One for a while.

I'm being deliberately vague in these lore posts because I want to get people intrigued enough to read the books, which I consider very good, but I don't want to totally spoil.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 15, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

PurpleXVI posted:

Vote

Should the party turn south at Highcastle or Northwarden?

Either way, the gem smuggler quest won't be bypassed, since if I remember right we can only do that here in chapter one.
Whichever one is farther away.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
I stand by what I said earlier:

DGM_2 posted:

Dude, we're goons. EVERY vote will be to dick around as much as possible before getting to the point and you know it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Zereth posted:

Seconded at thirded.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zereth posted:

:agreed:

Always take the longest possible route and every available diversion.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
My vote is to show the side things that disappear after chapter 1, but avoid burning through too much else. The later chapters can feel a little empty if you do too much looting and questing at the beginning of the game.

The fun thing about grave robbing is you can usually tell what will be buried in a grave based on the epitaph, which can feels bit like the chest riddles at times.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Roxors posted:

The fun thing about grave robbing is you can usually tell what will be buried in a grave based on the epitaph, which can feels bit like the chest riddles at times.

Yeah, there's usually some sort of painful pun or homophone indicating what's buried in there, while the grislier/sadder grave names tend to be the dangerous ones.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Roxors posted:

My vote is to show the side things that disappear after chapter 1, but avoid burning through too much else. The later chapters can feel a little empty if you do too much looting and questing at the beginning of the game.

Now that you mention this I do remember this being an issue, so I'm also good with the side content being paced out a bit more.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Roxors posted:

This is a fair point.

Alright, my standing vote for the rest of the game is that you must EVENTUALLY do everything - no letting "lost forever" stuff go by - but otherwise you're welcome to do things whenever you think it works best for the LP.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

DGM_2 posted:

This is a fair point.

Alright, my standing vote for the rest of the game is that you must EVENTUALLY do everything - no letting "lost forever" stuff go by - but otherwise you're welcome to do things whenever you think it works best for the LP.

Likewise

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

DGM_2 posted:

This is a fair point.

I change my vote to match that of the Shadow Minister for Sensible Gaming

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I change my vote to match that of the Shadow Minister for Sensible Gaming

Heh. Never been called THAT before, but I'll take it!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The will of the people has been heard... the team will get another serving of greatly unwanted cardio training.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Hey, I prefer to call it "additional opportunities for gear procurement and skill training!"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Also, since I'm not putting up the in-game description for EVERY item(sadly they can't all be as unintentionally funny as the pile-of-fruit one), if there's a piece of text you guys really want to see(like, I don't know, maybe you're desperate to know what Locklear thinks about a specific gem or something), let me know and I'll be sure to add it to an update or in between updates.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
Hey Purple, can you put the pictures of the puzzle chest up unsolved and maybe put the solution below in spoiler tags? Or would that be too much work? I do like trying to guess the answers, but no problem if its too much.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

SOLarian posted:

Hey Purple, can you put the pictures of the puzzle chest up unsolved and maybe put the solution below in spoiler tags? Or would that be too much work? I do like trying to guess the answers, but no problem if its too much.

I could start doing that from now on, I suppose. It wouldn't be too much extra work.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think you should leave at least one quest undone per chapter just to drive completionists up a wall. :v:

but really though I don't have a preference on how thoroughly you scour Midkemia for quests, it's really what you think works well for pacing the LP, in my opinion.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
This game :allears:

So many good memories of beating my head against Chapter 3

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Update 05: [Goblins]

When we last left off, we were about one third along the east/west road running south of the Teeth of the World mountains, which amounts to roughly 1/9th of the total distance if we were going to take the longest possible route from Yabon to Krondor, i.e. going east to Northwarden, south to Silden, and then west to Krondor. The thing is, despite most quests and encounters for this region not being activated until later chapters, there is actually one Chapter 1 exclusive sidequest up here, which we'll be collecting before turning around, just to avoid tapping out the eastern north/south route several chapters early.

For some reason, at a couple of points, you get dialogue prompts to skip onwards along the route, possibly to make it feel longer than it actually is.

BaK posted:

Gorath stared down the pass.
"If I recall my geography, this road skirts between the High Wold and the Teeth of the World," he said. "Ultimately it leads past the northern garrisons at Highcastle and Northwarden. What do you think? Do we take this path?"

[YES]

Days passed.

To the north the mountains undulated like the scales of a great dragon, sloping ever higher as the Thunderhell Steppes gave way to the even more majestic range of the Teeth of the World. To the south, the mountains flattened out, becoming eventually a wide plain called the High Wold, which stretched south and curled at the feet of a minor range of hills.

This little skip nudges us about half of the way from Tyr-Sog to the small town of Eldpoint and...

Also right into another Moredhel patrol. :v:

Up here the gloves are off, there are no more 1 or 2-enemy encounters, we're going to be outnumbered almost every time and winning surprise is important, not to mention that even the basic Moredhel Warriors up here tend to have somewhat better stats as well as usually at least one or two of them fielding crossbows. Since we do win surprise, however, this is basically the ideal use case for Flamecast.

Who needs Stardock when I can just read random pamphlets on how to cast destructive magic?

In the novelization, the explanation for why Owyn doesn't know any battle magic is that, quite reasonably, Stardock doesn't want brawls or disagreements to turn into students throwing fireballs and lightning bolts at each other. However, the videogame is absolutely superior to the novel in that just this short bit into an early detour and he's already graduated to becoming a battlemage. So, anyway, Flamecast! It tosses a ball of fire that relies on Accy:Casting for its accuracy(though note that missed projectiles can still hit other targets, so it's best against tight clusters of enemies) and does up to 60 damage to the primary target if Owen sacrifices the maximum 20 Stamina to it. Even late in the game, this is enough to one-shot or cripple(enemies get the same stat penalties as the main characters do when they lose Health) the main target. The AoE effect is ~20% damage to enemies within two squares, which contributes to it being best to cast on round one. Firstly the enemies are likely to be clustered, and secondly they're likely to be far enough away that you won't fry your own party in the process.

For instance, this is how things look a round or two later. Hitting either of the nearly Moredhel with a Flamecast would fry both Owyn and Locklear, and is thus what the wise ancients would call "an absolutely dogshit stupid idea." In any case, except for a brief scary moment where one of the moredhel walk up to Owyn and start swinging at him, the fight passes without anything noteworthy happening.

So much for your genius plan, Squire. They're still after us, and in bigger numbers.
Or they just snuck over the Teeth of the World to hurry on down and intercept us, but we ambushed them rather than the other way around.

I'd say about half the homes and barns near this road are, in this chapter, uninteractible, with their residents either unresponsive or simply not at home.

Taking anoter step here drops us right into an ambush, despite there being no visible enemies in-game. I'm unclear whether this is due to an insufficiently high Scouting skill, or whether some battles are simply pre-coded as being ambushes every time. Not even the huge Krondor FAQ seems to be of any help there.

Unlike the last fight, Owyn can't start it by nuking one of the enemies into the ground thanks to their instantly closing with the tougher boys and giving them two to one odds.

This leads to Gorath actually having all his Stamina worn away, which could have gone really badly. If he'd taken one more hit, it would've severely impacted his ability to hit back and to dodge attacks, and could possibly have lead to him getting his rear end kicked, plus one of the fighters was chasing Owyn around, preventing him from evening the odds with Despair Thy Eyes.

It also leads to the event of one of the Moredhel running for the hills, which is something you desperately want to avoid. Not because he'll return or bring reinforcements or anything, but because the game has a limited number of battles, and thus limited resources, and some of these blue-clad idiots carry things we desperately want to get our hands on for free rather than having to pay for them.

Once we're done tossing the bodies for spare change, we turn a corner in the road and encounter... an incongruous Grecian-style building.

What we've got here, is our first temple. Their main feature is curing hard-to-remove conditions like Near Death in exchange for hard-to-acquire resources like gold, the second thing is blessing your high-tier gear to make it even more high-tier(this is generally not worthwhile for a couple of chapters yet, though, as we're still pretty far from the top of the power curve and blessings are pricey) and the third... let's go poke at that mandala on the wall to our right.

BaK posted:

The design was odd.
"I see the mandala interests you." Turning, Locklear noticed a thin young man standing in the archway, his hands hidden in the folds of his robe. "While the relations between the temples and the new Academy of Magic at Stardock have been cool, it is one of the treasures they have passed on of the Tsurani magic. It has given us great mobility."

"Mobility?" Locklear asked. "How can a painting help you move?"

The acolyte smiled. "It would be easier to explain by example. Tell me about a place you are familiar with, a place where you have spent a good deal of time." Locklear shrugged, describing the place he had grown up, the layout of the rooms, the various things associated with his home.

"Very good," the man replied. "As you described those things to me, doubtless you also experienced certain memories through which you were able to relive your past. In the same way, these mandalas help us locate a place. By memorizing a pattern painted on the wall of a specific temple, we may will ourselves there."

"I could think my way home with this?"

"No. The memory of your home would be too unfocused for you to make the attempt. But, if you were to memorize this pattern, you could return here by recalling its image in your mind when assisted by the power of another Temple."

Locklear looked back at the mandala, lost in thought for a moment, his eyes soaking up the intricacies of it. "I assume there would be some fee associated with moving between locations?"

The acolyte nodded. "As simple as it is in concept, it still requires a great deal of effort to move even a single individual, though I am told the Tsurani Great Ones move about with less effort. I believe Pug wished to restrict our knowledge of this in some ways until we had proven we would not abuse its power."

This is completely non-canon, by the way. In the canon, the only ones with access to teleportation are the Tsurani Great Ones(and Pug, because Pug has all the magic), and even then they need carefully prepared patterns to memorize and teleport to, or devices keyed to very specific locations. In general the temples feature... relatively little in the canonical stories, despite Midkemia having a fleshed-out pantheon... but I'll rant about the gods in the next lore post. For now, suffice to say that Dala is also known as the "Shield of the Weak" in-setting, a faith not explicitly devoted to fighting, but definitely as ready to crack heads if someone's loving with the defenseless as it is to handing out food to the homeless.

All temples also have an option to go harass the head priest for attention.

BaK posted:

Locklear asked to see the high priestess.

The attendant priest escorting them rattled like a great knight, a broadsword belted at his hip and his head covered in chain link underneath his hood. They passed other priests in the temple who were similarly attired, the whole of the religious order seemingly geared for a great battle.

When at last they entered a small room, the burly priest nodded towards a large paper triptych which stood near the rear wall. "High priestess Risa will see you after she has attended to the sick one. I will return after your business is finished."

A small whimper came from behind the shadowed screen but was quickly shushed by the high priestess. After a few moments, a lightly robed figure moved out from behind the screen, a bowl of gruel clutched between her small hands.

"High priestess?" Locklear ventured.

Seeing Locklear's surprised look, the woman smiled. "Let me guess. I am not as you expected. Many of my faithful think I have talons, eyes of fire and a sword sheathed at my hip." Moving to a small table, she set aside her wooden bowl and spoon, snatching up a towel to wipe broth from her hands. "People misinterpret Dala's role in the balance of things. While she guards those in battle, she also guards travellers as they sleep and looks after those in need. At the moment, I would value far more a bag of grain than I would all the martial skill in the world."

Locklear blinked. "Why is that, high priestess?"

"Our stores are nearly empty," she replied. "What food we haven't given out to the poor has been stolen by thieves who have taken advantage of our generosity. If we cant get any grain to be milled so on, we will have to turn away children who have no other source of food."

"We might be able to bring you rations..."

The high priestess shook her head. "You can't store rations, not for long. We need a bag of grain. In exchange, I think Dala might bestow you a boon, though I can't presume upon the goddess' favor without consultation. I would speak to you more, but I have others I need to see today."

"I understand," Locklear replied. "Thank you for your time."

Despite being able to pick up this quest in Chapter 1 already, it can't be completed until Chapter 2 due to necessary NPC's not being interactible or encounterable until then, but it has a really good reward, so we absolutely want to keep it in mind. In any case, we don't have the money to bless anything(nor is it worth blessing anything at this point), no one's half dead and we don't have any other temples visited to turn them into teleport locations yet(not to mention the prices are absolute ripoffs.).

So we're going to take a detour to find grain for a temple?
Well, no. But if we happen to stumble across a sack of grain anyway... we could probably use all the divine help we could get.

Oooooh, berries!
Owyn, your pack is filled to the brim with rations.
Aw c'mon, we're sparing like, two weeks for your dumb detour. Can't we spare ten minutes for my berries?
Fine, fine, just be careful, some of these look odd...

BaK posted:

The leaves were dull. Shaded in dull browns and ochres, the bush wasn't much to look at, but it might yield berries that could be eaten.
Owyn pawed through the thick limbs of the bush. Sampling a small dark berry he nodded then called to the others, "They're edible. Help me see if there are enough here to bundle into a small pack... "

OR

The leaves were dull. Shaded in dull browns and ochres, the bush wasn't much to look at, but it might yield berries that could be useful.
Owyn pawed through the thick limbs of the bush. The small colored berries made his fingers warm and he instantly recognized their restorative potential. He called the others over," Help me see if there are enough berries here to fill one of my spare vials...

OR

The leaves were colorful. Shaded in bright reds and oranges, the bush was breathtakingly beautiful.
Owyn pawed through the thick limbs of the bush. Sampling a small dark berry he nodded then called to the others, "These taste a bit funny but help me see if there are enough here to bundle into a small pack..."

The first flavour text means the bush yields rations, the second means it yields green potions(restoratives!) and the third means it yields poisoned rations. :v: Always remember to read the flavour text, kids, or at least to check what kind of rations you're picking up.

...why would a wagon be a sign of an ambush?
Maybe the moredhel are bringing so many guys for the next one that they need to cart them around.
I refuse to believe they need a supply train to ambush us.
If you doubt my elven senses, go ahead and take another step forwards.

Son of a bitch.

Mostly what this battle shows off is that battle fields can have different sizes and sometimes even shapes. The game doesn't play a lot with it, which is a shame, some battlefields with actual choke points and obstructions could have been interesting, but it does occasionally change the tactical calculus and, for instance, dungeon/cave battlefields tend to be narrower than overworld battlefields.

Ugh, now why are we going off-road?
Since Gorath was right about the ambush, he might be right about the wagon, too, and while I doubt Delekhan's soldiers travel by wagon, stacked like barrels, they might have transported something else in among the cliffs...

Jackpot. Two chests just off the road. Generally overworld containers don't change from chapter to chapter, though the non-code ones, the locked ones, may be simply too difficult to pick early in the game, which is why they're usually our best chance of breaking the power curve in half even more than we already have.

COALS

And oh does this chest ever kick rear end. The Keshian Tapir(that huge scimitar up there), is the fourth most-damaging sword in the game(and third most damaging if you only count non-unique ones) and represents a massive damage boost for Gorath, while the amulet is an Amulet of the Upright Man which gives a +15% Lockpicking boost. Getting that in the first chapter of the game when the scale is 0 to 100, is pretty great!

SECRET

And the second chest contains crossbows good enough that now it's actually worth it to take the occasional potshot at enemies and let them waste the time closing in, rather than sending Locklear and Gorath ahead to brawl. Though I'd like to note that I am officially an idiot for not picking up that bowstring(an item that repairs a damaged crossbow to 100%).

FUTURE

The last chest contains a Medium crossbow which is a sidegrade to the red Tsurani crossbows. It does somewhat less damage, but has better accuracy.

I'm surprised they just left that undefended.

Owyn! :cripes:

This trap introduces a few new things, crystals and cannons. Cannons shoot fireballs at anything that moves past their "muzzle," doing 30 damage with each hit. Solid crystals provoke attacks, but also block them, so the solution to this trap is pretty simple.

Move the first-line crystal to the right so we can shuffle the second-line crystal one step forwards and block the second cannon as well.

Another important note is that traps have no time limit, so if your characters are wounded at all, a hot pro tip is to wander into a trap and have them "rest" over and over until they're capped out on health and stamina, THEN "solve" the trap.

The next step of the road is quiet.

Too quiet!

You hold him down, Gorath, and I'll punch him until candy comes out.

Even with the advantage of ambushing the party, four moredhel fighters go down without too much difficulty since they don't immediately tie up Owyn, and he can thus get started on blinding them all while Gorath and Locklear fillet them mercilessly. This encounter is great, though, because one of the dead moredhel has one of the most important items for this stretch of the game. The best thing about it is that you might very well never know that it's important, on account of the game never actually deigning to tell you what its effect is.

Ow! drat! Just stop hitting the drat thing and I promise we won't kick your rear end.

This is another place where a noteworthy gear upgrade is just casually stashed in a corner of the geometry.

Head off the road, walk into the hills, skip around the barn and poke at the little bit of disturbed dirt in the corner.

The Goblin Sticker within isn't as damaging as the Keshian Tapir, but is slightly more accurate and also has a +5% accuracy bless. I missed that it was Elven-typed, though, and should have absolutely given it to Gorath instead of the Tapir(which is human-typed).

Between all these magical traps and ambushes, though, I feel rather turned around. Let's go ask for directions at one of the actually inhabited houses in the area.

BaK posted:

The house was badly in need of repair, but it appeared as though someone might be living in it so Locklear knocked loudly and stood back to wait.

A female voice called out to them from inside, "Who is it?"

"Official Kingdom business, we need to speak with you," Locklear said firmly.

The door opened slowly on a woman who seemed surprised and dismayed to see them standing before her. "Please kind sirs, we didn't mean no harm. The house was abandoned when we found it." Her torn dress fluttered in the small breeze, just as her voice fluttered in her nervousness.

Owyn noticed -- sensed perhaps -- that she was with child. "That's not why we have come. What can you tell us of this area? Anything out of the ordinary?"

"No sirs. There ain't been much -- wait a minute. A detachment from Highcastle camped out just south of here and I think they left behind a couple boxes. Didn't look in 'em, though."

Locklear told the woman to stay in the house as long as she and her husband needed to stay there. "I don't think the owner has any plans to come back here. Good-bye."

You can tell these guys are actual protagonists because they actually respect squatters rather than turning them out for some lame reason like "the law." The chests they mention also exist, but they're both locked beyond Locklear's skill and also contain some surprisingly lame loot compared to all the chests we can effortlessly open at this stage.

Just around the corner we reach Eldpoint, which is largely notable for having one of the worst stores in the game, "Guds," which has an absolutely terrible selection of items AND buys basically none of what we find on any of the enemies, or in any of the stashes around the area. So instead, let's harass some of the other locals, one of them has a present for us.

BaK posted:

Locklear knocked on the door.

Presently, a stout woman answered and after a short exchange of pleasantries, ushered them inside. "My husband is in the other room working on a new pair of shoes. I'll tell him you are here."

She disappeared behind a cloth curtain that apparently separated the living area of the house from the work area. The curtains parted again and a smiling man entered the room.

"Why yes, gentlemen. Have you come for a pair of shoes? Perhaps you'd like a pair for your lady friends, eh? I'm working on a new shoe design for ladies of high fashion." He held up a pair of shoes that had a thin two inch heel.

Locklear frowned. "Wouldn't it feel like you were walking down hill all day long?"

The old man looked at Locklear, then back at the shoe. "Ack. Maybe you're right. In any case. I have some fine footwear here if you're interested. The elves call them 'weedwalkers.' You just put them on under your boots and it somehow muffles the sound. Are you interested?"

Sadly, we can't dress Gorath in high heels, but if we accept the offer, we get a pair of free Weedwalkers which, you might remember, are a +30% bonus to Stealth. Considering that Weedwalkers have a base price of 150 gold, that's a pretty big score for the early game.

It also, of course, has an inn, though sadly without any unique NPC's. Just the usual barmaid, lute and a few randoms. You'll probably not click on any randoms after the first time you try, since they generally just have very short dialogues that amount to: "And the NPC told Locklear to gently caress off and mind his own business," but there are actually several unique, but rare, and randomly assigned, dialogues for inn patrons which are worth reading. I'll toss in a few of them as the game progresses, like right now!

BaK posted:

A table was cleaned for them.

Sitting down on an splintered bench across from the man, Locklear shared a bit of the mercenary's bread as he listened to a story about a failed love affair with a married woman. As the story progressed from a sentimental recounting to a drunken blubber, it became evident the man had no intention of finishing the tale any time soon.

"That's terrible," Locklear intoned a round a mouthful of bread, his attention fixed instead on the wooden boards behind the mercenarys head. "Awful. Tragic..."

"Ah, there you are," a steward said, laying a heavy hand on Owyn's shoulder. "Are you lads still going to help me carry in those bags like we talked about?"

Initially at a loss, but suddenly understanding they had been rescued, Owyn clapped his hands together. "Yes, yes, of course. If our drinking companion will forgive the absence."

Blearily the man looked up at them and nodded, waving for someone to come and fill his cup.

We will, of course, also take a shot at barding and hope we don't get our asses tossed out again...

BaK posted:

Fortune smiled.

Despite the fact he was stumbling through the chords of This Kingdom Mine, Owyn's lack of musical mastery was masked by the raucous noise of the tavern's drunken patrons thumping their mugs to the rhythm of the music.

"That was interesting," the tavern keeper said. "I don't think I've heard that song tortured so much in one evening. You're lucky the patrons are drunk tonight. Against my better judgement they're demanding I pay you. Here."

Withdrawing 27 sovereigns from a pouch, the tavern keeper passed them over to Owyn.

It's the lowest tier of success possible, but it's still a success! This is more or less entirely down to the practice lute that Owyn hammered away at until it broke last update, it brought him just over the minimum requirement to get a reward. Only about a quarter of the maximum possible reward, but I have no idea how you'd get the 82 Barding necessary to get the max reward here in Chapter 1 without abusing one of the game's multiple free money tricks, the simplest of which relies on the fact that anything sold to a store can be bought back any number of times. Thus, if you break a high-quality crossbow entirely, you can buy an infinite amount almost for free, then buy bowstrings to repair them, and sell the repaired crossbows for more than the price of buying the wreck and the string.

At least you're finally earning your keep.
You mean aside from the magic?
If you two would stop squabbling, there are enemies up ahead.
In the middle of Eldpoint?
Indeed, it looks like we've arrived in the middle of a raid.

Welcome to a new type of enemy: Trolls. They're, uh, nothing like trolls in the books, who are described as looking more like primates than people. These things are just tall people with some bad makeup and large sticks. They tend to be beefier than Moredhel, and hit harder... and almost zero of them carry anything, meaning that if you decide to spend your time hacking them to pieces, they're gonna provide some training, sure, but likely mostly waste your resources and perhaps paste the party. So instead, do the smart thing.

Cover your ears, everyone!

DINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

The secret power of the tuning fork is that it makes all trolls in a given battle instantly start fleeing from the battlefield. :v: It's a supremely useful item that makes the game so much easier, sparing you a ton of quite annoying battles, and outside of perhaps one single piece of NPC dialogue somewhere, nothing ever tells you that the drat things actually have a use.

I'm going to be resolving all troll fights with tuning forks when possible, since the forks aren't exactly in short supply(we've got about 60 uses on the one we found) and there's never anything lost in doing so.

From Eldpoint to Highcastle, there's only one battle in our way, which is another pure troll encounter and thus removed with another Tuning Fork use. And thank God we're finally at Highcastle, I've had to pass up tons of mediocre items thanks to not being able to unload jack poo poo at Tyr-Sog or Eldpoint.

Despite being a border strongpoint, Highcastle has the spread of amenities: A shop, a tavern and a local noble to harass. The local interactible background item is the mentioned Cutter's Gap in the background...

BaK posted:

Rain slanted out of the sky.

Squiffing through the muddy pass, Locklear stared miserably at the broken remnants of a bridge which had once spanned Highcastle Gorge. Blinking rain out of his eyes, he looked to Gorath. "The bridge has been sabotaged," he spat. "Three days of this back to Highcastle unless you have any other ideas."

Gorath scowled and shook his head. "I don't know what would be gained by turning back into the Northlands. I think it just as well the way is blocked."

"I have my reasons," Locklear shot back, angry that the trip had been a waste of time. "Let's head back to Highcastle."

I'm not sure what Locklear's "reasons" could have been. A boondoggle attempt at travelling north and assassinating Delekhan to shortcircuit the entire plot? :v: It would've been funny if it was an option.

There's nothing exciting about the local store, it just has a ton of high-tier armor and weapons at prices sadly much too high for us to pay at the moment. So let's hit up the bar, play some tunes and get another bit of fluff dialogue.

BaK posted:

Owyn played.
Losing himself in the flow of the music, he occasionally mangled a note or two, but on the whole did justice to This Kingdom Mine, the only tune he knew by heart.

"That was nice," the tavern keeper said with a smile, handing Owyn 27 Sovereigns. "You'll have to play for us again sometime."

Locklear slapped the man on the back.

Immediately he regretted doing so as the mercenary gasped, his face contorting into a mask of pain.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize... Is your shoulder broken?" Locklear asked.

"Don't worry yourself about it," the man spat between gritted teeth. "I haven't exactly made the fact known." A faint popping sound issued from the man's back as he moved his shoulder, tears forming in the corners of his eyes. "I was a courier for the dwarves. I reasoned there would be less chance a brigand would try to intercept me if he wasn't aware I was injured."

Locklear nodded sympathetically. "Did you break it in a fight?"

"No, a fall," the man said. "Stupid man I am, I was in the dwarven caves and I came to this pit -- part of the caves had collapsed so there were all kinds of sinkholes everywhere. Since there wasn't a plank I could walk over and I didn't have any kind of rope...I jumped. I think if I had the chance to make the decision again, I'd have waited until I got my hands on a coil of hemp."

Many of the "rare" inn dialogues seem to be minor game hints, like this one which tells you not to gently caress around in dungeons without rope. Now that everyone's had a chance to get drunk, let's talk to the local noble.

BaK posted:

A soldier let them in.
Following the swirling tail of the man's white tabard, they were escorted into a well appointed study with large windows overlooking the marshalling yard of the castle. Seated in the casement just below it, a large man was watching the activities below with an absorbed fascination, occasionally scribbling down notes on a piece of parchment at his side.

"Baron Kevin, these men asked to be shown in," the soldier announced. "Shall I leave you?"

The red haired man nodded, motioning for them to take seats a little more conventional than the one he currently occupied. "What can I do for you gentlemen? I am afraid Baron Troville isn't here."

"That is quite all right. We were looking for insights about a possible attack on Highcastle," Locklear started. "Have you seen anything unusual recently?"

"Have I?" Kevin said with a laugh, his blue eyes twinkling. "I see unusual things every day. You don't work in a frontier fort and lead a boring life you know."

After relating several amusing stories, the Baron mentioned that an important bridge had collapsed to the north of Cutter's Gap, possibly stranding several goblins on the Kingdom side of Highcastle Gorge. "They are likely to begin attacking travelling merchants for food. If you are heading in that direction, I'd advise watching my step if I were you. And if you happen to stumble across those goblins, I'd appreciate it if you brought us back some evidence they were around."

"We might be passing that way, Locklear said with a shrug. "We don't exactly have an itinerary. If we don't know where we're going, then the people who are trying to silence Gorath here won't know either."

"I understand," the Baron said, favoring Gorath with a doubtful look. "Be careful in your journeys..."

So the plan is... to not have a plan?
Exactly, no one would ever expect someone as brilliant as me to be acting randomly.

Anyway, now that the party's inventory is unburdened, we have a change to kick over some things in the environs around Highcastle.

Firstly, and most importantly, we need to pretend roads don't exist and run more or less straight west away from Highcastle until we bump into a cliffside, which should also trigger another magic trap.

Now, this trap I don't quite get. You'll notice we've got all the previous elements here, plus a new one, transparent crystals. Fireball cannons will attempt to shoot at them, but their shots will pass through. If they hit one of the pillars for the lightning lines, they'll disable that entire line, but at the same time they can't shoot through the line itself, as the line will blast the fireball out of the air.

Considering that we can't pull crystals, only push them, I'm lost as to how to solve this trap "perfectly." Ultimately, what I did was just having Owyn run past the cannon on the right(it's only 30 damage, he'll be fine!), with the solid crystal, so he could use it to block the top left cannon and walk past it. If the rightmost crystal was a transparent one, the solution would be super obvious, but since it's not... I don't have a drat clue. If someone else can use their tactical megamind to solve this one without frying Owyn halfway to a crisp, go ahead and let me know.

Of course, I also double gently caress it by pushing this crystal a step too far so Owyn has to eat two fireballs. Still, at least there's a reward for this!

While completing battles drops you out where you stood, completing traps always drops you in a fixed location, in this case more or less staring down three coded chests.

BARK

The contents of the chests are a bit... eh, though.

BREATH

For instance this one just contains 28 rations. Nice stuff, but not exactly super vital.

YESTERDAY

Instead, this one is the big score.

Another good sword, a high-quality emerald(worth about 100 sovereigns) and two bags of seemingly innocuous powder.

Though at least these come with some instructions. They go in Owyn's inventory, and we'll soon see that they're some of the best items in the game for handling battles where the party's outnumbered.

Now, let's see about getting in the Baron's good graces. Those goblins he mentioned can't have gone far...

Excuse me, has anyone in here seen any rampaging goblins around?

BaK posted:

"Wonderful day, don't you think?" said the pleasant woman that came to the door.

"Yes, yes it is," replied Locklear. "We were wondering if we could talk with you and your husband for a moment."

"I'm sorry, Marchus is out hunting right now. Perhaps I can help you."

"Actually, we were wondering if you had noticed anything...out of the ordinary...around here recently," Locklear inquired.

"Well, now that you mention it, yes. Marchus found three strange chests last time he was out hunting, said they had some strange writing on them."

Owyn, who had been distractedly digging at some dirt under his fingernails, perked up at the talk of the chests.

"Do you remember where he said he found them?" asked Locklear.

The woman thought for a moment then said, "Yes, I believe I do. Just follow this road south until you see a pile of rocks. Get off the road and go south a little bit more, then turn west and walk until you hit the mountains. The chests should be right there..."

They politely thanked her for the information and left.

She's a hint leading us to the chests we just found. But since we already looted those, we'll just keep heading north.

Goblin campfires, do you think?
No doubt, you can tell because they never follow proper campfire safety rules.
????
Draken-Smokey says only you can prevent forest fires.

There they are, it's the [goblins]!
Prepare to meet your end, miserable [goblins].
Those aren't goblins, they're just guys in green shirts!
Shut up, Owyn and eat your goblins.

Ahem, so. These are obviously just digitized images of slightly shorter(or downscaled) humans in green clothes which are hilariously completely unlike Midkemia goblins, who are, oddly enough, blue-skinned, always black-haired, much shorter than humans and have black scleras. In some of the books they're also described a bit like smaller trolls, as in being somewhat simian in stature. Stat-wise they're also more or less completely identical to moredhel, which is another oddity since in the stories they tend to be described as generally being much less dangerous than both humans and moredhel, and generally only a threat in large numbers or if they manage an ambush.

These bastards are set up with two archers and also run right into the middle of our formation, so I decide to bust out the big guns and eat the friendly fire involved in Flamecasting the center goblin to reduce how much a threat he is to Owyn.

It mostly goes well, except that Owyn almost gets hacked apart and ends up with only 6 Health left, a goblin all up in his grill and it being able to act before Locklear or Gorath can get to it. So what do we do?

We pop it with one of those powder bags, of course. Nothing explains how they work, but they paralyze an enemy for an undefined number of rounds. It's like a better version of Despair Thy Eyes, especially since it also allows you to see that A) the effect has in fact, taken effect, and B) whether it's still active. As long as Owyn's carting around a few of these bags, we're pretty well guaranteed that he won't be taken to the own zone by personal space invading enemies.

Now let's pick through their carcasses for quest items.

BaK posted:

Delekhan:

We have studied the defenses of Highcastle in anticipation of your planned assault and have discovered three weaknesses which may be exploited before the attack: The trolls that live nearby may be used to disrupt the flow of supplies to the castle without raising significant suspicions about our interference, many of the guards within the castle appear to be suffering from the wounds we have inflicted on them during our continual raids of the last few months, and it appears there has been some problem in the delivery of the pay from Rillanon and many within the castle are beginning to grumble about their situation. We shall report again when we know more.

Again, it's funny to have these perfectly literate goblins when most of the time they're portrayed as being hide-bound savages. Let's cart this back to Highcastle and see what Baron Kevin has to say about it.

BaK posted:

Kevin met them at the door.

After exchanging pleasantries, they followed him as he lead them towards the kitchens where he had been originally bound. Turning a wide corner, they entered a small galley.

"So?" he asked, retrieving something to snack on, handing them all food to snack on as well. "What have you discovered in your travels?"

Wordlessly, Locklear retrieved the note they removed from the dead goblin and handed it over, watching carefully as the Baron read over its contents. At last he crumpled the parchment into a ball as he spoke, "Delekhan will have to do better than putting such an obvious plant over the bridge. He is trying to convince us to take a force across the river since we so obviously outnumber the meager forces there. We won't be falling for that trick," he said resolutely. Taking a large bite out of a joint of beef, he mumbled around his food. "Reminds me of the tactics the Tsurani used while I was serving the Lady of the Acoma on Kelewan."

"I'm sorry the information we brought back wasn't of more value," Locklear apologized.

Baron Kevin straightened, "No need to be sorry. The message you brought back tells us that Delekhan is operating in this area -- perhaps has his sights set on Highcastle. At any rate, you deserve to be recompensed for your efforts. Before you leave here I shall see to it that 200 gold are given to you."

"That is most gracious, but --"

"Please, no false modesty," interrupted the Baron. Breaking into an eager smile, he slapped Locklear's back. "It's not as if I'm giving away my own money anyway. I don't think Baron Troville would have minded."

At last they agreed to take the money, and said their goodbyes.

200 Sovereigns for killing 5 goblins is a really good score considering that up to this point, the party has maybe earned about 700 or 800 sovereigns total. With this, though, we've tapped out the Highcastle environs for the time being and it's time to head further east and north until we reach Northwarden.

That's for the next post, though, since Betrayal at Krondor is a surprisingly wordy game(and I am incredibly incapable of shutting up), and thus this post is already at 50k characters.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ah, trolls. They are an immense bastard to fight legitimately, too. This whole area is, as you said, a big step up in danger but they're a tough enemy at all points in the game, not just now.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Definitely didn't remember using consumables like the tuning fork, so I'm sure that made things more difficult! But like you said, since battles are ultimately finite I probably just assumed it was worth the effort to fight trolls just in case.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Update 06: An Intentional Bug?

When I last punched through the character limit, we were leaving Highcastle after several lore-breaking encounters. Let's get on with it.

Much like Tyr-Sog, Highcastle has an "are you sure about this, dude?"-dialogue east of it.

BaK posted:

Locklear fretted.
Miles away from the objective he knew they should be pursuing, he managed to assuage his nagging concerns by noting the fact that there had been far fewer assassins in their way since they had taken the diversionary route away from Krondor. Inevitably, they would of course head to the Prince, but in his gut he knew none of the assassins would have suspected them to head into the hills south of Highcastle...

: We've probably come far enough east to have thrown any other assassins off the track. You have a better idea of what Delekhan would throw at us, Gorath. What do you think?

: I think that if I were he, I would hunt us in the same way that one hounds a fox. You chase him and snap at his heels, all the while driving him out of fear into his hole.

: And in this instance, the hole is Krondor. If he doesn't already suspect our destination, he can't stay unaware of it too long. But he couldn't lay his trap for us in Krondor itself. Even a large contingent of elves there is enough to stir up a ruckus.

: I suspect a trap immediately to the north of our objective. That would be most prudent.

: I think I'd have to agree. Slipping in at night from the southeast would probably be the best way in... I'll at least keep it in mind as we travel.

There are a few signs of habitation and, yes, the hollow tree stumps that are blatant sprites four times as wide as the trunks of actual trees in the game are interactible containers hiding items. This one has a small piece of vendor trash, another of those blue shells, and little else, but they're worth keeping an eye out for.

Between Highcastle and Wolfram there are no encounters, so this next leg of the journey is relatively calm, and Wolfram has little of interest at this point.

Though the local store, the Arms of Dala, is somewhat interesting.

In that it sells everything up to top-tier weapons and armor, but all of it at 50% durability, like a used armor store. One way of making lots of money is, with sufficient weapon/armorcrafting skill, buying a bunch of weapons here, fixing them up, and then carting them over to a higher-priced store and selling them there.

Past that, we have the Temple of Tith-Onanka, the god of generalized warfare as opposed to Dala's warfare in the defense of others. They offer the same services as the temple of Dala, but maybe the high priest has some interesting dialogue?

BaK posted:

Battle standards floated over their heads.

Escorted into a room which looked more like a king's banquet hall than a sacred chamber, Locklear feasted his eyes on the hundreds of war banners and shields which were hung on the walls. The room's most prominent feature was a long table which stretched the length of the torchlit hall and was covered with statuettes which looked like soldiers.

A priest sat at the far end of the table, rearranging a cluster of the bone figurines that were before him. Larger than even Gorath across the shoulders, the Father Patriarch looked as menacing a figure as any that Locklear had ever seen.

"This looks like a war council," Locklear observed, noting many of the figurines lay on their sides.

"Of a sorts," the Patriarch said without looking up. Scratching at his grey streaked beard, he moved another piece, but seemed unsure of its placement as if he were moving it on someone else's advice. "Here, however, I merely observe. Others plan this battle."

"Whose battle?"

The Father Patriarch glanced up, his wolfish eyes fixing on them. "Hmmm? This battle? It unfolds in the south of Kesh, near the Confederacy. I fear that the Empress Lakeishas forces are far superior. Her dog soldiers will crush the rebellion soon, I should think."

Locklear nodded as he looked over the lay of the battlefield. "How do you know where everyone is? Does Tith tell you?"

The priest shook his head. "If the war god wished to tell me, it would take all the enjoyment out of making my guesses. I have messengers arriving daily to tell me how things transpire." Thumping the hardwood table with his fist, he looked at another group of figurines and moved to rearrange them as well. "Sometimes I am surprised."

"I see. I don't suppose you could tell us about what the moredhel plan in the North, could you?" Locklear asked, a little nervous about the presumption.

"No," the priest replied. "I would be greatly interested, but all those messengers of mine that I have dispatched to check have been killed. Since I have less priests than I have curiosities, I decided to wait until I had either more of one or less of the other."

Suddenly another priest appeared at the door to the chamber and hurried over to whisper in his superior's ear. Cursing, the Patriarch thumped the table again. "I have other things I must attend to," the priest said gruffly as soon as the other priest had scurried away. "I would offer you some Redweed Brew, but I have none to offer you, so you will have to find some elsewhere. Good day, men."

The presentation of the high priest as being more concerned with war as sort of a... spectator sport, with bets and intellectual interest rather than caring about what the various sides are trying to accomplish, is pretty interesting. It's probably more detail than the priests of Tith ever get in the books, and also not exactly flattering.

Now that we have two temples visited, however... we can also finally see what they charge for teleportation services.

Just a smooth 10% of our funds to avoid having to spend a couple of days' worth of rations(maybe 1% of our funds) to walk down a road we already cleared of moredhel dickheads. If you were trying to speedrun BaK, you'd absolutely attempt to mark temples in the early game when the way to them is easy, and then use them to skip around time-consuming encounters in the later game, but for a casual playthrough, they're actually not really worth engaging with.

It's nice that we're finally somewhere peaceful, we haven't been attacked in days now.
Maybe we should stop at that idyllic farm to ask for directions and get some fresh food!

BaK posted:

The front door was scratched heavily, as though by swords. His own sword drawn, Gorath cautiously ventured inside. The weather beaten exterior of the house was in better shape than the ransacked interior. What was left of a small wooden table and two chairs, rested at odd splintered angles throughout the house.

After a brief search turned up nothing of interest, they decided to leave...

OWYN: Did thieves do that?

GORATH: There would be no reason for them to tear the place up like that. No, the evidence of my eyes suggests a small band of trolls recently paid a call here. Probably killed the owner and his family, too. I pray to Ishap they didn't find any women when they arrived.

The remains of a sheep lay just inside the door to the barn, its body a twisted bloody mass of bone and wool.

Owyn stood open mouthed, breathing heavily. It was obvious that the animal had been carved with a knife, and that the carver was after its meat. What disturbed him was the brutality with which the act had been carried out. Blood had splattered everywhere and there were bits of dried meat on the walls and ceiling, probably flung there by the knife as it violently hacked in and out of the defenseless creature. Other animals in the barn had met a similar fate.

Owyn thought it strange how the sight of men killed in combat had no more effect than the scene laid out before him. After a moment's hesitation he decided it was time to leave.

So, two oddities in this text, firstly there's the bit of casual sexual menace which is as far as I recall never a feature of Feist's books, neither sexual violence or its implications are things I remember seeing used for cheap shots in any of the books I read. Part of it is probably the dearth of female characters, but I think a good part of it is also just that Feist isn't the sort of rear end in a top hat who makes use of it for emotional weight. Good on you, Feist. The other one is Gorath "praying to Ishap." Now, Ishap is confirmedly one of the world's gods, but generally it's implied that the elves(of any flavour) have no organized worship and have their own cosmological beliefs(which may or may not be right, considering that they believe they don't go to Lims-Kragma's halls of the dead, but that said halls do confirmedly exist, even if their population seems to be purely human).

Still, we manage to get to Dencamp-on-the-Teeth without any further violence despite the implications of there being angry trolls in the area, and Dencamp actually has something very interesting for us to investigate. That's right, something more interesting than high-heeled shoes and free slippers.

We want to interact with this house...

BaK posted:

Locklear knocked.

A red haired man opened the door and looked them over cautiously. Apparently satisfied, he extended an invitation into his home and helped them fill their pouches with fresh water.

"What can you tell of Dencamp on the Teeth?" Locklear asked the man innocently.

"What sort of information are you looking for? If you're here about that group down the road, I can tell you I don't think they were too successful."

Locklear played along, "Oh? And why was that?"

"Well," the man replied, "seems there was all kinds of activity up North. Got set upon by at least three Goblin bands. Finally figured out how to kill THEM, then the Trolls got after them!"

"They found out how to kill Goblins?" asked Owyn incredulously. "How?"

The man shook his head, "Don't rightly know. You'd have to ask them. Oh, one more thing, they'll want a password or they won't even let you in. Tell them it's 'Golden treasure.'"

They thanked the man for his water and hospitality, then left.

Then we head down this side path to this house and...

BaK posted:

Locklear knocked on the scarred wooden door.

Momentarily, a loud male voice boomed at them from inside the house. "What is the password?" the speaker commanded.

"Golden treasure," replied Locklear confidently.

"That is NOT the password! What is the password?"

At a loss for words, Locklear paused. As the booming voice repeated itself, he toyed with the idea of demanding entrance for Kingdom business, but the image of a dozen armed men dissuaded this notion. "Now what shall we do?" asked Owyn, backing away from the door.

And then the situation softlocks. See, in version 1.01 of BaK, you're meant to be able to go back to the first password house and get the right password, then come back here and get the Mind Melt spell, a single-target, no-projectile spell that does double damage against goblins and boosted damage against a few other enemy types, too. But for some inscrutable reason, between versions 1.01 and 1.02(which is the version on GoG and I think the only version that you can get your hands on these days EXCEPT, I think, the German version which for some reason never got patched?), they removed your only way to get the spell, which seems to suggest that it's an intentional "bug." Now, when you go back to the first house, the party just refuses to interact with it.

I've had no luck finding the definitive patch notes, but it's odd because everything else the patch does is absolutely about removing actual crashes and lockups and chances for items to go missing, but this one is just very much a "no, gently caress you, you don't get this spell"-situation.

On the way out, we can also harass some more people.

BaK posted:

A lady with tear stained eyes opened the door in response to Locklear's knock.

"I'm so glad you're he -- Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were my brother. He's coming up to stay with me for awhile."

She invited them into her home and told them of her lover, who had recently been killed by trolls in a border skirmish near the fortress at Northwarden.

Owyn asked gently, "He was a soldier, then?"

She nodded as a new well of tears pooled in her eyes. "Friends have been bringing food. More than I will be able to eat. You may take some if there's anything left."

And it's like, sorry for your loss ma'am, but we'll absolutely be taking a backpack full of pies. It's like three full stacks of rations, which is great. We'll be well set for food for a while.

Your civilization may be inferior, but your human pies almost makes me want to spare you all.
Hey, is that a corpse in the ditch up ahead?
Grave-robbing, the perfect dessert.

The corpse only contains one thing, Coltari Poison, the only use of which is poisoning rations. I'm honestly not sure why it's in the game as an item with discrete uses as it has all of two actual applications in the game(one side quest, one main quest), and could just as well have been an essential item of some sort.

A whole day of travelling later and we still haven't encountered any enemies, but we find a house out on a side path in the wilderness. May as well check if the owner will put us up for the night.

BaK posted:

Locklear sniffed the air. The smells coming from the house were heavenly and they made his stomach grumble hungrily as he knocked on the door.
An attractive woman in a brightly colored apron greeted them a moment later. She invited them inside and offered them some of the pastries she had just removed from the oven. They accepted graciously.

"My name is Thea Halfgate," she told them. "I'm the second eldest daughter of Flendel Halfgate." She went on to speak of her late husband and of a certain soldier at Northwarden she now had her eye on.

"He is responsible for repairing and maintaining the weapons at Northwarden. Perhaps you could teach me these skills so I could make a good impression on him. I could give you my husband's crossbow as I have no use for it. Will you teach me?"

(If someone in the party has 55 or greater Weaponcraft, which Gorath happens to have, we can get a reward here...)

The lesson began.

Thea watched with great interest while Gorath told her about his sword and how he kept it sharp and in such good repair... After close to an hour, the lesson completed, she opened a wooden chest beneath her bed and retrieved a handsome wooden crossbow, presenting it to Gorath with a warm smile of thanks. They thanked her in return and left.

The reward is a mostly-intact Medium Crossbow which is vendor fodder at this point, but every little bit helps, but if we keep going down the road...

We stumble upon a minidungeon called "The Diviner's Halls," which we aren't supposed to visit until chapter 5. But certainly the boys can have a little bit of sequence breaking, as a treat.

As soon as they disarm the trap outside, that is. :v: This one is deceptively simple, though.

You just shove the single transparent crystal forwards, the cannon blows up the rod, and then whoever wants to can just saunter up the field in the now-safe gap.

Despite the lack of variation in the overworld, at least in the underworld areas they sprung for some slightly different wall textures.

Oh and pit traps. These are instant TPK if the party walks into them, and can only be crossed by expending a "charge" from a rope, and there are absolutely some chasms that need crossing to complete the game, thus meaning they technically provide a way for the player to softlock themselves or lock themselves into a corner if they spend their last rope crossing a chasm they can't get back over. Ropes are, thankfully, relatively plentiful compared to the number of chasms, but if you're playing the game without a FAQ and have a poor sense of direction, you could well get a little bit lost at points and spend more charges than you intend.

BaK posted:

The cavernous pit stretched across the narrow corridor. Standing close to the edge, Locklear quickly determined that it was far too wide to jump across, and far too deep to try climbing down.

A pit yawned before them.

Careful not to edge too close and fall in, Locklear shook his head. "The only way we're getting across that is to swing across it," he said. Glancing up at a small hook on the ceiling, he nodded. "Apparently, we're not the only ones to have faced this dilemma. I think I could attach a rope up there, shall we try to swing across?"

Being intended for a later chapter, the Diviner's Halls are only sparsely populated for now, with only a couple of troll encounters hanging around and little we can access in the way of loot, but it's the principle of the matter.

It does hold a few chests, though.

JACKET

Now, what's extra odd about this is that if you come here in chapter 5, as intended, then that egg is completely useless. It's a wyvern egg, a material component(two whole spells in the game use them), for a spell that makes wyverns gently caress off, but wyverns are only present in chapter 6, and the characters you control in chapter 5(yes, spoiler, the party make-up does change a bit from chapter to chapter!) aren't in the same party as any of the characters in chapter 6 for the rest of the game, and travel restrictions prevent them from dumping the eggs in a chest that the chapter 6 party can access.

So clearly, clearly I was meant to come here and loot this in chapter 1, like a genius.

This one baffled me as a kid, how is this even a puzzle?!

SAWDUST

I will maintain to my dying breath that this is absolutely the dumbest moredhel wordlock in the game.

But since it contains the equivalent of 200 to 300 sovereigns, I will forgive the developers.

There's also a room full of human and moredhel corpses containing spoiled rations and a few more wyvern eggs, assuming I ever bother to use them and don't instead desperately hunt for a shop that'll buy the loving things.

Now we can get back on the road, and we're almost at Northwarden!

Along the way is a single ambush from three goblins which, seeing as how they're relatively close to moredhel in strength, doesn't even approach being a challenge. Boring bored because they haven't looted anything in five minutes, the party wanders off-road right into yet another trap.

Yet another straightforward trap, just use the cannon to blow up the rod and walk to the finish line. But I'm greatly amused by how it uses the game's "terrain" by populating the battle map with chests big enough to fold up Owyn and shove him into.

Our reward is yet another three wordlock chests. Dare we enter this magical realm?

DOOR

A bit disappointing, but still useful.

OUTSIDE :v:

Yet more unexciting but fundamentally useful adventuring supplies.

ONION

We get it already, rations are important! :gonk:

Suddenly, as we're marching up the road towards Northwarden...

BaK posted:

Music drifted on the wind.

At first believing himself losing his wits to the grind of travelling, Locklear paused, then picked out the very melodic strains of The Shores of Carse coming from a clump of trees near them. Abruptly the music stopped as an unhappy looking young man dropped out of a tree, his lute slung over back.

I've just come from Northwarden and I don't feel like playing for him anymore today. My fingers are numb, my mind empty, and my stomach grumbling.

Calm yourself. We haven't come from the castle. We're just travellers wandering through who heard your music and thought we would see who was responsible. So, what is a songbird doing among the falcons?

Why do you stay here then?

I haven't the choice! While sharing a cask of ale with a friend, he told me of a small village where the wine was exceptionally strong and the ladies exceptionally thin. Once sobered, I resolved to take myself to this wondrous place and avail myself of its pleasures. To my horror, I found that my friend had mixed his metaphors and I was laid upon by a lady who could tear the teeth from a bull bare-handed. Before I could extricate myself from such humiliable circumstances, her father, a Baronet of some note, exiled me here to entertain for the Baron Gabot or else sacrifice my head.

I'm surprised he didn't have you beheaded...

Well, his daughter was less than maidenly and secondly, he hadn't his fealty to pay for the year. As the Baron Gabot is fond of music, they settled that I should make even the debt... I see that you are a noble of some note. If you could do me a favor, perhaps you could ease the stress of a minstrel's life.

Perhaps. What can you want?

A length of light bowstring. While it is not immediately useable to me, I have found a resin that can be applied to it that will allow me to restring my lute. I have a feeling that I may need new strings soon.

Now, since I forgot to bring that light crossbow string with me, and of course Northwarden isn't selling any, I can't get the reward right now, but if I could...

BaK posted:

A favor for a favor then! Over the past few weeks there have been several sows stolen from Northwarden, so I wrote this little song to commemorate the event. It's silly and short, but I hope you like it. It's called Northwarden Pigs.
-- Northwarden Pigs --

In the North the moredhel
Are vicious to a man.
Get too close they'll run you through
Any way they can!
But know at night the Kingdom's safe
With 'Warden at the pass,
But count your piggies by the dawn.
The soldiers lose 'em fast.
They squeal with joy and oink delight
These piggies of the realm.
But count 'em up head and all.
The soldiers lose 'em fast.

Thank you, Tamney. That was most enjoyable, but I am afraid that my companions and I must be off again. Things to do.

I bid you farewell then. Come and see me again.

If ever I come to Northwarden again, you can be assured of it. Good day.

This also rewards the entire party with a +5 Barding skill, which isn't a gain to be sneezed at.

The final approach to Northwarden itself is a bit odd as the roadside is littered with corpses, but there are no ambushes and Northwarden itself is perfectly safe to enter.

As a fortification, however, Northwarden is less hospitable than, say, Highcastle. It only has a shop, a noble to harass(and he won't even be here until chapter 2!) and a small stash in the woods containing two sovereigns(which is, frankly, a pitiful amount of money at any stage of the game).

If Baron Gabot was in, we'd absolutely know, he fills almost half the screen.

And now, we're going to do all that in reverse.
What?!
It's absolutely the very last thing the Moredhel would expect.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Update 07: Lore Dump 3

Temples

Midkemia has a number of poorly detailed deities, only a few of which and whose divine orders contribute in any way to the stories.

Astalon, Guis-Wa, Killian and Silban are probably the four most irrelevant, who basically never feature in the stories, and all that we know is what we can glean from their titles.

Astalon: A god of justice/law and engineering.
Guis-Wa: A god of the hunt of some form
Killian: A nature goddess
Silban: Another nature goddess.

Then there's the selection of gods who actually participate in the world or are at least occasionally mentioned.

Banath: The god of thieves, Jimmy the Hand invokes them pretty often.
Dala: The Shield of the Weak, her order is part of a sideplot in Return to Krondor and thus actually somewhat relevant. Her faithful orphanages and helps the poor and downtrodden.
Kahooli: The god of vengeance, features in some way in both Betrayal and Return. They're a mixture of detectives helping local constables and bloody-handed vigilantes.
Ishap: The big metaplot god whose order is everywhere, mildly mysterious, refuses to tell anyone what's up, but probably relevant to preventing reality from collapsing. They do important things in Silverthorn and Return to Krondor and probably feature importantly in the later books, considering they get all apocalyptic and poo poo.
Lims-Kragma: The goddess of death, and basically the judge of who gets another roll on the wheel of reincarnation, tossed into oblivion or uplifted to some sort of divine but unspecified state after death. Her order is a notable part of Silverthorn, where Arutha gets their assistance in dealing with the Nighthawks because of the Black Slayers(Nighthawks who rise to fight again after death, an abomination in Lims-Kragma's eyes), but discover that even Lims-Kragma's faithful are daunted by the dark powers that animate the Black Slayers.
Prandur: A god of fire, one of his priests has a minor but important role in the novel between Betrayal and Return, The Assassins, which has no videogame based on it and isn't based on one either.
Ruthia: Goddess of luck, once again regularly invoked by Jimmy, especially when things go gently caress-shaped.
Sung: If a priest is healing someone in a Midkemia story, it's almost always a priest of Sung. A generic icon of purity and healing. His faith has a role in Return.
Tith-Onanka: The generic, jock-y war god. Soldiers have a minor belief that they get a night or two of feasting in his halls before they're off to Lims-Kragma's judgment. May or may not be true.

On top of that, there are several dead gods, some of which are actually more important to the setting than the living ones.

Drusala: The healing goddess before Sung
Eortis: The dead god of the sea, Killian keeps a hold of her portfolio for now.
Onanka-Tith: The other half of Tith-Onanka
Sarig: The dead god of magic, theorized as being why Midkemia has no Greater Path mages naturally.

How and why there are dead gods is a deeper lore question but, like most things in Midkemia lore that involve lots of damage being done to reality, you can blame the Valheru.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 29, 2021

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Ishap gets more detail later in the books. It doesn't precisely end up being plot relevant but there's some worldbuilding and a side story there, mostly involving Nakor for a while. I'm being vague because of spoilers.

also hi Kevin! Wasn't really expecting him. He's a fairly major character in the second trilogy of the books, the ones set on Kelewan and describing their side of the war; that's what he's referring to when he talks about his time with Lady Mara of the Acoma. (Probably the best of the books, as well. With a female protagonist, and a pretty well written one at that. Feist had a co author, and it shows.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quote:

If someone else can use their tactical megamind to solve this one without frying Owyn halfway to a crisp, go ahead and let me know.

OK, let’s do this.

First, push the left crystal one square forward. The cannon will fire at it and short out the green line trap.

Next, push the solid crystal forward to block that same cannon.

Last, push the center crystal to the left, so that the cannon at the back edge fires at the red line trap.

Now you can walk through safely.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Quackles posted:

Now you can walk through safely.

Hm, personally I wouldn't imagine the cannon would fire if there was a rod in the way, but I admit I haven't tried it.

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe
Logic is your enemy in 90' games.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Quackles posted:

OK, let’s do this.

Yeah, that was my thought too. Fairly similar to the "two interlocking keys to pull so you get the treasure instead of it getting dumped into lava" fake game ads you see sometimes. Just projected isometrically so it's more difficult to read.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Catching up a little. The tuning fork :allears:

I don't know if that's new to me or if I'd forgotten it. I think it's new. Learn something every day!

e: beaten to the puzzle situation but yes you use the cannons to blast the rods

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Tortolia posted:

Definitely didn't remember using consumables like the tuning fork, so I'm sure that made things more difficult! But like you said, since battles are ultimately finite I probably just assumed it was worth the effort to fight trolls just in case.

The thing about trolls is they never carry loot

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
When Purple mentioned finding a blue shell, I immediately thought 'Is that used to stun the most powerful enemy in a battle'?

Speaking of Draken-Smokey, does this game remind anyone else of Drakkhen, that French RPG that came out around the same time?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
The overworld travel reminds me a whole lot of Drakkhen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Guildenstern Mother posted:

The thing about trolls is they never carry loot

In fairness I was probably playing this when I was 13 or so, and there are definitely other games in that era I came back to later and realized that I was approaching them extremely incorrectly.