Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Psion posted:

I remember hearing a lot of Midkemia is basically a tabletop RPG scenario written down, I don't know if that's true or if everyone writing scenarios at the time was ripping off Tolkein so people just assume it's true. Whether it came out of TT or not, the Tolkein influence is there and real though it's not as shameless a lift as some others I could name.

Pretty sure it's Feist's homebrew high school and university D&D setting, yes. Apparently he stole the asian invaders wholesale from a D&D-contemporary 70s RPG (Empire of the Petal Throne)? Anyhow, Pug and Thomas were reportedly based on his and his best friend's characters which is why they are among the blandest and most generic protagonists in fantasy literature; no mean feat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Technical note, DOS games running in 320x200 aren't intended to be displayed with square pixels like this. All your screenshots are squashed.

For instance, this

Should look something like

The circles in the UI are now actual circles, etc.

For minimum distortion you want to point resize the 320x200 source to either 640x400 or 960x600, then do a filtered resize to 640x480 or 960x720, respectively. I used the latter since it was closer to your 900 width. You could do a filtered resize from 960x600 to 900x675 instead to be directly archivable. Doing a horizontal resize will distort the pixels more, but it's not like this is a pixel art game.

Your colors are also different from the screenshots I could find on mobygames and elsewhere. I have no idea why that is. If this is the GOG version I suspect it may be doing something weird, since the screenshots on GOG.com seem to likewise be all squashed and saturated.

Also, as someone who has only ever played the floppy version, hearing the CD audio just seems wrong.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Honestly didn't even notice something was off, it's how the GoG version defaults when windowed, and honestly how I recall it always looking when DOSBoxed. I'll see if I can figure out how to fix things. Perhaps I can, perhaps I can't.

There's an aspect correction setting in dosbox which determines if it will stretch 320x200 or not. You can try playing with that plus the scaler. You will likely need to make sure that the window resolution is an appropriate 4:3, either manually or in the .conf, don't believe dosbox deals with it well otherwise.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

I answered a ridiculously hyperbolic statement with another one. If you had said 'I think that Pug and Thomas are rather bland' I would have replied 'I don't think so'. They certainly aren't Amos Trask, but let's just agree to disagree.

Hey! That was my ridiculous statement, not Psion's. :colbert:

I'm not terribly offended here either, but I do think there's a difference between hyperbolic snark aimed at fictional characters written in the 80s by an author who is very likely not reading this LP and hyperbolic snark aimed directly at a poster in the thread. I try not to read too much tone over the internet but it read as though you took my piss-take personally, which certainly was not my intent. Happy to agree to disagree, in any case.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

I didn't get the riddle with BLADE as the answer

B is the first letter of Blessed, L is the second letter of Slow, and so on.