Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
I don't have words for those portraits, the wigs are killing me.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I don't think I've talked much about Macros before, but if Midkemia really was all based on a TTRPG game, then Macros the Hack was absolutely the worst kind of GMPC. Immortal, time-travelling, always right, planned for everything, has the biggest and the baddest and the coolest magics all of the time, every time. Literally every aspect of the books would've been better without him and, frankly, on top of that, he's never really all that necessary. Like, mostly what he does is show up at pivotal moments and smugly declare: "ah, yes, you see, what you did only worked out because I was working behind the scenes to make it work out." thus cheapening the struggles and accomplishments of everyone else involved in the books.

I didn't mind that while reading the books, but I agree with this reading. I didn't mind because I never cared about the heroes, so them getting short-changed narratively wasn't a problem. Pug and Tomas were interesting for the world building around them. The princes were nobility and gently caress that, even if I'm more accepting of nobles in a fantasy setting (I hate nobility in contemporary settings).

I was aware of the game in french magazines back then, and read the books years after that. Adaptation is a thing, and I'm more of a don't do it. If you have to adapt a book, I prefer an unfaithful adaptation who cares about the medium than a scrupulous one. Like cutting Tom Bombadil from the LOTR movies was the right call. I'm rambling, but my imagination and the covers of the french traduction of Feist's books don't agree with the dev in renfair costumes graphics.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah, that's the cover from the edition I read too.

Edit: And as an example of what I think is a great adaptation: Galaxy Quest, adapting Star Trek while being free from the baggage a real adaptation carry.

cugel fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 13, 2021

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Release dates is the way to go, so Betrayal in Antara. I tried Return to Krondor in the early 2000, but it didn't stick.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
His wig game was too weak, he never had a chance.